What makes a female actress appropriate to voice a male character?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What makes a female actress appropriate to voice a male character?

Post by Meshack » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:07 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:
Beerus-sama wrote:
Meshack wrote: That’s like saying give Trunks Vegeta’s voice actor and Marron No. 18’s voice actor to keep the connection
Trunks being Vegeta's son was supposed to be a surprise for the audience the first time.

...And I was going to say that this was maybe just a treat for the Son family, but then I remembered Tights ended up with Bulma's voice too. :P
Also Pan having Videl's voice actor, and Bra having Bulma's voice actor. There are more voices that adhere to the rule than exceptions to it.
You may have a point.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:55 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Usually female actresses are hired to voice young boys

Nancy Cartwright has voiced Bart Simpson, Christine Cavanaugh voiced Dexter, and Tara Strong has voiced Ben Tennyson/Timmy Turner. (I don't know who could voice Goku though)

With Masako Nozawa, she naturally grew into adult Goku.
Yeah, I really don't get why so many people think it's exclusively a Japanese thing. :think:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:

Nancy Cartwright has voiced Bart Simpson, Christine Cavanaugh voiced Dexter, and Tara Strong has voiced Ben Tennyson/Timmy Turner. (I don't know who could voice Goku though)

Yeah, I really don't get why so many people think it's exclusively a Japanese thing. :think:
I'm sure people are aware that women often voice children in western cartoons, It just never happens for adults or even teenagers. For example Yuri Lowenthal started voicing teenage Ben Tennyson when Alien Force started airing.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:

I'm sure people are aware that women often voice children in western cartoons, It just never happens for adults or even teenagers. For example Yuri Lowenthal started voicing teenage Ben Tennyson when Alien Force started airing.
I know a lot of people are aware of that, but I've seen more than enough people criticize Japanese anime for having women voice children. Just recently I saw someone say they loved the dub of some Megaman anime (I think the Battle Network one) because an adult male voices a young boy and they went on to question why they always have women in dubs and in Japan voice them. I've seen it elsewhere too.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:35 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:If we're talking about Nozawa here, I think the reason as to why even though her voice still fits for Goku even if it isn't the 'expected' voice based on Goku's appearance alone is because Goku isn't necessarily that masculine. He's very child-like. He doesn't really think of the consequences of his actions, he displays no shame towards things like getting naked or having to pee, and he's not good at being overly-formal and polite. Yeah, sure, he may have big muscles and punch people really hard, but his 'default' state is that of a child who never properly grew up and nobody thinks that's a bad thing. So Nozawa's higher-pitched voice that's associated with her roles as young male characters is actually kind of appropriate there.

And to touch on the other examples; Naruto still has some of that child-like innocence and idealism when he's grown up, Luffy has a lot of similar immature characteristics to Goku, Kurama is quite feminine design and personality-wise (which also applies to Kurapika in HxH), and Edward...I think that might have something to do with the whole fact that he's short. Even though he's the older brother, he's the shorter, hot-tempered, somewhat less-mature one, so he doesn't really feel like the expected older brother with the deep mature voice. Although all these actresses can pull that off.
Your new video on Nozawa's Goku pretty much summed it up perfectly. :)
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu