Does anyone else have a hard time switching back and forth between English and Japanese Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does anyone else have a hard time switching back and forth between English and Japanese Dragon Ball?

Post by jamiljamtheman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Yes and no, but mostly no for me.

It depends on what I am watching and what I am used to hearing from that thing. For example, I have currently only watched GT in English and am very familiar with it, and I mostly watch Super in Japanese. I plan on watching GT in Japanese soon, and I know that it will be....an adjustment, at first. I can get used to it quickly. Similarly, I was thrown off watching Goku's SSBKK in English on YouTube because I'm not as used to associating Super's imagery and Goku's screaming with the English actor as of recently.

So, its an adjustment, but I wouldn't call it a difficult one. Its just natural to "get used" to one thing or the other.

I can switch pretty easily with the Z movies because I have always found enjoyment in watching both for the differences between the versions of each film. :thumbup:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: Does anyone else have a hard time switching back and forth between English and Japanese Dragon Ball?

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm

It is a little jarring to go straight from Japanese to English (namely in the video games, as I still haven't yet properly watched the series all the way through in either language*), but it doesn't take long to get adjusted. I agree with what others have said in that it can be fun to directly compare the voices, especially to hear how some of the characters sound so similar in both languages.

*Before someone says something, yes, I'm planning on it!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Um, what? I've seen a lot of criticism for Schemmel on this site but this is the strangest. I see people throw out these type of comparisons all the time, what is this even supposed to mean?
It wasn't a criticism, I enjoy his tone!

Both Nozawa and Schemmel play Goku as younger than his years. Nozawa plays him like a child, Schemmel plays him sort of like a teenager.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Can't say I have an issue. Granted, I can switch between dubbed and subbed series fairly often (Ranma 1/2, Vandread, Dragon Ball Super). So, no issue there.

Next I plan on tackling RWBY in Japanese. See how the VAs Japan has take on the roles Rooster Teeth (mainly Monty Oum) created. Just for comparison's sake.