Is there any reason to buy DVDs/Blu-rays anymore when the episodes are streamed online?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is there any reason to buy DVDs/Blu-rays anymore when the episodes are streamed online?

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:I think the Golden Age of streaming is coming to an end. As more and more content providers start their own services, you'll no longer be able to subscribe to just Netflix and/or Hulu and get nearly everything you want. Disney splitting from Netflix is a good example of this.

I wouldn't be shocked if physical media saw a bit of a revival because of this. Either way, it'll always be around for collector purposes.
Streaming was great for that reason. It was like "look, I can try all these shows out and see if I like them for a small fee." Once every studio saw that Netflix money they were like "hey, we have enough content to create our own service", thus negating the first sentiment.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Is there any reason to buy DVDs/Blu-rays anymore when the episodes are streamed online?

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Inevitably the time will come when DVD/Blu-ray is a thing of the past.
DVDs are still very popular so if they're still here then I doubt Blu-Rays will be going anywhere anytime soon.

In terms of the alternative which is streaming, it's not a stable methoed cause you never know when something is going to be taken down. Look at fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood, if home media didn't exist then we'd never see Funi's dub of it cause they lost the rights to it.

I doubt Funimation will lose the rights to DB but what if they do ? if it weren't for physical media then we'll never hear the voices we like again.

Home media is mass produced everywhere, both on DVD and Blu-Ray and hopefully it stays that way cause the only ones who benafit form streaming is companies cause it give them more power over the products and what people have access to.
TheBigBoy wrote:I think the Golden Age of streaming is coming to an end. As more and more content providers start their own services, you'll no longer be able to subscribe to just Netflix and/or Hulu and get nearly everything you want. Disney splitting from Netflix is a good example of this.
ABED wrote:Once every studio saw that Netflix money they were like "hey, we have enough content to create our own service", thus negating the first sentiment.
This is what will kill streaming. The reason it is popular is because you can get everything in one place. Each company having their own service and own price to pay will drive everyone away from it.

With how much content disney has they can have 3 completely different subscriptions, one for marvel, one for star wars & one for their pixar and other original movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:06 pm

the only ones who benafit form streaming is companies cause it give them more power over the products and what people have access to.
That's not true. If no one but them benefitted, no one would buy those services. Despite what you may have read, companies aren't always out to screw their customers.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:51 pm

ABED wrote:
the only ones who benafit form streaming is companies cause it give them more power over the products and what people have access to.
That's not true. If no one but them benefitted, no one would buy those services. Despite what you may have read, companies aren't always out to screw their customers.

Yeah just look at the new Star Trek. Almost the entire world gets it on Netflix but in the US you have to buy another streaming service. If thats not screwing over their audience I don't know what is.

Or Anime Strike where you have to pay for Prime plus an extra anime channel on top of it.

Unfortunately I think we will see content spread out on more and more streaming services kind of negating the reason people cut the cord in the first place to save money (although I still have cable)

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Inevitably the time will come when DVD/Blu-ray is a thing of the past.
DVDs are still very popular so if they're still here then I doubt Blu-Rays will be going anywhere anytime soon.

In terms of the alternative which is streaming, it's not a stable methoed cause you never know when something is going to be taken down. Look at fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood, if home media didn't exist then we'd never see Funi's dub of it cause they lost the rights to it.

I doubt Funimation will lose the rights to DB but what if they do ? if it weren't for physical media then we'll never hear the voices we like again.

Home media is mass produced everywhere, both on DVD and Blu-Ray and hopefully it stays that way cause the only ones who benafit form streaming is companies cause it give them more power over the products and what people have access to.
ABED wrote:Once every studio saw that Netflix money they were like "hey, we have enough content to create our own service", thus negating the first sentiment.
This is what will kill streaming. The reason it is popular is because you can get everything in one place. Each company having their own service and own price to pay will drive everyone away from it.

With how much content disney has they can have 3 completely different subscriptions, one for marvel, one for star wars & one for their pixar and other original movies.

lol you can't make an entire subscription based off just Star-Wars.... There's literally only 8 movies in existence, with only a few shows in between. I don't see why anybody in their right mind would pay $7.99 for that. EVEN IF they created a bunch of exclusive Star-Wars content, would anybody pay to watch only Star-Wars content?

Marvel I understand, as that idea can run in a similar fashion to comics. Pixar? Not enough content produced, and their quality has already been dipping since Disney bought them.

Disney just works as an amazing brand all together. Put together a Disney package that includes Disney Movies, all Disney Channel Programming, ESPN Streaming, ABC News(and whatever shows they own the rights to, like LOST?) Star-Wars movies and content, Marvel, Pixar, and then somehow tie all of this in to their existing parks/resorts/cruise ships? MONEY!

The most interesting thing here is that Steve Jobs(Now his wife) owns majority share of Disney(because of the sale of Pixar to Disney made him majority shareholder, with even more shares than anybody from the Walt Disney Family) so Apple could in all likelihood buy Disney. This service would then be directly tied to the massive amounts of Apple products out there, thus ensuring substantial exponential growth within the next few years. Imagine that. A Company who's stock was $1.29 when Toy Story First released in 1995 could potentially be purchasing the Disney Conglomerate.
Last edited by Bardo117 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
El Conejo Malo

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Kinokima wrote:Yeah just look at the new Star Trek. Almost the entire world gets it on Netflix but in the US you have to buy another streaming service. If thats not screwing over their audience I don't know what is.
That reminds me of another one! Region-Locking! Some streaming services will lock their content to specific regions, like what UKTV did with the latest Red Dwarf XII teaser, and that sucks big-time. While Blu-Rays are also that way, it's a lot easier to buy a disc from overseas (especially now with sites like Tenso) than it is to move to another country.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Kinokima wrote:
ABED wrote:

Yeah just look at the new Star Trek. Almost the entire world gets it on Netflix but in the US you have to buy another streaming service. If thats not screwing over their audience I don't know what is.

