Kameha-con 2018!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Kameha-con 2018!!

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 am

majinwarman wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm thinking more about the con's reputation. Who's running Kameha-Con?
That is anyone's guess at this point. The only person who has that answer is Geekdom101, voice actors, and the other hosts like Ajay.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:No idea why people involved with the convention have been silent about that.
I was booked through a separate talent agency: Bradley Zone Booking, and they've acted as the link between the 'money' and the 'talent'. I actually had no idea who on earth was running the con until your post, so thanks for that. Good to know!

This whole Schemmel and Kelamis thing is a pretty unfortunate situation. I don't know who made what decision, or if there's any resolution, but I just hope it doesn't affect the overall atmosphere of the convention.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 am

Ajay wrote:This whole Schemmel and Kelamis thing is a pretty unfortunate situation. I don't know who made what decision, or if there's any resolution, but I just hope it doesn't affect the overall atmosphere of the convention.
I'd say it will be fine outside of the panels Schemmel is doing. What I'm worried about is how this might jeopardize future Dragon Ball conventions that we could have had multiple Gokus at, possibly even Richard Ian Cox if Ocean Kai airs on the new cable channel launching in Canada this year. I'd hate to think the organizers would feel threatened because Schemmel demands no other actors can make appearances and do Q&As and signings for fans of their Goku who would be happy to attend and support them.

I applaud Kelamis for his proffesionalism not naming Schemmel in his announcement because he doesn't deserve any of his crap.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:51 am

I think it’s obvious that Sean paid the convention owner to do this. Money is a powerful thing. As for my opinion I’m very disappointed that he did this. I may not be going to the convention myself, but still low blow Sean. If this gets out let’s hope he loses his job. I would not be surprised if by the time the ToP arc airs in English we get a new Goku & Kaio. For Kaio that wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:12 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I think it’s obvious that Sean paid the convention owner to do this. Money is a powerful thing. As for my opinion I’m very disappointed that he did this. I may not be going to the convention myself, but still low blow Sean. If this gets out let’s hope he loses his job. I would not be surprised if by the time the ToP arc airs in English we get a new Goku & Kaio. For Kaio that wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.
This con's got nothing to do with FUNi so he's not losing his job, and even then being a dick is hardly anything to fire him over. I doubt he bribed them but I do think he gave them an ultimatum either him or Peter.

Peter did say he's still free so hopefully something can get sorted out now the news has been out about what really happened.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:19 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I think it’s obvious that Sean paid the convention owner to do this. Money is a powerful thing. As for my opinion I’m very disappointed that he did this. I may not be going to the convention myself, but still low blow Sean. If this gets out let’s hope he loses his job. I would not be surprised if by the time the ToP arc airs in English we get a new Goku & Kaio. For Kaio that wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.
I'd say the organizers wanted Schemmel to attend and were given an ultimatum as Baggie Saiyan said. Unfortunately it appears they gave in and let him have his way. Its a shame because Kelamis was a huge draw in the same way Drummond was for the fans who aren't as big fan of the Texas cast, which is fine, art is subjective and all that, but thats why this whole thing is such a travesty. I'd like to see as many divisions of this fanbase as possible to all be at this convention to celebrate together, and I'm sure Geekdom101 feels the same way, although, as we all know this is beyond his control.

Schemmel is more than likely already well into recording his dialogue for the ToP, but either way Funimation won't fire him for this. And I don't want Schemmel recast because he does a fantastic job playing Goku, I just want him to stop being a prick towards other English Gokus, but his pride is probably too great for that to happen.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:24 am

I really doubt that he'll get replaced by someone else just because he was a dick to Kelamis.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
I really doubt that he'll get replaced by someone else just because he was a dick to Kelamis.
Ofc he won't. Private life is private life and job is the other thing.

However, I hope more and more people will get to know that this guy doesn't deserve any respect.

I remember how he was mad at someone from Kanzenshuu because he criticized his performance as Goku, then this affair with Goku Black and English accent, now this.

This guy just can't stand some constructive criticism.

That's obnoxious. He is behaving as if he were a little baby.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:29 am

Ajay wrote:This whole Schemmel and Kelamis thing is a pretty unfortunate situation. I don't know who made what decision, or if there's any resolution, but I just hope it doesn't affect the overall atmosphere of the convention.
I hope so too. This is an ugly situation that could turn into a debacle now that word is spreading about it. I'm not attending myself but it'd be awful if things go sour for the attendees because of this.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:37 am

Why is Geekdom silent on this issue? Isnt he hosting this?

Where are you, big guy?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:48 am

Mercenary wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ofc he won't. Private life is private life and job is the other thing.

However, I hope more and more people will get to know that this guy doesn't deserve any respect.

I remember how he was mad at someone from Kanzenshuu because he criticized his performance as Goku, then this affair with Goku Black and English accent, now this.

This guy just can't stand some constructive criticism.

That's obnoxious. He is behaving as if he were a little baby.
For a guy that is in his late 40's, you'd think he'd be more mature.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:04 pm

The only Goku he doesn’t see as a threat is Nozawa herself.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:Why is Geekdom silent on this issue? Isnt he hosting this?

Where are you, big guy?
I don't blame Geekdom, as the guy hosting this event the last thing he wants to do is get on Schemmel's bad side. Who's to say Schemmel wouldn't make things worse if a major Youtuber spoke out against him?
8000 Saiyan wrote:For a guy that is in his late 40's, you'd think he'd be more mature.
This is no different from the one time 8 years ago when Schemmel talked about Ocean Kai and said anyone who doesn't like Funi Kai doesn't like DBZ. He's just threatening the fans and convention organizers to accept him and his work on the series and throwing his toys of the pram anytime he feels insecure about it. The man should be truly ashamed of himself. You don't hear about other members of the Texas cast causing this much drama, including Sabat (who is of course Schemmel's friend and probably annoyed with him deep down).

