Does the franchise/fandom pre-2013 (pre Beerus and Super) now feel like a distant memory?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Does the franchise/fandom pre-2013 (pre Beerus and Super) now feel like a distant memory?

Post by precita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 pm

For the longest time the Dragonball series was over. It was done. Of course we got new videogames and spinoff material, but for the most part the franchise was done. As someone who has been on Dragonball related forums since the year 2000, I kinda miss the pre-2013 days before the Beerus movie came out leading into the Super era when everything was discussed.

Stuff like the 2008 special was a pleasant surprise because nobody expected to get anything new. Hence why it's still so loved to this day, (besides letting Trunks/Goten actually fight which Super never does). However ever since 2013 onward we've gotten consistent new material on a weekly basis, an ongoing series with new characters, stories, forms, new movies, new villains, etc.

I kinda miss the Dragonball fandom from say 2000-2012 or so. It felt like we knew the franchise was done and everyone would just discuss the sagas and everything was wrapped up with a nice little ribbon. Nowadays it almost seems like that time is a distant memory. Like it's hard to remember a time Super didn't exist, when we had no new show to watch. Feels weird.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Does the franchise/fandom pre-2013 (pre Beerus and Super) now feel like a distant memory?

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Yes, it does.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does the franchise/fandom pre-2013 (pre Beerus and Super) now feel like a distant memory?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Tbh I don't even think I would be here for if it weren't for BoG, with the series well over there wouldn't be much incentive for me to discuss the series to the point I'd wanna sign up to a forum, y'know? Plus the facts topics and talking points will cycle constantly.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Being someone who didn't get into the community until this year, it's hard and skewed of me to say. But I definitely feel alienated by not having any knowledge of Super and what its additions are and mean for the franchise and lore as a whole.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:51 pm

I wasn't even here pre-BoG/Super but would've been eventually after picking up Kai and OG Japanese. I do remember the franchise being "over" though and it was nice being able to know how the show had ended and the story was up to us from that point forward (still technically is I guess isn't it? Unless Super delves into after EoZ). But let's be real, new content can only improve sites like this one where people are actually pleasant. Without it, the site would naturally lose steam faster. You can only discuss power levels and production history so many times without new content coming out

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 pm

Forte224 wrote:I wasn't even here pre-BoG/Super but would've been eventually after picking up Kai and OG Japanese. I do remember the franchise being "over" though and it was nice being able to know how the show had ended and the story was up to us from that point forward (still technically is I guess isn't it? Unless Super delves into after EoZ). But let's be real, new content can only improve sites like this one where people are actually pleasant. Without it, the site would naturally lose steam faster. You can only discuss power levels and production history so many times without new content coming out
I don't see how anyone can argue that the "quality" of the forum (the site itself is great) has gotten any better since the new stuff came out.

Daizenshuu EX/Kanzentai/Kanzenshuu were doing perfectly well before the new stuff and the influx of people that came with it arrived.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Yeah, it was a much less frustrating landscape back then.
Forte224 wrote:But let's be real, new content can only improve sites like this one where people are actually pleasant. Without it, the site would naturally lose steam faster.
Without it, the Wiki's completion might still be a feasible goal.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:40 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:I wasn't even here pre-BoG/Super but would've been eventually after picking up Kai and OG Japanese. I do remember the franchise being "over" though and it was nice being able to know how the show had ended and the story was up to us from that point forward (still technically is I guess isn't it? Unless Super delves into after EoZ). But let's be real, new content can only improve sites like this one where people are actually pleasant. Without it, the site would naturally lose steam faster. You can only discuss power levels and production history so many times without new content coming out
I don't see how anyone can argue that the "quality" of the forum (the site itself is great) has gotten any better since the new stuff came out.

Daizenshuu EX/Kanzentai/Kanzenshuu were doing perfectly well before the new stuff and the influx of people that came with it arrived.
I wasn't referring to the quality of the site. Just that it could slow down in activity faster without the new content

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

I wasn't referring to the quality of the site. Just that it could slow down in activity faster without the new content
I would much rather have slower traffic than the shit bleeding out from the Super sub-forum.

So no, pre-BoG Kanzenshuu isn't a distant memory, because 4 years is nothing, but it is a sad one.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: I don't see how anyone can argue that the "quality" of the forum (the site itself is great) has gotten any better since the new stuff came out.

I would much rather have slower traffic than the shit bleeding out from the Super sub-forum.

So no, pre-BoG Kanzenshuu isn't a distant memory, because 4 years is nothing, but it is a sad one.
What's wrong with what's coming from the Super forum? Most stuff in General Discussion isn't even about Super. You don't seem very reasonable about this

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:04 am

Forte224 wrote:But let's be real, new content can only improve sites like this one where people are actually pleasant. Without it, the site would naturally lose steam faster. You can only discuss power levels and production history so many times without new content coming out
This site began in its earliest infancy in 1998. A year after GT had ended, and 3 after the manga was done.

