Portuguese Dub, perhaps?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyàBitō

Portuguese Dub, perhaps?

Post by SaiyàBitō » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:54 am

It has been quite some time since I’ve last been here. Hahah, my sincere apologies. I have been quite busy with schoolwork and such.

Now, the Portuguese dub as actually intrigued me for quite some time now. Years, one could say. And I’ve recently seen the video that MasakoX (voice of Som Gokû for TeamFourStar) made for a similar topic.

Portuguese dub, and of course the SIC version in Portugal, is well known for it being that one hilarious dub that has its voices, “singing”, and whatnot. And yet there are some, but mainly the Portuguese audience, who knows of what was in the script(s) of it. Sure, it was definitely based off of the AB Groupe script but there was indeed more to it.

Curious though... How do you all feel of the Portuguese (SIC) dub? What is your favorite moment? Favorite voice? And please do tell on how you discovered/experienced it, yes?
See - Life is like a ball.

It will keep rolling in time and bounce with excitement. Until, that ball will be flat. You will be weak.

But, don't fret. At time, the ball won't be flat anymore. It'll be round and strong. You, and I mean you, will be strong once again.

PROBABLY NOT ON HIATUS AGAIN BUT WHO KNOWS?

Yeah, thing is that I am always not here and it’s saddening to me. Seriously. I just want to make some great topics and such, yes?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Portuguese Dub, perhaps?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 am

Being portuguese, I was introduced to Dragon Ball through this dub, so I didn't have much choice but to "like" it back then.

I think people heavily misrepresent the dub, either by claiming that the jokes were what made it a success (not true) or by pretending that it was nothing but jokes (also not true). It was a dub based on the French version with some fourth wall-breaking Portuguese jokes sparsely mixed in at certain moments.

The series was a success here not because of the dub, but for the same reason why Dragon Ball is a worldwide success: because of the world, story and characters. Kids could care less (or even get) most of the jokes that were shoehorned in.

As I grew up I came to care and appreciate the accuracy of the original version, and in turn increased my dislike towards the portuguese dub since by comparing it to the original, you notice the flaws, deviations and innacuracies more.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Because of the Portuguese dub's reputation as a gag dub, I'd really like it if English subtitles were made for it. Granted, English translations of the French dub would be helpful too (especially the original DB series, as apparently elements of the french script were used in the blue water dub of original DB), but considering how... unique... the Portuguese dub is...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Because of the Portuguese dub's reputation as a gag dub, I'd really like it if English subtitles were made for it. Granted, English translations of the French dub would be helpful too (especially the original DB series, as apparently elements of the french script were used in the blue water dub of original DB), but considering how... unique... the Portuguese dub is...
Most of the jokes are based on sayings/proverbs or national celebrities. They'd fly over the head of an English speaker.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Ah yes, like "It's Miss Portugal '97!", "It's the year of the Expo, so let's call him Gill", and "Super Warrior Blue Wanda Stuart"
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Ah yes, like "It's Miss Portugal '97!", "It's the year of the Expo, so let's call him Gill", and "Super Warrior Blue Wanda Stuart"
Don't forget Krillin's "It's Benfica's fault!" :lol:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Luso Saiyan, pretty much summed it up.
I would like to add that original jokes in our dubs was something common back then and other animes like Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon and Pokémon had it too.
SaiyàBitō wrote:How do you all feel of the Portuguese (SIC) dub?
Despite the circumstances, they actually did a good job. Our cast is the reason why I'm not impressed when someone says x voice actor is talented, because he/she dubs more than one character. In Portugal you don't have the luxury of having one voice actor for each character, so one voice actor dubbing more than 3 characters is pretty common around here...

The newest example is FT Trunks arc in DBS. Henrique Feist is dubbing Goku, Black, Gohan, Kid Trunks and FT Trunks. All different voices without any filter.

It's the dub I grew up with and I rewatched it countless times before switch to the original version. It will always be special to me, but nowadays I mainly stick to the japanese version because besides being the original, there's no censorship, it has all the insert songs and the script is how it should be.
What is your favorite moment?
Goku turning SSJ for the first time is epic in any language. As long as it has Kikuchi's BGM of course... :P
Favorite voice?
The obvious answer - Son Goku (Henrique Feist)
Please do tell on how you discovered/experienced it, yes?
I was just a kid wanting to watch cartoons on TV.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Tian wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Ah yes, like "It's Miss Portugal '97!", "It's the year of the Expo, so let's call him Gill", and "Super Warrior Blue Wanda Stuart"
Don't forget Krillin's "It's Benfica's fault!" :lol:
Care to explain that one?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Care to explain that one?
Typical 'blame the rival sports team' trash-talk. S.L. Benfica is (among) the top football/soccer teams in Portugal.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

This was one of my favourite pieces in the Portuguese (Portugal) dub. Broly's scream was sick! My favourite voice has to be from Joaquim Monchique. He did great as Majin Buu (Super, Kid). I switched over to the Brazilian one though.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:09 pm

I never watched it at all but I heard they toned down the jokes and upped the quality for Super.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 pm

The quality of translations, perhaps, but Jaco's voice actor annoyed the hell out of me. They tried to make an allusion to the old jokes, but they got tired as soon as they started, when Vegeta's voice actor didn't have the same spunk. There's only one thing that I miss: the names' convention for the European countries in the 90s versus a broader English one. Things like Little Heart of Demon - Piccolo is little in Italian and the name of a flute - came from Piccolo Daimao and his instruments family, to be passed on to his reincarnation as a demon smaller than himself, and it sounded cool in Portuguese.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Desassina wrote:This was one of my favourite pieces in the Portuguese (Portugal) dub. Broly's scream was sick! My favourite voice has to be from Joaquim Monchique. He did great as Majin Buu (Super, Kid). I switched over to the Brazilian one though.
The comments on that video are ridiculous to say the least.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Think you could post some videos of moments the Portugal Portuguese dub had at least half-way decent acting? English Big Green may have been bad overall, but there were a few moments (far and few between, sure, but still) where it was somewhat decent.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 am

Unfortunately, those which might endure are the movies, but I don't own them. I have to start collecting them for the sake of history.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 am

Most people who only know of this dub from YouTube clipshows are under the (very mistaken) impression that the dub was filled to the brim with nothing but jokes. That isn't the case at all. They merely occasionally added random jokes here and there where they could fit them. I'd say around 95% of the script is directly translated from the French dub's script (for DB and Z) or from the Japanese script (for GT and Super). Those clipshows you see on YouTube make it look like it's far jokier than it actually is.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:32 pm

So if the Portugal dub's status as a gag dub is overblown... would you say it had the same amount of added gags as the old Funimation dubs (Pioneer notwithstanding)?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:19 am

Yeah, kinda. But unlike early Funi who rewrote entire plot lines for no reason (Bardock the scientist, anyone?), the Portuguese dub only added jokes — the actual “important” lines were all intact (well, as intact as we got them from the highly edited French dub anyway)
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 am

I was actually impressed by Vegeta's explanation of the Bruits Waves. I thought that they would chalk it off as nonsense, but then I went back to watch that scene, and they kept everything intact.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:27 am

Puto wrote:Yeah, kinda. But unlike early Funi who rewrote entire plot lines for no reason (Bardock the scientist, anyone?), the Portuguese dub only added jokes — the actual “important” lines were all intact (well, as intact as we got them from the highly edited French dub anyway)
Exactly. In context, in terms of faithfulness, the Funi dub is probably worse to what their dub is based on than the Portuguese one.