How did Piccolo become such a popular character in North America?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How did Piccolo become such a popular character in North America?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Michsi wrote:For me, the whole arc is a joy from start to finish. Goku's first appearance as an adult,
-record scratch-

Okay I think I figured out one of the other reasons why I don't like the 23rd WMAT all that much. I prefer to watch Dragon Ball in English, and I love Nadolny's performance to death as she nails the uneducated but pure-hearted kid who makes up life one fight at a time. With that in mind, Sean Schemmel's vocal performance as Goku here SUCKS. I mean seriously, it's like he's pinched his nose and is giving a performance for Sesame Street when we first meet him. Going from the more maniacal Daimao voice that Jr has here to the more toned down Kai performance of the character is a bit of a jump, but Sonny Strait has a handle on Krillin by the time they dubbed this portion of Dragon Ball. But if there were any reason for Funimation to do a Kai-style redub of Dragon Ball, Sean's performance as Goku is it. It's woeful, and it deserves the much more nuanced take from Kai.

(on a side-note, the retainment of the rounder eyes and face for teenage Goku here helps make it much more convincing that the two are the same character, if that makes sense)
Michsi wrote:Yes, we had tournament arcs before, but this was the first time the fate of the world was at stake. And Piccolo himself was interesting to watch; his father had been such a larger than life character, but here was his offspring smugly playing along with the rules of the tournament. It showed he had a mischievous, playful side that his father hadn't had. I always wondered if even by the end he still cared about the rules as much as Goku did or if he had completely forgotten about it and didn't step out of bounds simply by accident, even as a giant.
The fact that the fate of the world is at stake in the first place for me breaks some of the format. The fact that Goku has been training years for the match with Jr. basically pre-determines all of the fights beforehand; we can see him making it to the finals from a mile away because A) He's been training for this specific fight so it'd made no sense if Tien were doing it, and B) Said training means that he far outstrips any of the competitors, in a way that wasn't present the last time around in the 22nd Tournament.

Knowing where Piccolo will be at the time of Raditz and Gohan's introduction, it again doesn't make much sense for me why Piccolo would specifically wait for the Tournament to kill Goku, especially since he doesn't know him at all. It makes more sense for later, since by then Piccolo has a warrior's respect for Goku as he saves a move designed to kill his opponent, but he doesn't have that from the outset so the logic doesn't work. One of the other aspects I forgot about last time too was the music selection. Kikuchi made some killer new themes for Daimao's introduction, but even halfway into that arc they were played so frequently that it becomes comical how much you hear the same trumpet themes over and over again. Kinda like how the earnest Upa/Bora theme becomes farcical by the time you hear it for the fifth time when Tao shows up. So it goes without saying that the continued use of the same Piccolo themes in the 23rd WMAT means that those tracks have transcended being grating and into something else entirely.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Piccolo is black and Vegeta is middle class white trump voters saiyan (white) pride! . Freeza is moneyed elite of ambiguous ethnicity and race who *really* run things.
Stop injecting modern politics into this story. It's a timeless story. Piccolo isn't an analogy for the black experience. He's the reincarnation of the king of demons who turned good. I don't think too many people can relate to that. And even DB was an analogy, it wouldn't be about American racial politics.

Goku didn't spare Vegeta or Piccolo because he thought they might be good. He spared them because he wanted to fight them later. He's explicit about this.

Good Lord Thank you! For the record I don’t care if anyone identifies or sees their own background in a character that is only natural

But trying to say this Japanese series from 80’s-90’s mirros our modern American political/racial climate is beyond ridiculous.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 pm

KBABZ wrote: *snip
Reading your post made me realize that it might not have been right for me to comment in this thread, since I didn't grow up in NA and I'm one of the fans who started with DB before moving on to DBZ. For me the progression was more natural, but I can imagine that for someone starting with DBZ and being mostly exposed to his cool and collected persona, seeing him as this cackling madman with a slasher smile might have been unpleasant.
I had the opportunity to watch DB with Funi Dub, but I can't really comment on the voice acting.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Michsi wrote:Reading your post made me realize that it might not have been right for me to comment in this thread, since I didn't grow up in NA and I'm one of the fans who started with DB before moving on to DBZ. For me the progression was more natural, but I can imagine that for someone starting with DBZ and being mostly exposed to his cool and collected persona, seeing him as this cackling madman with a slasher smile might have been unpleasant.
I had the opportunity to watch DB with Funi Dub, but I can't really comment on the voice acting.
No no don't go! More perspectives are always welcome.
As you're semi-alluding to, the origins of Piccolo weren't shown in any major fashion in America until the DB dub got to the Daimao stuff, and that aired during the Buu saga and therefore well after Piccolo had gone through his own arc, to the point where his more villainous angle early on does come off as Early Installment Weirdness. Compare to Vegeta, whose arc is shown from start to finish in Z rather than having the pre-Trunks stuff cut off, which is equivalent (sort of) to the point Piccolo is at when Z starts.

