Are your non-Kanzenshuu friends into Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Are your non-Kanzenshuu friends into Dragon Ball?

Post by Forte224 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Just curious. I'm in the States, and a good chunk of my friends are into Dragon Ball but it's hard to talk about it with them really because if I bring up the Japanese version or Kai at all they tend to shut it down real quick and exclaim how weird Goku sounds in Japanese or how forced Kai apparently sounds. So usually we just talk about fight scenes but I hope one day to have someone that I can talk deeply with Dragon Ball about. Face to face anyway, I love talking and reading here. Do you guys have friends you get to talk with Dragon Ball about or are you in the same boat as me?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Are your non-Kanzenshuu friends into Dragon Ball?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Yeah, I still have friends from school, college and university. The latter two really aren't into DB much but my school pals still are and we frequently talk but now we aren't in school anymore we don't have the luxury to have deep DB discussions anymore it is just generic talk like "ahh this so cool", "remember this bit, hilarious right?" etc. That is why I am primarily on Kanzenshuu, I guess. I do miss talking about DB for hours on end in class, ah some great times!

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Plenty of my friends like or have nostalgia for DB. We'll chat about it at times, then I'll start talking about the SUPERIORITY OF THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE VERSION or whatever then I'll start to see their eyes glaze over.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Nope even most of my Online friends (some of who I have come close with Offline too)who are really into anime are not really into Dragon Ball. I think most of my Online friends got into anime through other series like Pokemon and Sailor Moon and I am not really all that attached to those series (although I did enjoy playing Pokemon Go).

Sadly I lost touch with the girl who got me into Dragon Ball in college. I wonder if she is watching the new series or not.

So when I talk about Dragon Ball on other places like Twitter/Tumblr I mostly get ignored. :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Plenty of my friends like or have nostalgia for DB. We'll chat about it at times, then I'll start talking about the SUPERIORITY OF THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE VERSION or whatever then I'll start to see their eyes glaze over.
Haha well I try not to do that. I just mention something from it or Kai and they change the subject

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Some watched and still like the original 2 anime but that's about it. I've talked about what's currently going on but they don't seem that interested in it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Forte224 wrote:Just curious. I'm in the States, and a good chunk of my friends are into Dragon Ball but it's hard to talk about it with them really because if I bring up the Japanese version or Kai at all they tend to shut it down real quick and exclaim how weird Goku sounds in Japanese or how forced Kai apparently sounds. So usually we just talk about fight scenes but I hope one day to have someone that I can talk deeply with Dragon Ball about. Face to face anyway, I love talking and reading here. Do you guys have friends you get to talk with Dragon Ball about or are you in the same boat as me?
I watch DB, super and Gt with a real life friend who doesn't post on kanzenshuu.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:23 pm

There's friends of mine, or people I know in general who have all sorts of merchandise, and even tattoos and religiously watch the show but they know absolutely nothing about the Japanese Version of the show....
El Conejo Malo

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:39 pm

From my experience a lot of Dragon Ball fans could care less that the series comes from Japan and are not interested in anime beyond Dragon Ball.

Is it also explains why anime is still very much a niche in the West but Dragon Ball is a bit more mainstream. But yeah it is a shame that so many fans seem to only enjoy Dragon Ball in my opinion on a very surface level.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Honestly I don't have a lot of friends who still talk about Dragon Ball. At most they would be casual and we'd have general chit chat like "Remember when this happened", but nothing more.

I do have one friend who was big into it and watched it in Japanese a few years ago (got into it before me ironically), although he hasn't kept up with Super or the post-2008 material in general but plans to eventually. His girlfriend actually just told me yesterday they are expecting a baby so I may get them to try Kai so and raise their little boy/girl on the best version of the show in English ;) (especially if someone can get a hold of the Ocean dub and the kid can be exposed to almost all the voices me and my friend grew up on, and assuming that dub is good).

I don't know anyone who is into the historical aspects, behind the scenes, different dubs or home releases as I am, although I do long to lecture someone on different topics of that nature if they ever wish to learn.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 pm

A few of them, yes.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Most of my friends aren't into kids anime. They were when they were kids, infact two of my friends watched the series with me from start to finish in the original version and quite liked it, but that's like almost 7-8 yrs.ago iirc. They have moved on from kid franchises totally. And, I think many people have from my experience.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:03 pm

My non-Kanzenshuu friends hate anime :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: I don't know anyone who is into the historical aspects, behind the scenes, different dubs or home releases as I am, although I do long to lecture someone on different topics of that nature if they ever wish to learn.
Same! The bold is key for me. I've learned so much here yet I've barely ever spoken it out loud which is strange when I stop and think about it. Every once in a while a friend will be confused about something. Like one was wondering if the original dub changed anything drastically and I showed him the "Cat loves food" scene in OG Funi and then the accurate scene in Kai and he was shocked. He thought Cat loves food was a TFS original joke which I'm sure many do

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:50 pm

I laugh at the idea of one day meeting someone who knows as much about Dragon Ball as we do. It will never happen, we are very few.
El Conejo Malo

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Quite a few of my friends and family Do like Dragonball. Though it's only a select few of them that are as into it as I am. Out of my group of friends only 2 actively follow what currently going on while the rest wait for the dub and just kind of take what comes. Keep it casual. From my family it's just my brother and father who are still actively into it. My brother follows it with me but my father just kind of sticks to the Original run while only showing occasional interest in a few new things.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Kind of. I have had more satisfying Dragon Ball related discussions with them than I had with most strangers, they at least read fairly bit into it and going as far as to check out the Japanese side of things versus sticking with what they only saw on toonami. They're more of the "in the now" anime fans where they discuss whats in store for the seasons versus someone like me who watches whatever whenever (I'm currently trying to watch Astro Fighter Sunred and that came out more than five years ago!)

I do hope I can have a good talk about Dragon Ball one day without someone bringing up "Man that shit stupid, it would be cooler if they brought back Broly as a SSJ4." :crazy: No thanks, I prefer what Super is doing versus what majority of fans have suggested

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:46 pm

There are a lot of random people in my life that are fans. Most of them are like me in that they aren’t really anime fans in general but happen to like DB. Most of them are early FUNi version fans but it’s something... including the boss at one of my jobs who is in her late 50’s (with no children living at home mind you) and watches the series with her husband and owns a bunch of DBZ DVD’s. Obviously there’s fans of all ages but I thought it was a pretty strange thing to find out.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I guess in a way yeah? tho its more of them remembering Dragon Ball when I'm around, my family, relatives and friends, whenever we talk/chat etc the first thing they do is mention Dragon Ball while slowly changing topic to a more generic stuffs like the news,politics,social life,family and other shit like that... I was so in to dragon ball back in the days that whenever my family see's a cartoon character be it spongebob or Mr.Bean they go "oh, its Goku"

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm

There were a lot of friends when I was a teenager, now they're casual fans. Oh and I guess my wife and her sister were/still are pretty big fans too :? oh and my mom :lol: