Dragon Ball content that is allowed in fan works? (rights talk)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dragon Ball content that is allowed in fan works? (rights talk)

Post by Desassina » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 am

How do we know which content is allowed to be used in posts, blog entries, websites, videos and editorials, when the company has the right to strike down its use? I'm merely asking how to use that content and how far it can be taken. Is there any rights disclaimer or copyright by the companies? Thanks in advance.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball content that is allowed in fan works? (rights talk)

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:59 am

I'm sure just general mention of character names or events from the manga/show are fine on your site/blog, but it's going to be actual images and videos from the shows that you will need permission for. I've never really known FUNimation as a company to strike down fans using their content on fansites as long as you're not directly linking to something on their corporate websites (like dragonballz.com) or doing something like say, streaming a dubbed episode of Dragon Ball Super for free that people would otherwise need to watch on TV of buy a home video release to watch.

tl/dr: as long as what you put on your site doesn't make FUNimation feel like you're taking money that could be ending up in their wallet, you're probably fine. A lot of Dragonball's enduring popularity is because of the internet and FUNi knows that.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball content that is allowed in fan works? (rights talk)

Post by Desassina » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Thank you. I appreciate it.