But don't get me wrong, my critiques above are not born out of "I see Piccolo as a good guy 'cause that's what I saw the most of". For me the critiques come from the interpretation of the character overall, specifically over whether Jr. is to be considered a different individual from Daimao, which is something the story itself flip-flops on. Personally, I see Jr. as his own individual because he has things like, for example, the capacity to even care about somebody in the first place. As Gohan recites to Jr in Kai, Goku sees Jr as more grumpy than evil.

So if you consider Jr as a new character (note that he doesn't have the same nose, which implies this), then his introduction in DB doesn't do a lot to establish his specific relationship with the other characters or how he might be different from Daimao (that wouldn't be done until Raditz). He feels like a carbon copy of his dad, and his dad doesn't seem like the type to wait until a Tournament to try and kill Goku; he's the literal incarnation of evil, why would he do that? Hence, my critiques in the last post.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 am

KBABZ wrote:
Michsi wrote:Reading your post made me realize that it might not have been right for me to comment in this thread, since I didn't grow up in NA and I'm one of the fans who started with DB before moving on to DBZ. For me the progression was more natural, but I can imagine that for someone starting with DBZ and being mostly exposed to his cool and collected persona, seeing him as this cackling madman with a slasher smile might have been unpleasant.
No no don't go! More perspectives are always welcome.
As you're semi-alluding to, the origins of Piccolo weren't shown in any major fashion in America until the DB dub got to the Daimao stuff, and that aired during the Buu saga and therefore well after Piccolo had gone through his own arc, to the point where his more villainous angle early on does come off as Early Installment Weirdness. Compare to Vegeta, whose arc is shown from start to finish in Z rather than having the pre-Trunks stuff cut off, which is equivalent (sort of) to the point Piccolo is at when Z starts.

But don't get me wrong, my critiques above are not born out of "I see Piccolo as a good guy 'cause that's what I saw the most of". For me the critiques come from the interpretation of the character overall, specifically over whether Jr. is to be considered a different individual from Daimao, which is something the story itself flip-flops on. Personally, I see Jr. as his own individual because he has things like, for example, the capacity to even care about somebody in the first place. As Gohan recites to Jr in Kai, Goku sees Jr as more grumpy than evil.

So if you consider Jr as a new character (note that he doesn't have the same nose, which implies this), then his introduction in DB doesn't do a lot to establish his specific relationship with the other characters or how he might be different from Daimao (that wouldn't be done until Raditz). He feels like a carbon copy of his dad, and his dad doesn't seem like the type to wait until a Tournament to try and kill Goku; he's the literal incarnation of evil, why would he do that? Hence, my critiques in the last post.
I think Piccolo being a different person from the original King Piccolo has always been fairly clear, and they made that distinction several times in the story. I've always said that the whole reincarnation thing was more something along the lines of passing down the title/position of Kami's evil counterpart. But if memory serves, Funimation was more ambiguous about the whole reincarnation thing, and even had both characters be voiced by the same person, making it seem like it was King Piccolo with a new face.
But as I said, he didn't strike me as a copy of his father until he started fighting Goku. There was this scene right after he defeats Krillin where he thinks he accidentally killed him and was about to be disqualified from the tournament, and he was actually annoyed that this "fun game" was over. Not to mention, if we're talking about the show and not the manga, his introduction was also odd which had him quasi save a little boy and his mother from a falling clock.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 pm

I've heard the "Piccolo is black" thing forever. What would lead to such a strange belief? Because he doesn't look like the majority of the cast? So what's to be said for the humanoid pig or cat or three-eyed guy or little doll-looking guy?

Call me naive, but Dragon Ball is a color-blind world in my opinion. All of these characters have zero problems interacting together and while there may be jabs at some of them (Bulma referring to Oolong as a pig or whatnot), it's not like any of the characters were made to feel out of place because of their physical appearance. Just look into the crowd at a World Martial Arts Tournament. Even Piccolo walks among everyday people without issue.

Anyway, why wouldn't Piccolo become a popular character? He was written very well until a certain point. There was a lot of time dedicated to showing him bonding with Gohan, which is where I think the first wave of "He's a cool character!" came from. Then, later on, Piccolo is shown to come back to lend a hand against Freeza, being a huge help. Finally, Piccolo fuses with God, sacrificing life as he knows it (well, not really apparently, but it seemed like a big deal to him) in order to save the world against the cyborgs.

