Dragonball2018.com is registered.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: Dragonball2018.com is registered.

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 am

Looking back at the artwork in the Future Trunks saga, I actually really hope that's what this movie is because it'd be hella nice to get that in quality artwork and animation.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:16 am

Bullza wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if the movie ends up being a re-telling of the Universe 6 Tournament?
I doubt it, they made that mistake with One Piece, I don't think they'd be stupid enough to do it again.

If they want to make money then they need to come out with some new and interesting like the last two movies.
I sure hope it's something new, but the threat of a recap movie still looms over us all. It's an easy and cheaper way to make a quick buck, and given how late in 2017 it is to announce a movie that will supposedly come out in 2018, it might mean its something that can be put together really fast.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:46 am

People are really hyping this huh. Would be a shame if it were nothing movie or even toei related :D

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:37 am

Michsi wrote:I sure hope it's something new, but the threat of a recap movie still looms over us all. It's an easy and cheaper way to make a quick buck, and given how late in 2017 it is to announce a movie that will supposedly come out in 2018, it might mean its something that can be put together really fast.
It'd be a huge mistake. Battle of Gods and Resurrection F made $116 million combined on a budget less than 1/10th of that.

A third movie has a great shot at surpassing the last two considering how the popularity exploded with Super. They'd be wasting their time and money by making a recap movie.

If that was the route they were going to go then a retelling of the Future Trunks saga would be much better than a Universe 6 movie. If Super had never been made at all, I could have seen that as being the movie to follow Resurrection F and it would probably have been the best one.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 am

Bullza wrote:
Michsi wrote:I sure hope it's something new, but the threat of a recap movie still looms over us all. It's an easy and cheaper way to make a quick buck, and given how late in 2017 it is to announce a movie that will supposedly come out in 2018, it might mean its something that can be put together really fast.
It'd be a huge mistake. Battle of Gods and Resurrection F made $116 million combined on a budget less than 1/10th of that.

A third movie has a great shot at surpassing the last two considering how the popularity exploded with Super. They'd be wasting their time and money by making a recap movie.

If that was the route they were going to go then a retelling of the Future Trunks saga would be much better than a Universe 6 movie. If Super had never been made at all, I could have seen that as being the movie to follow Resurrection F and it would probably have been the best one.
The difference between when BoG and RoF came out and now is DBS. Wouldn't that mean they'd be working simultaneously on both the series and the movie? People claim the animation schedule and the whole production process behind DBS is a little messed up because of time constraints, I can't imagine what working on additional material for a movie might do to it.
Neither U6 arc nor Future Trunks arc are appealing to me. U6 arc is basically a tournament and the stakes are almost non-existent. Future Trunks arc, while more entertaining, only makes use of Goku and Vegeta with a little bit of Trunks on the side, to that's a big no from me too.

This is all just speculation, but on the off chance that the DBS does end after TOP as some have said, they might be thinking of continuing the story through movies.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 am

The stakes are non-existent? Isn't the point of the tournament to decide what universes live or die?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:02 am

I was talking about the U6 arc. I don't think the TOP would be taken into consideration for a recap movie just yet.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 am

At the end of the day, all I ask is that the movies be enjoyable. We all have our ideas of what we would like to see or what we think should be the story, but I don't think that should be what we judge the end result against.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:19 am

Michsi wrote:The difference between when BoG and RoF came out and now is DBS. Wouldn't that mean they'd be working simultaneously on both the series and the movie? People claim the animation schedule and the whole production process behind DBS is a little messed up because of time constraints, I can't imagine what working on additional material for a movie might do to it.
Well they've made One Piece Film Strong World, Z and Gold whilst the anime has been running. Those movies had great animation, I have no idea if the series suffered from it at all though.

Same with how they made the well animated Last Naruto Movie and Boruto the Movie while Naruto Shippuden was still going on.

You'd think if they could do it then Dragon Ball could get by as well. I wouldn't really know though.
Neither U6 arc nor Future Trunks arc are appealing to me. U6 arc is basically a tournament and the stakes are almost non-existent. Future Trunks arc, while more entertaining, only makes use of Goku and Vegeta with a little bit of Trunks on the side, to that's a big no from me too.
The Universe 6 probably wouldn't have worked as a movie being as it's just a Tournament with the majority of it being fighting. There wasn't much in the way of story or stakes either like you mentioned.

Had the Future Trunks saga been a movie originally I do think it would have done really well though.

