Mr. Buu’s Voice: English vs. Japanese

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Mr. Buu’s Voice: English vs. Japanese

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Tian wrote:
floofychan333 wrote: Yeah, exactly. I can't figure out for the life of me how Josh Martin manages to do that. The Japanese voice is way better in this case and has an enormous edge over the English voice not enjoyed by other voices in the original.
There are two possibilites : either the guy inhales helium before recording Buu or he has pretty darn good voice range.
I'll go with the first possibility.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Tian wrote:
floofychan333 wrote: Yeah, exactly. I can't figure out for the life of me how Josh Martin manages to do that. The Japanese voice is way better in this case and has an enormous edge over the English voice not enjoyed by other voices in the original.
There are two possibilites : either the guy inhales helium before recording Buu or he has pretty darn good voice range.
It seems to be the second one :
https://youtu.be/n9PBBuBP3-k

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Tian wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Tian wrote:
It seems to be the second one :
https://youtu.be/n9PBBuBP3-k
Oh, should have figured.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:01 am

For Fat Boo I can't say I enjoy the English dub version of Boo. In the Japanese dub, Boo is actually fairly intelligent, albiet selfish and a tad childlike. If he doesnt know something, its simply because he doesn't know much about the present time since he was locked up for years. The dub makes him sound like a complete immature baby and very stupid. Why does his vocab need to be that of a 3 year old? He absorbed two Kais in case people forgot! It just shows how a voice can completely change a character if not done right. His dub voice is way worse. It sounds like they put a five year old girl on helium and told her to make her voice as high as possible, and to never use pronouns. They just over exxagerated a certain trait of his character in dub.

just watch other dubs like Spanish, German, Portuguese, Brazilian, Italian, French, each one of them got it correct but FUNimation dub made boo from a demon manchild too a Tele tubbie retard Elmo with no brain and that's why FUNi dub boo is hard to take seriously. Boo's Japanese Voice Actor Kozo Shioya shows both goofy and angry side of boo without sounding extremely high pitched unlike Martin's Boo who sounds like he's doing Hello Kitty voice .
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 am

Love his Funi dub voice and the way they wrote how he speaks as I feel it gives the character more distinctness. I feel a bit underwhelmed with the Japanese voice, not that the actor is doing anything bad nor the voice bad, it just doesn't give me enough personality and uniqueness for the character. Generally I don't like high pitched voices, but Buu's I tend to like a lot and feels comfortable to listen to surprisingly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 am

Kokonoe wrote:Love his Funi dub voice and the way they wrote how he speaks as I feel it gives the character more distinctness. I feel a bit underwhelmed with the Japanese voice, not that the actor is doing anything bad nor the voice bad, it just doesn't give me enough personality and uniqueness for the character. Generally I don't like high pitched voices, but Buu's I tend to like a lot and feels comfortable to listen to surprisingly.
How is his Japanese voice not distinct?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:01 am

ABED wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:Love his Funi dub voice and the way they wrote how he speaks as I feel it gives the character more distinctness. I feel a bit underwhelmed with the Japanese voice, not that the actor is doing anything bad nor the voice bad, it just doesn't give me enough personality and uniqueness for the character. Generally I don't like high pitched voices, but Buu's I tend to like a lot and feels comfortable to listen to surprisingly.
It....sounds like various other voices I've heard in Japanese anime. Not bad once again, I just feel like I've heard similar sounding voices in other shows to the point it doesn't do enough for me in comparison to Josh Martin's high pitched yet soft sounding voice. I like the contrast between how he talks normally and when angry, it fits the character's ridiculous and child-like nature.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:16 am

Kokonoe wrote:
ABED wrote:
It....sounds like various other voices I've heard in Japanese anime. Not bad once again, I just feel like I've heard similar sounding voices in other shows to the point it doesn't do enough for me in comparison to Josh Martin's high pitched yet soft sounding voice. I like the contrast between how he talks normally and when angry, it fits the character's ridiculous and child-like nature.
It's very distinct. You can pick that voice out of a line up.

Martin's performance doesn't fit a child like nature, it just sound high pitched.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:38 am

ABED wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
ABED wrote:How is his Japanese voice not distinct?

Martin's performance doesn't fit a child like nature, it just sound high pitched.
Exactly, Kozo Shioya clearly Distinguishes between Fat Boo's Childish and Angry side but Martin's Voice is just plain annoying like he's doing some girly impression , its not childish but plain annoying and when he gets angry it's unbearable specially the very High Pitched scream even the voice that pan makes while crying is more bearable than Martin's Boo. I might even say it's on par with Linda Young's Freeza voice for me as far as worse FUNimation dub voices are concerned.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 am

The best word to describe it is "shrill".

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:38 pm

ABED wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
ABED wrote:How is his Japanese voice not distinct?

Feel the opposite tbh. Funi voice definitely feels childish and silly, and I just can't agree the JPN performance is super distinct or anything as I've heard very similar voices before in other Japanese anime.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:22 pm

No child sounds like that. It's shrill, not childlike.

