Random subtitle question, Vegeta calls Kakarot "Goku"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Random subtitle question, Vegeta calls Kakarot "Goku"?

Post by Forte224 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:44 am

So I've been watching the Dragon Boxes and I'm at where Vegeta is about to turn Super Saiyan for the first time in episode 129. 19 claims he knows all of Vegeta's moves and Vegeta responds they said the same thing about "Kakarotto" in the audio but the subs say "Goku". Seems like a pretty obvious error for them to overlook. Guess this just seemed strange to me. Is this something that's on the blu rays/OBs too or is it just an error on the Dragon Boxes themselves? Also I notice No. 20 sometimes says "energy" when referring to draining people but I'm assuming that's a correct translation and not supposed to say "ki" right?

Thanks. Like I said, kinda random but it's been bugging me.

EDIT: Well I found some blu ray footage (Funi's website) and it's exactly the same, he says Goku. Interestingly enough the Kai blu rays fix this. So I guess it was an error from far back and they just never fixed it?

OutlawTorn
Regular

Re: Random subtitle question, Vegeta calls Kakarot "Goku"?

Post by OutlawTorn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:47 am

Forte224 wrote:Also I notice No. 20 sometimes says "energy" when referring to draining people but I'm assuming that's a correct translation and not supposed to say "ki" right?
In the audio, does 20 say "ki" or "genki"? From my very limited understanding, "genki" essentially translates to "energy" and I imagine if they were going to use a dub term for "ki" it would be something like "power."

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:05 am

OutlawTorn wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Also I notice No. 20 sometimes says "energy" when referring to draining people but I'm assuming that's a correct translation and not supposed to say "ki" right?
In the audio, does 20 say "ki" or "genki"? From my very limited understanding, "genki" essentially translates to "energy" and I imagine if they were going to use a dub term for "ki" it would be something like "power."
I was listening real hard for "genki" but couldn't hear it. He definitely didn't say power

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:05 am

Just checked. That is an odd error. I vaguely remember seeing some incorrect subtitles, and this was one of them.

Not subtitle related, but a few episodes before that one, there's an odd naming choice in an original JPN episode title:

Dragon Ball Z #124: "I Will Overcome Goku!! The King of the Saiyan Warrior Race"

The title implies that it's Vegeta in first-person, but is inconsistent with the birth name that he always refers to Goku as.

Perhaps it was most likely titled that way because "Goku" is more familiar to the audience(?).

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:57 am

The' line is also present on the original Single DVD release, (Androids- Invasion 'Upgrade to Super Saiyan' Ep 114) and the Orange Bricks (Ep 129, Season 4, Disc 4).

"So you say, but when Goku turned Super Saiyan,..."

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 am

LordCrumb wrote:The' line is also present on the original Single DVD release, (Androids- Invasion 'Upgrade to Super Saiyan' Ep 114) and the Orange Bricks (Ep 129, Season 4, Disc 4).

"So you say, but when Goku turned Super Saiyan,..."
So I imagine they've just been copy/pasting the subs to all their releases since then? Even to the latest blu rays without any edits. Funny that it's fixed in Kai's subs which came out before the latest blu rays :roll:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 am

Yeah, they're likely carrying forward all of the subtitle scripts as-is from release to release at this point. It's not really a good usage of Steve's time to review the same string of hundreds of episodes year after year after year.

Kai necessitated a review by the very nature of things being cut up and moved all over the place. If they were going to do that, it made sense that Steve went in and made some tweaks along the way.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:45 pm

I think Steve originally put his subs together during the release of the original DVD singles back in 1999-2005, plus the Z 1-67 material for the Ultimate Uncuts/Orange Bricks around 2005-2006.

I don't think it's necessarily that it's a poor use of Steve's time to quality check the subs for new releases, but that it would cost Funimation money they'd rather not spend to get Steve to look through it all, so they haven't had him do it.

For Kai, I always thought he did fresh translations, since a lot of the dialogue, despite being the same in Japanese, is slightly differently phrased in the subs in Kai compared to Z...?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I think Steve originally put his subs together during the release of the original DVD singles back in 1999-2005, plus the Z 1-67 material for the Ultimate Uncuts/Orange Bricks around 2005-2006.

I don't think it's necessarily that it's a poor use of Steve's time to quality check the subs for new releases, but that it would cost Funimation money they'd rather not spend to get Steve to look through it all, so they haven't had him do it.

For Kai, I always thought he did fresh translations, since a lot of the dialogue, despite being the same in Japanese, is slightly differently phrased in the subs in Kai compared to Z...?
Yeah, a good chunk of lines are totally different, actually. Even Japanese Kai wanted to change some dialogue to make it more accurate to the manga it seems

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Forte224 wrote:Yeah, a good chunk of lines are totally different, actually. Even Japanese Kai wanted to change some dialogue to make it more accurate to the manga it seems
Yeah. Well, plus Steve wanted to fix some of his earlier translation oddities. One big example is "I guess that's what you'd call the weasel's last fart.", which is a literal translation of a Japanese saying, which for Kai, he changed to an English equivalent(Can't remember what the exact line was).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.