Does the franchise/fandom pre-2013 (pre Beerus and Super) now feel like a distant memory?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Does the franchise/fandom pre-2013 (pre Beerus and Super) now feel like a distant memory?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:09 am

ABED wrote:What years would you classify each generation?
This is a really good thread where we got into the nitty-gritty trying to break it down.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Does the franchise/fandom pre-2013 (pre Beerus and Super) now feel like a distant memory?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 am

In the broadest strokes--I bet this would be better broken down into four or five generations:

First: 1960s through 1970s, which I hesitate to really classify as 'fandom' yet.

Second: lates 1970s through the 1980s: the convention scene was exploding, but like even in Japan dedicated anime conventions were first born out of sci-fi cons.

Third: Early 1990s, this is where I could see my generation really just being a Fourth, because fansubs were really getting around at this point, but Toonami had yet to turn anime into the mainstream junk food of kids and casual geeks.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 am

Re: main question

It does feel a while ago, but not distant because I can remember it pretty clearly. It was the era where I was far more involved on DA (actually active in art groups) and back when I was posting fanfics regularly. My favorite era to write was ironically the era Super is taking place.

But as time went by and people left and little to no new stuff appeared (we had Cross Epoch, the 08 special and then not much else) even I was getting ready to leave in early 2012 and then BOG was announced and here I still am, though at a somewhat less active capacity than back then. I haven't written anything for this arc (where I wrote loads for the Gokû Black arc) but I still regularly draw fanart.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!