Things you adore and appreciate

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Things you adore and appreciate

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I adore how cool Nozawa sounds when Goku is in Ultra Instinct, not just voice but the roar effect during screams. :o
the roar just blends with Nozawa's voice so perfectly.
DragonBallFoodie wrote:There’s quite a lot I admire and appreciate in the DB saga.

I enjoy how a charming fantasy comedy wuxia tale became one of the most influential and iconic anime stories in history.

I enjoy the overall loose and easygoing tone of the story. Its lack of rigid rules enables a fantasy world/universe where all sorts of beings can exist together (talking animals, aliens, androids, angels, demons) and any kind of adventure can happen. While Toriyama couldn’t stop the characters evolving (Goku and Bulma eventually grew up and got their own families) and he was eventually overcome by the rising power scale, he was able to maintain the tone and keep it up as long as possible.

I enjoy and appreciate the overall humorous tone of the story. Characters are named after objects, everyone acts goofy at some point, and certain situations are based on famous film/TV scenarios (Journey to the West, Superman, Terminator, etc). It’s clear that Toriyama’s experience as a gag artist helped him a great deal to find a way to use a situation’s conventions and twist them around for surprise – while a few situations are a source of great discussion and debate which may have just been done for a joke/surprise, they still add to the appeal and fascination of the saga.

I enjoy how simple but appealing the artwork is, and its unique emotional empathy. Everything looks cartoonish and laidback, then when things get hardcore the art switches to become intense and tough, I hope that makes sense.

I enjoy how quirky and appealing the characters are – Goku is an wonderful character IMO. He is both man and child, both alien being and a mythological being (he was based on the Monkey King), and despite being a grandfather at DBS he is still a fun character and a great shonen protagonist. All the characters, both heroes and villains, have their fun enjoyable moments (the villains especially, the Ginyu with their poses, Frieza and his banter, Vegeta and his pride) which makes them memorable and fun to see.

I enjoy both the Japanese/English voice casts, who adds something unique to their version of the DB character.

I enjoy the theme tracks the saga has created (Rock the Dragon, Hero Flow, Mystic Adventure, Romantikku Agero Yo, Cha-La Head Cha-La, Boogie Back, Limit Break X Survivor)

The link below explains in a better form the things I admire/appreciate about DB.
h[url]ttps://www.animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2011-03-10[/url]
agreed with your points but also the article you linked is awesome.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:15 am

Krillin is often treated as the weakling or the butt of the joke, but I adore it whenever the series drops the act and reminds us just how strong the little underdog actually is. Not so much strength in ability (though that's cool too), but strength in character. The way he took charge on Namek, that he stood up to and outwitted stronger foes like Nappa and 2nd form Freeza, even his futile attempts on Cell and Buu. It warms my cockles to see him get his due. I also adore that Super devoted episodes to explore how being constantly outmatched affected his psyche and how he learned to rise above it. The payoff was ultimately an anticlimax, but the character work was unexpectedly deep and made me realise just how much I needed it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 am

I really appreciate the scale of the original manga's stories. There was so much going on in each arc and a lot of build up to each's final. Also Toriyama's art, writing and character designs are really well done and keep me interested every time I rewatch the original 2 anime even though I've seen them countless times.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 am

Color chapters were always such a cool thing to see, sad we got less as time went on. But like the full colors parts have always been super nice to look at.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:36 am

Kataphrut wrote:Krillin is often treated as the weakling or the butt of the joke, but I adore it whenever the series drops the act and reminds us just how strong the little underdog actually is. Not so much strength in ability (though that's cool too), but strength in character. The way he took charge on Namek, that he stood up to and outwitted stronger foes like Nappa and 2nd form Freeza, even his futile attempts on Cell and Buu. It warms my cockles to see him get his due. I also adore that Super devoted episodes to explore how being constantly outmatched affected his psyche and how he learned to rise above it. The payoff was ultimately an anticlimax, but the character work was unexpectedly deep and made me realise just how much I needed it.
This is one thing i appreciate about z,krillin role was really good.
Mostly active on discord.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:03 am

The gr wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Krillin is often treated as the weakling or the butt of the joke, but I adore it whenever the series drops the act and reminds us just how strong the little underdog actually is. Not so much strength in ability (though that's cool too), but strength in character. The way he took charge on Namek, that he stood up to and outwitted stronger foes like Nappa and 2nd form Freeza, even his futile attempts on Cell and Buu. It warms my cockles to see him get his due. I also adore that Super devoted episodes to explore how being constantly outmatched affected his psyche and how he learned to rise above it. The payoff was ultimately an anticlimax, but the character work was unexpectedly deep and made me realise just how much I needed it.
This is one thing i appreciate about z,krillin role was really good.
The hunt for the DB's allows for characters to contribute because it's not about who's stronger than whom.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm

I appreciate the fact that we can have actual discussion on this site, unlike MyAnimeList in which 90% of replies in a thread are sarcastic and trolly. I suppose it doesn't help that most threads on that site involve either hentai or ecchi.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Please do not disparage other communities or groups of fans.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Cipher wrote:Toriyama threatening to walk if he couldn't age Goku into adulthood is one of my favorite behind-the-scenes anecdotes related to the series, and an attitude I think is very much reflected throughout the end product.
I can't believe I forgot about this. If it weren't for this attitude then the original and everything it inspired would've turned out very differently. Him fighting to get his way which went against trends back in the day shows that Toriyama cared about DB and it was more than just a job to him or otherwise he wouldn't have tired himself and instead would've just given the suits what they wanted.

