Dragonball2018.com is registered.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragonball2018.com is registered.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
ABED wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:It could be a live action film. :lol: Anime being adapted to live action is becoming a trend nowadays. Oh, I'd love to see the reactions if it happened.

But, if it is an animation film assuming of course that this is going to be a film, I'd like to see something different. No Toriyama script, no usual nonsense and most importantly no Yamamuro as director. Let the anime staff run wild for once. The theatrical space is the best place for experimentation and hopefully the traditional minded producers understand this and let the staff have some fun. And, seconded the next generation story idea. It is about damn fucking time they got some focus.
What kind of experimenting?

Why do you guys care so much about the next generation getting focus?
Maybe because they haven't really gotten any, and are way past due?

I'm sure that I'm in the minority on this, but I think those of us who are looking for focus are tired of them being ignored for characters who already have an overabundance of development. In my case it irritates me that characters are introduced as consequential players in one arc and then discarded in the next on a whim, although that's more a feature of Toriyama's writing rather than anytging specific to DBS.
This is something definitely at it's worse in the Buu arc, Videl as soon as she decided to head back to tournament and not follow Gohan and Kibito faded into the tertiary background and essentially was just the "loved one" for Gohan, and as soon as Gotenks was absorbed that was it for Goten and Trunks. Once he decided to bring back Goku and Vegeta it did seem he couldn't think of a way to use the others and so killed them off and relegated them and concentrated fully on Goku and Vegeta, I'm glad he decided to bring Goku back but it did make everything else earlier in the arc feel kind of a waste of time, if you know what I mean, bringing back Goku and Vegeta didn't mean he had to ditch what he was doing with the others, it just felt that he never had the balance quite right in the Buu arc, that is primarily why I don't care for a "new gen" stories, the development boat has passed a loooooong time ago and frankly I don't care now, once Goku leaves the show, so will my interest.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Bullza wrote:It would be a self contained story so would be canon without being too directly involved with the sagas going on around it. I don't know how it would work considering that Universe 6 might possibly be destroyed.
It and whatever other universe destroyed will most likely be wished back or something so it can be set afterwards. I can see the end of the tournament setting it up with everyone deciding to go there.
Bullza wrote:The movie wouldn't be nearly as successful as previous movies if they were just to make a slightly altered version of an old saga that we know all about. That's not going to be all that interesting.
If it's set within Super's "canon" then I can see it being turned into an arc later down the road.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:42 pm

I do agree with the idea of dragon ball forever sticking with the main cast/first generation/Heroes, but I believe a common misconception in our community is that Gohan is a next generation character when he is not due to being introduced to the main cast in the Saiyan Arc alongside Vegeta and has been developed alongside with Goku, Krillin Vegeta Piccolo and F. Trunks. While the characters born the Majin Boo arc and forward are considered the next generation like Goten, Kid Trunks, Pan, Bra, And Uub who are far less developed and interesting IMO!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Michsi wrote:
ABED wrote:
Michsi wrote:
The franchise is 30 years old, there's not nearly as much risk as you assume if they try a new idea.
It's precisely because DB is such an old franchise that this would be a risk. 30 years with the same MC and main cast, people rarely like new things replacing something that they are really fond of. Very few fans are in favor of the next gen idea, and I'm not just talking about DB here.

It worked for stories like Jojo and Digimon because they've incorporated this concept early on, so fans are used to a new set of characters every couple of years, but the same can't be said for Dragon Ball.

I've said it before, I am convinced that you can make a great story out of anything, but there are safe bets and there are risky gambles, and doing a DB movie that doesn't have Goku as it's main focus belongs to the latter IMO.

Not saying they shouldn't try the next gen thing at all, but maybe start out smaller, like a series of OVA's or a digital manga.
The irony of all this conversation is that GT attempted to do exactly what everyone here is saying and they really put a ton of thought into spirt of Dragonball and how to incorporate the "next generation" kids into Goku's story.
But with the original manga concluded, you decided to do an original story?
That’s right. The last chapter of the original manga is set ten years after the battle with Majin Boo, so initially the idea was to have anime-original stories depicting the events of those ten years, and various such stories were planned out. Content-wise it was thought that the plot would revolve around the exploits of characters such as Pan or Trunks; in other words, the next generation of children.
So it was envisioned as “Dragon Ball: The Next Generation”.
Then when word was sent to Toriyama-sensei and the Weekly Shonen Jump editorial department that we wanted to make a new series, after some initial meetings the viewpoint emerged that it would be preferable to do a completely original story, separate from the original manga. Certainly that way, with a “Dragon Ball different than the original manga”, Toriyama-sensei could enjoy it too, and there was also the opinion that it would be terribly disrespectful not to make it a separate work from sensei‘s original manga. With that, it was decided to take it in the direction of depicting events after the original manga’s final chapter. In other words, a style of Dragon Ball that wouldn’t drag out Dragon Ball.

