DB's ending

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: DB's ending

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 am

They should end where they were supposed to. If they're being continued beyond that point then there's clearly no intention to end them. What I LOVE about manga is that it's the story of one person and has a clear beginning and ending. Continuing them beyond that point with new creatores takes that special thing away from it.
Agreed, though I'm interested in what you mean by "supposed to."

I doubt Super's resurrection was a result of the relatively recent trend of reviving shows/movies long since thought to be over, but it is interesting timing. I haven't seen Super but given RoF, what I've read about Super, and the tendency of revivals to suck, I can't help but think it's a bad idea to revive series once they end. Even with the same people involved, sometimes you can't recapture the lightning in a bottle that made these shows special to begin with. I know everyone blames the suits, but it's not their fault that people want them. I'm also well aware of the irony of me making this statement as I watch many of these revivals regardless of quality.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 am

ABED wrote:I'm interested in what you mean by "supposed to."

Even with the same people involved, sometimes you can't recapture the lightning in a bottle that made these shows special to begin with.

I'm also well aware of the irony of me making this statement as I watch many of these revivals regardless of quality.
I mean when the author thinks it's time for them to end, in DB's case it was the Buu arc.

I read that creatores who leave something like this for so long and come back to it, they're not back as the creatores but as fans trying to guess what other fans want to see. That perfectly explains the choices made in Super.

Me too, I couldn't be happier about DB being back but at the same time I miss the days of it being a completed story with fans and the companies involved being able to move onto something else.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm

The story should end with Dragon Ball Online. Telling us what characters ended up doing in their lives. It's not an "open ending" like in Dragon Ball Z, but also
it's not a close ending as well. It's the perfect way to end Dragon Ball. Then anyone who wants to continue the story is able to do it based on what were told.

And with Goku and Vegeta leaving Earth to their final showdown. Telling us if Goku and Vegeta achieved their goal is just a plus, I don't think it's necessary but if they decide to make them achieve it, then it's okay.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:30 pm

I think they'll go down the traditional route that GT did and just do a fast forward 100 years to give a quick perspective of the new generation of fighters either battling in a world martial art tournament or easily taking care of a threat to the Earth, with Goku's spirit looking on in intrigue and pride.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:18 pm

If Super ends up passing EOZ, I would love to see a more Toriyama-esque take on the evil dragon arc and end shortly after that.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Grimlock wrote:The story should end with Dragon Ball Online. Telling us what characters ended up doing in their lives. It's not an "open ending" like in Dragon Ball Z, but also
it's not a close ending as well. It's the perfect way to end Dragon Ball. Then anyone who wants to continue the story is able to do it based on what were told.

And with Goku and Vegeta leaving Earth to their final showdown. Telling us if Goku and Vegeta achieved their goal is just a plus, I don't think it's necessary but if they decide to make them achieve it, then it's okay.
I totally agree with this, and plus, if after that Toei decides to continue the franchise with a new generation, it won't feel forced, as, if it happens when the majority of the current cast is dead, nobody would question how could anyone put the Earth/universe in danger.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 am

While the story of Dragon Ball is the story of the character of Goku, the story of the character of Goku is the story of a boy/man who spends his life fighting and learning to continuously succeed and pass his own limits.We saw Goku go from the protegee of Roshi to the strongest man on Earth, when he became the strongest man on Earth he left Earth to face the strongest fighter in the universe, when he defeated that fighter he went on to face a mad scientists creation of the perfect fighter, when his son defeated that all of a sudden a new ancient evil that was thought unbeatable appeared. Then the god of destruction came to Earth and Goku finally found a limit. When he started rivaling the gods the multiverse opened up.

There's always a new limit to be surpassed.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 am

BoG would have made a great ending in my opinion. Goku can't defeat this new opponent even with his ridiculous new power up, and finds out there are many people out there stronger than him. After all, that's always been one of the central themes of Dragon Ball. Maybe cap it off with him meeting his granddaughter for the first time.

A couple of young kids coming to train under old man Goku who has inherited Kame House, or something along those lines, might also work.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 pm

The story grew far beyond Goku (who's became one of the least interesting characters in the series actually) so hopefully, it would be a more universal ending tackling the core themes of the franchise rather than trying to make Goku look like the Wise and All Powerful Chosen Only One...

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 am

Basaku wrote:The story grew far beyond Goku (who's became one of the least interesting characters in the series actually) so hopefully, it would be a more universal ending tackling the core themes of the franchise rather than trying to make Goku look like the Wise and All Powerful Chosen Only One...
Did it really go beyond Goku? Out of 10 sagas in the original manga only the last two really went away from Goku. The Android arc where it was a giant tease for Goku vs Cell before a switch at the last minute, and the Boo arc where they kind of continued the next generation theme until going back to Goku as the hero midway through. Then every Super arc was Goku centric in some capacity as was GT. I don't think a portion of the Cell and Boo saga override everything else.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am

Basaku wrote:The story grew far beyond Goku (who's became one of the least interesting characters in the series actually) so hopefully, it would be a more universal ending tackling the core themes of the franchise rather than trying to make Goku look like the Wise and All Powerful Chosen Only One...
What do you consider the core themes of the story?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 pm

ABED wrote:
Being a responsible fighter and protector being one of them. Guess which character stopped fitting that role long time ago and is now all about selfish competition desire, universe be damned? :shifty:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Basaku wrote:
ABED wrote:
Being a responsible fighter and protector being one of them. Guess which character stopped fitting that role long time ago and is now all about selfish competition desire, universe be damned? :shifty:
When were those EVER the themes? It's like that's what you want them to be, and not what they actually are. Goku has always been this way. The only difference is the scope of the battles.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 am

ABED wrote:
Basaku wrote:
ABED wrote:What do you consider the core themes of the story?
When were those EVER the themes? It's like that's what you want them to be, and not what they actually are. Goku has always been this way. The only difference is the scope of the battles.
Oh you know, with Gohan throughout the whole series for example, Future Trunks, heck in EOZ itself Toriyama tries to make Goku care about it again at least a little bit leaving Earth in good hands of new protectors lol...

But it's like you make these thread just for confirmation bias of what you already percieve as the only valid (usually Goku-exclusive) interpretation of all things DB.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 am

Gohan isn't the protagonist, and he's only introduced 1/3 of the way through the series. It's about Goku, and his ethos was never about being a responsible fighter and a protector. Future Trunks is the closest thing to a Superhero, but it's not that kind of show. It's about martial artists who are out to become better martial artists. It's not about superheroes saving the world.
Last edited by ABED on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:44 am

Whoa whoa whoa.... Goku was always about looking to fight stronger guys. Always.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:53 pm

While the ending of the manga is fitting of Dragon Ball, I would like to see a flashier ending now that Dragon Ball is back with Super.
Goku having a last fight with Vegeta is a good way to end the series, in my opinion. Although, now that Freeza is back Goku's final fight could be against him as the final villain of the show.
Anyways, I would like to see Super ending with Goku being the strongest in the world. It's been his goal ever since the beginning, and it could be a great ending to finally see him reaching the top. With Super, Dragon Ball is more than ever the story of an underdog mortal surpassing even the Gods through persistance and hard work. Hopefully Toriyama will come with a new, better ending. It's not like the current ending of chapter 519 is bad, but I really, really want him to get after the end of Z and I'm curious to see if after all these years he can come up with a truly good ending, which wraps up Goku's story for good.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:41 pm

sintzu wrote:2- It could end with him passing the tourch to the "next generation" of fighters which is what Roshi did with him.
I'd love something like this.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:50 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
sintzu wrote:2- It could end with him passing the tourch to the "next generation" of fighters which is what Roshi did with him.
Roshi didn't "pass the torch", Goku took it. I know it's semantics, but "pass the torch" comes across as a passive action on the part of next generation, like they are receiving something. Goku didn't wait his turn. He pushed himself past the limits of his mentors. This may seem like splitting hairs, but I think it's very important to keep in mind.

I don't mind an ending where he takes on more of a mentor role, but more as a coda than an extended story where he's subservient to the next generation.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:04 pm

ABED wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:
Roshi didn't "pass the torch", Goku took it. I know it's semantics, but "pass the torch" comes across as a passive action on the part of next generation, like they are receiving something. Goku didn't wait his turn. He pushed himself past the limits of his mentors. This may seem like splitting hairs, but I think it's very important to keep in mind.

I don't mind an ending where he takes on more of a mentor role, but more as a coda than an extended story where he's subservient to the next generation.
I can recall an instance where Roshi stepped aside for the next generation to break through, at one of the martial arts tournaments.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.