Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 pm

I've always liked (not loved) GT because I was lucky enough to not start with the first arc so I never hated it outright like some do. I will say that Super has made me appreciate some of the things in GT so if anything I like it more than I did.
ABED wrote:
I'd rather have a noble, interesting failure that takes risks that don't ultimately pay off than I would a bland, mediocre retread of past glory moments that's more apt to play things nice and safe.
I think for years I would've loved if DB continued, but after years of disappointing continuations, I've come to dislike them. Nearly all of them have been big disappointments for the reason you mentioned.
Ever since I finished DB 10 years ago I've wanted it to continue but apart from BOG, everything has been the same with a different paint brush and less quality. I'm still excited to see what Super can offer but at this point it needs to really change things up by introducing completely new concepts and leaving fan service in the past.
Last edited by sintzu on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
I know, I know, I'm a broken record on this.... but I remain eternally flabbergasted at exactly why it is that so. Utterly. Many. Of you. Were somehow still positively THIRSTING for more of this after close to five hundred someodd fucking episodes of anime and 40+ volumes of manga. I just compare and contrast these sentiments to what it was like among most fans back in the mid 90s when the series originally ended, where the overall sentiment was generally and largely "Yeah, I really dug this, but it definitely overstayed its welcome by more than a fair bit."

Even for my own part, as someone who was nowhere NEAR as down on GT as some, as someone who really, really loved the Cell and Boo material, when the dust had finally settled by '97... my feeling at the time, and in all the years ever since then, has generally always been "Yeah, I think we're all good and done here."

I mean, all differences with the dub aside, 400 to 500-something episodes of just about anything, particularly when that anything is serialized, is still a fucking GARGANTUAN density of material any which possible way you slice it. How does that sheer volume of content somehow not fill up and satisfy just about anyone? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
I was 10 at the time when the Buu dub ended. I still had that 'I want more' that you always get after finishing a series cause I didn't care for GT (I blame the shitty dub music). When I got older I was fully content and happy that the series was ended (and I hoped) stayed that way. Even when Battle of Gods came out and the countless rumors about a new series, I was the first one to be like "no."

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:48 am

I actually find GT to be an odd show.

Combine adventure of DB & Action of Z = BAM!!! GT

Except Black Star DB Arc & Shadow Dragon, I find most materials in GT to be "decent"

Even some episodes from BS DB Arc like Goku vs Ledgic, Goku the Dentist & Goku vs Base Rildo are downright superb!!!

The whole Omega/Syn Shenron portion was also decent.

Baby & Super 17 Arc are Z-worthy materials imo. Epic. Baby makes GT imo

So basically, I dont necessarily HATE GT, only upset that it didnt manage to live-up to my imaginations as great as it could've been.

I think even dat could be forgiven considerin how Super's been destroyin hard-earned good-will of DragonBall franchise right, left & centre remorselessly

Now data saying somethin

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:59 am

I never hated GT, I just found it boring, was bothered by the slow placed fights and found it not funny at all. Not to mention the bad fight choreography.

I absolutely loved the planet m2 and Bebi saga, though. Everything else was not so good.

I've been re watching it lately and I gotta say super made me appreciate how much care went into consistently good art in GT. But I do enjoy the fight coregraphy and a lot of the story more in Super. And the character feel a lot more like themselves in Super than GT.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 am

I wouldn't say I ever hated it. I own it on DVD.

It is still and has always been a poor series though. Not just by Dragon Ball Z standards either, just as far as these Shonen battle series go, Dragon Ball GT isn't very good at all.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 am

Let's keep in mind that for the years that I did want there to be more, I was a teenager. My tastes were (and still are) changing all the time as a natural result of reading and watching more. Back then, I had boundless energy and wanted more and more of the things I liked. Even though there was a lot of material, I still wanted more. Now, as long as something is given a satisfying conclusion, I'll take quality over quantity. I would've loved the sheer volume of weekly wrestling content the WWE puts out on a weekly basis. Now, I'll take an hour to two of one compelling weekly Raw over that 10 times out of 10. Hell, given the drop in quality as a result, I haven't watched the current product in 7 years.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:36 am

People vastly under value the worth of a proper conclusion, it's why everything from Star Wars to Hocus Pocus can't go the fuck away and stay there.

For Gods sake! They're gonna make another Lord of the Rings!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 am

ekrolo2 wrote:People vastly under value the worth of a proper conclusion, it's why everything from Star Wars to Hocus Pocus can't go the fuck away and stay there.

To be fair, the Lord of the Rings TV show wouldn't be a continuation, it would an adaptation in another medium. I'd be interested to see how they adapt it. I've read the books and while the films capture the feel in many respects, there are parts that are VERY Peter Jackson and not so much Tolkien.

I agree about Star Wars, though Terminator would be my go to, because Star Wars does feel like a world of stories that could go on forever, even if it's not about the original characters. Terminator 2 has such an amazing ending with a great message about hope and free will that continuing on only serves to dilute that message.