Planning for Dragon Ball GT went forward with the next generation of characters, but looking at the series as a whole, it ended up being Son Goku’s story.
When all is said and done, the protagonist of Dragon Ball is Son Goku. Characters such as Piccolo, Vegeta, or Trunks may be popular too, but in the end it’s Goku. As a creator I felt that in my bones, and Dragon Ball GT‘s biggest sticking point, was how to intertwine Goku into the story of Pan and the rest of the next generation of kids.
That’s when I thought of turning Goku back into a kid himself. It was also determined that since Dragon Ball Z had taken its hard-edged story developments to their limit, it would be difficult for this original series to do “here comes an even stronger enemy”-type battle stories. There was also a thought that we should return to the initial Dragon Ball TV series. And so it ended up being an adventure story were they travel through outer space.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm

ssjprodigy wrote:I do agree with the idea of dragon ball forever sticking with the main cast/first generation/Heroes, but I believe a common misconception in our community is that Gohan is a next generation character when he is not due to being introduced to the main cast in the Saiyan Arc alongside Vegeta and has been developed alongside with Goku, Krillin Vegeta Piccolo and F. Trunks. While the characters born the Majin Boo arc and forward are considered the next generation like Goten, Kid Trunks, Pan, Bra, And Uub who are far less developed and interesting IMO!

Yeah I agree with you that Gohan is definitely first generation and one of the most developed characters of DB.

While Goten & Trunks aren’t on the same level as Gohan I still would like to see them more than we have in Super. That doesn’t mean I think they should be the main characters just that they should have a larger role. But then I am biased I’ve always loved Goten & Kid Trunks.

But I don’t think a show with Pan, Bra, Uub, Kid Trunks, Goten as the main characters would be as successful as people seem to think. Sure I’d love to see more of the kids (although not particularly attached to Uub) and I am happy to have them have episodes focused on them but I don’t think they need to become the main focus of Dragon Ball.

Heck Dragonball is a breath of fresh air and completely unique that its main character (played by an 80 year old woman) is actually now a Grandfather. I am sorry that is absolutely amazing. And yes I love having adults as main characters. Does every show need to have kids and teens as the MC’s?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 pm

TheMikado wrote:The irony of all this conversation is that GT attempted to do exactly what everyone here is saying and they really put a ton of thought into spirt of Dragonball and how to incorporate the "next generation" kids into Goku's story.
That’s right. The last chapter of the original manga is set ten years after the battle with Majin Boo, so initially the idea was to have anime-original stories depicting the events of those ten years, and various such stories were planned out. Content-wise it was thought that the plot would revolve around the exploits of characters such as Pan or Trunks; in other words, the next generation of children.
Then when word was sent to Toriyama-sensei and the Weekly Shonen Jump editorial department that we wanted to make a new series, after some initial meetings the viewpoint emerged that it would be preferable to do a completely original story, separate from the original manga. Certainly that way, with a “Dragon Ball different than the original manga”, Toriyama-sensei could enjoy it too, and there was also the opinion that it would be terribly disrespectful not to make it a separate work from sensei‘s original manga. With that, it was decided to take it in the direction of depicting events after the original manga’s final chapter. In other words, a style of Dragon Ball that wouldn’t drag out Dragon Ball.