People liked Battle of Gods because of its story and what it added to the lore and disliked the lack of action and it being light hearted. People liked Resurrection F because it was more serious and had more action and disliked that it didn't really push the story much.

Well a Future Trunks movie would have the best of both, it would expand the story and the lore while also being more serious and with a lot of action.

Yeah some of the others like Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin etc wouldn't really have had any kind of role but they are sorta limited when it's a movie.
This is all just speculation, but on the off chance that the DBS does end after TOP as some have said, they might be thinking of continuing the story through movies.
I'm being greedy but I wouldn't want Super to end. I would want Toriyama heavily involved with the movie. I would want it to be canonical and fit in with the events of Super but without it really affecting Super.

All very possible but maybe unlikely.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 am

The Universe 6 probably wouldn't have worked as a movie being as it's just a Tournament with the majority of it being fighting. There wasn't much in the way of story or stakes either like you mentioned.
Fighting IS a story.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:59 am

Bullza wrote: Well they've made One Piece Film Strong World, Z and Gold whilst the anime has been running. Those movies had great animation, I have no idea if the series suffered from it at all though.

Same with how they made the well animated Last Naruto Movie and Boruto the Movie while Naruto Shippuden was still going on.

You'd think if they could do it then Dragon Ball could get by as well. I wouldn't really know though.
One Piece movies, specifically since Strong World, can look absolutely amazing, but the series itself seems to be lacking in quality even by TV standards. I don't follow the series and only looked at a few clips so I myself can't judge, but there's been voices that claimed that DBS actually looks better than OP on average. I know other studios can balance their work just fine, Naruto being a good example, but I'm not sure about Toei. They seem to be struggling with their schedule as it is.

Yeah some of the others like Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin etc wouldn't really have had any kind of role but they are sorta limited when it's a movie.
To be fair, movies tend to treat these characters better than the series. Especially in Piccolo's case when talking about ROF.
I'm being greedy but I wouldn't want Super to end. I would want Toriyama heavily involved with the movie. I would want it to be canonical and fit in with the events of Super but without it really affecting Super.

All very possible but maybe unlikely.
I don't want it to end either. Despite having flaws Future Trunks arc and the TOP arc are a definite step up from the earlier episodes, so I'm hoping this upwards trend continues. It'd be a shame if it'd end just as it was getting better.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 am

mute_proxy wrote:People are really hyping this huh. Would be a shame if it were nothing movie or even toei related :D
That could end up being the case. As far as I know anyone can register whatever domain name they want. If something isn't officially announced by the end of November then it might be nothing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:27 pm

sintzu wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:People are really hyping this huh. Would be a shame if it were nothing movie or even toei related :D
That could end up being the case. As far as I know anyone can register whatever domain name they want. If something isn't officially announced by the end of November then it might be nothing.
It'd be fun to make Toei cash out money to buy the domains. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:19 pm

sangofe wrote:It'd be fun to make Toei cash out money to buy the domains. :lol:
They own the rights to DB so wouldn't they be able to take it for free ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:31 pm

If they are gonna retell the arcs into movies it will not be good, and the promise of a movie doesn't even automatically mean good or better animation too, episode #109-110 looked better than anything in BoG and RF combined.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:26 pm

It'd be kind of cool (if it IS a movie) that the movie ends the series.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:56 pm

ABED wrote:
Fighting IS a story.
Not an interesting one worth paying money for.

A little story at the beginning to explain the next 9 back to back fights is no good.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Bullza wrote:
ABED wrote:
Fighting IS a story.
Not an interesting one worth paying money for.

A little story at the beginning to explain the next 9 back to back fights is no good.
Of course it is. It's ALL story. Stories are just what people do and say, which includes fighting.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 pm

ABED wrote:Not an interesting one worth paying money for.

Of course it is. It's ALL story. Stories are just what people do and say.[/quote]

Yeah I know, I'm saying it would be a lousy story.

Beerus and Champa set up a Tournament because of food, they train a little bit, then there's 9 fights in a row and then Beerus wishes for Universe 6's Earth to come back.The end.

It worked as part a saga in a series but it'd make for a empty movie. No real antagonist, no stakes, no tension, fights would be rushed badly because of a lack of screentime, no real selling point etc.

It would never have worked. If they'd made a movie out of the Future Trunks saga idea then that would have worked very well though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Do you not see the irony in that statement? The fights in DB go on for episodes. The fight against Vegeta in Kai was 4 episodes.
fights would be rushed badly because of a lack of screentime
It wouldn't be the same story but condensed. You'd structure it differently.
no real selling point etc.
Dragon Ball is the selling point