Does DB-Z really has no Storyline?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Does DB-Z really has no Storyline?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:45 am

as we have witnessed, DBZ has been a worldwide Hit and almost everyone knows about it. it's known for its Epic Action and battles but one of the Common Criticism I hear about DBZ is that it has a very bad or almost non existent Story and its all about Fight, personally I disagree with this statement because ,even though DB-Z doesn't have the Greatest of Story but I still think on its own it's a decent Story Line. What are your thoughts on this?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Does DB-Z really has no Storyline?

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 am

I've heard complaints about the writing, but not that it had no story. Me personally, I rarely watch Dragon Ball content with the fights in mind. I enjoy the simple story that drives the show. DB and DBZ are pleasantly flawed and charming. But I'm not going to sit down and say that the stories are masterpieces or anything

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:55 am

Forte224 wrote:I've heard complaints about the writing, but not that it had no story. Me personally, I rarely watch Dragon Ball content with the fights in mind. I enjoy the simple story that drives the show. DB and DBZ are pleasantly flawed and charming. But I'm not going to sit down and say that the stories are masterpieces or anything
Sometimes a simple story can be more entertaining than a complex one.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:57 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Forte224 wrote:I've heard complaints about the writing, but not that it had no story. Me personally, I rarely watch Dragon Ball content with the fights in mind. I enjoy the simple story that drives the show. DB and DBZ are pleasantly flawed and charming. But I'm not going to sit down and say that the stories are masterpieces or anything
Sometimes a simple story can be more entertaining than a complex one.
Oh for sure! I can just acknowledge it's not perfect and has plot holes and the like. But after 20+ years with this show it still captivates me and so many (for even longer than that) and that's quite a feat

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 am

Dragon Ball has a continuity and a plot that evolves and is influenced by past events. So it has a storyline. Something like The Simpsons has none of that, so it doesn't have a story outside of individual episodes. Dr. Slump is a weird middle-ground I think.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:51 am

It does have a simple story, one that revolves around fighting. I echo the sentiment that a simple story is often better than a complex one.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:56 am

ABED wrote:It does have a simple story, one that revolves around fighting. I echo the sentiment that a simple story is often better than a complex one.
Can you give example of this statement ?
Because complex stories also help develop our mind and we are engaged in the Show by watching it, that doesn't mean I am saying simple stories are inferior .
I have seen many internet meme and common criticism of People saying DBZ has no storyline and it's all screaming and power ups and it's really sad that these people who shit on DBZ for this are the only ones who watch it for fights.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:29 am

Die Hard is a very simple story - save my wife, stop the bad guy. It's also the best action movie ever. Not all stories are made equal. Complex stories aren't better by virtue of being more complex. The real skill is if the characters and story are actually engaging no matter how many interweaving stories or characters or twists and turns.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 am

Ripper 30 wrote:I have seen many internet meme and common criticism of People saying DBZ has no storyline and it's all screaming and power ups and it's really sad that these people who shit on DBZ for this are the only ones who watch it for fights.
There are large chunks of the story where "nothing" happens, usually the "Final Boss" fights like with Frieza or Super/Kid Buu. But that blatantly ignores everything leading up to it, such as the Great Saiyaman stuff, the veritable chess game on Namek with the Dragon Balls, or Future Trunks disclosing the future and discovering Cell. It also happens to ignore the entire first third of the story, the original Dragon Ball. To use a comparison, it's like coming into the final act of Die Hard and then complaining that it's nothing but blood sweat and guns with no character development. Well DUH, you missed the rest of it!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 am