Planning for Dragon Ball GT went forward with the next generation of characters, but looking at the series as a whole, it ended up being Son Goku’s story.
When all is said and done, the protagonist of Dragon Ball is Son Goku. Characters such as Piccolo, Vegeta, or Trunks may be popular too, but in the end it’s Goku. As a creator I felt that in my bones, and Dragon Ball GT‘s biggest sticking point, was how to intertwine Goku into the story of Pan and the rest of the next generation of kids.
That’s when I thought of turning Goku back into a kid himself. It was also determined that since Dragon Ball Z had taken its hard-edged story developments to their limit, it would be difficult for this original series to do “here comes an even stronger enemy”-type battle stories. There was also a thought that we should return to the initial Dragon Ball TV series. And so it ended up being an adventure story were they travel through outer space.
This is one of the things I think GT tried to do right even if I think they bungled the execution, particularly in making Pan a damsel in distress (which they talk about in that interview) and writing Uub off for nearly half the series just to throw him under the Baby Bus upon return. But I'm also in the minority in thinking that the road trip space adventures were more entertaining than the Baby arc and the Shadow Dragons arc. I don't think it even needed the hook of the Earth exploding; just have Goku, Trunks, Pan and whoever going on space adventures to explore or train. Super has done some amusing things with Pan but the time period limits what they can do with her since, you know, she's not even a toddler yet and Bra is just a newborn.
ssjprodigy wrote:I do agree with the idea of dragon ball forever sticking with the main cast/first generation/Heroes, but I believe a common misconception in our community is that Gohan is a next generation character when he is not due to being introduced to the main cast in the Saiyan Arc alongside Vegeta and has been developed alongside with Goku, Krillin Vegeta Piccolo and F. Trunks. While the characters born the Majin Boo arc and forward are considered the next generation like Goten, Kid Trunks, Pan, Bra, And Uub who are far less developed and interesting IMO!
Gohan was a next generation character when he was introduced. He was born mid-way through the story as the son of the now-grown main character. The Piccolo we know arguably was too with that whole reincarnation/offspring thing. The difference is when they appeared in the story. Gohan showed up mid-way and had around half the story's total length to grow up and develop as a character. Goten and Trunks the Younger came in during the last arc and Pan and Uub in the last two (rather brief) chapters. They're going to be less interesting and developed when they only have a fraction of the page time. If Gohan had only appeared in the Saiyan Saga he'd just be Goku's crybaby son who's unusually strong.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:41 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
TheMikado wrote:The irony of all this conversation is that GT attempted to do exactly what everyone here is saying and they really put a ton of thought into spirt of Dragonball and how to incorporate the "next generation" kids into Goku's story.

This is one of the things I think GT tried to do right even if I think they bungled the execution, particularly in making Pan a damsel in distress (which they talk about in that interview) and writing Uub off for nearly half the series just to throw him under the Baby Bus upon return. But I'm also in the minority in thinking that the road trip space adventures were more entertaining than the Baby arc and the Shadow Dragons arc. I don't think it even needed the hook of the Earth exploding; just have Goku, Trunks, Pan and whoever going on space adventures to explore or train. Super has done some amusing things with Pan but the time period limits what they can do with her since, you know, she's not even a toddler yet and Bra is just a newborn.
Gohan was a next generation character when he was introduced. He was born mid-way through the story as the son of the now-grown main character. The Piccolo we know arguably was too with that whole reincarnation/offspring thing. The difference is when they appeared in the story. Gohan showed up mid-way and had around half the story's total length to grow up and develop as a character. Goten and Trunks the Younger came in during the last arc and Pan and Uub in the last two (rather brief) chapters. They're going to be less interesting and developed when they only have a fraction of the page time. If Gohan had only appeared in the Saiyan Saga he'd just be Goku's crybaby son who's unusually strong.
I don't exactly agree, because even though Gohan was introduced in the Saiyan Arc, When the so called Z era takes place he is established alongside Goku and the others as a Sidekick/Boy Wonder (Dick Grayson) type character that goes with adventures with adults. While Goku is the Older (leader Type Figure) that is the main focus but receives help from his rivals/Friends. Gohan does not immediately replace Goku as main character when he is introduced, he does get his own side plot with him growing as person and gaining courage and being brave with Piccolo's Teaching and Goku's Fatherly Support in the Cell Arc. While I see Goten and Trunks like how I see Boruto, Sarada, Connor Kent and Damian Wayne with them having a lot of similarities with there fathers do to them maybe (Maybe Not) replacing there father in the near future

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 pm

I just hope that, if this is in fact a movie, Toriyama isn't involved with it other than maybe character designs. I miss the old films that were more like what-if scenarios and didn't tie in to the actual story.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm

