So is Tenshinhan using the Mafuba in the anime King Piccolo arc and surviving no longer a plothole thanks to Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So is Tenshinhan using the Mafuba in the anime King Piccolo arc and surviving no longer a plothole thanks to Super?

Post by precita » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 pm

In the manga version of the King Piccolo arc, Tenshinhan never actually uses the Mafuba. In the anime however Toei changed it and had Tenshinhan use it and he survived.

For years people considered this a plot hole, because Roshi died after he used it and it was said anyone who uses it would die 100%. It was also a change Toei made for the anime. However now in Super we've seen Future Trunks use it against Zamasu, and then Roshi use it TWICE in the TOP, and they both survived both times.

I guess this proves that Tenshinhan using it in Dragonball and surviving is no longer a plot hole. The only reason Roshi and his master died when they used it because their strength/power levels were so weak in the Dragonball era it drained all their life force out. Since Tenshinhan was already more powerful in Dragonball at that point, he was able to use it and survive.

So did Super solve a Toei plothole from Dragonball?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So is Tenshinhan using the Mafuba in the anime King Piccolo arc and surviving no longer a plothole thanks to Super?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:48 pm

I doubt it, as Tenshinhan back then wasn't all that much stronger than Roshi.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So is Tenshinhan using the Mafuba in the anime King Piccolo arc and surviving no longer a plothole thanks to Super?

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Personally I always interpreted it that the Mafuba only kills you if you're actually successful where you A) Are able to catch a being with it (thus why Tien didn't die when just practicing with it, which the manga also shows us) and B) Get to the part where you do the final swipe. Which... kinda makes sense... I guess...?

The other way the Mafuba might kill you is by, like with the Tri-Beam (forgot the original name), it knocks off some of your life-force. This would explain why Piccolo Jr. doesn't die using it on Kami in the 23rd WMAT.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I doubt it, as Tenshinhan back then wasn't all that much stronger than Roshi.
Tenshinhan was a lot stronger than Roshi at that point. It might not have been a considerable amount, but he definitely came across as far stronger given his feats with Goku in the finals.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:00 am

precita wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I doubt it, as Tenshinhan back then wasn't all that much stronger than Roshi.
Tenshinhan was a lot stronger than Roshi at that point. It might not have been a considerable amount, but he definitely came across as far stronger given his feats with Goku in the finals.
It was an insignificant difference compared to the strength of Future Trunks or ToP Roshi.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am

Lets not forget, both Mutaito and Roshi were old when they used the Mufuba and they are the only known characters that died using the Mufuba in the Anime & Manga. It could be very posseble that they died because the strain from using the technique was to much for their aged bodys to handle at their stage of Power they were. Back in 2000 when the TV Piccolo Arc was new here in Germany, my older Brother had a theory like that, where he wondered why Tenshinhan survived the Mafuba and came to the idea that he did because he was still young. In the tournament of power, Roshis old body is finally able to handle the Mafuba thanks to being stronger than he ever had been in the orignal story. But even then, the first use strained him so much that he almost died after using a max power Kamehame if Goku had not revived him. After using it two more times in the fight against frost its implied that he would die if he not drops out and eat a Senzubean. While it didn´t seem to give Future Trunks any ill effects outside of a little bit exhaustion.

So i would say that young People have an higher chance to survive the Mafuba.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 am

Wow, memories of that arc started flashing through my head. As if it was some kind of forgotten, lost thought for me.
El Conejo Malo