A fight is a story.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:58 am

ABED wrote:Die Hard is a very simple story - save my wife, stop the bad guy. It's also the best action movie ever. Not all stories are made equal. Complex stories aren't better by virtue of being more complex. The real skill is if the characters and story are actually engaging no matter how many interweaving stories or characters or twists and turns.
I see your point now, agreed.
KBABZ wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:I have seen many internet meme and common criticism of People saying DBZ has no storyline and it's all screaming and power ups and it's really sad that these people who shit on DBZ for this are the only ones who watch it for fights.
There are large chunks of the story where "nothing" happens, usually the "Final Boss" fights like with Frieza or Super/Kid Buu. But that blatantly ignores everything leading up to it, such as the Great Saiyaman stuff, the veritable chess game on Namek with the Dragon Balls, or Future Trunks disclosing the future and discovering Cell. It also happens to ignore the entire first third of the story, the original Dragon Ball. To use a comparison, it's like coming into the final act of Die Hard and then complaining that it's nothing but blood sweat and guns with no character development. Well DUH, you missed the rest of it!
Yes the Cat and Mouse game on Namek was really good and people tend to focus only on fights and not anything else and then say it's all about fights.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:03 am

I did love the cat and mouse game on Namek. The quest for the DB's allow for weaker characters to do something vital without having to screw with the power scaling to justify their inclusion in the story. By the same token, a good fight will tell a story.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 am

Of course it has a story, a simple story but still a story. We see characters introduced overtime, they and the world develop, etc. To say it doesn't have a story would mean it's like tom and Jerry or the simpsons where it's episodic with no continuity which clearly isn't a case. There's a clear biggening and clear ending, anything that has that has a story.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 am

It certainly has a storyline, although as others have mentioned, it’s a simple one. Something I think is worth mentioning is that different eras of the series have been more story based than others. For example, the very first arc is barely about fighting at all, and is much more story based, whereas something like the Cell arc is almost entirely centered around fighting, with the plot that is there pretty much existing to get characters from one fight to the next.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Dragon Ball absolutely has a story line: Dragon Ball is a simple story, about simple minded martial artists who have simple adventures and/or battles. Nothing more and nothing less. Most of the time, any given story in Dragon Ball boils down to a group of super powered beings beating the shit out of each other for artificially created reasons and with ridiculously enforced stakes at hand. And that's perfectly okay. Let Dragon Ball be just that. It doesn't have to perform narrative acrobats to have a story to be remembered or revered by. Sometimes less is more.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball absolutely has a story line: Dragon Ball is a simple story, about simple minded martial artists who have simple adventures and/or battles. Nothing more and nothing less. Most of the time, any given story in Dragon Ball boils down to a group of super powered beings beating the shit out of each other for artificially created reasons and with ridiculously enforced stakes at hand. And that's perfectly okay. Let Dragon Ball be just that. It doesn't have to perform narrative acrobats to have a story to be remembered or revered by. Sometimes less is more.
Agreed it may not a great Story but still it's decent and simplistic at it's core.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:45 pm

It has multiple storylines.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm

A detailed story is not necessary for Dragon Ball Z. It revolves around the 4 arcs, which are mostly composed of fighting which is generally self-explanatory. Dragon Ball, in the phase that we are talking about, was a battle manga that attracted readers it had built up in the first half as well as new readers attracted to the fight scenes, expanded sci-fi theme, and new characters. While the original Dragon Ball portion of the manga could be considered a story manga (though adventure is more suited to it), the story becomes less important to follow in Dragon Ball Z. While a storyline is definitely in place, the situation stays the same for much of each arc (e.g. Goku fighting Freeza) though it does change in terms of who's fighting and what developments have occurred.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 am

It does have a storyline. It's the old stigma of DBZ being nothing more than just people yelling all day long with no real movement in the story. Sure, it has a simple story and that's not a bad thing. A story can be very simple and still be told very well. I seen movies that try to have a very deep and complex story and fail terribly (The Butterfly Effect comes to mind. That movie is one of my most hated films ever). I rather have a good simple story like Dragon Ball than something that is trying to be smart and ends up being all bullshit.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:13 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I rather a simple story like Dragon Ball than something that is trying to be smart and ends up being all bullshit.
*cough*Prometheus*cough*