Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Bridgeman wrote:Goku being a child bothered me because his personality changed. He actually became more childish than when he was an adult.
I've run into this argument as well and it amazes me that some think he becomes more childish and others believe he became less childish. What can you point to as an example of him becoming more childish in GT?
they said they were going on a journey to make Goku a man again
Did they? I recall them saying they were getting the DB's to stop the Earth from exploding.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 pm

ABED wrote:
Bridgeman wrote:Goku being a child bothered me because his personality changed. He actually became more childish than when he was an adult.
I've run into this argument as well and it amazes me that some think he becomes more childish and others believe he became less childish. What can you point to as an example of him becoming more childish in GT?
Did they? I recall them saying they were getting the DB's to stop the Earth from exploding.
I can't name any concrete examples right now because it's been ages since I've seen GT. This is just me remembering how I felt about it since my childhood. Generally speaking I feel like there were more comic relief scenes than ever involving Goku, and his behavior just felt more childish. Not that he couldn't get serious while fighting, but I dunno. Maybe I only think this way because he looks like a child. Nonetheless, I feel like they were going for more of a Dragon Ball vibe than a Dragon Ball Z vibe. Dragon Ball was more "Hey let's go on a big adventure" and Dragon Ball Z was more "Let's go fight this bad guy and then the next bad guy who's even stronger".

That was definitely the main reason to retrieve the Black Star Dragon Balls, but I feel like they also did state at some point they wanted to wish Goku back to being an adult. Or, it could be Blue Water's GT theme song that makes me think that ("Making the boy a man again").

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 pm

The stakes got bigger in DBZ, but Goku is always Goku. He has always wanted to fight more and more powerful opponents. The first big goal in GT may have been a throwback, but Goku is still Goku. In GT, Goku looked out for Pan which showed a very paternal side to him that we saw before, but it felt different this time. I would argue that Goku is more mature in GT than even in Z.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm

I dunno. The only part of GT I really liked was Baby. The idea of a Tuffle survivor coming back to get revenge seemed plausible to me.

Also, another minor gripe, Frieza being brought back for the 1000th time only to be utterly wasted again. It really started to annoy me how every time Frieza was brought on-screen again he got owned easily. First time in hell in Dragon Ball Z, one punch by Pikkon I believe. Then Fusion Reborn, one punch by Gohan. Then GT, where he couldn't even do anything to Goku.

Finally, Super got that right. Everyone's been saying all along how Frieza is a prodigy of his race and capable of great power. Super finally acted on that and made him stronger. Which is great because I still think Frieza was the greatest villain in Z.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:42 pm

ABED wrote:
That's from the horrible Blue Water version of Dan Dan Kokoro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPDP3S4dYcY

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Jord wrote:
ABED wrote:
That's from the horrible Blue Water version of Dan Dan Kokoro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPDP3S4dYcY
Hahaha yeah it's pretty awful but god does that make me nostalgic. That's what aired on TV here when I was a kid. I love that song.

When I heard Funimation's dub years and years later, I was wondering why the hell they were calling the blue robot guy "General Rildo". I knew him as General Lock. Such a mindfuck.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Bridgeman wrote:I don't hate it, but I don't like it at all. I don't like how end of Z made everyone old, and GT made them even older. Krillin is an old, graying man, an insult to the great fighter he once was. Now look at how Super handles Krillin. He's actually back and kicking again. Yamcha I think was seen once in GT. Tien I think not at all? Maybe he showed up once when they teleported everyone before Earth exploded, but that's it. So many characters were completely and utterly wasted in GT. Goten, Gohan, Uub, Trunks. And they wrote out Fat Buu in order to give Uub a power up, then Uub still gets owned. Super Saiyan 4 looked... Cool I guess, but it was ridiculous. Especially how Vegeta reached the form. Goku being a child bothered me because his personality changed. He actually became more childish than when he was an adult. That was the only good thing about SSJ4, that we got to see adult Goku. But I remember when I watched GT as a kid, they said they were going on a journey to make Goku a man again, and throughout the entire series I was looking forward to that... And then it doesn't happen. The ending is ridiculous. Shenron just decides "Well you guys have abused these Dragon Balls way too much and I'm leaving bye" and Goku goes with him for some reason. How does Shenron, a creation of Dende, get to decide what happens to the Dragon Balls? Why does Goku leave with him? Where do they go?

