Chris Ayres (DBZ Kai's Freeza) Needs Our Help

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Chris Ayres (DBZ Kai's Freeza) Needs Our Help

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm

I believe we've had threads about similar situations before, so I thought I'd share this one here too because I feel like it's something that would definitely be of interest to almost all Kanzenshuu members.

https://www.youcaring.com/christopherayres-1010986

Chris Ayres, the voice of Freeza in DBZ Kai and everything to feature the character since then, is in really bad shape right now (as has been noted here in another thread before I believe, but I couldn't find it). He's fighting the end stages of C.O.P.D., and the cost of operations needed is getting really really costly for his friends and family. If any of you guys have the cash to spare and donate (I know it's a hard time of the year for a lot of us moneywise, myself included), or even just want to share this around, and show support for the man who gave us such an amazing dub performance for arguably the most iconic Dragon Ball villain, I know they'd all really, really appreciate it.

It breaks my heart to see that his condition has gotten so much worse, as he's always seemed like a really nice guy on top of being a great actor. :cry: I hope he's able to pull through this.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Chris Ayres (DBZ Kai's Freeza) Needs Our Help

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 pm

This is pretty bad... And he's the actor I like the most from the English cast. Let's hope Funimation won't have to recast him.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 pm

sangofe wrote:This is pretty bad... And he's the actor I like the most from the English cast. Let's hope Funimation won't have to recast him.
His understudy, Daman Mills, already voiced Freeza a little bit in Super.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKdjfS1kao

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Also, for whatever it's worth, this particular site is set up in such a way so that you can donate literally any amount you want, so even if you can only spare a little, just know that you can do that!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:13 pm

I definitely think this is worth contributing to. No matter how much or little people can contribute, it doesn't matter, Ayres is one in a million in the voice acting community, and even though Daman Mills and Derek Stephen Prince have done solid jobs in their own right I don't feel there has been any English-speaking actor to this date who has gotten Freeza quite like Ayres has (Lee Tockar may have but we still need to hear his performance). It would be a devastating loss if we were to lose him. Hopefully everyone here can chip in whatever they can and we can give the man a speedy recovery.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Just donated, so sad to hear that he such a terrible disease. I'm guessing the odds aren't good that he could return to voice acting even if the operation is a success.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:11 am

He works for one of the richest companies around so why the hell don't they help him ? With the millions of $$$ they make every year (them and SONY), you'd think something like this wouldn't even be an issue.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:02 am

sintzu wrote:He works for one of the richest companies around so why the hell don't they help him ? With the millions of $$$ they make every year (them and SONY), you'd think something like this wouldn't even be an issue.
It isn't the company's liability to cover non-work-related medical issues. Unless Gen Fukunaga is like a massive chain smoker or something.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 am

KBABZ wrote:It isn't the company's liability to cover non-work-related medical issues.
So companies just let their own die when they get sick like this ? That's good to know.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:21 am

Man, I knew his condition was bad, but I think it was this bad. I'll give as much as I can.

God speed, Mr Ayres. :(

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 am

I've donated already. I may not be rolling in cash, but if there is any that I spare then I will continue.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 am

sintzu wrote:So companies just let their own die when they get sick like this ? That's good to know.
Dude... the fact that tons and tons of people even have to donate all this money just to help some poor random person through their terminal illness rather than have it just be a basic amenity that's covered by our tax dollars (like the upkeep for roads and highways and the power grid) is PRECISELY what this whole ongoing "healthcare crisis" has been all about in the U.S. for the past 40+ someodd years now, and why a more and more increasing number of people have been steadily waking the hell up to "single payer" as being the sane and sensible option to prevent horrible tragedies like this one from continually happening.

And they do in fact continually happen in the U.S. and have been by the ungodly truckloads for countless decades now.

Welcome to reality. Nice to have you with us.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Welcome to reality. Nice to have you with us.
I've been living abroad nearly all my life due to my father's job so I didn't know how bad things were. I've always assumed Americans and people in the west had it better than most who live in other countries based on all the lecturing they do about human rights but my god was I wrong.

No health care, live in debt to pay for education & live paycheck to paycheck just to pay your rent yet somehow we (I'm American by the way) have rights.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Does Ayres have private health insurance? Or does his job provide health insurance? If the answer is yes to any of these questions then what is he struggling with? Paying the deductible or some of the co-pays?
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:39 pm

sintzu wrote:I've been living abroad nearly all my life due to my father's job so I didn't know how bad things were. I've always assumed Americans and people in the west had it better than most who live in other countries based on all the lecturing they do about human rights but my god was I wrong.
The most charitable way to address that cognitive dissonance is "hypocrisy". The less charitable way is "propaganda".

The most accurate though is "psychological projection". Meaning when someone who furiously preaches and preaches and preaches so much and so intensely fanatically about something as a psychological defense and coping mechanism in order to deflect suspicion away from their own guilt and culpability in going directly against exactly what it is that they're preaching the value of. Like Christian fundamentalist Pastors who go on and on and on about how evil and sinful being gay is when they themselves are fellating random dudes in the truck stop men's room every Saturday.

