Best Fight Choreography Across the Series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Best Fight Choreography Across the Series?

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am

I'm watching clips from DBZ Movie 1, and holy cow, Goku and Piccolo's fight with Garlic's henchmen is really well choreographed and animated. Something about having the fights more grounded makes it a lot more exciting to me. Great music placement too.

So yeah...what are some of your favorite individual, short combat sequences across the series?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Best Fight Choreography Across the Series?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:20 am

DBZ movie 1 is totally up there for sure. That scene where Goku's flipping and dodging Nicky and Ginger's sword attacks is beyond amazing. It's not quite as good, but in movie 3 when Goku's dodging all the henchmen attacks, just the way he's looking to each side and cocking his head and parrying is pretty great; unfortunately it's just surrounded by PUNCHPUNCHPUNCHPUNCH animation.

From the first TV series, maybe episode 147? The Bruce Lee gut-punch is pretty fantastic. Maybe it's just that one frame that's such a striking visual, but the whole thing is pretty darn good.

The next thing that comes to mind is DBZ episode 31, where Goku's using Kaio-Ken against Vegeta and flying all over the place. That scene where he disappears off one side of the screen and appears on the other side is fantastic. Everything's A+ tier in this episode. The art is on point, the animation is on point, the colors are fantastic, and the choreography nails it.

My memory of GT's animation is pretty weak, so I don't really have anything in mind off-hand.

A nod I'll give to Super is probably the Vegetto versus Zamasu fight. Everything leading up to that face smash into the ground is also pretty solid all around.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:33 am

I want to give a shout out to this little piece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBiaTYAgg2A
Goku is quick to action, him using his legs to make up for his lack of arm (with how satisfying each kick and that spin is) is amazing and Zamasu catching him to try to render him useless but Goku risking the Kaio Ken on top of Blue (I love the KK being stacked on top of Blue personally) once again in the series to escape and deliver a blow with what the KK can give him to break free and shatter Zamasu's halo was MWAH and the music is the cherry on top

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:36 am

In no particular order:

Goku Black and Zamasu vs Goku and Future Trunks:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

SSJB Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

SSJ2 Goku vs Kid Boo
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

SSJ2 Goku vs SSJ2 Majin Vegeta
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Goku vs The Red Ribbon Army
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Goku vs Android 17
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Goku vs Turles henchmen
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Goku vs Dr. Wheelo's Bio-Warriors
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Janemba vs Everyone
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 am

Oh man, that sequence where Goku KO's all of Tales's henchmen at the same is so freaking cool and probably the best part of that entire movie.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 am

DBZ #232. Gokuu and Vegeta fight. The mix of slow and then bursts of fast hand to hand combat is incredible. The fight had such great tempo. Yama'uchi Shigeyasu was the director and he excels at that style of fighting and it is still Yamamuro's best piece of animation. Nozawa and Horikawa were at the top of their game. The music and SFX add so much weight to the intense fighting between two rivals. Yama'uchi's just too good of a director.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:01 am

I like the fast paced, fluid, and intense fights. Aside from all the one's mentioned, one of my favorite moments is the moment where Piccolo uses basically the sokidan against Goku which Goku evades for a while before stopping, then running on ring, disappearing before reappearing right in front of Piccolo while smiling and dodging right at the last second. You don't know exactly what Goku's up to before the final moment.

There's also a bunch of cool moments in the early part of the Freeza/Goku fight where Freeza and Goku are dodging each other's attacks and it really shows how agile each fighter is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am

My list in no particular order
    DBZ M1 AND 3 goku vs the henchmen,those figths were pretty badass
      Goku vs majin vegeta,the hth combat is incredible,the animation was fantastic and that figth was pretty intense,prop for yamamuro animation and Yama'uchi direction
        vegito vs merged zamas,is shida man no need to elaborate
          Goku vs cell,4 words studio cockpit
            tien vs goku,I'm referring to both of their figths
              goku vs vegeta,one of the most memorable figth in the franchise,the kaioken was so cool and that beam struggle was good with nozawa and the animation done by shimanuki
              Last edited by The gr on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
              Mostly active on discord.

MajinMan
              Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:13 am

Not sure if it's the best choreographed fight, but Vegeta vs Recoome is one of the most underrated ones in the entire series. It looks so good. Vegeta vs Ginyu was also pretty good from what I remember.

Another one is when Tenshinhan does the machine gun punches against Goku in the 22nd Budokai. That's also a pretty good looking episode that doesn't get talked about much.
              Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

8000 Saiyan
              I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:20 am

The choreography in the fight between Goku and Cell is quite underrated in my opinion.
              "It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

The gr
              I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 am

MajinMan wrote:Not sure if it's the best choreographed fight, but Vegeta vs Recoome is one of the most underrated ones in the entire series. It looks so good. Vegeta vs Ginyu was also pretty good from what I remember.

Another one is when Tenshinhan does the machine gun punches against Goku in the 22nd Budokai. That's also a pretty good looking episode that doesn't get talked about much.
              Vegeta vs recoome was really good,it was pretty intense,i can't beieve i didn't mention that figtht
              8000 Saiyan wrote:The choreography in the fight between Goku and Cell is quite underrated in my opinion.
              I mention that in my list,a figth that gets overlooked probaly because it wasn't the climax of the saga
              Mostly active on discord.

kemuri07
              Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:31 am

Yeah, Vegeta vs. Recoome is pretty damn great.