People say Dragon Ball Super is the big Goku & Vegeta show, but honestly GT was way worse. At least Super gives other characters the spotlight every now and then. Yamcha, Tien, Buu, Gohan, Krillin, even Master Roshi. GT was just Goku, Pan, and Trunks, and when Vegeta got SSJ4 it was Goku and Vegeta with the rest of the crew serving as energy batteries and distraction material.
Out of interest, would you prefer it if the cast were essentially "ageless" then?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:57 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
Bridgeman wrote:I don't hate it, but I don't like it at all. I don't like how end of Z made everyone old, and GT made them even older. Krillin is an old, graying man, an insult to the great fighter he once was. Now look at how Super handles Krillin. He's actually back and kicking again. Yamcha I think was seen once in GT. Tien I think not at all? Maybe he showed up once when they teleported everyone before Earth exploded, but that's it. So many characters were completely and utterly wasted in GT. Goten, Gohan, Uub, Trunks. And they wrote out Fat Buu in order to give Uub a power up, then Uub still gets owned. Super Saiyan 4 looked... Cool I guess, but it was ridiculous. Especially how Vegeta reached the form. Goku being a child bothered me because his personality changed. He actually became more childish than when he was an adult. That was the only good thing about SSJ4, that we got to see adult Goku. But I remember when I watched GT as a kid, they said they were going on a journey to make Goku a man again, and throughout the entire series I was looking forward to that... And then it doesn't happen. The ending is ridiculous. Shenron just decides "Well you guys have abused these Dragon Balls way too much and I'm leaving bye" and Goku goes with him for some reason. How does Shenron, a creation of Dende, get to decide what happens to the Dragon Balls? Why does Goku leave with him? Where do they go?

People say Dragon Ball Super is the big Goku & Vegeta show, but honestly GT was way worse. At least Super gives other characters the spotlight every now and then. Yamcha, Tien, Buu, Gohan, Krillin, even Master Roshi. GT was just Goku, Pan, and Trunks, and when Vegeta got SSJ4 it was Goku and Vegeta with the rest of the crew serving as energy batteries and distraction material.
Out of interest, would you prefer it if the cast were essentially "ageless" then?
Oh hell yeah. I don't want to see my favorite Dragon Ball characters grow old. I don't mind them growing up, I'd love to see adult Goten and Trunks. But don't let them grow old and gray and bald. It's a fictional show, let me live in the ignorance that these characters will be in their prime forever.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 pm

I never hated GT but I always knew it wasn't very good and if not for the Dragon Ball name, I (heck... most people) wouldn't care for it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 am

Bridgeman wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:

Oh hell yeah. I don't want to see my favorite Dragon Ball characters grow old. I don't mind them growing up, I'd love to see adult Goten and Trunks. But don't let them grow old and gray and bald. It's a fictional show, let me live in the ignorance that these characters will be in their prime forever.
Yeah, I've always assumed that even these comparatively "normal" Earthling characters, such as Krillin and Yamcha, reach essentially "beyond superhuman" levels of health and fitness, the natural human aging/ decay process would be greatly decelerated. For example, a human character like Roshi can be 300 but physically only look like he is in his 70s/ 80s. The same can also be said for Shen, and I believe Tao was close to 300 when he first appeared, yet physically looked like he was in his 30s/ 40s.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Bridgeman wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:

That's interesting. That's one of the things I like in GT. It makes the characters more 'real' and relatable. We see how characters like Kuririn develop from child to elderly man and there's something magical about that. I can see why you don't like it though.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Jord wrote:
Bridgeman wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:
That's interesting. That's one of the things I like in GT. It makes the characters more 'real' and relatable. We see how characters like Kuririn develop from child to elderly man and there's something magical about that. I can see why you don't like it though.
For me his development from early Dragon Ball to the end of Z was more than enough. The anime filler with Maron actually contributed to this a little as well. I don't necessarily need to see him as an old man, or his friends attending his funeral after he dies of old age. For me Krillin is a huge part of the Dragon Ball franchise and I don't want him out of the picture.