Piccolo is selfless, strategic, helpful, and does not turn his back on anyone. Why in the hell would he be any less popular than anyone else?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 am

Michsi wrote:I think Piccolo being a different person from the original King Piccolo has always been fairly clear, and they made that distinction several times in the story. I've always said that the whole reincarnation thing was more something along the lines of passing down the title/position of Kami's evil counterpart. But if memory serves, Funimation was more ambiguous about the whole reincarnation thing, and even had both characters be voiced by the same person, making it seem like it was King Piccolo with a new face.
I think Jr. having the same voice actor makes sense (Nozawa gets away with it four times!), and it works fairly well if you go from DB Daimao to Kai Jr. In Kai, Sabat gives Jr. a more reserved tone of voice that's very different from the deeper and more maniacal take he did for Daimao, making the difference clearer.
Michsi wrote:But as I said, he didn't strike me as a copy of his father until he started fighting Goku. There was this scene right after he defeats Krillin where he thinks he accidentally killed him and was about to be disqualified from the tournament, and he was actually annoyed that this "fun game" was over. Not to mention, if we're talking about the show and not the manga, his introduction was also odd which had him quasi save a little boy and his mother from a falling clock.
Yeah the clock scene is weird, I ignore it almost every single time because it unnecessarily adds an air of mystery like "Is he good or evil?? : O"

I'm not sure if this is accurate to the manga, but there's a scene in Dub Kai Gohan says that Piccolo is now more grumpy than evil "ever since [he] was reborn", which implies that, at least to him, they're the same person. Which contributes to the flip-flopping I feel both works do on the subject.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 am

KBABZ wrote:
Michsi wrote:I think Piccolo being a different person from the original King Piccolo has always been fairly clear, and they made that distinction several times in the story. I've always said that the whole reincarnation thing was more something along the lines of passing down the title/position of Kami's evil counterpart. But if memory serves, Funimation was more ambiguous about the whole reincarnation thing, and even had both characters be voiced by the same person, making it seem like it was King Piccolo with a new face.
I think Jr. having the same voice actor makes sense (Nozawa gets away with it four times!), and it works fairly well if you go from DB Daimao to Kai Jr. In Kai, Sabat gives Jr. a more reserved tone of voice that's very different from the deeper and more maniacal take he did for Daimao, making the difference clearer.
Yeah, but in the Japanese version, they gave King Piccolo and Kami the same voice, which actually makes more sense if you think about. They're supposed to be identical because they actually were the same person.

KBABZ wrote: Yeah the clock scene is weird, I ignore it almost every single time because it unnecessarily adds an air of mystery like "Is he good or evil?? : O"

I'm not sure if this is accurate to the manga, but there's a scene in Dub Kai Gohan says that Piccolo is now more grumpy than evil "ever since [he] was reborn", which implies that, at least to him, they're the same person. Which contributes to the flip-flopping I feel both works do on the subject.
The clock scene probably was added because in the manga he was already turning good and I think they sorta wanted to foreshadow this in the show. Makes a little sense if you look at it like that, and it does add to the whole "he is not as evil as his dad" which Goku believed. Especially if you already know where it would lead later on, having watched Z beforehand.
As for the reincarnation bit, there is that scene where Gohan talks to him which was translated as "since you died and came back" which makes the whole thing a little iffy, but I believe the japanese term was just the reborn/reincarnated which they always used, but I'm not 100% sure on this. However, when he is about to fuse with Kami, the old guy does say something like "me and you, or more precisely, me and your father ...". So the distinction is a little more clear in that regard. Not to mention Toriyama makes the difference too, in interviews.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:41 am

Cool voice - Sabat
Fights even though the odds aren't in his favor
Smack talks in hilarious ways
Redemption story
Calm and collected for the most part

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 am

Michsi wrote:Yeah, but in the Japanese version, they gave King Piccolo and Kami the same voice, which actually makes more sense if you think about. They're supposed to be identical because they actually were the same person.
Totally right there. I wonder if Sabat has done/is able to do an old man's voice like that...?
Michsi wrote:The clock scene probably was added because in the manga he was already turning good and I think they sorta wanted to foreshadow this in the show. Makes a little sense if you look at it like that, and it does add to the whole "he is not as evil as his dad" which Goku believed. Especially if you already know where it would lead later on, having watched Z beforehand.
Ahh, forgot about the manga/anime offset! That does make sense, but in a way I like that Piccolo gradually changes and grows out of the shadow of his father and we learn more about him in that way. I think that's what makes the Gohan thing so compelling; that a character you expect to be pure evil grows to care about the young son of his archnemesis and gets over his evil attitude.

