Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Hey everyone! I started watching GT again after a zillion years because the last time I watched it, it kinda aggravated me. but after rewatching it again and enjoying it thus far I had to ask, Is this part of the series over-hated? Now I admit it definitely feels different than the other parts of the series but I don't hate it like I once did. Goku being a kid again never bothered me and In my opinion super saiyan 4 looks more original and unique than anything Super has produced. Super Saiyan God was cool but then blue, pink, silver..come on...lol I'm not saying that GT is better than Super but i'm not exactly saying Super is better than GT either. I kinda wonder if Super will end up being the next GT? but there are moments in GT that I am actually laughing at like trunks having to dress up as a bride and trying to hide his voice. what's your thoughts though? do you still hate GT or do you find it more tolerable than before? no judgement either way. different folks different strokes haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:24 pm

I never thought GT was bad, and in fact, even now i have trouble on deciding whether super is better or not (i think it's currently better but hey it could be because super is the new thing and i have rewatched GT a lot of times in the past).

I do think it is overhated, hell i actually only realized that people disliked the show once my parents bought our first computer.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:28 pm

The more I go back to watch certain episodes of GT again, the more I appreciate all the little details I missed when I first watched the show. But at same time, I'm reminded of its glaring flaws which greatly damage my opinion of the show from when I first watched it. For what the does well, it does really well. But it just does too much wrong for me personally.

That being said, if they re-released the show on Blu-Ray, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. From the art direction, character designs, use of backgrounds and even the ED songs, you could really tell GT was a product of its time and that's quite frankly one of the more unique things about the show as a whole in all honestly.

GT is just one of those somewhat surreal and idiosyncratic entries into a long running story like Dragon Ball that you can hate and love at the same time for what it bring to the table. And I think, despite my overall negative view of the show, Dragon Ball GT something worth at least one complete watch-through and home video purchase.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:39 pm

I totally agree that if they released it on bluray It would be an instant buy also. I feel ledgic(is that how his name is spelled? i'm on a console) but he seemed like a wasted character? he looks great but excuted poorly
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:46 pm

I still dislike the show for being a huge letdown to GT. With Super, I didn't have much hopes for it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 pm

I never hated to begin with. I tend to like the series in the same amount. Though I must admit, the beginning of Dragon Ball GT is boring, to the point of being unwatchable, so I skip most of the episodes straight to Baby Vegeta saga.

I should watch Dragon Ball GT nowadays to have an updated opinion but that's the conclusion I have after watching it a few times years ago.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Only things I like in GT are first episode and SSJ4. Rest is unbearable to me, watched it for a second time a few years back and sincerely regretted it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:37 pm

I feel like with DBS the "hate" for GT was kinda of overstated, it seemed more people enjoyed the show than it was made out, as evident by the video sales for FUNimation. Me personally never cared for GT much, not particularly interested in visiting it anytime soon my biggest turn off was the atmosphere of the show didn't feel right.

Regarding DBS, I doubt it will have a bad reputation it continues to grow strength to strength in every market so it is evident plenty of people still enjoy it and like Schemmel said once DBS is over people will see it has the definitive series i agree with him.

Anyway, while on the topic of GT, I am glad there are people out there that genuinely enjoyed it, even if one person in the world liked GT it means it wasn't a waste of time.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:48 pm

I been re-watching GT recently as well and I don't HATE it but I wouldn't recommend it casually.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:33 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:I never thought GT was bad, and in fact, even now i have trouble on deciding whether super is better or not
This
My English is poor .

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:29 pm

I feel like GT is one of those things people like more for what it could be than what it actually was. It's not an unwatchable mess, but god does it have some stupid moments, in a completely different way than super. It's also just...kinda boring? It feels less like it uses Z as a jumping-off point and more like it's only wallowing in what that series established. The ending was pretty neat, and a lot of what it brings are good ideas in concept, but the process of trying to actually sit through the thing is just not a really fun experience. It doesn't help that it constantly has to have it's canon called into question. Nor does the whole "WELL SUPER SAIYAN FOUR IS THE BEST THING EVER AND JUSTIFIES THE WHOLE SHOW SO FUCK YOU" mindset from the hardcore GT fandom, that exists for some reason.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I kinda wonder if Super will end up being the next GT?
The only people I ever see say stuff like this are on Kanzenshuu. I personally find it to be way more entertaining and inspired than GT, which is a chore to sit through. I also feel that, due to Toriyama's involvement and it coming out in the Web 2.0 era, Super will be way more relevant than GT in the long run.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Well SSJ4 Goku and SSJ4 Vegeta are the top two characters in Dokkan, even above SSB Vegetto, SSJ Gogeta, and Broly... so it’s hard to argue GT isn’t well liked, popular, or relevant.

