Dragonball2018.com is registered.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragonball2018.com is registered.

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 am

ABED wrote:
Because people keep (wrongly) thinking the next generation have Dick Grayson/Damian Wayne levels of character depth to warrant their own stories & spin offs. Oh and something something fucking Gohan.
Except this wouldn't be a spin-off. This would be changing the main character of the story.
Eh, the same thing applies here too. People want that "Gohan (or in this case Pan) takes over from Goku!" thing from the Boo arc to happen without realizing that Goku's spawn all fall into the usual trip of protagonist off spring where they're considerably more boring then the people proceeding them.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Because people keep (wrongly) thinking the next generation have Dick Grayson/Damian Wayne levels of character depth to warrant their own stories & spin offs. Oh and something something fucking Gohan.
Except this wouldn't be a spin-off. This would be changing the main character of the story.
Eh, the same thing applies here too. People want that "Gohan (or in this case Pan) takes over from Goku!" thing from the Boo arc to happen without realizing that Goku's spawn all fall into the usual trip of protagonist off spring where they're considerably more boring then the people proceeding them.
Exactly. The problem is that the main character has typically tackled all the heavy lifting and big bads of that universe so the next generation forever lives in the shadow of the previous because the adversity they face is far less than what the writers can believable create for the new group. To my knowledge the only ones who have been able to do this with any remote interest are Nightwing, Superboy (Prime), and Cable.. and mostly because their stories are completely separate from their predecessors.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:25 am

The movie will definitely focus on Goku. People seem to think what they want is what everyone wants or what would be best for the series but that’s not the case. Goku is number one just not in power but in popularity. Japan loves his type of hero.

But Goku can still be the focus and the kids can still have a role to play.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 am

You know what i want for the movie,something related to that time traveler of U12 or the other exempted universes
Last edited by The gr on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mostly active on discord.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 am

TheMikado wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote: Except this wouldn't be a spin-off. This would be changing the main character of the story.
Exactly. The problem is that the main character has typically tackled all the heavy lifting and big bads of that universe so the next generation forever lives in the shadow of the previous because the adversity they face is far less than what the writers can believable create for the new group. To my knowledge the only ones who have been able to do this with any remote interest are Nightwing, Superboy (Prime), and Cable.. and mostly because their stories are completely separate from their predecessors.
I'd throw in JoJo as an example of how to make it work but JoJo very early on established that it was not just gonna be Jonathan and Dio punching each other for the next 30 years week after week.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 am

Whether they are more boring or not is a matter of opinion, but changing the focus of the story doesn't feel right. It's not their story. I like Dick Grayson as much as the next person and think his journey is interesting and worth telling, but not as the main character of Batman. Gohan is interesting, but DB isn't his story.
Exactly. I loved X-23, but Logan was about Logan's journey. She plays a role in HIS story, not the other way around.

Ultimately, I have my ideas of what I would like to see, but I don't want to judge the movie against my ideas. I'll try to judge it on its own terms.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 am

ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:If this is a movie, I want it to centered around the new generation (Oob, Pan and Bra) taking up the mantle of Earth's mightiest warriors. I mean, just give it a chance. It can work. And if people reject it, then go back to drawing board. But there is no harm at all in at least attempting to bring a fresh perspective on the story.
The franchise is 30 years old, there's not nearly as much risk as you assume if they try a new idea.
It's precisely because DB is such an old franchise that this would be a risk. 30 years with the same MC and main cast, people rarely like new things replacing something that they are really fond of. Very few fans are in favor of the next gen idea, and I'm not just talking about DB here.

It worked for stories like Jojo and Digimon because they've incorporated this concept early on, so fans are used to a new set of characters every couple of years, but the same can't be said for Dragon Ball.

I've said it before, I am convinced that you can make a great story out of anything, but there are safe bets and there are risky gambles, and doing a DB movie that doesn't have Goku as it's main focus belongs to the latter IMO.

Not saying they shouldn't try the next gen thing at all, but maybe start out smaller, like a series of OVA's or a digital manga.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 am

ABED wrote:What kind of experimenting
Mainly, the look of the series and the sound. I'm not a fan of the designs and while it is an unreal expectation, I hope there is a design change for just the film, if it happens of course. Give it to another person. Same thing with the sound. The current stuff is 90% of the time forgettable trash and Dragon Ball's sound wasn't forgettable trash, so a change in that department would be nice as well. Also, the tone. Experimentation as in go with one singular tone. If it is a serious story, let it be serious all the way through and if it is lighthearted and adventurous, let it be that way. Don't balance. I'd like to see how the staff would handle that.
ABED wrote:Why do you guys care so much about the next generation getting focus?
Experimentation again. Trying something new and trying that out in a theatrical environment would be the best way to introduce new and important characters. Also, I'm tired of Gokuu and Vegeta. I'd like to see something new. If it fails, it fails, but do it. Again, this is just my unreal wish and I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen cause the producers of the series are really traditional minded folks and DBS' safe approach is proof of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am

The reason I'm not in favor of it is because after so long with the same character, they build up, let us call it "emotional equity". They are irreplaceable.