Most of the Shonen tropes that are so popular with the genre started with DB thanks to Toriyama fighting to get his way but had those suites got their way, the Shonen genre might've ended up a lot smaller than it is today.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 pm

DBGT in general, I'm glad that it was made because it sure is an unique approach to continue past EoZ:

Pan's character and that she was a normal girl who we could see develop on-screen. I'm pretty sure that if we were to get a teenage Pan in Super, they'd have her turn like SSJ3 at the age of 10 for figure sales, but give her barely any actual personality.

Goku becoming a kid added to GT's charm. It's such a bizarre choice but I enjoyed it again because of his chemistry with Pan. It wouldn't work that well with adult Goku.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:44 am

Xeogran wrote:DBGT in general, I'm glad that it was made because it sure is an unique approach to continue past EoZ:

Pan's character and that she was a normal girl who we could see develop on-screen. I'm pretty sure that if we were to get a teenage Pan in Super, they'd have her turn like SSJ3 at the age of 10 for figure sales, but give her barely any actual personality.
Although it was sad to see the kid we grew up with "die" in the end alongside everyone else, I'm more than happy about them (at the time) choosing to end, truly end such an iconic and profitable franchise the way they did.

I never liked Pan but the 2 new Saiyan girls showed me how much worse she could've turned out. Another thing I appreciate about GT is them not milking the life out of Ssj like what's happening now and instead focusing on the story. They didn't even want to introduce Ssj4 which shows how little thought went into the merchandise on the production's side of things, to them the story was #1 while everything else came after, unlike now where that's the opposite. Due to merchandise most likely being what killed GT, it at least died a hero and didn't live long enough to see itself become the villain (coughSupercough).

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:23 am

DBSuper returning to its comedy roots during the downtime episodes, it's an aspect of the franchise that's criminally underrated in both Super and the series as a whole.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:52 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:DBSuper returning to its comedy roots during the downtime episodes, it's an aspect of the franchise that's criminally underrated in both Super and the series as a whole.
Beerus & Whis and Champa & Vados always deliver on the comedy aspect. They're simply 10/10

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 am

Xeogran wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:DBSuper returning to its comedy roots during the downtime episodes, it's an aspect of the franchise that's criminally underrated in both Super and the series as a whole.
Beerus & Whis and Champa & Vados always deliver on the comedy aspect. They're simply 10/10
It honestly feels like Beerus has been part of the cast for aaaaaages, he just fits in so well. Yet it's only been a little under 5 years.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 am

It honestly feels like Beerus has been part of the cast for aaaaaages, he just fits in so well. Yet it's only been a little under 5 years.
I never stopped to think of that, but he does in fact fit very naturally into this world. He's like the Andy Bernard of Dragon Ball.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:07 pm

For all the criticism Super receives and partially deserves, the slice of life comedy moments and episodes like 116 make me glad it exists.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 am

Representation of various ethnicities and practices in the Dragon World, mostly found in OG DB. These are things that so many can relate to universally.

Anything to do with the original music and songs, including GT's songs and music (and I still haven't watched an episode of GT :o ).

The original seiyuu. Enough said.

Like others have said, that a new DB series is currently airing and nearly the entire world can watch it pretty much live as it's airing in its home land. The quality of the series and opinions on it vary a lot, but reading comments and discussions after the latest episodes have aired is so surreal. How cool is that?

Kanzenshuu. I can listen to the sounds of birds and waterfalls whenever I get over this way.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:13 pm

This
Xeogran wrote:
and this. "Criminally underrated" is spot on.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:36 pm

This is similar to one of my previous posts but one of the things I like most in the original that I didn't notice until watching it alongside other anime is that each arc is its own thing and not a set up for some big event which in turn ends up just being a set up for an even bigger event. This way Toriyama was able (like I said before) to let each arc fully be their own thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:48 pm

The changes in tone and style that still feel of the same world.

To this day, the scene where the spectators at the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai run towards Goku and Tenshinhan to congratulate them because they know they witnessed a special fight, makes me misty eyed. I especially like that Kuririn is the first one there and the first face Goku sees after losing. It's a beautiful cap to that arc.