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:Why is Geekdom silent on this issue? Isnt he hosting this?

Where are you, big guy?
I don't blame Geekdom, as the guy hosting this event the last thing he wants to do is get on Schemmel's bad side. Who's to say Schemmel wouldn't make things worse if a major Youtuber spoke out against him?

Why not? He acts like he's a big shot. So much "connections". Here's the time to prove it but he will chicken out.

And Sean is a jackass. Thanks Ajay for bashing him in the Reddit AMA. You have earned far more respect from me.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:46 pm

first Kirby Morrow and now Peter Kelamis?
he seriously felt so threatened by Peter Kelamis that he set out to replace him at a convention? this is so pathetic, it seems like he won't rest until all competition is out of the picture altogether
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:Why not? He acts like he's a big shot. So much "connections". Here's the time to prove it but he will chicken out.
I'm not really sure what vendetta you have against Geekdom, but let's not bring that to this forum. It doesn't belong here.

Danny is the host of the event, not the organiser, not the recruiter, and certainly not the money. His involvement on that side of things goes as far as recommending community guests for panels and whatnot.

I can assure you he, myself, and all other guests who were aware of the Kelamis announcement made our thoughts very clear. We don't run this event, though. The final decision there comes down to those paying for it (along with some other external complications).

Geekdom has been working exceptionally hard over the past 24 hours to try and find some sort of resolution here. If it pays off, you may hear about it in the next few days, but again, there's only so much that can be done as people outside of the planning circle.

You don't need to change your opinions on a person, and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, but these are the facts, so I hope you take them on board and put all preconceptions aside when you read this.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Ajay wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:Why not? He acts like he's a big shot. So much "connections". Here's the time to prove it but he will chicken out.
I'm not really sure what vendetta you have against Geekdom, but let's not bring that to this forum. It doesn't belong here.

Danny is the host of the event, not the organiser, not the recruiter, and certainly not the money. His involvement on that side of things goes as far as recommending community guests for panels and whatnot.

I can assure you he, myself, and all other guests who were aware of the Kelamis announcement made our thoughts very clear. We don't run this event, though. The final decision there comes down to those paying for it (along with some other external complications).

Geekdom has been working exceptionally hard over the past 24 hours to try and find some sort of resolution here. If it pays off, you may hear about it in the next few days, but again, there's only so much that can be done as people outside of the planning circle.

You don't need to change your opinions on a person, and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, but these are the facts, so I hope you take them on board and put all preconceptions aside when you read this.

Answer me something, why is one man able to decide if another will come or not? AFAIK this event isnt being run by Funi. Its being endorsed by them but its not a Funi convention.

Why is a man baby being given so much power?

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Out of all the actors on the guest list, Kelamis was the one I was most excited about meeting. In fact, it was the moment I saw him and Drummond on the list that I decided I was going to make the drive from San Antonio to be at the convention. I’ve met Funi actors at other cons before, but here I was going to get the best of both worlds! Super disappointed about this desicion, and I hope everyone can get along in the future, maybe certain actors will act more like civil adults for KamehaCon II....
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
Ajay wrote:

Answer me something, why is one man able to decide if another will come or not? AFAIK this event isnt being run by Funi. Its being endorsed by them but its not a Funi convention.

Why is a man baby being given so much power?

Schemmel being Zeno confirmed, lmao.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:09 pm

I imagine Sean Schemmel was in negotiations with the organizers for a little while, he's a fairly relevant name and I imagine he was one of the first guests they tried to book.

Sean likely had stipulations to his appearance, probably some routine stuff like security checking props at the gates and a celeb break facility etc.

I wouldn't see it out of the realm of likely possibility he also had a clause that required all other English Goku voice actors be barred from the event. The only rationale I can think of that he could use to back this stipulation, would be to cite possible financial loss from autographs and meet & greets. As multiple Goku's would create less of a draw for himself.

I think it's pretty weak and petty... but he's muscling any and all potential competition out of the con and out of his career "turf".

None of this is verified, and just me spit balling the possibilities due to a lack of confirmed reason... don't take it as truth.

I won't be supporting any of Schemmel's paid services, or merchandise for the year of 2018.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Well I gotta say if this situation does turn out to be what everyone is thinking then I'm extremely disappointed in Schemmel. I've always loved his work as Goku and always will, but I'd be very disappointed in his real life character if it turns out he was the one responsible for Kelamis being booted.

It would be incredibly ironic for the voice of Goku to act that way while Sabat, voice of Vegeta, went completely out of his way to get Drummond as Copy Vegeta and even embrace him as the OG English Vegeta on twitter. He put the fans first while Schemmel would be disregarding them if he really was responsible for this. Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye, but right now Sean's silence on the issue isn't very encouraging. I know he's had issues with other Goku's before, but this would be crossing the line.

And it's not like he had anything to fear in the first place. Having both Goku's together and getting along would have been great fun for everyone and would have cost him nothing. Now his reputation is at stake and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull out to avoid hostility from fans. What really stinks is the organizers caving in to this. It just goes to show that green always comes first. I'm not a massive fan of Kelamis as Goku, for me he was hit and miss. He was great at times, not so much at others. But he deserved better than this and so do his fans who planned on travelling to see him.