Can anyone shed some light on the new remastered movie collection.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nato25
Advanced Regular

Can anyone shed some light on the new remastered movie collection.

Post by nato25 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:22 am

The one at this link:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-show ... ut/498729/

I'm most curious about the audio tracks. It could be an erroneous listing on the back but it doesn't seem to have the original dub 2.0 score included on the disk. I know some people hate the licensed songs but I grew up with them and they're a big part of my enjoyment of the films.

I'm also curious about audio and visual quality and if you would recommend stepping up to these from the dual movie dvds that came out alongside the orange bricks.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Can anyone shed some light on the new remastered movie collection.

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:40 am

(this is kinda off-topic, but this is the 15,000th thread created in the General Franchise Discussion board!)

If I were to guess, the 1.0 is probably an acknowledgement that the Japanese audio is in mono. Having it in mono makes a lot of sense, as splitting the two into stereo just doubles up the file size of those audio tracks.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:05 am

Yeah I believe that's always been the case with the recent releases. Japanese track always come in on mono. Its fairly low quality unfortunately but maybe on bluray wont seem so muffled.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 am

nato25 wrote:Yeah I believe that's always been the case with the recent releases. Japanese track always come in on mono. Its fairly low quality unfortunately but maybe on bluray wont seem so muffled.
Yeah, it is a shame. As much as one should pull their pants up and enjoy it, the low quality mono audio does act as a deterrent for dub fans listening to the Japanese version. I was blown away that one time VegettoEX pulled up a high quality movie clip on the podcast!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:38 pm

KBABZ wrote:Yeah, it is a shame. As much as one should pull their pants up and enjoy it, the low quality mono audio does act as a deterrent for dub fans listening to the Japanese version. I was blown away that one time VegettoEX pulled up a high quality movie clip on the podcast!
Well, Toei have always held the high-quality sep-mag audio masters for the movies. Hell, some of them are even in stereo. Kind of the same for GT, although in GT's case, almost all of it is in stereo(Only episodes 1-4 are mono), and the audio is stored on the D2 master tapes for the series, which was the primary video master for GT until the Dragon Box scans were made around 2004/2005. Unfortunately, the Dragon Boxes use the same low-quality tracks we've all come to know for all of GT, and although they do use the high-quality sep-mags for the movies Dragon Box, I believe only one of them uses the stereo mix, despite stereo mixes of about 3 or 4 of them existing.

And unfortunately, on top of all of this, Toei only ever gave the low-quality versions we all know to Funimation for the movies. If Funimation ever acquired the movie Dragon Box masters, this would have all been solved long ago. :problem:
Maybe someone will give the Dragon Box movie audio to Chris Sabat to go along with his broadcast audio collection. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Yeah, it is a shame. As much as one should pull their pants up and enjoy it, the low quality mono audio does act as a deterrent for dub fans listening to the Japanese version. I was blown away that one time VegettoEX pulled up a high quality movie clip on the podcast!
Well, Toei have always held the high-quality sep-mag audio masters for the movies. Hell, some of them are even in stereo. Kind of the same for GT, although in GT's case, almost all of it is in stereo(Only episodes 1-4 are mono), and the audio is stored on the D2 master tapes for the series, which was the primary video master for GT until the Dragon Box scans were made around 2004/2005. Unfortunately, the Dragon Boxes use the same low-quality tracks we've all come to know for all of GT, and although they do use the high-quality sep-mags for the movies Dragon Box, I believe only one of them uses the stereo mix, despite stereo mixes of about 3 or 4 of them existing.

And unfortunately, on top of all of this, Toei only ever gave the low-quality versions we all know to Funimation for the movies. If Funimation ever acquired the movie Dragon Box masters, this would have all been solved long ago. :problem:
Maybe someone will give the Dragon Box movie audio to Chris Sabat to go along with his broadcast audio collection. :lol:
Doesn't FUNimation have that footage and audio? Because their original press release for the Dragon Boxes in 2009 mentioned them having Z, and the Movies. FUNimation just hasn't released them, but they have it.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2009/07/19/fu ... follow-up/

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:26 pm

I was never able to get any clarification from anyone there about that; it could have been a presumed/erroneous statement to begin with.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:47 pm

I took it upon myself to pick up the set.

I have no knowledge of the previous blu ray 2 packs of the movies but I believe these would be the exact same transfer as those. All 3 broly movies being on the same disc leads me to believe this and just all the included trailers.

You probably get a 20% boost in quality here on the DVDs for the Japanese audio. Its slightly clearer and less muffled.

I'd say the visuals get roughly a 30% boost. Much sharper images, lines are more defined and there is slightly less grain. In my opinion backgrounds receive the biggest boost with the Blu-ray, with details that are really blurred and hard to see on DVD becoming crystal clear thanks to the blu-rays. Colour palette also seems slightly less saturated which I prefer.

Interestingly one of the main differences is the english audio track (the US one with the replacement music, e.g Faulconer and Disturbed) is listed as being in 5.1. For some reason my set up wouldn't play any sound channel in 5.1 (it's pretty old) but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case for the dub before hand.

I'd say this is a great buy at a really enticing price. Maybe not worth an upgrade form the DVD's unless you're a die hard on audio visual quality or just want to have the best. I remember puchasing each pack of DVD's seperately and there are 7 of them all up at $30 AUD retail. This pack came with all movies and the two TV specials for $85 AUD retail. That's about 50% cheaper. Also JB HiFi had the very nice holographic slip cover in black with the Dragon Balls on the front. Inside is just the Two Blu ray sets that you can buy separately. You also save some shelf space with this solution. There are 7 Blu-ray disc included here. Also I much preferred the menus and menu music in this release.

That's about it, please feel free to ask any questions.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:33 pm

nato25 wrote:I'd say the visuals get roughly a 30% boost. Much sharper images, lines are more defined and there is slightly less grain.
Less grain isn't always a good thing. :P

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:39 am

Yeah i know grain is often a hot topic between critics in visual quality. I personally see grain as a defect caused by the medium but i appreciate people who want that original image and believe grain is integral to the experience. Just know there is less grain here.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:15 pm

nato25 wrote:Yeah i know grain is often a hot topic between critics in visual quality. I personally see grain as a defect caused by the medium but i appreciate people who want that original image and believe grain is integral to the experience. Just know there is less grain here.
Grain isn't integral to the experience; it's a compontent of the film format which can -- and should -- be reduced if handled carefully, but when the company involved is Funimation, you lose so much detail in the process, it's just not worth it. Particularly when they're going as far with the grain removal as they historically have.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:15 am

I personally just see it is a cleaner image but there are definitely times where the grain removal has made the image too 'simplistic' for lack of a better word. Honestly to me i could take it or leave it, I do think the blurays look better overall for sure.

I'm more than happy for people to stick with the dragon boxes as the best quality release, but i dont see me ever paying for them personally. Main reasons being audio visual quality, price and i prefer having the option of the dub soundtrack than not.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm not a fan of the movies Dragon Box anyway; the widescreen cropping turns me off.

The original Funimation and Madman DVD singles are a far better option, in my eyes.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 am

More the Madman singles than the R1 Funi singles, i'm sure...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:47 pm

On the subject of BR, the whole PAL 50hz/NTSC 60hz isn't an issue on Blu Ray is it?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:54 pm

In theory, no.

In practise... Depends on the competence of the company involved.