2 questions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

2 questions

Post by Goe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi mates!

I'd like to ask 2 questions:

1) I have read in somewhere that Toriyama has said that he created Freezer based in his own child-nightmares and 1990s land speculators. However, I haven't find a reliaable source. Could you send me reliable sources that confirm that Toriyama said that?
2) I Know that Yu Kondo didn't like A-19 and A-20 as main villains. Then, Toriyama created A-17 and A-18 but Kondo disliked them...so Cell was created (You can read this in Extras of DB Full Color Androids and Cell Saga Volume 6). However, I don't really now the whole influence of Kondo in DB Manga...could you send me a reliable source that show as all Kondo's ideas in DB Manga?

Thanks a lot, mates!!!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: 2 questions

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Hello! We indeed have much of this information on our website here at Kanzenshuu :).

Toriyama citing land sharks as an inspiration for Freeza comes from his interview in the second Daizenshuu, "Story Guide":
Akira Toriyama wrote:I came up with Freeza around the time of the Bubble, and the land shark was the worst person of all. So I made him the #1 land shark in the universe.
I don't know about this "nightmare" part off the top of my head. Perhaps different wording was used in whatever comment this is possibly based on?

We know comparatively little about Kondo's overall influence on the series when compared to someone like Torishima, who has been much more open and candid over the years. I would recommend checking out the Cell arc page of our "Intended Endings Guide" for a little curation of some of the more relevant items.

Kondo speaks a bit more in the interview from "Shenlong Times" that accompanies the first Daizenshuu.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks VegettoEX!

About nightmares, I have reading in some webs (most of them in spanish...or maybe all of them, I'm not sure) that Toriyama said that he created Freezer inspired in some nightmares he had when he was a child, but I haven't find any reliable source yet, so I guess is a hoax.

About Kondo, I watched a video that told us that if Dragon Ball until Piccolo's saga were more inocent and humorous than the story since saiyan saga was due to Kondo replacing Torishima. That video said too that Vegeta was Kondo's idea to attract female public...but I don't find that video reliable because it don't mention the sources and repeated the hoax that Toriyama wanted to end DB in Freezer saga but he was forced to continue. That's the reason because I asked about Kondo. You have said we know little about Kondo influence, so I guess that things are only rumors.

By the way, I see the guy who disliked A-19 and A-20, and later A-17 and A-18 was Torishima and not Kondo. I read about that in DBFC Android And Cell Saga Vol. 6 and I thought that guy was Kondo, but I have just read that guy was Torishima, even he wasn't his editor anymore. Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:29 am

About nightmares, I have reading in some webs (most of them in spanish...or maybe all of them, I'm not sure) that Toriyama said that he created Freezer inspired in some nightmares he had when he was a child, but I haven't find any reliable source yet, so I guess is a hoax.
I don't recall nightmares being mentioned, but I do remember reading somewhere that Freeza's forms were based on what Toriyama thought monsters would look like when he was a kid, or something along those lines. Not sure what the source is, though.