Does DB-Z really has no Storyline?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does DB-Z really has no Storyline?

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:16 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: I rather a simple story like Dragon Ball than something that is trying to be smart and ends up being all bullshit.
Are you referring to Something like Naruto Shippuden Ending?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:47 am

I'm thinking more along the lines of a lot of modern blockbusters. They try to make their stories complex but end up being convoluted.
A detailed story is not necessary for Dragon Ball Z. It revolves around the 4 arcs, which are mostly composed of fighting which is generally self-explanatory. Dragon Ball, in the phase that we are talking about, was a battle manga that attracted readers it had built up in the first half as well as new readers attracted to the fight scenes, expanded sci-fi theme, and new characters. While the original Dragon Ball portion of the manga could be considered a story manga (though adventure is more suited to it), the story becomes less important to follow in Dragon Ball Z. While a storyline is definitely in place, the situation stays the same for much of each arc (e.g. Goku fighting Freeza) though it does change in terms of who's fighting and what developments have occurred.
I think this is a misunderstanding of what constitutes "story". A story is just whatever the characters do or say.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:05 am

ABED wrote:I think this is a misunderstanding of what constitutes "story". A story is just whatever the characters do or say.
I think the complaint is more specifically is that DBZ's story is entirely superficial to the point of irrelevance and is only used to force the characters to do fighting and shouting and transformations. Basically where every episode is the Jump special in terms of plot significance.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:10 am

But fighting is a story. The fight between Goku and Vegeta told a story. I get the impression that some think story/plot is what happens between the fights.

I do agree that DB doesn't have one story. It's a number of story arcs, but that feels like splitting hairs.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:34 am

ABED wrote:But fighting is a story. The fight between Goku and Vegeta told a story. I get the impression that some think story/plot is what happens between the fights.
Well yes, but if you drop into, say, the fight between Goku and Vegeta on Earth, and watch just the first few episodes of that, you get none of the backstory and lead-up to that conflict that makes it feel so gripping and titanic. It's certainly easier to have new story beats when the characters stop fighting, but the finale to the Goku/Vegeta fight will show just how much story can be crammed into it.

It's a case of Complaining about Shows You Don't Watch. I'm not a fan of Naruto, but I can imagine that the equivalent for that series is being described as "A show where nothing happens" due to the infamous filler arcs, and people assuming from an episode or two that that was all the show was about.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:But fighting is a story. The fight between Goku and Vegeta told a story. I get the impression that some think story/plot is what happens between the fights.
Well yes, but if you drop into, say, the fight between Goku and Vegeta on Earth, and watch just the first few episodes of that, you get none of the backstory and lead-up to that conflict that makes it feel so gripping and titanic. It's certainly easier to have new story beats when the characters stop fighting, but the finale to the Goku/Vegeta fight will show just how much story can be crammed into it.

It's a case of Complaining about Shows You Don't Watch. I'm not a fan of Naruto, but I can imagine that the equivalent for that series is being described as "A show where nothing happens" due to the infamous filler arcs, and people assuming from an episode or two that that was all the show was about.
But that can be said of any story. The final fights mean a lot less if you haven't seen the build up. If you watch a thriller and you drop in on final act reveal, it doesn't mean much because you haven't seen any of the set up.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:05 am

ABED wrote:But that can be said of any story. The final fights mean a lot less if you haven't seen the build up. If you watch a thriller and you drop in on final act reveal, it doesn't mean much because you haven't seen any of the set up.
Yes, that's my point. But since Dragon Ball is a fighting manga/anime that overshadows everything else and becomes the base perception (probably not helped by the fact that DBZ got popular first so the long Nappa/Vegeta fight permeated the airwaves and affected how outsiders saw the series).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 am

Agreed, but I'm not talking about outsider perception. I think a number of people here think story stops when the fighting begins.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am

ABED wrote:Agreed, but I'm not talking about outsider perception. I think a number of people here think story stops when the fighting begins.
Plainly not! A great deal can happen during the fight, like Frieza being too stubborn to admit that his energy levels are dropping and that it's completely compromised his chances of victory, which results in his defeat.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:18 am

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:Agreed, but I'm not talking about outsider perception. I think a number of people here think story stops when the fighting begins.
Plainly not! A great deal can happen during the fight, like Frieza being too stubborn to admit that his energy levels are dropping and that it's completely compromised his chances of victory, which results in his defeat.
Exactly. DB's story isn't complex, but it does tell stories.