In a way I almost think Piccolo was semi-lying to himself about the whole world domination thing; he doesn't attempt to take over the Earth during the five-year timeskip despite having a move designed to kill Goku, and any time he says "I'm still going to take over the world!" it feels like he's trying to keep up appearances not just to his enemies but also to himself. When he has that brief relapse into that attitude after Cell shows up, it's almost like a teenager going "No I'm still emo, shut up!". (disclaimer though: I realize this is just a theory and isn't canon)
Michsi wrote:As for the reincarnation bit, there is that scene where Gohan talks to him which was translated as "since you died and came back" which makes the whole thing a little iffy, but I believe the japanese term was just the reborn/reincarnated which they always used, but I'm not 100% sure on this. However, when he is about to fuse with Kami, the old guy does say something like "me and you, or more precisely, me and your father ...". So the distinction is a little more clear in that regard. Not to mention Toriyama makes the difference too, in interviews.
Yeah. Maybe it's a sort of unmentioned, off-screen realization where the characters, Kami included, figure that Jr. is a different person from his father and alter their terminology to suit. Unlikely though, I don't think Toriyama's that deep.
Kokonoe wrote:Cool voice - Sabat
Fights even though the odds aren't in his favor
Smack talks in hilarious ways
Redemption story
Calm and collected for the most part
Don't forget cold as ice!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 am

KBABZ wrote: In a way I almost think Piccolo was semi-lying to himself about the whole world domination thing; he doesn't attempt to take over the Earth during the five-year timeskip despite having a move designed to kill Goku, and any time he says "I'm still going to take over the world!" it feels like he's trying to keep up appearances not just to his enemies but also to himself. When he has that brief relapse into that attitude after Cell shows up, it's almost like a teenager going "No I'm still emo, shut up!". (disclaimer though: I realize this is just a theory and isn't canon)
That is a very sensible conclusion to make IMO. I believe Toriyama stated that he decided Piccolo Jr would turn good from the moment he designed him, (because he thought he looked cool and wanted him to stick around or something like that) so in the author's mind the character was never that evil, even as he was drawing him as a villain. It's probably the reason why we never see Piccolo Jr. cross the line into heinous or cowardly the way his father did when he took Tenshinhan hostage. Also there's that line he tells Gohan about cursing his own fate, the way he does. It only later occurred to me that he might have been referring to that premonition regarding his own death at the hands of the saiyans, but I still think he was referring to his life in general. It always made me attribute a sense of melancholy to his character.
The relapse in the Cell saga was mostly just for show, Krillin says as much. He acted up and called himself the demon king probably because he knew he would never be able to do so again. It was most likely just meant to be the final hurrah for the demon king

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 am

Michsi wrote:The relapse in the Cell saga was mostly just for show, Krillin says as much. He acted up and called himself the demon king probably because he knew he would never be able to do so again. It was most likely just meant to be the final hurrah for the demon king
I almost attribute that to a sort of mid-life crisis. For whatever reason he felt the need to go back to his old ways and claims (he has been pretty much distracted from that goal ever since Raditz showed up; he died, came back, lived through Frieza, got warned of the Androids, and so on). He probably felt very outstripped considering the Androids had recently kicked his butt and now Cell shows up with warnings of becoming even more terrifying. Although by that point he's so far down the road of good that trying to backpedal is just awkward.

Piccolo cursing his fate sounds like he's venting his frustration over the bias that he "had" to be evil because nobody would let him be good (which is why he appreciates Gohan not treating him that way). Early on he's following his father's wishes, but I find it interesting that Daimao, in the dub and the ViZ manga at least, only tells Jr. to avenge his death, not to take over the world specifically. It probably explains why he initially works towards killing Goku specifically, which always came first before world domination (although to be fair Goku is easily the biggest roadblock to that goal).

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:37 am

KBABZ wrote:
Michsi wrote:The relapse in the Cell saga was mostly just for show, Krillin says as much. He acted up and called himself the demon king probably because he knew he would never be able to do so again. It was most likely just meant to be the final hurrah for the demon king
I almost attribute that to a sort of mid-life crisis. For whatever reason he felt the need to go back to his old ways and claims (he has been pretty much distracted from that goal ever since Raditz showed up; he died, came back, lived through Frieza, got warned of the Androids, and so on). He probably felt very outstripped considering the Androids had recently kicked his butt and now Cell shows up with warnings of becoming even more terrifying. Although by that point he's so far down the road of good that trying to backpedal is just awkward.

