Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am

I am not going to comment on GT since I have only watched three episodes (the ones where every single villain was loose on Earth), but I do have a complaint concerning both GT and Super.

Character designs.

For some reason, almost all GT and Super alien races and characters look like fusions between established Z characters.

For example, Ledgic looks like a fusion between Ginyu and Cell.

Hit looks like Frieza with Cell's face and no crystal-pod whatever on his head and shoulders.

Zamasu looks like Kaioshin, Goku Black has Goku's own freakin body, etc.

Almost all aliens have the 'Frieza ears'. It's either human ears, Piccolo ears, or Frieza ears. Or they have the pod crystal things in their foreheads/shoulders/whatever.

Everyone who doesn't have eyebrows looks like Piccolo.

Omega Shenron looks ... kiiinda unique, but gives off a Darbura vibe whenever I look at him.

So, what I'd like would be new designs to make new characters look more unique.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:58 pm

sintzu wrote:There's more passion in GT than in Super, that's for sure.
And this is clear because?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Kanassa wrote:
I feel like the writers and production teams took the lore and viewers more seriously than Super's do. If you asked me this after episode 67 I would've sided with Super right away as it really seemd to figure things out but everything after has brought it down for me.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:38 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
I feel like the writers and production teams took the lore and viewers more seriously than Super's do.
In what way? And how does this make it 'sure' that GT has much more passion?

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Kanassa wrote:In what way?

And how does this make it 'sure' that GT has much more passion?
If they take the lore seriously then they're taking the viewers seriously. The current arc is full of wasted characters, 2 saiyan girls breaking every rule previously established, false tension, wasted potential with the universes, etc.

From where I'm standing (or watching), these writers based on the above just don't care. They're putting the bare minimum in the writing and the production for the most part is meh at best.

Super has shown the ability to turn things around (the retellings to the next 2 arcs) so I fully believe they'll do it again with the next arc but when it comes to this one, they dropped the ball.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:14 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kanassa wrote:In what way?

And how does this make it 'sure' that GT has much more passion?
If they take the lore seriously then they're taking the viewers seriously. The current arc is full of wasted characters, 2 saiyan girls breaking every rule previously established, false tension, wasted potential with the universes, etc.

From where I'm standing (or watching), these writers based on the above just don't care. They're putting the bare minimum in the writing and the production for the most part is meh at best.

Super has shown the ability to turn things around (the retellings to the next 2 arcs) so I fully believe they'll do it again with the next arc but when it comes to this one, they dropped the ball.
I'm not seeing the logic here.

You not liking what has been produced does not mean little passion went into the production. Despite popular belief, you can put all your heart into something and still not get it right. And in the realm of fiction where enjoyment is so subjective, especially so.

Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Kanassa wrote:You not liking what has been produced does not mean little passion went into the production.
No one, no matter how big of a super fanboy they are can say with a straight face that Super is taking the lore seriously at this point. If they don't take the lore seriously then they must not have that much passion for it or otherwise they would've taken the time to get it right. The mistakes they're making don't even need time to be avoided, they're obvious to anyone who knows a thing or 2 about the lore which you'd expect from the people working on it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:47 pm

It's a generally poor series with a few great concepts that were either botched or executed poorly. There's also some really bad character designs in the show, particularly for Vegeta and a lot of the older cast that makes them odd to look at. I also don't think Goku should have remained a kid the whole series, he definitely should have changed back to an adult by the time they returned to Earth.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:03 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kanassa wrote:You not liking what has been produced does not mean little passion went into the production.
No one, no matter how big of a super fanboy they are can say with a straight face that Super is taking the lore seriously at this point.
They can't? ANd why does it automatically make them a fanboy?

Kanassa wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:40 pm

I also don't think Goku should have remained a kid the whole series, he definitely should have changed back to an adult by the time they returned to Earth.
Why is that such a problem?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 pm

After rewatching the show again, I think it's actually good.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:04 pm

It's not good, it's mediocre and sometimes awful with the occasional shining moments here and there. But the show is so flawed due to the way it's focused on Goku and the entire rest of the cast is handled so poorly it's hard to get interested.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Goku has always been the primary focus. He's always saving the day. There are far more fundamental flaws, like boring fights.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 pm

ABED wrote:
what I've read it lost its quality around seasons 5-7 and ever since has just been living on those golden days.
Nah, it's more like season 9 or 10. I would also like to point out that shows and movies can rebound. While I do think The Simpsons is past its prime, there are plenty of really good newer episodes. The show is simply not new nor as groundbreaking as it once was. When it was new, the show was controversial. It's tame by comparison with contemporary shows.
Really?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm

Yes. I know people like to say that because it's fashionable, but The Simpsons hasn't gone nearly 20 years without a good episode. It's not as good as it once was or groundbreaking, and the sheer volume of episode practically ensures that most of the newer ones won't be remembered in the same breath as the classics, but there have been plenty of good episodes since its heyday.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:44 pm

I still like the first arc. And some of the concepts, like the idea that using the Dragon Balls too much can have negative consequences. Other than that though, I think everything after that first arc is schlock and I often felt like I was wasting my time watching it.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 am

ABED wrote:
The main thing I hated was Goku becoming a kid again.
I keep asking "Why?" because I don't understand it. Why is this such a problem for so many?
Tbf his character also kinda regressed, but I wouldn't say it's a huge problem, and I actually like the goku in GT, so yeshurg
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:58 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
ABED wrote:
The main thing I hated was Goku becoming a kid again.
I keep asking "Why?" because I don't understand it. Why is this such a problem for so many?
Tbf his character also kinda regressed, but I wouldn't say it's a huge problem, and I actually like the goku in GT, so yeshurg
How did he regress?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:31 pm

ABED wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
ABED wrote:I keep asking "Why?" because I don't understand it. Why is this such a problem for so many?
How did he regress?
He seemed a bit more childish, from what I recall, but like I said I like this goku more, so it's really a non issue for me.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SsjRavi

Post by SsjRavi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 pm

I never hated it, the music was fantastic (both the soundtrack + opening and endings), I enjoyed the creative storyline and loved the adventure aspect of it with familiar characters of a franchise I love. The conclusion was also incredible and felt like the perfect end for the franchise.

Over time I have come to see the flaws in the series and how it doesn't always execute good ideas well but overall I thought it was a fun show and it is very nostalgic for me.
"No. A sword is a weapon. Kenjutsu is the art of killing. Whatever pretty words you use to speak of it, this is its true nature. What Miss Kaoru says are the words of one who has never dirtied her hands. An idealistic joke. But, I like Miss Kaoru's idealism better than its true nature. If one can ask so much, I want the world to accept this joke as its true nature."
- Himura Kenshin