The fact of the matter is when talking sales or merchandising GT still sells and SSJ4 alone sells a lot. In the West it’s wasnt hated to the extent that was claimed. Nick toons was hitting record numbers with its Kai/GT block. And GT continues to hold the record in DVD sales and I believe online streaming services. Although I’m not sure since Super is available primarily online.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:54 pm

More than "never hated it," I've always liked it. It's quite flawed, but ultimately gets by on tone and atmosphere. It's shocking how distinct its direction and identity wound up being for a purely company-driven continuation. It manages to carve out quite a bit of visual iconography too. In a lot of ways it's also quite a fitting, if un-Toriyama, take on where the various characters might end up.

In comparison to Super on an execution level, while the latter has higher highs, GT comes out as the better-directed series during most run-of-the-mill scenes by an inordinate margin. Last House days aside, it's quite a stylish show.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:56 pm

It really is rather boring. There are good moments, and plenty of funny and interesting character interactions. Though the pacing often feels as slow as molasses, I've never hated it.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Also never hated it. Never LOVED it either though. I always just found it interesting, but ultimately super flawed and a colossal waste of potential in many areas. But I definitely agree that overall I probably prefer it over Super if I were forced to choose, if only because of how radically unique and different it feels compared to Super's nostalgia-pandering and endless wheel-spinning. I'd rather have a noble, interesting failure that takes risks that don't ultimately pay off than I would a bland, mediocre retread of past glory moments that's more apt to play things nice and safe. Probably the absolute best non-Kikuchi music ever composed for the series as well, alongside Yamamoto's Butouden video game stuff.

I will say though that that Son Goku Jr. special is easily my single least favorite piece of anime from the original run. Bleh. Awful.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 pm

I'd rather have a noble, interesting failure that takes risks that don't ultimately pay off than I would a bland, mediocre retread of past glory moments that's more apt to play things nice and safe.
Pretty much my thoughts. I think for years I would've loved if DB continued, but after years of disappointing continuations, I've come to dislike them. Nearly all of them have been big disappointments for the reason you mentioned.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:30 pm

ABED wrote:
I'd rather have a noble, interesting failure that takes risks that don't ultimately pay off than I would a bland, mediocre retread of past glory moments that's more apt to play things nice and safe.
Pretty much my thoughts. I think for years I would've loved if DB continued, but after years of disappointing continuations, I've come to dislike them. Nearly all of them have been big disappointments for the reason you mentioned.
Agreed here as well. For years as a child, I imagined what DB would be like if it continued. And I just look at Super like "...really? this is what we got?"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Also never hated it. Never LOVED it either though. I always just found it interesting, but ultimately super flawed and a colossal waste of potential in many areas. But I definitely agree that overall I probably prefer it over Super if I were forced to choose, if only because of how radically unique and different it feels compared to Super's nostalgia-pandering and endless wheel-spinning. I'd rather have a noble, interesting failure that takes risks that don't ultimately pay off than I would a bland, mediocre retread of past glory moments that's more apt to play things nice and safe. Probably the absolute best non-Kikuchi music ever composed for the series as well, alongside Yamamoto's Butouden video game stuff.

I will say though that that Son Goku Jr. special is easily my single least favorite piece of anime from the original run. Bleh. Awful.
I agree with you here. You got me nervous to rewatch that special now LOL I remembering hating it so much lol
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 pm

ABED wrote:Pretty much my thoughts. I think for years I would've loved if DB continued, but after years of disappointing continuations, I've come to dislike them. Nearly all of them have been big disappointments for the reason you mentioned.
Dbzfan94 wrote:Agreed here as well. For years as a child, I imagined what DB would be like if it continued. And I just look at Super like "...really? this is what we got?"
I know, I know, I'm a broken record on this.... but I remain eternally flabbergasted at exactly why it is that so. Utterly. Many. Of you. Were somehow still positively THIRSTING for more of this after close to five hundred someodd fucking episodes of anime and 40+ volumes of manga. I just compare and contrast these sentiments to what it was like among most fans back in the mid 90s when the series originally ended, where the overall sentiment was generally and largely "Yeah, I really dug this, but it definitely overstayed its welcome by more than a fair bit."

Even for my own part, as someone who was nowhere NEAR as down on GT as some, as someone who really, really loved the Cell and Boo material, when the dust had finally settled by '97... my feeling at the time, and in all the years ever since then, has generally always been "Yeah, I think we're all good and done here."

I mean, all differences with the dub aside, 400 to 500-something episodes of just about anything, particularly when that anything is serialized, is still a fucking GARGANTUAN density of material any which possible way you slice it. How does that sheer volume of content somehow not fill up and satisfy just about anyone? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.