Would you consider Goku manly? If not who are the manly characters in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Would you consider Goku manly? If not who are the manly characters in Dragon Ball?

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Other than the big muscles which is commonly associated with manliness Is Goku manly? If not then who is?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Would you consider Goku manly? If not who are the manly characters in Dragon Ball?

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Gokû's just Gokû to me. He exists in that nebulous neutral ground. I don't think I could call his childish personality manly or masculine. Immaturity isn't exclusive after all.
Gokû's got plenty of badass moments too, but that's also not an exclusive trait.

Of the Z team, while they're not hyper 80's Fist of the North Star, I'd say Vegeta, Krillin, buu arc Gohan, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and Yajirobe.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Would you consider Goku manly? If not who are the manly characters in Dragon Ball?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Vegeta, Piccolo, Tenshinhan and Bardock
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:01 am

I would say he is manly, not the manliest but he's manly.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:50 am

Alpha's of DBZ : Broly, Bojack, Kogu

Beta males are : Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo

Goku is boyish, instead of manliness. But once he gets down to business (2-3 instances in Z) he becomes Alpha. Ex: Goku when he was about to rip Perfect Cell's fckin face off at point blank Kamehameha & as he warns Trunks to get Dragon Radar frm West City.

Those 2 instances showed Goku's manly side. Too bad, its rarely showed

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:17 am

Barring moments of comic relief, Goku is not "beta" in any instance. :lol:

Broly doesn't strike me as being alpha either, more like a very extreme instance of omega or sigma, depending on how you view his personality/moral outlook.
Last edited by Kuwabara on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:23 am

Kuwabara wrote:Barring moments of comic relief, Goku is not "beta" in any instance. :lol:

Broly doesn't strike me as an alpha either, more like an extreme omega.
What is an Omega?
Only heard of the alpha and beta types.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 am

As I understand it, omegas are extreme social outcasts or people that suffer from severe personality disorder(s). Broly fits the bill there.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:34 am

Kuwabara wrote:As I understand it, omegas are extreme social outcasts or people that suffer from severe personality disorder(s). Broly fits the bill there.
I see. I do wonder if there are personality types assigned to every greek letter now.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 am

I don't think so. Alpha, beta, gamma, delta, lambda, sigma, and omega are the letters I've personally seen attached to different personality types.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:24 am

Manliest character

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 am

I don't think Goku's that manly, he's pretty immature and childish in pretty much all aspects but his physical abilities and form.
Vegeta doesn't strike me as "manly" either, he's a massive prick who kills helpless opponents without hesitation and always whinges when there's someone out there stronger than him.
I guess Yamcha could be manly if he wasn't making such a goof out of himself all the time.
Tien Shinhan is the manliest Dragon Ball character though, no doubt about that.
As far as Piccolo goes, how can he be manly if his race doesn't even have gender? :P

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:38 am

It depends on what you consider "manly".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:58 pm

ABED wrote:It depends on what you consider "manly".

Courage, honour, loyalty, calm under pressure, assertiveness, consideration, humour, responsibility, reliability, are a few traits associated with manliness. Some also associate a large physique with manliness.

If you've ever watched/read fist of the north star, the protagonist Kenshiro has all of these qualities.

Goku has some of those but I wouldn't think of him as Considerate, responsible, or very loyal.

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Courage, honour, loyalty, calm under pressure, assertiveness, consideration, humour, responsibility, reliability, are a few traits associated with manliness
Those are traits that apply to both men and women. And since when was humor a trait that indicates "manliness"?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 pm

ABED wrote:
Courage, honour, loyalty, calm under pressure, assertiveness, consideration, humour, responsibility, reliability, are a few traits associated with manliness
Those are traits that apply to both men and women. And since when was humor a trait that indicates "manliness"?
Fine fuck it, I'm a sexist piece of shit.

Go ahead and lock the thread VegettoEX, I'm being to offensive.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:22 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
ABED wrote:
I think what the original poster means to say here is that the "manly" qualities listed are associated with the heroes of the genre. Obviously, any human can have these qualities, but in the Shonen/Wuxia/battle manga genre that DB fits into those are classic staples of the male action hero which are (somewhat unfortunately) less present in the women of that genre.
DragonBallKing wrote:Fine fuck it, I'm a sexist piece of shit.

