Dragon Ball Franchise Outperforms Gundam This Year

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball Franchise Outperforms Gundam This Year

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Bandai Namco Holdings released on Tuesday its financial balance sheet for the second quarter of the current fiscal year ending on March 31, 2018. The report included a breakdown of the overall sales for Bandai Namco's franchises, showing that Bandai Namco's Dragon Ball IP outperformed its Mobile Suit Gundam IP in terms of overall sales for the first half of the fiscal year (April 4 to September 30). The full list is as follows:

Dragon Ball: 43.1 billion yen
Mobile Suit Gundam: 32.7 billion yen
One Piece: 14.4 billion yen
Super Sentai/Power Rangers: 10.2 billion yen
Kamen Rider: 9.8 billion yen
Anpanman: 4.7 billion yen
Naruto: 5.4 billion yen
Precure: 3.8 billion yen
Yo-kai Watch: 2.1 billion yen
Ultraman: 3.1 billion yen

Bandai Namco predicts that Dragon Ball will earn 75.7 billion yen and Mobile Suit Gundam will earn 70.9 billion yen total for the full fiscal year.

For the same period last year, Mobile Suit Gundam sold 36.2 billion yen compared to Dragon Ball's 19.8 billion yen. Mobile Suit Gundam also outperformed Dragon Ball by 21% for the full fiscal year.

In terms of domestic toy and hobby sales alone, both Mobile Suit Gundam and Kamen Rider topped Dragon Ball this year and last year. The results for domestic toy and hobby sales for the first half of the fiscal year are as follows:

Mobile Suit Gundam: 11 billion yen
Kamen Rider: 9.4 billion yen
Dragon Ball: 5.9 billion yen
Super Sentai/Power Rangers: 4.9 billion yen
Anpanman: 4.7 billion yen
Precure: 3.8 billion yen
Yo-kai Watch: 2.0 billion yen
Ultraman: 2.2 billion yen
One Piece: 1.8 billion yen
Pokémon: 2.2 billion yen

Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ar/.123715

Forget beating One Piece, beating the top dog Gundam is the real milestone! :thumbup:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Franchise Outperforms Gundam This Year

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 pm

I think it's safe to say Super (or at least some form of it) is here to stay for the foreseeable future. There's no way they're ending it just yet with those kind of numbers.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 pm

So, I guess before long every model kit hobbyist in Japan will be building the Dragon Ball Figurerise model kits instead of Gunpla. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I think it's safe to say Super (or at least some form of it) is here to stay for the foreseeable future. There's no way they're ending it just yet with those kind of numbers.
This again.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:14 am

What again? What do you mean?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:19 am

It wasn't too long ago that people were saying DBs time was over and it never would've gotten big if it was released today.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:So, I guess before long every model kit hobbyist in Japan will be building the Dragon Ball Figurerise model kits instead of Gunpla. :lol:
They will start building Toribots. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Yeah Super is not going anywhere. As long if Super is making money, Toei will milk it to the ground.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:So, I guess before long every model kit hobbyist in Japan will be building the Dragon Ball Figurerise model kits instead of Gunpla. :lol:
Woot woot, I've certainly complied with that! The Bandai hobby shop, which makes the Gunpla models, is releasing a line of Dragon Ball models, and I've already bought and built one. If this series continues it could outsell Gunpla models if Dragon Ball continues at this rate of popularity.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:What again? What do you mean?
He's agreeing with Gyt Kaliba.