How do you primarily spend your time Dragon Ball wise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

How do you primarily spend your time Dragon Ball wise?

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 am

Simply the topic title. When it comes to Dragon Ball, what aspect of the franchise takes up most of your time? Watching the show? Playing the games? Researching the past of the show? Power level debates? Posting here? Etc.

I feel like I mainly look up (for hours at a time) my favorite scenes from the show. I also really love watching dub comparisons and also reading up on info people post here (I learn so much!) Soon though I'll be watching the show in its entirety (canon-wise anyway) DB-DBZ and the two newest movies in Japanese so that'll take up some time. What about you?

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: How do you primarily spend your time Dragon Ball wise?

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 am

Continuously refreshing all Dragon Ball-related pages until new FighterZ news pops up and playing all kinds of Dragon Ball games to hold me over till February.

"Watching" didn't happen much before Super came out, though this year I did finally start a run through the original DB and Z in Japanese. I had seen plenty of clips here and there over the years, but never the full thing all the way through. It's a blast.

Reading the manga is always fun. I try not to go back to it too often, so as to keep it "fresh" (as far as that's possible for a story I know like the back of my hand), but the temptation is quite irresistible. It's great to just pick a random volume off the shelf and BAM, glorious Toriyama artwork.

Another significant part of my "Dragon Ball time" is spent doodling random DB characters whenever I'm watching a longer video or listening to a podcast.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:56 am

Years ago it would've been watching the show. After I got on this board, it became posting on here. I've seen the show all the way through several times now. If I ever do a rewatch, it won't be for quite some time. I'm not someone who can just watch specific episodes. I have to watch something all the way through.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 am

Now with a new series most of my DB time is spent watching and talking about that, but I do have a guilty pleasure (if that is the right phrase to use) to read really old threads from Kanzenshuu/Daiz EX the community back then seemed really different and it is interesting just reading what people were discussing before all this new material.

I also get lost for hours on the main website, you wanna check one small thing then you end spending hours on there :lol: Learn so much though about the franchise!! I also search quite a bit on merchandise most days, finding what is out/gonna be out and trying to look for the best deals on things etc.

Surprisingly I don't really play DB games, bought DB Fusions for the 3ds, got bored quick and sold it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:58 am

Working on this website. That's far and away the answer. It probably goes:

1) Working on the website (in order probably news -> written/visual content like guides and assorted scanning and editing -> podcast -> structural/organizational)
2) Community (primarily just here, but casually observing afar from time to time with limited outside involvement
3) Video games
4) Actually consuming some kind of baseline product like the TV show / movies / manga

I'd probably weigh them........ 75%, 15%, 5%, 5% in that order...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am

I generally watch 1 episode a day of DBZ or GT. Mostly on lunch of before I go to bed while doing other things.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:50 am

In terms of time spent per week as estimated:

Two Hours
-3 weekly mini fan-comics of the most recent DBS episode. One hour to draw, one hour editing in Photoshop.

Half hour to One Hour
-Watching a new episode of Super. Only an entire hour if I come back later to also watch subs or in the rare case that was last weekend's double episode special.
-If I draw any standalone full color fan-art that usually takes around 40 minutes to an hour.

15 minutes
-How long it takes to make my ten screencaps for weekly dbs tumblr post.

5 to 10 minutes
How long my mini text recaps on DA take.

Anything else has too many time variables to really give a solid number on: stuff like posting here or replying to comments on da.

If I have to do estimation math I guess about 3 to 4 hours a week, but highly concentrated between Saturday and Sunday. So like 1 to 2 hours Saturday, 1 hour to an hour and a half Sunday.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Re-watching favorite episodes, and actively contributing to the community here, and purchasing merchandise(Active S.H.figuarts collector) .
El Conejo Malo

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 pm

I watch the original 2 anime once a year, just finished DB and plan on watching GT once I'm done with Kai.

I watch Super every week unless we're in filler.

I play the games every now and then, a lot when there's new DLC.

I post here daily.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Probably a majority of the time is just it being in my thoughts a ton, be it wondering where Super is gonna go each episode, or thinking about some aspect of the world, or planning a project or two I'd like to eventually get to. Actual watching (outside of the weekly Super episode) is usually pretty sparse, and playing of games tends to come an go based mostly on when we get something new to work with. But it does stay pretty present in my mind fairly constantly.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Watching by far, but that's mainly out of convenience. I keep up with Super semi-regularly, but we watch the dub weekly and are mostly through the re-watch of DB whenever we've got the time. And I'll put on some of the dub pretty regularly when I'm drawing/writing/editing, just in the background, but still.

After that... reading and posting here. I'm not exactly a regular here, but it's fun to pop in and chat every now and then. And I'm kinda picking up new volumes of Full Color whenever I can find it relatively cheap, and I'll re-read parts of the b&w manga volumes from time to time.

Once FighterZ comes out I have a feeling that'll be #1. :)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Probably a majority of the time is just it being in my thoughts a ton, be it wondering where Super is gonna go each episode, or thinking about some aspect of the world, or planning a project or two I'd like to eventually get to. Actual watching (outside of the weekly Super episode) is usually pretty sparse, and playing of games tends to come an go based mostly on when we get something new to work with. But it does stay pretty present in my mind fairly constantly.
Gotta agree with this. I love just thinking about the show in-universe and out. It's so interesting and Toriyama leaves so much stuff unexplained that you can just sit and speculate for hours.

Thanks all so far for your replies! It's fun to see what ticks everybody's clock

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:58 pm

On a daily basis, this how I divided my "Dragon Ball Time":

- 4 to 5 hours posting Kanzenshuu
- 1 hours re-reading some chapters of the original manga and the Dragon Ball Super manga
- Rewatch an episode of Super, Dragon Ball and Kai
- 30 minutes browsing Dragon Ball news across the web

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Generally just browsing around here hoping a topic strikes my fancy. Other than that though, it is easily spending time working on The First Chapters. I pretty much start that as soon as I get back home from work, and it can last me all the way up until I go to bed.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Watching the series. Mostly dbz since it's always on tv. Other than that I occasionally watch one or two dragon ball related videos on YouTube.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:16 pm

I spend way more time than I should playing Dokkan Battle. :oops:

Mostly I browse the forums here, the dbz/dokkan subreddits and twitter for news. Lately I've been dedicating an hour or two a week to watching the original Dragon Ball start to finish. So much fun. <3

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Well I don't get as much time as I used to get because I take care of my grandfather full time but mostly watching the series annnnnnnd sometimes I find myself looking at google images of dragonball artwork lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm mostly watching Dragon Ball Super, being involved as close as possible to Dragon Ball Heroes, playing Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and watching videos about Dragon Ball Xenoverse and sometimes playing Dragon Ball Online (waiting for it to be complete again). Reading stuff in Kanzenshuu, posting sometimes as well and I think that's all.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Grimlock wrote:Reading stuff in Kanzenshuu, posting sometimes as well and I think that's all.
Oh yeah! That reminds me that I listen to old Kanzenshuu/Daizenshuu EX podcasts on the bus ride home, working backwards through the episodes. Apparently I'm up to the last time Julian did ABCs, which was early 2009.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Do people really just watch random episodes? When I rewatch I just rewatch all the episodes in order. I can understand watching a specific ep you really liked a lot of times, but it's hard for me to just randomly select a random ep to watch when all the episodes continue from each other during a saga.