Or Anime Strike where you have to pay for Prime plus an extra anime channel on top of it.

Unfortunately I think we will see content spread out on more and more streaming services kind of negating the reason people cut the cord in the first place to save money (although I still have cable)
That's not screwing anyone over. It's simply less convenient. While I would prefer to have these things all in a few (or one) places, you don't have to pay for it all, and the value is still greater than cable. Those content providers don't have any power except that which you give them.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:10 pm

ABED wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
ABED wrote: That's not true. If no one but them benefitted, no one would buy those services. Despite what you may have read, companies aren't always out to screw their customers.

That's not screwing anyone over. It's simply less convenient. While I would prefer to have these things all in a few (or one) places, you don't have to pay for it all, and the value is still greater than cable. Those content providers don't have any power except that which you give them.

I am not sure what you mean? My power is to not buy their streaming service because I can't afford to get everything but then at times I also miss out on things I really want to watch. It's not about convenience but about cost.

Unfortunately in these cases I don't see how the consumer has any power as the content providers will continue to add more and more streaming services which in the end will start to cost the consumer more than cable. We might not be there yet but I think we will be. I don't see more value. That's the problem with the ala carte system.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 pm

I am not sure what you mean? My power is to not buy their streaming service because I can't afford to get everything but then at times I also miss out on things I really want to watch. It's not about convenience but about cost.
It's not that costly. How much does an average subscription cost? You don't have to buy them all. You always have to make choices in life. We don't have unlimited funds. You do have the power to not buy their service if you don't think it's worth it.

The idea that you have no power is just silly. They can't force you to buy anything.
the content providers will continue to add more and more streaming services which in the end will start to cost the consumer more than cable.
You don't have to buy them all! The reason so many of these services are popping up is because people are buying them. This is basic econ. They think there's money to be made in their own service because people are buying them. When people don't see value in them, they will stop making them.

The value is still greater than cable because you get all the episodes on demand. For cable, you have to watch them when they air, not the whole series.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is there any reason to buy DVDs/blu-rays anymore when the episodes are streamed online?

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:20 pm

sintzu wrote:I always prefer physical media cause it gives the sense of owning the product.

You can read books and comics online but there's something special about owning them.
exactly
My English is poor .

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:28 pm

ABED wrote: The idea that you have no power is just silly. They can't force you
Of course they can't force me but as long as others are buying the service than what I decide to do doesn't change much. If the content is popular than they can charge people extra for it. Either you spend the money or you miss out on things. Of course it's all about choices.
The value is still greater than cable because you get all the episodes on demand. For cable, you have to watch them when they air, not the whole series.

Cable has On Demand Services too.

Not every streaming service is like Netflix and puts out all episodes at once you do realize that. Most don't in fact.

Anyways we are getting off topic so I am going to end this.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Of course they can't force me but as long as others are buying the service than what I decide to do doesn't change much. If the content is popular than they can charge people extra for it. Either you spend the money or you miss out on things. Of course it's all about choices.
They are buying it because they believe they are getting a great value. So what if you miss out on things? That's life. They don't owe you everything you want. Streaming services like Netflix and Amazon are great values. They would be better (for me) if content providers didn't branch off on their own, but I think their strategy might be to not just control their own content, but create more. I don't even think they are charging extra. You don't even have to buy all of them all the time. Just buy the service you want for a month.
Cable has On Demand Services too.
Not nearly to the extent of something like Netflix. I can't watch every episode of Arrow, just the last five episodes.

To keep this about DB, physical media is better for people on this forum because there's a very good chance we'll watch the show more than once.
Not every streaming service is like Netflix and puts out all episodes at once you do realize that. Most don't in fact.
I didn't mean they put a season out all at once. I mean you have most, if not all, of the episodes at your beck and call.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:32 pm

I've still got every intention of acquiring the Dragon Ball series on DVD. I want a concrete item that suggests I have my own personal copy of the episodes and the boxes will look pretty damn good on my future shelves.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 am

Bardo117 wrote:Would anybody pay to watch only Star-Wars content?
If it's the only way to get the content then yes. If people are willing to make a religion for star wars then they'll do anything.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Got to have the physical media. Not only do I enjoy having it but having the physical media tends to have the best video and sound quality.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Found this out today: I can't even view any of Funimation's anime streams because I'm not American!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:25 pm

I like home video releases have better looking quality than streaming sites. Arrow's release of Hellraiser 1-3 and Donnie Darko look better than what Netflix has up streaming in my opinion. I remember when Netflix had streaming for Godzilla 1954 and it was the crappy HD print that Classic Media use, not from Criterion. That's why it's good to own things on home video because you can get a better experience out of them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Also there's the thing of physical media is something you can get signed at anime conventions. Yeah the guidebooks are there, but it's nice to have your dvds signed.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm

yes, why watch an inferior version of the show online?
Buy the dragonboxes (JPN and or US), and get some popcorn as you're not moving for awhile.
*please walk around every hour or so :)
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/