Piccolo cursing his fate sounds like he's venting his frustration over the bias that he "had" to be evil because nobody would let him be good (which is why he appreciates Gohan not treating him that way). Early on he's following his father's wishes, but I find it interesting that Daimao, in the dub and the ViZ manga at least, only tells Jr. to avenge his death, not to take over the world specifically. It probably explains why he initially works towards killing Goku specifically, which always came first before world domination (although to be fair Goku is easily the biggest roadblock to that goal).
It was not a mid-life crisis for sure,he had joined the z fighters officially on Namek.
He was having a tsundere moment since due to his pride he could not admit that he was going to do something(fusing with Kami) that he hated so much.
Also he did not know about Cell till he went to the lookout anyways.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 am

Whatever wrote:Also he did not know about Cell till he went to the lookout anyways.
Oops, I forgot about that!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:30 am

KBABZ wrote:But don't get me wrong, my critiques above are not born out of "I see Piccolo as a good guy 'cause that's what I saw the most of". For me the critiques come from the interpretation of the character overall, specifically over whether Jr. is to be considered a different individual from Daimao, which is something the story itself flip-flops on. Personally, I see Jr. as his own individual because he has things like, for example, the capacity to even care about somebody in the first place. As Gohan recites to Jr in Kai, Goku sees Jr as more grumpy than evil.

Hoo boy. There's a TON that's wrong with all of this. And unfortunately, its almost ENTIRELY due to the dub, which COMPLETELY eviscerates and guts everything to do with the more Eastern aspects of Piccolo's growth and evolution throughout the series.

Here's the thing: the original Japanese version (both anime and manga) make it pretty clear and explicit, for the most part, that Daimao and Ma Junior are indeed one and the same person.

By and large, Ma Junior is referred to as Daimao's "reincarnation" and "double". On RARE occasion (maybe once or twice at most), he's also referred to as his son. And that's because BOTH are technically true.

Effectively what Daimao did was, he gave birth to a son to act as a physical body and vessel for his spirit/essence/etc. and transferred all of that into him.

When Ma Junior awakens, he's STILL Daimao... mostly.

What changes is that he's no longer a mystical entity that wholly embodies the purely malevolent/wicked aspect of the Nameless Namekian's personality. By rebirthing himself as a mortal child, he now has a conscience and mortal soul of his own.

A long, long time ago... like maybe almost a decade ago now (and somehow, don't ask me how, I still remember this) we had a HUGE debate on this forum between dub and sub fans about how much ultimately the dub's altered dialogue hindered one's basic, fundamental understanding of the characters and story. One of the BIGGEST points raised was everything to do with Piccolo's transition from Daimao to Ma Junior where a LOT was done by the dub to COMPLETELY and radically alter what was originally said (examples that even a lot of sub fans almost NEVER think to point to when talking about how much the dub totally guts the original story of its nuance and Eastern roots).

There's a crucial, critical scene in the Saiya-jin arc where Kami and Popo discuss what's happening to Piccolo. In the Japanese version, Kami goes into a ton of detail explaining that as Daimao, Piccolo was once considered a demonic entity by the spiritual laws that govern Dragon Ball's universe. As in real life Eastern mythology (Buddhism, Shintoism, Taoism, etc.) and in most Wuxia lore, when a human is murdered by a demon, their spirit cannot be reincarnated or return to the afterlife. Rather, they are left to wander the Earth lost and in torment, trapped in a sort of aimless limbo.

When Piccolo killed Raditz however, that didn't happen. Raditz showed up on Enma's doorstep in the afterlife. Meaning that once Daimao reincarnated himself, he was still Daimao... but no longer considered a demon anymore. Because by making himself born again, he's now a mortal and is no longer an epitomization of evil. Now he has a conscience and the capacity to learn goodness and to change.

And this happens SLOWLY. Its not an instant switch.

When he first comes back, he DOES want revenge on Goku and wants to kill him. But yeah, he comes at Goku through a tournament. Because he's no longer pure rage and id like he was before: he's mortal, he has a soul, he has more nuance, and he has more patience now. He hides his identity, and he tries to go about his revenge less directly than before.

Nonetheless, once he starts fighting Goku and tastes some blood, it doesn't take much for him to start cutting loose with his power and no longer give much of a crap about the tournament and about concealing his identity (he even gives the crowd at the tournament a big speech about how he is indeed Daimao and he's back to rule over them and reign terror once more). But the change has indeed already started.

And it continues when he decides to ally with Goku against Raditz. And again when he takes on Gohan as a student and forms his first ever genuine friendship with him. That's what ultimately seals it and finally brings him to the point where he understands compassion for others and thus reforms.

There's another critical scene even later on during the Cell/Artificial Humans arc. Before Piccolo goes off to find Kami and remerge (where he again changes drastically, and becomes really the original Nameless Namekian, whole again, for the first time in centuries). Before Piccolo storms off to find Kami, he listens to Kuririn give a speech about how much Piccolo has changed and how they've been friends now for some time. The small bit of the old Daimao left inside of him balks at this, and reminds everyone there that he's still the Great Demon King, and he's just been biding his time to kill them all and conquer humanity once more.