I would actually love it if they did a Namek saga type thing with Super at some point. Make Goku and Vegeta unable to help them, and put Krillin and the other weaker fighters in peril. It was so interesting to see how Gohan and Krillin handled themselves when none of the stronger guys were there to help them out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:47 pm

It wasn't simply a matter of stronger guys not being there to help them. They had a goal that didn't need them to be stronger to achieve.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Bridgeman wrote:
Jord wrote:
Bridgeman wrote:
For me his development from early Dragon Ball to the end of Z was more than enough. The anime filler with Maron actually contributed to this a little as well. I don't necessarily need to see him as an old man, or his friends attending his funeral after he dies of old age. For me Krillin is a huge part of the Dragon Ball franchise and I don't want him out of the picture.

I would actually love it if they did a Namek saga type thing with Super at some point. Make Goku and Vegeta unable to help them, and put Krillin and the other weaker fighters in peril. It was so interesting to see how Gohan and Krillin handled themselves when none of the stronger guys were there to help them out.
I agree on the second part. What I liked about that part of the series was how the characters needed to outsmart the enemies instead of firing bigger Ki blasts which is unfortunately the solution when Goku/Vegeta are involved. For that reason I liked a large part of the Garlic Jr Saga as well.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:49 pm

ABED wrote:It wasn't simply a matter of stronger guys not being there to help them. They had a goal that didn't need them to be stronger to achieve.
I mean that's what they thought at first, but five seconds on Namek and it was pretty clear they were screwed. Then it took five days for Goku to get over there (which is forever in DBZ time), and shortly after getting there he got injured to the point where he had to be healed for a long time. The fight against Frieza was one big desperation match of trying to survive.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Bridgeman wrote:
ABED wrote:It wasn't simply a matter of stronger guys not being there to help them. They had a goal that didn't need them to be stronger to achieve.
I mean that's what they thought at first, but five seconds on Namek and it was pretty clear they were screwed. Then it took five days for Goku to get over there (which is forever in DBZ time), and shortly after getting there he got injured to the point where he had to be healed for a long time. The fight against Frieza was one big desperation match of trying to survive.
Goku is constantly taken out early in the arcs, at least in DBZ. Collecting the DB's allowed them to contribute to the story in a meaningful way besides just being sacrificial lambs waiting to be saved.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:54 am

Bridgeman wrote:I would actually love it if they did a Namek saga type thing with Super at some point. Make Goku and Vegeta unable to help them, and put Krillin and the other weaker fighters in peril. It was so interesting to see how Gohan and Krillin handled themselves when none of the stronger guys were there to help them out.
Would love this so much but can't see it ever happening on the Goku 'n' His Super Saiyan Friends Show.
Z-Fighters fan.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 pm

TheZFighter wrote:
Bridgeman wrote:I would actually love it if they did a Namek saga type thing with Super at some point. Make Goku and Vegeta unable to help them, and put Krillin and the other weaker fighters in peril. It was so interesting to see how Gohan and Krillin handled themselves when none of the stronger guys were there to help them out.
Would love this so much but can't see it ever happening on the Goku 'n' His Super Saiyan Friends Show.
Indeed.
I could see this happening in one of the movies in the '90s, I could see Akira Toriyama doing it as a one-shot sidestory or something in an off week, I could just about see GT doing it...
But no way is Super doing anything like that. If they did something that started out like that, it'd turn into Goku and Vegeta save the day within like 2 or 3 episodes; in other words, it'd just be Potaufeu all over again.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:55 pm

I have never hated GT, but I was disappointed with what I got from it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I never hated GT. I went in with a very open mind and enjoyed it so much. I think if you go into it without any prior stigmas, you’ll like something about it. And I mean “you” in the general sense of the term.
You must have faith in who you are.