I've heard similar voices to Kōzō Shioya as well, but just similar, not the same. I can pick him out easily.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Like many of the more divergent Funi dub choices (see King Kai) it's one of those holdovers from a different era of dubbing that they can't really change because people expect it now. Fortunately, unlike say, Linda Young's Frieza (which they did change and rightly so), the approach still fits the character. I've seen English and Japanese Buu as well, and both versions capture the same idea, which is that he sounds and acts disarmingly childlike compared to his reputation.
I still think they can just modify some of the voices they have now to ease out the cartoony things that they have added onto them a bit though, like King Kai's voice. I'd like to hear Sean try it without the garggly sound to see if it makes a difference, even if he is still locked into the character cast.

With Buu, its really about modifying him too. In the games hes always sounded different. In the Tenkaichi games hes sounded a lot more exaggerated and his dialogue was somewhat exaggerated, as opposed to Buu in Budokai 2, where he was softer-sounding and more toddler-like rather than how bratty he sounded in Tenkaichi and carried over in Super.
Buu in the Blue Water GT dub though, sounded a lot closer to the Japanese Buu though.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:44 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
With Buu, its really about modifying him too. In the games hes always sounded different. In the Tenkaichi games hes sounded a lot more exaggerated and his dialogue was somewhat exaggerated, as opposed to Buu in Budokai 2, where he was softer-sounding and more toddler-like rather than how bratty he sounded in Tenkaichi and carried over in Super.
Buu in the Blue Water GT dub though, sounded a lot closer to the Japanese Buu though.
Yeah, even in the Z dub, it was more 'soft' compared to TFC and Super.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:51 am

ABED wrote:No child sounds like that. It's shrill, not childlike.

I've heard similar voices to Kōzō Shioya as well, but just similar, not the same. I can pick him out easily.
Choji from Naruto may sound similar to it but I can still pick Shioya's Boo. They tried to dumb down an already dumb character in FUNimation and It sounded like an Elmo even when he was supposed to kill Babidi, even a 3 year old can form words better than FUNi Boo that's how retarded it sounds for me and I would rather hear Linda's Freeza over it.
Kataphrut wrote:Like many of the more divergent Funi dub choices (see King Kai) it's one of those holdovers from a different era of dubbing that they can't really change because people expect it now. Fortunately, unlike say, Linda Young's Frieza (which they did change and rightly so), the approach still fits the character. I've seen English and Japanese Buu as well, and both versions capture the same idea, which is that he sounds and acts disarmingly childlike compared to his reputation.
I still think they can just modify some of the voices they have now to ease out the cartoony things that they have added onto them a bit though, like King Kai's voice. I'd like to hear Sean try it without the garggly sound to see if it makes a difference, even if he is still locked into the character cast.

The Three voices that should have been Recasted in Kai were, Kaiō, Android 19 and Fat Boo but instead of giving someone better a chance they retained the same voices in Kai dub. Yes I agree Blue Waters Dub Fat Boo Sounded the closest to Japanese voice.

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Yeah, even in the Z dub, it was more 'soft' compared to TFC and Super.
If Josh Martin used a little more Lower Pitched Voice than his usual voice and made boo speak properly then it could have been fitting in Kai dub but it was even more shrill this time specially in the scenes where Boo power ups.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 am

I like the Japanese one because it makes him sound like a demon.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Ripper 30 wrote: Choji from Naruto may sound similar to it but I can still pick Shioya's Boo. They tried to dumb down an already dumb character in FUNimation and It sounded like an Elmo even when he was supposed to kill Babidi, even a 3 year old can form words better than FUNi Boo that's how retarded it sounds for me and I would rather hear Linda's Freeza over it.
I still think Buu's voice is a carrier over from when Buu was cast to impersonate Scott Mcniel's Buu which sounded like that, which I think Buu was made to sound like that based on his looks, like what they probably did with Freeza. Linda young was just the impression of the woman that did Freeza's voice in the Ocean dub as well which were bad casts from the start.
Ripper 30 wrote: The Three voices that should have been Recasted in Kai were, Kaiō, Android 19 and Fat Boo but instead of giving someone better a chance they retained the same voices in Kai dub. Yes I agree Blue Waters Dub Fat Boo Sounded the closest to Japanese voice.
I do think King Kai should be recast as well but I just ignore it as hes not really that important anymore. With Buu I wouldn't mind it either but its the same VA that does kid Buu as well I think, so it seems unnecessary - he should just change his voice to a lower range and a articulate a bit clearer. I mean they changed Super Buu inflections (which I actually dislike personally) but they can. I think Kid Buu's voice is also somewhat higher pitched now these days as well.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Linda young was just the impression of the woman that did Freeza's voice in the Ocean dub as well which were bad casts from the start.
While Pauline Newstone was miscast as Freeza, she gave a good performance for what it was and she has a really interesting voice. The same can not be said for Linda Young's take.