The forum we're talking in now first went up in 2004. 7 years after GT had finished, and 9 years after the manga was dead and done.

It utterly thrived on boundless discussion and new members joining in fairly large droves all the way up through 2013. That's more than 15 years (almost 20 when looking solely at the manga) after the entire series in any real capacity was completely wrapped up and a distant, distant memory.

I mean... I don't know about any of you, but that doesn't happen to just ANY media franchise out there. So I find statements like the one quoted above to be... immensely, puzzlingly wrong in the face of pretty much the entirety of the Dragon Ball fanbase's whole 2000s history. Its to the point a lot of times where I oftentimes genuinely do have to wonder just how old the series actually is in the minds of most of the post-CN U.S. fans around here: it seems like most of you tend to have been operating up to this point under some kind of a "Dragon Ball first started and was brand new beginning from the moment I first heard of it" internal logic.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:But let's be real, new content can only improve sites like this one where people are actually pleasant. Without it, the site would naturally lose steam faster. You can only discuss power levels and production history so many times without new content coming out
This site began in its earliest infancy in 1998. A year after GT had ended, and 3 after the manga was done.

The forum we're talking in now first went up in 2004. 7 years after GT had finished, and 9 years after the manga was dead and done.

It utterly thrived on boundless discussion and new members joining in fairly large droves all the way up through 2013. That's more than 15 years (almost 20 when looking solely at the manga) after the entire series in any real capacity was completely wrapped up and a distant, distant memory.

I mean... I don't know about any of you, but that doesn't happen to just ANY media franchise out there. So I find statements like the one quoted above to be... immensely wrong in the face of pretty much the entirety of the Dragon Ball fanbase's whole 2000s history. Its to the point a lot of times where I oftentimes genuinely do have to wonder just how old the series actually is in the minds of most of the post-CN U.S. fans around here: it seems like most of you tend to have been operating up to this point under some kind of a "Dragon Ball first started and was brand new beginning from the moment I first heard of it" internal logic.
I don't think I was specific enough. I'm saying new content can only make activity go up. It would almost for sure be at least mildly slower without it because we wouldn't have a whole freaking board for the new content. I'm not saying the site would be dead. Sheesh. And I'm sure some users that are pretty regular here may not have ever joined without the new content that got them interested in Dragon Ball again, like Baggie_Saiyan for example. Also, way to generalize CN fans and assume that I'm one of them. :roll:

Cut a guy a break, will you?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 am

You're saying all that like it's a bad thing.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:You're saying all that like it's a bad thing.
You still haven't explained what it is about Super that's bleeding over here. It has its own board that you can ignore. And yes, more activity is always a good thing unless it turns the site into a toxic cesspool which clearly this place isn't. Nearly everything on this General Discussion board is about DB/DBZ. There's hardly any Super content anywhere

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:19 am

Forte224 wrote:
You still haven't explained what it is about Super that's bleeding over here. It has its own board that you can ignore. And yes, more activity is always a good thing unless it turns the site into a toxic cesspool which clearly this place isn't. Nearly everything on this General Discussion board is about DB/DBZ. There's hardly any Super content anywhere
Go back to threads from 2013. Then look at the ones today.

If you don't see the toxicity that's sprung up mostly since 2015, then you either haven't been here before that, aren't looking very hard, or are part of it.

Edit: *Looks at join date.* Oh.

As for Super, it's not the content bleeding over, it's the mindset.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Go back to threads from 2013. Then look at the ones today.

If you don't see the toxicity that's sprung up mostly since 2015, then you either haven't been here before that, aren't looking very hard, or are part of it.

Edit: *Looks at join date.* Oh.
Link me a thread that's toxic. Then you'll have an argument.

"As for Super, it's not the content bleeding over, it's the mindset." Do you ever explain anything? Or do you just say things and never back them up?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:29 am

Forte224 wrote:
There's a lot of Super talk in In-Universe Discussion right now, stuff about Universe 7, Gods of Destruction, Jiren, Frieza's new character nuances, Ultra Instinct, etc. Which makes sense, there's a lot happening in Super right now.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34500&start=2520

But it really started with these:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20803

viewtopic.php?t=27729

The second one, especially. There is a huge tonal shift in most of the sections of the forum, pretty sharply delineated by the Resurrection F thread.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34500&start=2520

But it really started with these:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20803

viewtopic.php?t=27729

The second one, especially. There is a huge tonal shift in most of the sections of the forum, pretty sharply delineated by the Resurrection F thread.
I'm failing to see toxicity. Sorry, don't know what you're going for here

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:34 am

For my part, I've encountered a fair amount of conflicting opinions and some heated discussion, and I even felt ganged up on once, but I didn't feel like it was abjectly toxic. To me toxic means that it's impossible as a newbie to assimilate, and/or that your opinion will cause hatred with most people in said community.