Best way to back up my DVDs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Best way to back up my DVDs?

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Forte224 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Triple post hype. Sorry. So I got it to work now, there were some smudges (maybe scratches too?) on the disc and wiping a little let the episode go through. I don't know, this guy claimed he took the boxes out of the packaging and never watched them but I'm starting to wonder. All the discs in Box 3 are out of order too. Discs 13-15 were all in each other's spots instead of their own. Same with 16-18. Better rip all these quick and make sure they work before the eBay guarantee runs out :think:
Yikes, that does sound fishy.
I'm not sure what to do. Boxes 1, 2 and 4 the discs look brand new. I messaged him so we'll see. Haven't checked the later discs. *Sigh* eBay
Well he replied within an hour. Said they were up on a high shelf and never played and he doesn't know who would've opened the cases and touched the discs. He says to keep in touch but he'll be on "the carrier" for the next week and promises to respond after next week if there's issues. He seems genuine but I guess I still feel suspicious. Evetything except 95 has played perfectly up to Box 4 so far so, meh. Anyway, just updating the story for any interested

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:05 pm

"The carrier", sure, how convenient for him.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:15 pm

KBABZ wrote:"The carrier", sure, how convenient for him.
I don't know, he seems genuine, I have his personal cell number, he replies quickly, and he gave me the day he'd be back and there's been no more disc issues yet (still ripping box 4) so I think I'm clear. But yeah the carrier thing is random

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Forte224 wrote:Triple post hype. Sorry. So I got it to work now, there were some smudges (maybe scratches too?) on the disc and wiping a little let the episode go through. I don't know, this guy claimed he took the boxes out of the packaging and never watched them but I'm starting to wonder. All the discs in Box 3 are out of order too. Discs 13-15 were all in each other's spots instead of their own. Same with 16-18. Better rip all these quick and make sure they work before the eBay guarantee runs out :think:
Man I had a similar thing happen to me. On mine it looked like they used one of those cheap disc repair device and the fluid smudged all the discs.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
Man I had a similar thing happen to me. On mine it looked like they used one of those cheap disc repair device and the fluid smudged all the discs.
Well after ripping all 291 through MakeMKV I can confirm all other discs worked fine. There were a couple that had little scratches on the innermost ring on the back side of the disc but it didn't affect ripping at all. So I guess it's legit. It was just that one Box 3 that seemed used.

MakeMKV worked great btw, and even from Box 4 onwards the episodes being one giant video file were no problem. I'd just locate the exact time stamp for each intro in MKVToolNix and split them up that way. Thanks everyone for the tips

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
Well after ripping all 291 through MakeMKV I can confirm all other discs worked fine. There were a couple that had little scratches on the innermost ring on the back side of the disc but it didn't affect ripping at all. So I guess it's legit. It was just that one Box 3 that seemed used.

MakeMKV worked great btw, and even from Box 4 onwards the episodes being one giant video file were no problem. I'd just locate the exact time stamp for each intro in MKVToolNix and split them up that way. Thanks everyone for the tips
One thing with MakeMKV is every month you'll need a key to reactivate it, but that's it. So if you plan to use it for other things and it says you need a key just look up "MakeMKV key" and you should be able to find it easily. Also MakeMKV works with blu rays. But yeah I love MakeMKV and MKVToolNix both are great for adding audio and subtitles to anime.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53 pm

This is random, but I have a picture quality question that may have to do with how I backed up the DVDs? I don't know. So I've been looking at the DB Kai Boo cut over on the fan works page which uses Dragon Box footage. For some reason his video seems to have less intense grain. Is there a reason for this? Would it be something I messed up in ripping the video, or is there no real difference and I'm going crazy? Sorry I know very little about this type of stuff. Zooming in will make the difference more clear. The one on the left is my personal Dragon Box footage and the right side is the custom Boo Kai footage:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:32 am

Maybe he's using the Regraded Dragon Box footage? I noticed my Boxes had a lot of grain in them, I figured that's because the footage was 15 years old at the time...