I think franchises like Star Wars and DB are safe bets at this point regardless, so it's not a risk to make changes, but simply putting a new generation in the driver's seat often gives the appearance of meaningful change.
Experimentation as in go with one singular tone. If it is a serious story, let it be serious all the way through and if it is lighthearted and adventurous, let it be that way. Don't balance. I'd like to see how the staff would handle that.
Interesting idea, but not one I agree with. I think people have misconceptions about tone. Tone can change from scene to scene or even within a scene. It's not about balance, it's simply about making it all work together to get the desired effect, whatever it is. A story with shifts in tone can work great just as easily as stories with the same tone can make it all feel monotonous.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am

If there was justice in this world these three dates would be reserved for a trilogy of forty-five minute movies that would later be re-edited into a single movie so as to maintain the quality of their productions. :(
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:35 am

Kinokima wrote:The movie will definitely focus on Goku. People seem to think what they want is what everyone wants or what would be best for the series but that’s not the case. Goku is number one just not in power but in popularity. Japan loves his type of hero.

Where has a movie been announced? As far as I know only a website has been registered.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

sangofe wrote: Where has a movie been announced? As far as I know only a website has been registered.
Nowhere. Whoever registered the site, they took 2019 and 2020 with them too :lol:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:42 am

sangofe wrote:
Kinokima wrote:The movie will definitely focus on Goku. People seem to think what they want is what everyone wants or what would be best for the series but that’s not the case. Goku is number one just not in power but in popularity. Japan loves his type of hero.

Where has a movie been announced? As far as I know only a website has been registered.

It hasn't been officially announced we are all just speculating.

From now on I'll make sure to say the possible new Dragon Ball movie :wink:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:04 am

JulieYBM wrote:If there was justice in this world these three dates would be reserved for a trilogy of forty-five minute movies that would later be re-edited into a single movie so as to maintain the quality of their productions. :(
As much as I love the high quality movies we got in BOG and RF, I wouldn't mind things going back to the way they were in Z where we get shorter, less expensive movies once a year. Those movies really made the Z era feel a lot bigger than it was.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 am

JulieYBM wrote:If there was justice in this world these three dates would be reserved for a trilogy of forty-five minute movies that would later be re-edited into a single movie so as to maintain the quality of their productions. :(
If there were justice in this world (such as justice pertains to my petty standards of quality for a Japanese children's series, which is really devaluing the word), they'd be Resurrection "F" sequels written by Toriyama and/or Toyotaro adaptations so I never have to touch the Super TV show again.

But there won't be that justice today or any other day.

Also, everyone, please, let's make a thread even shittier than the Resurrection "F" one this time. Give me your energy.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:If this is a movie, I want it to centered around the new generation (Oob, Pan and Bra) taking up the mantle of Earth's mightiest warriors.
Had Super been set after EOZ with Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Uub, Pan & Bra being developed for the past 112 episodes alongside the original cast then it might have a chance at working.

Look at how well developed Gohan was throughout Z and Toriyama still couldn't get behind having him fully take over so if that didn't work then there's no way he'll do it with these 3 who've had 0 development.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:It could be a live action film. :lol: Anime being adapted to live action is becoming a trend nowadays. Oh, I'd love to see the reactions if it happened.

But, if it is an animation film assuming of course that this is going to be a film, I'd like to see something different. No Toriyama script, no usual nonsense and most importantly no Yamamuro as director. Let the anime staff run wild for once. The theatrical space is the best place for experimentation and hopefully the traditional minded producers understand this and let the staff have some fun. And, seconded the next generation story idea. It is about damn fucking time they got some focus.
What kind of experimenting?

Why do you guys care so much about the next generation getting focus?
Maybe because they haven't really gotten any, and are way past due?

I'm sure that I'm in the minority on this, but I think those of us who are looking for focus are tired of them being ignored for characters who already have an overabundance of development. In my case it irritates me that characters are introduced as consequential players in one arc and then discarded in the next on a whim, although that's more a feature of Toriyama's writing rather than anytging specific to DBS.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:59 pm

I really want this to be another movie but only if Toriyama was heavily involved. I still think Chuquita had a really good idea for it.

They'd have a movie where Goku, Vegeta and friends and family would go to the Universe 6 Planet Sadla which was mentioned all the back at the start of the Universe 6 saga.

It would be a self contained story so would be canon without being too directly involved with the sagas going on around it. I don't know how it would work considering that Universe 6 might possibly be destroyed.

Either it could take place before this saga if it makes sense I'm not sure or Universe 6 won't be destroyed for whatever reason and it would take place after this saga.

danyq94

Post by danyq94 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:03 pm

I would prefer new stories, even "no canon", I do not care, but no retelling. I do not want DBSuper arcs strings adapted in a movie.
Give me animated Minus, give me animated Jaco, give me something else. But no retelling.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:03 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:PLEASE no retellings. Idk why people actually want more of them instead of something new and original
If they did Toyotaro's story, it's not exactly a "re-telling" in a sense. There's plenty of reasons for people to want it, especially if they preferred the manga.

I would honestly want a Planet Sadal movie, though.
The movie wouldn't be nearly as successful as previous movies if they were just to make a slightly altered version of an old saga that we know all about. That's not going to be all that interesting.

They did that with the One Piece movies which covered the Alabasta saga and then Drum Kingdom saga and they were the least successful of them all and was why Oda had to step in for the next one, Strong World to save the movies.