The Bardock manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ahill1
Regular

The Bardock manga

Post by ahill1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:31 pm

I'd like to ask, who was the Bardock manga's author again? Was it supervised by Akira Toriyama?

Also, by the same token, Goku was sent in the spaceship to the Earth when he was three years old in this mini manga. Does it contradict anything in the original manga?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The Bardock manga

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:42 am

ahill1 wrote:I'd like to ask, who was the Bardock manga's author again?
Ooishi Naho.
ahill1 wrote:Was it supervised by Akira Toriyama?
Yes.
ahill1 wrote:Also, by the same token, Goku was sent in the spaceship to the Earth when he was three years old in this mini manga.
Actually, that happened in Dragon Ball Minus, what you're apparently talking about is Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock.
ahill1 wrote:Does it contradict anything in the original manga?
In the original manga, no. It was never shown how old Goku was when he was sent to Earth there. But it does contradicts Dragon Ball Online... Guess it's a retcon then.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:08 am

Grimlock wrote:Actually, that happened in Dragon Ball Minus, what you're apparently talking about is Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock.
Oh yeah, you are right. I was misinformed then and got DB Minus [made by Toriyama] switched with Episode of Bardock. I am actually talking about DB Minus, made by AT, but just a small note on Episode of Bardock...
Grimlock wrote:Yes
From what I've read, Akira Toriyama didn't take part in its plot, it was entirely Ooishi Naho. Akira Toriyama merely made the designer for some characters, like the Pirate Chilled.

Now, regarding whether there's a contradiction introducced by Dragon Ball Minus [let's call it maybe a retcon]...
Grimlock wrote:In the original manga, no. It was never shown how old Goku was when he was sent to Earth there
Actually, Kame-Sen'nin stated Goku was a baby when he hit his head pretty hard and barely survived [used 'infant' in some translations], while in Dragon Ball Minus it was stated Goku spent three years in the tank, leading us to think Goku was at least three years old when sent to the Earth. Unless Kame-Sen'nin considers three years old a baby [or rather, Son Gohan does] or a three years old Saiyans does look like a baby [which hardly seems the case considering Goku doesn't seem baby-like from the little we saw from him], he should be younger original manga wise.

In the Dragon Ball Minus Bardock and Gine sent Goku to Earth so this latter could be safe from Freeza's clawns, whilst it was stated by Raditz in the original manga that Goku was sent to Earth merely by conquering reasons, in which he should be able to easily exterminate the Earthlings with the presence of the Moon. So it also smeels like a 'contradiction', or maybe a retcon towards the original purpose behind sending Kakarrot to Earth.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:14 am

We don’t know how Saiyans operate when dealing with babies. Maybe the baby is formed inside the incubator after coming out of the mother and is fully grown (an infant/baby) after three years of being inside, the equivalent of 9 months for us/Earthlings in-universe. Saiyans always have to fight so it wouldn’t make sense for female Saiyans to be out of the fight if they’re carrying a baby around. Toriyama or Toyotarou could easily explain this

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:00 pm

ahill1 wrote:From what I've read, Akira Toriyama didn't take part in its plot, it was entirely Ooishi Naho. Akira Toriyama merely made the designer for some characters, like the Pirate Chilled.
That's correct, Toriyama designed Chilled and the Plantians.
ahill1 wrote:Actually, Kame-Sen'nin stated Goku was a baby when he hit his head pretty hard and barely survived [used 'infant' in some translations], while in Dragon Ball Minus it was stated Goku spent three years in the tank, leading us to think Goku was at least three years old when sent to the Earth. Unless Kame-Sen'nin considers three years old a baby [or rather, Son Gohan does] or a three years old Saiyans does look like a baby [which hardly seems the case considering Goku doesn't seem baby-like from the little we saw from him], he should be younger original manga wise.

In the Dragon Ball Minus Bardock and Gine sent Goku to Earth so this latter could be safe from Freeza's clawns, whilst it was stated by Raditz in the original manga that Goku was sent to Earth merely by conquering reasons, in which he should be able to easily exterminate the Earthlings with the presence of the Moon. So it also smeels like a 'contradiction', or maybe a retcon towards the original purpose behind sending Kakarrot to Earth.
It's a retcon, not necessarily a contradiction. Planet Vegeta was also initially destroyed by a meteor. Only later was it retconned that Freeza destroyed it and the meteor was just a story they (remaining Saiyans) were led to believe. Raditz was probably led to believe that Goku was sent to Earth for a typical Saiyan purpose.

As for the whole baby/infant minutae, the original japanese terminology as stated in the manga probably is more in line with the latter, broader term.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Planet Vegeta was also initially destroyed by a meteor. Only later was it retconned that Freeza destroyed it and the meteor was just a story they (remaining Saiyans) were led to believe
This is actually less of a retcon and more of a plot twist, I'd say.
Luso Saiyan wrote:As for the whole baby/infant minutae, the original japanese terminology as stated in the manga probably is more in line with the latter, broader term.
I dunno what "infant" means specifically. Like child?

Anyway, the 1st time Kame-Sen'nin referenced Goku from when he was found by Son Gohan he used the terminology "child", but later (at least according to VIZ), he used "baby" to describe the little Saiyajin.

Meshack wrote:We don’t know how Saiyans operate when dealing with babies. Maybe the baby is formed inside the incubator after coming out of the mother and is fully grown (an infant/baby) after three years of being inside, the equivalent of 9 months for us/Earthlings in-universe. Saiyans always have to fight so it wouldn’t make sense for female Saiyans to be out of the fight if they’re carrying a baby around. Toriyama or Toyotarou could easily explain this
That's true, however Son Gohan was the one who described Goku as a baby, so what should be relevant is what he considers as a baby.

Can someone link the Daizenshuu official timeline? Maybe in there it says exactly when Goku was sent to Earth and when he was born (I sadly am not managing to find it).

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:45 pm

ahill1 wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:Planet Vegeta was also initially destroyed by a meteor. Only later was it retconned that Freeza destroyed it and the meteor was just a story they (remaining Saiyans) were led to believe
Luso Saiyan wrote:As for the whole baby/infant minutae, the original japanese terminology as stated in the manga probably is more in line with the latter, broader term.

Anyway, the 1st time Kame-Sen'nin referenced Goku from when he was found by Son Gohan he used the terminology "child", but later (at least according to VIZ), he used "baby" to describe the little Saiyajin.

Meshack wrote:We don’t know how Saiyans operate when dealing with babies. Maybe the baby is formed inside the incubator after coming out of the mother and is fully grown (an infant/baby) after three years of being inside, the equivalent of 9 months for us/Earthlings in-universe. Saiyans always have to fight so it wouldn’t make sense for female Saiyans to be out of the fight if they’re carrying a baby around. Toriyama or Toyotarou could easily explain this
That's true, however Son Gohan was the one who described Goku as a baby, so what should be relevant is what he considers as a baby.

Can someone link the Daizenshuu official timeline? Maybe in there it says exactly when Goku was sent to Earth and when he was born (I sadly am not managing to find it).
Gokuh was sent to the earth one month after Dragon Ball - (Age 737, the year Freeza destroyed Planet Vegeta) and landed on the earth in Age 739.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Meshack wrote:
ahill1 wrote:

Gokuh was sent to the earth one month after Dragon Ball - (Age 737, the year Freeza destroyed Planet Vegeta) and landed on the earth in Age 739.
Hmm, but does it mention when he was born?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm

ahill1 wrote:This is actually less of a retcon and more of a plot twist, I'd say.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.
ahill1 wrote:I dunno what "infant" means specifically. Like child?
A very young child or baby.