Does anyone find movie 13 under-appreciated?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Does anyone find movie 13 under-appreciated?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Out of the original 17 Dragon Ball films, the 13th DBZ movie is probably my personal favorite. I’d even go so far as to say that I kind of prefer it over Battle of Gods.

Out of all the Dragon Ball films, DBZ movie 13 is probably the one that feels the most like an actual movie. It introduced character with a surprisingly strong backstory in the form of Tapion, and it gave Kid Trunks better characterization than Toriyama ever provided. On top of that, it had some downright gorgeous animation. My only real gripe with the movie is that it’s probably the one Dragon Ball film that should’ve been longer.

With that being said, the movie doesn’t really seem to get talked about all that much. Even as far as the pre-BoG movies are concerned, the 12th DBZ movie seems to get more love. So do you think movie 13 has kind of been ignored by the fandom?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Does anyone find movie 13 under-appreciated?

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:02 pm

No, 12 and 13 are generally agreed to be the best out of the original 13 movies. 13 gets the recognition it deserves.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 pm

I don't get that sense. I think the movie is well regarded. I like the movie a lot, though I don't agree that the movie gives Trunks actual characterization that wasn't there already. Tapion had an interesting backstory, but that isn't what I found interesting about him. Sad backstories are easy. His sweet relationship with Trunks was what I found interesting. The problem I have with the movie is the villain(s). I think it's the right length.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 pm

The movies are pretty overrated anyway but I thought 13 was among the better ones. Tapion was a cool character who I'd like to see appear in more media.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Not really since DBZ Movie 13 has a lot of love since back in the day. Even before it was dubbed, Movie 12 and 13 was well like by fans.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Movie 13 gets plenty of love, but outside of this site the first 3 dbz movies don't get talked about at all. I think those 3 are the next best after 12, 13 and BOG.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:16 am

I think it would have been the best Z movie if it wasn't for the "Goku saves the day" ending. He literally stole the show and told Trunks to fuck off so he can one shot the final boss by himself. Ruined the movie a little for me, but it's still one of the better ones for sure.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:39 am

Wow, some really take issue with Goku being the hero.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:38 am

ABED wrote:Wow, some really take issue with Goku being the hero.
In all fairness, most of the movie up to that point had focused on Trunks and Tapion, so some would’ve preferred if it was one of them who defeated the bad guy. I personally don’t have a problem with Goku defeating the bad guy, but I can sort of see why others don’t like it in the context of the film.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:54 am

I don't believe it's underappreciated.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:05 am

One possible reason it feels under-appreciated it's the lack of coverage from the video games.

The boss of the film is a giant butterfly dragon(albeit a cool one) and many main series video games are not including it as a playable character.Tapion is also underused and I can't understand why,he'so freakin cool.

The movie villains that get all the love are probably Broly,Cooler and Janemba(the slimmed down form).We can make a case for Turles,Slug and Bojack.Hirudergarn and Dr.Wheelo are the most forgotten by the video games industry,and that's a shame.Movie 13 is my favourite too(from the 13 original DBZ movies ofc,now BoG holds that title.)
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:08 am

WittyUsername wrote:
In all fairness, most of the movie up to that point had focused on Trunks and Tapion, so some would’ve preferred if it was one of them who defeated the bad guy. I personally don’t have a problem with Goku defeating the bad guy, but I can sort of see why others don’t like it in the context of the film.
The fact that Trunks is the focus doesn't mean he has the strength to defeat the bad guy. Trunks played his part, but Goku just got the final hit.

Hirudegarn is a giant monster. Does he even have a line of dialog? I don't think there's much you can do with that, so 45-50 minutes is a good length for the movie.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:32 am

I just think it wasn't his story. He was clearly a background character in this movie up until the very end. This is probably the only instance where I would have preferred it if Goku wasn't the hero.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:39 am

He's still not the hero of the story. He delivers the final blow. He may not have been the focal point, but he still needs to play an important role. DB is his story, after all.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Is DBZ Movie 13 really under-appreciated? I mean, I've always seen that the only DBZ movies pre-BOG and ROF that were showered with the most praise from the fandom was Movie 12 ans 13.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Maybe this has become the case in recent years, but my initial thought when I read the title thread was a resound "No." It's generally held as being one of the best. It just doesn't have as memorable a villain as many others, which it makes up for in spades with an original protagonist.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Aa great as the movie is, I feel the reason fans can't appreciate it more than they have is because it's essentially an elseworld's tale and didn't amount to anything so it's hard to really appreciate it beyond "a fun time with my favourite DB characters" had it lead to something in GT for example then it would have been different for eg this current arc of DBS makes me now appreciate Resurrection "F" even more now I know something from that film amounted to something later on.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Talking about underappreciation and under-representation in games? Talk about the androids movie!

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:59 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Well, Goku is the most important character, we always see him in the movies even though he is in the afterlife. You can't really complain about it. If Goku is alive he will defeat the enemy.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 am

If I don't, WHO WILL ?! Image

That movie provided what is more than likely the BEST individual move in the history of the show. Or at least the coolest one.
El Conejo Malo