But of course that isn't the case: its crept up on him slowly, and Kuririn just happened to drive it home (causing the last several years to suddenly dawn on him, making him snap back): he's changed a LOT over the years, and now he's finding himself more and more drawn back full circle to where it all began for him... his other half, Kami.

Because yeah, as Piccolo himself states repeatedly, once he and Kami merge he is - as he famously says - "No longer Kami or Piccolo. Just a Namekian who long ago forgot his name."

You can only get the original Namekian son of Katatsu by recombining the two beings he split into: God and The Devil.

The Piccolo of the 23rd Budokai, Saiya-jin, Freeza, and early Artificial Human arcs is indeed the Devil Half we first met in the Daimao arc. Its in his logo on Gohan's gi (Daimao's kanji crest), its in the names of all his attacks, he refers to himself REPEATEDLY as "Piccolo Daimao reborn". Its a LOT less "fuzzy" in the Japanese version than it is in the dub, where they feel the need to constantly tapdance awkwardly and haphazardly around the more spiritual/Eastern mythological aspects of the series (note how they can't even ever ONCE bring themselves to name, acknowledge, or even explain at any point the concept of Ki outiside of the video games and I think maybe Kai: which is KIND OF important in this series; and also not ONE of the MANY god characters in the series is ever ONCE acknowledged as such until fucking Beerus only stupidly recently): Piccolo's Daimao and Ma Junior are one and the same person, albeit altered by taking a demonic entity and giving him a mortal soul and will/conscience.

Why else would the spiritual bond between Kami and Piccolo (the bond which denotes them as being two halves of the same person) still remain undisturbed if Daimao were gone and Piccolo were just some other dude that Daimao had spat out? Why else would he become the original nameless child of Katatsu if only ONE HALF of Katatsu's son were still kicking around and decided to merge with some random guy? Why else would he get so pissed off when Kuririn specifically states how different he's become since his Daimao days, to the point of going on another Daimao "I'm gonna kill everyone and take over the world again!" rant (Kuririn even does it again in the Boo saga, where he once more blatantly spells out that Piccolo used to be Daimao the Demon King and killed a fuckton of people way back when: GT also acknowledges it during the Super 17 arc when Piccolo gets himself sent back to Hell)?

NONE OF THIS would make even the tiniest bit of sense if Ma Junior were a different person from Daimao. They're the same character. He just gets put through a metaphysical spincycle that cleanses the pure wickedness from him when he reincarnates himself into a new form. The Japanese dialogue makes all of this VERY apparent and not all that ambiguous.

What muddies the waters is the fact that most U.S./English speaking fans still tend to go off of the dub, and the dub goes VERY far out of its way to NEVER mention almost ANY of this, whereas the Japanese version does. Almost EVERY scene I mentioned here, from the Kami & Popo talk post-Raditz, to both of Kuririn's various little speeches about Piccolo, to plenty of other scenes where Piccolo himself talks about it... in almost EVERY case, the dub RADICALLY alters the dialogue (almost 100% from the ground up) in order to make all of these details EXTREMELY vague and unspecific. And this change was NOT accidental: it was a VERY purposeful, consistent change made to de-Eastern and de-mystify Dragon Ball into something much more secular and Western.

Again, Ma Junior and Daimao are UNQUESTIONABLY and UNAMBIGUOUSLY depicted as being ONE AND THE SAME CHARACTER in the original Japanese version of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and even Dragon Ball GT. Its only when the FUNimation dub mandated that NO Eastern religious concepts (reincarnation, Eastern folklore on demons and spirituality, Eastern gods and what their function is, etc.) be mentioned or illustrated in the series were steps taken to scrub clean ALL of those allusions from the mouths of any and all characters who ever speak of it.

This applies to everything from the characters' supernatural martial arts abilities (to the point that I famously had to make an entire fucking thread detailing how and why these powers are still in fact martial arts abilities) to the deistic nature of a large chunk of the supporting cast, to what the afterlife itself actually was (at least for awhile there in the earlier days)... and yes, also to the backstory and development of one of the most centrally important characters in the whole series (Piccolo).

Among the lasting damage that the dub has done to Dragon Ball among Western fans is the lengths, both blatant and insidiously subtle, that it has typically gone to in order to remove any and all aspects that betray its Eastern mythological nature and origins. To the point where, even more than 20 years later and in a day and age where EVERYTHING is freely available to look up easily online, the vast majority of fans are still completely and utterly in the dark about this, and it leads to all kinds of grossly and stunningly basic misinterpretations and flat out incorrect assumptions about some fundamental facts about what the series is and how its characters and plot ideas work.

