Modern Dragon Ball sound design - Nozawa age denial?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Modern Dragon Ball sound design - Nozawa age denial?

Post by Rory » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:55 pm

This is a bit of a weird topic, but whenever I drop in to see what's going on in Super, I can't help but notice.

I think that the lack of imaginative fight choreography factors into this, but has anyone else been baffled by the weird amount of the monotone 'atatata' in Dragon Ball Super when compared to the previous shows?

As much as we all love Nozawa, the audio engineers/directors must know that Nozawa isn't in tip-top shape anymore. Her performance has aged with her (no disrepect, she's done a job no-one else could for the characters in the series) and the fact that they are pushing her to make more monotonous, loud, and (surely) exhausting sounds, really hits the show in a big bad way. To the point where it gets painful to listen to.

Even when she was in her prime, she was putting out cool, more creative sounds during her fight scenes, does anybody else find it just bizarre that they're doing this at this point in her career?
Are they simply in denial of how she sounds now compared to 20 years ago? If she was doing this so commonly in Z it would've been bad then, but now it's utterly ludicrous.

Frankly I feel mean even typing out that kinda stuff, but I can't not notice it while watching, so I'd love to hear what you guys think

For the record I know this topic is about the audio in Super, but I do feel as if it's about where we are with the franchise as it stands now, so I popped it in the general as I didn't particularly want to discuss the show.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Modern Dragon Ball sound design - Nozawa age denial?

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:24 pm

It kinda-semi reminds me of Ikue Otani with Pikachu, in the sense that she too has done an extremely long-running character who has a lot of common lines and vocalizations, to the point where you can't help but wonder why they don't just use a bunch of pre-recorded stuff to save her the effort!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Ikue Ohtani is the best castmember in Pokemon. Be sub or dub. She impressed me a lot with her performance on the Moltres Vs Fletchinder.

And I think its more the incompetence of the modern Dragon Ball sound director than Nozawa's fault. That guy sucks at getting good performances out of No Rank Seiyuu. Which is like not being able to get out of a wet paper bag.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:And I think its more the incompetence of the modern Dragon Ball sound director than Nozawa's fault. That guy sucks at getting good performances out of No Rank Seiyuu. Which is like not being able to get out of a wet paper bag.
I would go even more specific and go for the vocal director (and to a certain extend the guys higher up who felt "yeah, that'll do" for 100+ episodes). My example to this is the Ratchet & Clank movie and the associated video game tie-in. In both works, Cora is played by Bella Thorne. In the film she does a good enough performance, but in the game she provides one of the most horrible, stilted, junk performances I've ever heard in my entire life.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Yeah the DADADADADADADADA makes no sense to me but it's almost definitely a sound director issue. Her other battle screams/grunts/etc. sound good and would seem to be less straining on her vocal cords too so not sure what's up. My biggest problem with it is that it is kind of annoying hearing it so often, so it just gives the Nozawa haters some actual ammunition for once

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Given the fact as OP said they sound monotonous, could it not be possible that they're just replaying a previous recording and she doesn't actually re-do them all the time?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:23 pm

I'm glad a mod took initiative and changed the title of the thread. Nozawa is awesome when she's directed right.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: