Dragon Ball with English subs and Japanese title cards?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball with English subs and Japanese title cards?

Post by Forte224 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:24 pm

How could I get a hold of this? I heard it's possible to import them in the form of two big boxes from Australia on a Geekdom101 video but haven't been able to find them anywhere. Any help?

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball with English subs and Japanese title cards?

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Rip the subs from the blue bricks and video from the Dragon Boxes.

You could import the madman release, or track down all the US release and the individual madman release of the saga of goku.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:22 pm

FUNimation's original two-disc sets of the first TV series contained the Japanese title cards, did they not? Weren't they still doing alternate angles for that stuff back then?

Obviously the first thirteen episodes are unavailable in that format from that run of production, but you're otherwise good there.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:FUNimation's original two-disc sets of the first TV series contained the Japanese title cards, did they not? Weren't they still doing alternate angles for that stuff back then?

Obviously the first thirteen episodes are unavailable in that format from that run of production, but you're otherwise good there.
Hmm, ok. I will look into that.

Instead of making a new topic, as a question to you or anyone else: Where's the best place to find the Dragon Ball Dragon Box and what's the average price for it?

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:09 am

VegettoEX wrote:FUNimation's original two-disc sets of the first TV series contained the Japanese title cards, did they not? Weren't they still doing alternate angles for that stuff back then?

I can confirm that the Saga dvds give you the option of watching the episodes with their Japanese title cards. Though the opening and ending animations are displayed creditless when watching in Japanese.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Forte224 wrote:Instead of making a new topic, as a question to you or anyone else: Where's the best place to find the Dragon Ball Dragon Box and what's the average price for it?
Your best bet is probably to import the Dragon Box DVD singles re-release from Japan(They were literally just single-disc repackages of the Dragon Box discs); unlike the full Dragon Boxes, they're still in-print.
As for pricing... It'll probably be pretty high. IIRC it's like £8-12 per disc, which is like... $18-ish?

Honestly, the cheapest option for subs with the Japanese title cards might actually be to buy the UK season DVDs. For the original series only, it's the Madman saga DVDs, but packaged up into sets of four discs. I believe discs 1 and 2(Or 3 and 4, I forget which. Whichever two discs formed the Fortuneteller Baba Saga, it was that one) of season 3 have a glitch, in which one episode is skipped, and one episode has dubtitles, but you can pick up the US saga DVD set containing both discs without that problem for like $9. Only downside will be that the saga DVD will have worse encoding, but it'll be NTSC, so no field blending, I guess.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm

I haven’t watched them all on this platform, but the episodes I’ve watched on FuniNow have the Japanese title cards, provided you’re watching with Japanese audio.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.