Piccolo is very much the same character we first met on Pilaf's airship in the Daimao arc all the way up through the Boo arc, GT, and now Super: one who goes through DRAMATIC changes that are heavily steeped in Buddhist and Shinto folklore. The same sort of Eastern religious mythology that both Dragon Ball and Wuxia as a whole is directly rooted deep within.

There's nothing the least bit "inconsistent" about Piccolo's behavior and attitude from the 23rd Budokai and onward. Its one of the best seeded and executed bits of character growth and progression we get in the series (from a guy who's famous for mostly winging it no less). Its just all hinged and predicated upon a ton of religious and spiritual concepts from Eastern folklore that the English dub took great pains to ignore and whitewash, and that its audience is almost universally ignorant of. Thus it often tends to go unnoticed and uncommented upon, even among sections of the fanbase who get as deep into the weeds of the finer details as this one here does.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 am

MAN DID I MISS KUNZAIT'S LOOOONG POSTS! And this one is so interesting to me I read it like a hot knife cuts butter!

I doubt any of the mistranslations are on purpose, remember before Steve Simmons came along they had shitty translators and writers. Accuracy was scarce and then there's pressure to keep the dub consistent so they had to abide by the mistranslations because people wouldnt like them or whatever. But if Funimation had to dub DB and DBZ they would do a much better job portraying these facts you mentioned.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:47 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: snip.
I don't think the reincarnation bit is as clear cut as that. While I do believe Piccolo Jr. does contain the essence of King Piccolo, I also believe they are not one and the same person. I mean, we see King Piccolo retain consciousness and call him son right after he spits him out and right before he explodes. They use father/son way too often when referring to each other for me to think only the appearance is a difference. Kami makes a difference between Piccolo Jr. and his father right before they fuse. So does Toriyama in interviews. It's kinda complicated.

Another example of a story that heavily uses the reincarnation theme, and Japanese folklore in general, is Inuyasha. Kagome is Kikyo's reincarnation, but the story makes it a point to show that they are not the same person.

Edit: also, I think there is even an old game which has a scenario with Piccolo Jr. and King Piccolo meeting and has them fuse to be 100% complete or something like that. Don't think they would've written a plot like that if it was so obvious to the Japanese audience that they are one and the same.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:00 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I doubt any of the mistranslations are on purpose, remember before Steve Simmons came along they had shitty translators and writers. Accuracy was scarce and then there's pressure to keep the dub consistent so they had to abide by the mistranslations because people wouldnt like them or whatever. But if Funimation had to dub DB and DBZ they would do a much better job portraying these facts you mentioned.
I point this out as deliberate due to how CONSISTENT this was. One of FUNimation's hallmarks with their lousy Dragon Ball translations is how inconsistent it almost always is. VERY seldom are certain scripting choices consistently adhered to, due to the scriptwrites just carelessly flailing about from one episode to the next doing whatever they like with little rhyme or reason.

A RARE example of consistency though is how painstakingly most any blatant mention of Eastern concepts is eradicated from the scripts: its SO unusually consistent and in certain scenes the dub's dialogue goes SO over the top out of its way to be as drastic and stark a departure from the original as possible (most scenes explaining the Daimao/Ma Junior/Kami relationship being some of the most glaring instances, but there are others too), that it cannot help but scream that it was a purposeful creative decision.

And I'm fairly sure there was even an interview or two way far back in the past (during the early days of the dub) where someone from FUNi's end of things more or less stated that there was a deliberate effort to sap the Eastern references from the series. This is going back a LONG time ago so I don't really remember who the interview was with, but it was probably with Watson or one of the Fukanagas.
Michsi wrote:
I don't think the reincarnation bit is as clear cut as that. While I do believe Piccolo Jr. does contain the essence of King Piccolo, I also believe they are not one and the same person. I mean, we see King Piccolo retain consciousness and call him son right after he spits him out and right before he explodes. They use father/son way too often when referring to each other for me to think only the appearance is a difference. Kami makes a difference between Piccolo Jr. and his father right before they fuse. So does Toriyama in interviews. It's kinda complicated.

Another example of a story that heavily uses the reincarnation theme, and Japanese folklore in general, is Inuyasha. Kagome is Kikyo's reincarnation, but the story makes it a point to show that they are not the same person.
You're right in that its a bit more complicated. I didn't mean to make it sound like there isn't an element of truth to BOTH Piccolo being the son of Daimao as well as Daimao himself. Just that you cannot discount the degree to which Daimao still remains a part of him throughout most of his time in the series.