Personal favorites:

Nappa vs. Goku.

and the brutal beatdown that is Goku Kaioken X4 vs Vegeta.

Man I think the entire Vegeta saga has easily some of the best fights in the series.

SingleFringe&Sparks
              I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm not sure if best Choreography means most detailed movements or fights with the most diversified movements in them:

Though I think the Goku vs. Raditz fight is actually quite underrated as it was a Z-paced fight, but animated movements still looked like Martial Arts alike Dragonball.

I'll give other credit to Bardock's brief fights in The Father of Goku special, as he was probably the only character in the series that didn't just straight up brawl with the other characters, but all of his movements were always different and usually very tactical and evasive, a lot like Vegeta namek.

A personal favorite for me those is everything Turles did in the Tree of Might for these same values. It was made clear just by his evasion and timed hard-hits that he was reading through the attempts all the characters had against him. Very underrated.

Then I like Future Gohan Vs. 17 & 18 as it was one of the rare fights where it had the most variety of movements in the fight that made them iconic for Future Gohan. The flips, the pursuit and smokescreen, the right use of a barrier and the single arm blocking. It wasn't very martial-artist but it still shown he had actual skill and maneuverability as opposed to how predictable fights these days get in Super.

I also liked Ultimate Gohan vs. Super Buu for that as well, where though it was clearly another one-sided Gohan fight he at least had noticeable choreography to his strikes that weren't all the same things or a predictable Kamehameha.

Then there is SS3 Goku vs. Super Janemba, where I thought that fight really cemented the badassary of the form just in the movement and the brutality in the animation, along with Goku's close-ranged acrobatics.

^Same thing with Majin Vegeta vs. Majin Buu & Babidi. Very nimble, varied movements that were unique for Vegeta's character where it actually made him look skilled, and not just spamming ki blasts or just punching away things. One of his best in my opinion.
              Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 am

Without a doubt Yamamuro's Goku vs Vegeta from the Buu arc.
              [spoiler]

[/spoiler]
              The use of slow mo, the art, the animation, the facial expressions, the storyboarding. Everything is top notch. The fight choreography is the best thing about it. It's my favourite piece of animation in DBZ. Kai absolutely butchered this scene with its questionable editing.

Also, watching this is a constant reminder of how far Yamamuro has fallen. :cry:

Lord Beerus
              Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Without a doubt Yamamuro's Goku vs Vegeta from the Buu arc.
              [spoiler]

[/spoiler]
              The use of slow mo, the art, the animation, the facial expressions, the storyboarding. Everything is top notch. The fight choreography is the best thing about it. It's my favourite piece of animation in DBZ. Kai absolutely butchered this scene with its questionable editing.

Also, watching this is a constant reminder of how far Yamamuro has fallen. :cry:
              Yamamuro went from that to this:
              [spoiler]

[/spoiler]
              It's honestly really sad how much he's phoning it nowadays. Made even worse by the fact that other animators during the same period that Yamamuro, such as Shida and Tate, have gotten so much better as the years have gone by.

Ripper 30
              OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:DBZ #232. Gokuu and Vegeta fight. The mix of slow and then bursts of fast hand to hand combat is incredible. The fight had such great tempo. Yama'uchi Shigeyasu was the director and he excels at that style of fighting and it is still Yamamuro's best piece of animation. Nozawa and Horikawa were at the top of their game. The music and SFX add so much weight to the intense fighting between two rivals. Yama'uchi's just too good of a director.
              This ^ and in the DBZ Movie 1 there is a scene where Gokū Dodges Swords from Garlic Jr.'s Henchmen (skip to 0:22).
              Though there are many more but these 2 stand out for me.
              I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
              For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
              My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
              Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:21 am

the storyboarding. Everything is top notch. The fight choreography is the best thing about it. It's my favourite piece of animation in DBZ. Kai absolutely butchered this scene with its questionable editing.
              How do you know what the storyboarding was like?

It's been a while since I saw the scenes in Kai, but how was it butchered?
              The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:47 am

ABED wrote:
              the storyboarding. Everything is top notch. The fight choreography is the best thing about it. It's my favourite piece of animation in DBZ. Kai absolutely butchered this scene with its questionable editing.

Usually when referring to storyboarding in animation (at least from what I've seen in these forums) I'm referring to camera angles, character positions and framing to make something seem more interesting. I guess direction would've been a more appropriate word. I wish I had the storyboard for this scene. :lol:

And Buu Kai had this bad habit of editing action scenes to make them seem really fast, which lessened the impact of a lot of fights. The editing especially hurt here because the fight originally had an emphasis on slo mo. See for yourself.

ABED
              Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:19 am

I don't see it. THat's exactly how I remember it going in DBZ. I don't see the scene being ramped up. The moments are given time to breathe and allow the impact to land for the audience.

Ripper 30
              OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
              ABED wrote:

Usually when referring to storyboarding in animation (at least from what I've seen in these forums) I'm referring to camera angles, character positions and framing to make something seem more interesting. I guess direction would've been a more appropriate word. I wish I had the storyboard for this scene. :lol:

And Buu Kai had this bad habit of editing action scenes to make them seem really fast, which lessened the impact of a lot of fights. The editing especially hurt here because the fight originally had an emphasis on slo mo. See for yourself.
              I think this Epic scene from DBZ was totally butchered in Kai and I am mainly talking about the hype for the First Punch that Gokū hits vegeta with and how in Original there are flashes off it but in Kai its all rushed.
              I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
              For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
              My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30