Go ahead and lock the thread VegettoEX, I'm being to offensive.
I highly doubt ABED is accusing you of sexism here as I've learned from his posting style that he's generally interested in seeking a good discussion and doesn't intend to attack people.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:27 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
ABED wrote: Those are traits that apply to both men and women. And since when was humor a trait that indicates "manliness"?
I think what the original poster means to say here is that the "manly" qualities listed are associated with the heroes of the genre. Obviously, any human can have these qualities, but in the Shonen/Wuxia/battle manga genre that DB fits into those are classic staples of the male action hero which are (somewhat unfortunately) less present in the women of that genre.
Just throwing this out there: Wuxia has quite a large, dense, rich history of tremendously ass-kicking female action hero characters. Yang Hui-Zen, Golden Swallow, Huang Rong, Xiao Long Nu, the Snake Sisters, Nie Yinniang, Lian Nichang, Yau Mo-Yan, Lady Ko, and on and on and on... the list of female martial artists who play central or otherwise instrumental active fighting roles as powerhouse warriors throughout the genre is ridiculously vast and long, and stretches surprisingly far, faaaaar back into the genre's incredibly old history.

For example Yun Ko, one of the earliest main central protagonists in a Wuxia movie from the silent film era, was a woman fighter who, if it wasn't for her heavily supernatural fighting style, otherwise wouldn't at all be the least bit out of place in Kill Bill. Hell, Dongfang Bubai, one of the most iconic Wuxia characters of all time (and utterly feared by every other character in the Smiling, Proud Wanderer series for her fearsome, lethal powers in combat), is technically transgender, and has thus historically ALWAYS been played by a female actress to reflect her femininity.

The genre typically tends to attract a pretty heavy female audience for a reason: you've got a wide assortment of strong, well-defined and fleshed out women characters across a vast, dense array of Wuxia books, films, comics, and TV shows, doing just as much of the superpowered kung fu ass-kicking as the men, and given just as much dramatic weight and gravitas to boot (sometimes more so). Dragon Ball, if anything, is kind of unusual among much of the genre in terms of how much of a sausage-fest its roster of active warriors typically is and thus how male-centric its fanbase often tends to be seen as (though to be sure, I've certainly come across my fair share of female DB fans over the years, and there have definitely been a fairly good number on this very forum throughout its time).

That either might have something to do with DB being made by a guy coming at things from much more a Japanese cultural perspective (not that China is any better than the rest of the world and hasn't had plenty of its own sexism in general of course: the particular reasons for how and why Wuxia specifically has managed for so many long years to dance around even some of the most narrow-minded, knuckle-dragging prevailing attitudes on women and genders within its own native culture is a whole, whoooooooole other and much more complicated topic unto itself, and its not like Wuxia is somehow completely free of any other forms of sexism sometimes popping up in OTHER areas either), or with Toriyama it might just simply be how it ended up shaking out just because that's how it ended up shaking out.

Fist of the North Star's gender dynamics, meanwhile, are SO overwhelmingly male-dominated (enough to make Dragon Ball look INSANELY balanced by comparison) that it may as well be coming from a whole other planet, at least when it comes to that specific issue. Its to a point where unlike with Dragon Ball (where Toriyama otherwise tends to treat a lot of his other, non-superpowered fighter female characters so well that there's enough wiggle room there to give him at least the benefit of the doubt) with Fist its UNQUESTIONABLY deliberate and in NO way incidental, and I'm at least reasonably sure that Hara and Buronson have at some point or other acknowledged and addressed that matter in some interview or other (in short: they're two old-school Japanese dudes with old fashioned, long out of date views on women).

For a MUCH better idea of how most of the genre as a broader whole tends to treat a lot of its female characters that can be found within a Wuxia-based Japanese Shonen anime/manga, Genkai from Yu Yu Hakusho is an excellent example.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 am

Well outside of his Grandma voice he has in the Japanese version....yeah I guess so. He's a muscular, brave, martial artist who beats the shit out of people.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:40 am

The manliest character is Chi-Chi. She protec but she also attac.

All other characters beta incels smfh.