In all honesty though, they really aren't referred to in-series as father/son quite as often as they are referred to as "Daimao reborn/reincarnated". Really, in most of the most important scenes where Piccolo's past is brought up, he is directly referred to as Daimao and as being responsible for Daimao's actions.

Daimao calls the baby in the egg his son because he just right then gave birth to him: he also states how he's giving the boy all of his memories, personality, and essence in order that he can live on through him. Kami talks about how much Piccolo has changed over the course of the series up to that point: the "difference" he notes is in that of his ways and his behavior (which has evolved a ton up till then) as well as prior to that in the Saiya-jin arc in how the spirit world no longer treats him as a demon (directly overlapping his actions with those of his "father" as being from the same person), not that he's a TOTALLY new, unrelated person to Daimao.

Again, he is BOTH Daimao's son AND Daimao himself, simultaneously. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Michsi wrote:

You're right in that its a bit more complicated. I didn't mean to make it sound like there isn't an element of truth to BOTH Piccolo being the son of Daimao as well as Daimao himself. Just that you cannot discount the degree to which Daimao still remains a part of him throughout most of his time in the series.

In all honesty though, they really aren't referred to in-series as father/son quite as often as they are referred to as "Daimao reborn/reincarnated". Really, in most of the most important scenes where Piccolo's past is brought up, he is directly referred to as Daimao and as being responsible for Daimao's actions.

Daimao calls the baby in the egg his son because he just right then gave birth to him: he also states how he's giving the boy all of his memories, personality, and essence in order that he can live on through him. Kami talks about how much Piccolo has changed over the course of the series up to that point: the "difference" he notes is in that of his ways and his behavior (which has evolved a ton up till then) as well as prior to that in the Saiya-jin arc in how the spirit world no longer treats him as a demon (directly overlapping his actions with those of his "father" as being from the same person), not that he's a TOTALLY new, unrelated person to Daimao.

Again, he is BOTH Daimao's son AND Daimao himself, simultaneously. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
I've said this before, and the way I interpret it - and it is nothing more than a personal interpretation - is that 'Daimaou'/'Demon King' is more or less a title or position that Piccolo Jr. inherits along side his fathers memories and essence.

My issue with the Funi Dub of DB is that they made it seem like they really were just one character. I think they even had Piccolo Jr. talk exclusively like it really had been him Goku had fought three years prior. At least that's what I remember.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:28 am

Michsi wrote:I've said this before, and the way I interpret it - and it is nothing more than a personal interpretation - is that 'Daimaou'/'Demon King' is more or less a title or position that Piccolo Jr. inherits along side his fathers memories and essence.
Again: after Raditz is killed, Kami tells Popo that when Piccolo (as Daimao) used to kill people, their souls would be trapped in limbo. Now when he kills, as with Raditz, their souls go to the afterlife. He is directly comparing and contrasting what happens when Piccolo used to kill people before with what happens when he kills them now. "He is no longer the Daimao of old." If he were truly 100% a totally different character from the outset, this fact would go without saying and not need to warrant a comparison. And that's just one example. Again, other characters (notably Kuririn, on multiple occasions) equate the actions of Daimao with the Ma Junior incarnation of Piccolo. Piccolo himself calls himself Piccolo Daimao not as a title, but in direct reference to his crimes and actions in the past.

Plus if he weren't Daimao, then the connection between him and Kami would no longer exist, and Kami would be just as dead as Daimao. Not only that, but once they fuse, he wouldn't be the "Namekian who long ago forgot his name", as that guy was made up of two spiritual beings: Kami and Daimao. Thus it is Daimao, albeit in a new form, who travels back to the Heavenly Temple during the Cell arc and merges back with Kami, his other half, bringing the original son of Katatsu back as a whole being.

Put simply: the physical form is that of Daimao's son, but the spirit inside it is a mixture of Daimao himself and whatever mortal components of his son remains.

Thus, he's both Daimao as well as the son of Daimao. Its a little of column A and a little of column B. He is the same, but changed.
Michsi wrote:My issue with the Funi Dub of DB is that they made it seem like they really were just one character. I think they even had Piccolo Jr. talk exclusively like it really had been him Goku had fought three years prior. At least that's what I remember.
That's not AT ALL how I remember the dub handling it. The dub more times than not TOTALLY side-steps the issue: most scenes where characters talk about Daimao and Ma Junior's relationship in the Japanese version, the dub will just have the characters in that scene talking about some other nonsense that's TOTALLY unrelated. Whenever the dub DID talk about them (which wasn't often), they seemed to just quickly dismiss Ma Junior as being the son of Daimao and that's that.

If there's a bit in the dub where they do acknowledge that Ma Junior and Daimao are the same, I certainly don't remember it at all. If someone here does remember it specifically, by all means feel free to chime in.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread