Kameha-con 2018!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Kameha-con 2018!!

Post by NeverRamza » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:22 pm

An odd metric to gauge popularity, but at the anime cons I've been to, the draw of a TFS panel that is typically at least 90% Dragon Ball related completely blows away the audience that shows up for a more straight Dragon Ball panel. You end up hearing of a lot of people who've maintained their interest or were even introduced to Dragon Ball through the panel.

TFS really worked that meme-magic.

That being said, I'll likely be lurking this convention because why the heck not, something to do on a weekend. Say hi if you're an oldie.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:11 am

Ozotto wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ozotto wrote:
Funimation got permission to dub DBZ into English.

Is that far of a stretch that they couldn't just get permission to make another dub... they would just need to cut a deal with TFS
That stretch of logic makes no sense on multiple levels. Adding the TFS dub to DVDs is illegal. Completely different with actually licensing a show. And they won't have to cut a deal with TFS. They'd have to go to Toei, and considering Toeis past record with TFS that will never happen. People have to accept that.

But thats off topic so let's move on.
It's only illegal... if it's not officially licensed...
Let's say tomorrow Funimation went to Toei and said "hey we wanna redub or do another dub of DBZ" and Toei was like okay sure.
Funimation went to TFS and hired them to record basically the same stuff but done "officially".
It might be silly, but couldn't you just say it's creative freedom and making it more palatable for a modern western audience?
This doesn't seem impossible.
You mean what happened with they tried to get TFS for Kai? It’s not happening.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:38 am

ABED wrote:You keep thinking he has this sort of power. He doesn't.
You do realize he voices one of the, if not the, biggest character in animated history right? Its not that implausible to think he could use that to influence who comes and who doesn't. He could have easily told them he wouldn't do it and maybe even convince others from Funi to do the same.
Bad analogy. I have direct experience with the heat, even if I don't touch the flame.
You've had direct experience with the evidence presented in this thread through screenshots and links, yet still doubt, so no the analogy seems pretty accurate.
Did you write millions? God dammit, now I'm sad.
Sounds like you've never been to YouTube before. You see underneath every video there's these numbers. They represent how many times the video has been played. On almost every single video TFS has, that number has 7 digits or more.

If I'm wrong about Schemmel then fine I'll admit it after May 6th.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:57 am

Son Gara wrote:
ABED wrote:You keep thinking he has this sort of power. He doesn't.
You do realize he voices one of the, if not the, biggest character in animated history right? Its not that implausible to think he could use that to influence who comes and who doesn't. He could have easily told them he wouldn't do it and maybe even convince others from Funi to do the same.
Bad analogy. I have direct experience with the heat, even if I don't touch the flame.
You've had direct experience with the evidence presented in this thread through screenshots and links, yet still doubt, so no the analogy seems pretty accurate.
Did you write millions? God dammit, now I'm sad.
Sounds like you've never been to YouTube before. You see underneath every video there's these numbers. They represent how many times the video has been played. On almost every single video TFS has, that number has 7 digits or more.

If I'm wrong about Schemmel then fine I'll admit it after May 6th.
And he was one of a number of voices in the last 20 years. I like Schemmel's performance, but Goku's popularity was not because of him.

I don't have direct experience. I'm reading twitter feeds often second hand ones that don't tell the whole story.

I've been on youtube, but I've never stopped to look at their view count. Ugh, how can something so awful be so popular? Regardless, they have no influence. As... popular (I'm trying to keep my food down)... as they are, that doesn't mean they've influenced the show.

And more to the point, why do you care if this has nothing to do with you?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:10 am

Robo, no, in the first comment I was referring to TFS not funimation. FUNi licensed DB for NA, so of course they have influence.

I never said you claimed TFS created "it's over 9000" but I do know some meme creator in the last decade or so claims credit. Regardless, what influence has that meme had? All of you are so vague about that.
And, I've gotta say, "effect on the overall popularity of the franchise" is probably one of the worst metrics to measure influence there is
I'm not the one who brought it up! Ratings aren't a great way to measure influence because ratings don't measure influence. They measure views. Also, you're comparing live views with total views.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:15 am

Is it a life goal for you to shit up every thread on this forum with your contrarian attitude, ABED? I'm legitimately curious here.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:20 am

MrTennek wrote:Is it a life goal for you to shit up every thread on this forum with your contrarian attitude, ABED? I'm legitimately curious here.
Your wording doesn't sound like you are actually curious. In any case, it's not every thread, and heaven forbid someone have a different opinion than what's popular. For this thread in particular, I wonder why anyone cares that damn much and are trying to play detective, dissecting and analyzing every single word, over something so trivial that doesn't affect you?

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:37 am

ABED wrote:And he was one of a number of voices in the last 20 years. I like Schemmel's performance, but Goku's popularity was not because of him.
He's been the main voice for the character for almost two decades at this point. Yes he's one of the major influences on the popularity of the character in this region with the younger generation of fans, you can see that even on this site.
I don't have direct experience. I'm reading twitter feeds often second hand ones that don't tell the whole story.
And that is something you directly experienced from reading and responding to this thread. What aren't you getting about that? The whole story won't come to light until after the disclosures are up after the event.
Ugh, how can something so awful be so popular? Regardless, they have no influence.
Again, subjective opinion =/= fact.
And more to the point, why do you care if this has nothing to do with you?
I've already told you why I care. Go back and read my responses.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:51 am

If you changed the voice, it wouldn't matter. DB would still keep trucking along. It is abundantly clear that DB in America is pretty much bulletproof regardless of whom gets cast, including walk ins, which is essentially what FUNi's in-house cast was. If he had nearly as much pull as you guys claim, he would be much wealthier.
I've already told you why I care. Go back and read my responses.
It was a question not aimed at any one person. I get it, you think he's a bully. And? It wouldn't be the first time an actor has been a dick. You all are making a far bigger deal out of this than you need to. We aren't getting the whole story, and probably won't. I would rather they deal with it like mature adults behind closed doors.

Reading something like this on a computer isn't a direct experience. I have no face to face interactions with any of the people involved, and unless it somehow involved me or had a measurable impact on my life, I wouldn't care.
Again, subjective opinion =/= fact.
And saying they have influence doesn't make it so.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:52 am

ABED wrote: I've been on youtube, but I've never stopped to look at their view count. Ugh, how can something so awful be so popular? Regardless, they have no influence. As... popular (I'm trying to keep my food down)... as they are, that doesn't mean they've influenced the show

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks DBZ abridged is terrible. It’s literally the bane of my existence. If Funi ever tried to instate as anything near “official”, I’d be more pissed at them than I was about the cancellation of the Level Set BDs
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm

This is getting pretty nasty; I thought this thread was supposed to be about Kameha-con.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:28 am

Me too... This IS getting pretty out of hand.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:17 am

Well, I'm glad to hear that Kelamis is going.

Let's hope that there's no bloodshed in the con or some shit like that.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:19 pm

This thread has veered drastically beyond its purpose now.
MrTennek wrote:Is it a life goal for you to shit up every thread on this forum with your contrarian attitude, ABED? I'm legitimately curious here.
ABED wrote:Your wording doesn't sound like you are actually curious. In any case, it's not every thread, and heaven forbid someone have a different opinion than what's popular. For this thread in particular, I wonder why anyone cares that damn much and are trying to play detective, dissecting and analyzing every single word, over something so trivial that doesn't affect you?
MrTennek, this is not an appropriate way to speak to another member of the forum. However, the sentiment behind it rings true. ABED, you've been warned before about your constant need to push your anti-TFS opinions around where they have no relevance. You continually derail threads with it.

On a totally separate issue, your contrarian-for-the-sake-of-being-contrarian and endless back-and-forths shtick is getting old at this point. It's time to stop and totally rethink your approach to this forum. Everyone's welcome to their own opinion, but it's important to consider when and where your input is actually worth it.

-

For the sake of clarity, here is a summary of events:

Mirror of the Kelamis' original message.

Schemmel has yet to deny being the person Kelamis is referring to, tweeting "fuck off" to people "calling him out", which he quickly deleted. Schemmel has been indirectly "called out" by many fellow voice actors, including Sean Chiplock, Kaiji Tang, and Alejandro Saab.

In a response to a meme depicting him removing Kelamis from Kameha Con, Schemmel replied with this tweet, saying that ultimately it was Kameha Con's decision since, as a guest, he cannot ban people. When asked directly if he was the person Kelamis was referring to, Schemmel declined to answer.

Peter Kelamis has yet to mention Schemmel by name, but has liked a Tweet asking if he was the one responsible. We also know that Schemmel had blocked Kelamis on Twitter, which matches Kelamis' letter. It's been an open secret for years that other "dub Goku" actors aren't to be at cons with Schemmel.

Schemmel then began engaging fans criticizing his Goku Black voice. This went on for about 15 minutes, after which Schemmel began to delete his tweets using Tweet Delete. Moments later, Kelamis tweeted that he will be attending after all, as "the pertinent parties" have spoken on the phone and "cleared the air". This likely happened during the 24 hour gap between Schemmel liking this supportive tweet and deleting every Tweet he's ever made.

Kameha Con has formally announced Schemmel's attendance, and thanked him for his "professional" behavior.

-

The thread will remain locked until further Kamehacon details are unveiled.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:57 pm

With the news that Ryo Horikawa has been announced for the con, I'm happy to unlock this thread now:

Please keep the previous warnings in mind, and stay strictly on-topic.

Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Oh my God! And that's not even all the announcements. If they announce Nozawa next, I'm gonna regret not getting tickets
Caulifla best girl! :)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Holy crap. I'm just imagining an all Vegeta panel right now... God, that sounds amazing.

Goddamn I wish I could go. :lol:

I presume the panels (Or most of them?) will go up on YouTube at some point in the future?

BryantRod

Post by BryantRod » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:44 pm

(First post but on subject..)

Jesus, three Vegeta’s? That’s a damn bundle and I love it. Wish I could go, but my wallet won’t forgive me after that. A three-way Final Flash will give everyone orgasms.

I wonder if Masako Nozawa will come.. I’ll be surprised if she does, even. I haven’t kept up with her personal health, but wasn’t there some sort of minor recording issues during her Gohan recordings a year ago or two in Super?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 pm

BryantRod wrote:(First post but on subject..)
Welcome to Kanzenshuu. :)
BryantRod wrote:I wonder if Masako Nozawa will come.. I’ll be surprised if she does, even. I haven’t kept up with her personal health, but wasn’t there some sort of minor recording issues during her Gohan recordings a year ago or two in Super?
Well, she's like 80, so during the Black arc, they minimised the role of Goten, so as to not put unnecessary strain on her voice, with her already having to record for Goku, Goku Black, and Gohan.

From what I hear, though, she doesn't do many English conventions, so she's unlikely. She might do it. But... Yeah, unlikely. It'd be really cool, though.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Where's all those people who said it was a dub-centric and dub-only con?

You should know if I'm involved, it wont be all about the dub.

As if they have a minutia of understanding of what it takes to get a deal like this done. The convention has been trying to get this deal done for 8 months.

No, Nozawa is not coming this year due to prior commitments. Horikawa is the last of the big guests and I'm happy its finally out now.

Wait til you hear about the panels.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