DB got as much out of the story as it was pretty much ever going to get. GT was an attempt at keeping it going but a flawed one. At least it got to end. You bring up the value of a proper conclusion. A great conclusion by itself can almost lift up the rest of the story, like GT's did.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:47 am

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:People vastly under value the worth of a proper conclusion, it's why everything from Star Wars to Hocus Pocus can't go the fuck away and stay there.

To be fair, the Lord of the Rings TV show wouldn't be a continuation, it would an adaptation in another medium. I'd be interested to see how they adapt it. I've read the books and while the films capture the feel in many respects, there are parts that are VERY Peter Jackson and not so much Tolkien.

I agree about Star Wars, though Terminator would be my go to, because Star Wars does feel like a world of stories that could go on forever, even if it's not about the original characters. Terminator 2 has such an amazing ending with a great message about hope and free will that continuing on only serves to dilute that message.

DB got as much out of the story as it was pretty much ever going to get. GT was an attempt at keeping it going but a flawed one. At least it got to end. You bring up the value of a proper conclusion. A great conclusion by itself can almost lift up the rest of the story, like GT's did.
The LOTR thing would probably bother me less if we didn't just leave the Jacksonverse less then 3 years prior. Making a remake 20-30 years after that's gone by the way side is fine, this feels too soon. I do agree that Terminator is probably a better example then Star Wars, SW just annoys me nowadays for the same reason Super does: it has no identity of its own with the new material, it's all just knock offs of the popular stuff people unanimously like.

GTs ending probably benefits because from going into a near definitive conclusion route. It does leave off stuff from Goku & Vegeta Jr but unlike the Z one, it pretty definitively says the days of Goku & company are dead and gone. A lot of endings I feel don't let themselves go off into that kind of direction and try to half ass it by saying "Yeah this over folks, except there's a shit load more room left for us to milk this later!"
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 am

To be fair, his Lord of the Rings trilogy ended in 2003. The most recent trilogy was The Hobbit.
"Yeah this over folks, except there's a shit load more room left for us to milk this later!"
Yeah, it's like no one can write an ending that just says "Life goes on, but we just won't see it". It's like we have to see the very, VERY end of something for it to be a conclusion. And sometimes not even then.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:56 am

ABED wrote:To be fair, his Lord of the Rings trilogy ended in 2003. The most recent trilogy was The Hobbit.
"Yeah this over folks, except there's a shit load more room left for us to milk this later!"
Yeah, it's like no one can write an ending that just says "Life goes on, but we just won't see it". It's like we have to see the very end of something for it to be a conclusion.
A follow up series with Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr could be done, though.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:56 am

Apart from some off-looking face models I do not have that much of a problem with GT. It has a dark futuristic vibe and perfectly reflects what I wanted after the manga: A show that shows what happens after the manga which ended absolutely underwhelming for me.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 am

sangofe wrote:
ABED wrote:To be fair, his Lord of the Rings trilogy ended in 2003. The most recent trilogy was The Hobbit.
Yeah, it's like no one can write an ending that just says "Life goes on, but we just won't see it". It's like we have to see the very end of something for it to be a conclusion.
That strikes me as "second verse, same as the first".

GT has a weird melancholy vibe throughout.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:09 am

Another thing I want to give GT is the aesthetics, it genuinely picked its own visual style and sets itself apart from everything else. The color choices, the environments, the designs for characters, it's all really unique to GT that you can immediately see something from it and say that it's a GT thing.

I also appreciate that it had actual intentions of making an interesting DB continuation, it doesn't realize a lot of that stuff but in a sea of sequels that purport they're desire to push a series forward while endlessly sucking the shaft and balls of the old stuff in painful detail, this earns it massive points from me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 am

I don't mind mining the past to push a story forward, but many just do the former and forget to do the latter.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 am

ABED wrote:
sangofe wrote:

That strikes me as "second verse, same as the first".

GT has a weird melancholy vibe throughout.
I'm sorry, English isn't my first language, so I'm not sure but what you mean? That'd it'd be a copy of what was done for example with Goku?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah, it's a way of saying someone is telling the same story over and over.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:31 am

ABED wrote:I don't mind mining the past to push a story forward, but many just do the former and forget to do the latter.
Baby is a really good example of how to do it well, but all too often, it's just there for the sake of cheap fan service. Vegetto comes back and he serves no purpose in the story at all besides to meet "fan expectations" as stated by a recent interview.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:34 am

ABED wrote:Yeah, it's a way of saying someone is telling the same story over and over.
It wouldn't have to be. There'd be many possibilities there. But.. The start of the fight we see with Goku and Vegeta being rivals, and them being kids sure do give these vibes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 am

Granted, I'm not a writer, so whether I can think of a new direction doesn't mean no one else can, but given how long DB is, I can't imagine there's something else you can do with Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. that DB hasn't already explored that would be in keeping with Dragon Ball. I'm sure that good stories can be told, but I don't think they would be new stories.