ssjprodigy wrote: I don't exactly agree, because even though Gohan was introduced in the Saiyan Arc, When the so called Z era takes place he is established alongside Goku and the others as a Sidekick/Boy Wonder (Dick Grayson) type character that goes with adventures with adults. While Goku is the Older (leader Type Figure) that is the main focus but receives help from his rivals/Friends. Gohan does not immediately replace Goku as main character when he is introduced, he does get his own side plot with him growing as person and gaining courage and being brave with Piccolo's Teaching and Goku's Fatherly Support in the Cell Arc. While I see Goten and Trunks like how I see Boruto, Sarada, Connor Kent and Damian Wayne with them having a lot of similarities with there fathers do to them maybe (Maybe Not) replacing there father in the near future
A character being "next generation" doesn't mean an automatic boost into main character status or dictate any level of relevance. It simply means that they are part of a new generation, which Gohan was, being born mid-way through the story to two original generation characters. Kid Goku's crew was the original generation, Gohan was the second (Trunks straddles 2 and 3), Goten, Kid Trunks, and Marron are 3, and Pan, Bra and Uub are 4.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:01 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
ssjprodigy wrote: I don't exactly agree, because even though Gohan was introduced in the Saiyan Arc, When the so called Z era takes place he is established alongside Goku and the others as a Sidekick/Boy Wonder (Dick Grayson) type character that goes with adventures with adults. While Goku is the Older (leader Type Figure) that is the main focus but receives help from his rivals/Friends. Gohan does not immediately replace Goku as main character when he is introduced, he does get his own side plot with him growing as person and gaining courage and being brave with Piccolo's Teaching and Goku's Fatherly Support in the Cell Arc. While I see Goten and Trunks like how I see Boruto, Sarada, Connor Kent and Damian Wayne with them having a lot of similarities with there fathers do to them maybe (Maybe Not) replacing there father in the near future
A character being "next generation" doesn't mean an automatic boost into main character status or dictate any level of relevance. It simply means that they are part of a new generation, which Gohan was, being born mid-way through the story to two original generation characters. Kid Goku's crew was the original generation, Gohan was the second (Trunks straddles 2 and 3), Goten, Kid Trunks, and Marron are 3, and Pan, Bra and Uub are 4.
Ah okay I see what you mean I guess that also make Future Trunks Semi 2nd Gen too(as you pointed out) with Gohan because he grew up in a Alternate Timeline but arriving to the present as a teen.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:18 pm

sintzu wrote:If it's set within Super's "canon" then I can see it being turned into an arc later down the road.
I'd hope they wouldn't, I wasn't a fan of them doing that with Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. A lot of people weren't but at least that made some sense.

I'd just want it to be its own story that was canon to Super but wasn't that important to the overall story so Super can continue without having to make too much reference to it.

Like how the events of Resurrection F happened over the course of a couple hours, didn't really push the story too significantly and the manga ignores it without too much issue.

Perhaps this Universe Survival saga ends and then there's another several month time skip. Well they could have a movie where they just went to Planet Salad for like a day or two, got into stuff there, resolved everything and then came back home.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 pm

Getting focus and development doesn't require being the or even a main character.

It might be interesting to have a movie that is canon but is also a stand alone story
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 pm

I would like to see a movie where the director felt like he was the inception and a real leader, rather than the hired guns that Hosoda and Yamamuro were. Get someone like Tanaka Yuuta or Hatano Morio to direct, unless Nagamine Tatsuya leaves the series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:40 am

TheMikado wrote: The irony of all this conversation is that GT attempted to do exactly what everyone here is saying and they really put a ton of thought into spirt of Dragonball and how to incorporate the "next generation" kids into Goku's story.

Again, it all comes down to execution. While I don't know what the general opinion of the Japanese fandom was, one of the few things that the majority of western fandom agrees on regarding GT, is that Pan was unlikeable. This is what it comes down to in the end - if you want to replace someone like Goku, Vegeta etc you have to make sure the new characters are really, really appealing, in both personality and design, (and preferably not clones of the originals ) otherwise they will always be compared to the old, beloved cast and come up short.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:44 am

I don't know if the intent was ever to change the main character to Pan. Even if a new character is liked, he/she is always going to be compared to the old, beloved cast.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:34 am

I think super will finish un few month if you watch BD box 11 will have 13ep instead of 12 and in japan it usually occur when a série finish si maybe they LL do a movie for thé end

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:04 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:I think super will finish un few month if you watch BD box 11 will have 13ep instead of 12 and in japan it usually occur when a série finish si maybe they LL do a movie for thé end
Definitelly not, Super is too big of a cash cow right now

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:I think super will finish un few month if you watch BD box 11 will have 13ep instead of 12 and in japan it usually occur when a série finish si maybe they'll do a movie for thé end
If Super was ending this soon they would've promoted this arc as the final to get more people hyped up for it.

What I think is that they know the final number of episodes and are beginning to line up the sets to fit them. If it's 200 for example then 12 per set will get them to 192, leaving 8 episodes to be collected so instead of releasing a smaller set they'll just devide those episodes among other sets.

Also keep in mind that Goku (slongside others) will be the face in the 2020 Olimpics so there's no way they won't have an anime ongoing with it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:50 am

I wonder if the movie ends up being a re-telling of the Universe 6 Tournament?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if the movie ends up being a re-telling of the Universe 6 Tournament?
I doubt it, they made that mistake with One Piece, I don't think they'd be stupid enough to do it again.

If they want to make money then they need to come out with some new and interesting like the last two movies.