Or in the case of America, a nation that rants endlessly about freedom and democracy abroad, when it has long ago since eroded its own personal liberties for its regular citizens in the name of batshit paranoid fear over terrorism as well in catering to endless corporate greed and corruption as a result of corporate interests having long, long ago bought off the America political system and rendered it oligarchical (democracy only for the richest people) instead of a true democratic republic (democracy for the voices of the many, of the regular people).
sintzu wrote:No health care, live in debt to pay for education & live paycheck to paycheck just to pay your rent yet somehow we (I'm American by the way) have rights.
People in America, ordinary regular people mind you, have been talking about these problems and trying to address them via political advocacy for literally decades and decades and decades now. What, did you think that THAT many people with NOTHING to gain from it were just somehow LYING about all this for all this time and all these years?

I'm slightly older than a lot of folks here, so I'm saying this from my own personal experience growing up around heavily engaged political activists in the U.S. since the 1980s, since the Reagan era. Its gotten markedly worse since 9/11 granted; but on the whole overall, NONE of this is anything the least bit new. We've been fighting against this lopsided, broken political and economic system for far, far longer than I've been alive (and I'll be 34 in a few days time). People have been "woken" to and engaged with trying to fix these horrific problems since well many years long before the age of the internet, and its always immensely frustrating when people don't realize how long and how hard this fight against corporate corruption in the United States political and economic system has been raging on for.

I'm genuinely far beyond frustrated that its STILL taken so many people, even in the U.S. and even among those who are slammed hard against these problems day in and day out, so absurdly long to understand the reality and nature of those problems and to learn to not listen to the insane propaganda that mainstream American television and radio has fed to them about it for so many years now. The internet has certainly helped, but it also spreads just as much misinformation and muddies the waters as much as it does help. Hence the sort of "fake news" crisis that we're in right now. No one knows who to trust anymore or what information sources are "uncontaminated" by shady agendas.

End of the day, you just need a well-honed bullshit detector, and more than anything else a LOT of varied and harsh life experience to act as a teacher. A great deal of the reason this struggle has lasted for as long as it has with so many people not understanding how bad its been is pure and simple ignorance and people being sheltered by the bubbles of their own personal experience and not allowing themselves to view the world through the eyes of others... particularly others who've had a much rougher go of it than they have had.

"Empathy" in other words.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 pm

GTx10 wrote:Does Ayres have private health insurance? Or does his job provide health insurance? If the answer is yes to any of these questions then what is he struggling with? Paying the deductible or some of the co-pays?
From what I understand, both nowadays don't cover major issues like this anymore.
Kunzait_83 wrote:
[spoiler]The most charitable way to address that cognitive dissonance is "hypocrisy". The less charitable way is "propaganda".

The most accurate though is "psychological projection". Meaning when someone who furiously preaches and preaches and preaches so much and so intensely fanatically about something as a psychological defense and coping mechanism in order to deflect suspicion away from their own guilt and culpability in going directly against exactly what it is that they're preaching the value of. Like Christian fundamentalist Pastors who go on and on and on about how evil and sinful being gay is when they themselves are fellating random dudes in the truck stop men's room every Saturday.

Or in the case of America, a nation that rants endlessly about freedom and democracy abroad, when it has long ago since eroded its own personal liberties for its regular citizens in the name of batshit paranoid fear over terrorism as well in catering to endless corporate greed and corruption as a result of corporate interests having long, long ago bought off the America political system and rendered it oligarchical (democracy only for the richest people) instead of a true democratic republic (democracy for the voices of the many, of the regular people).

People in America, ordinary regular people mind you, have been talking about these problems and trying to address them via political advocacy for literally decades and decades and decades now. What, did you think that THAT many people with NOTHING to gain from it were just somehow LYING about all this for all this time and all these years?

I'm slightly older than a lot of folks here, so I'm saying this from my own personal experience growing up around heavily engaged political activists in the U.S. since the 1980s, since the Reagan era. Its gotten markedly worse since 9/11 granted; but on the whole overall, NONE of this is anything the least bit new. We've been fighting against this lopsided, broken political and economic system for far, far longer than I've been alive (and I'll be 34 in a few days time). People have been "woken" to and engaged with trying to fix these horrific problems since well many years long before the age of the internet, and its always immensely frustrating when people don't realize how long and how hard this fight against corporate corruption in the United States political and economic system has been raging on for.

I'm genuinely far beyond frustrated that its STILL taken so many people, even in the U.S. and even among those who are slammed hard against these problems day in and day out, so absurdly long to understand the reality and nature of those problems and to learn to not listen to the insane propaganda that mainstream American television and radio has fed to them about it for so many years now. The internet has certainly helped, but it also spreads just as much misinformation and muddies the waters as much as it does help. Hence the sort of "fake news" crisis that we're in right now. No one knows who to trust anymore or what information sources are "uncontaminated" by shady agendas.

End of the day, you just need a well-honed bullshit detector, and more than anything else a LOT of varied and harsh life experience to act as a teacher. A great deal of the reason this struggle has lasted for as long as it has with so many people not understanding how bad its been is pure and simple ignorance and people being sheltered by the bubbles of their own personal experience and not allowing themselves to view the world through the eyes of others... particularly others who've had a much rougher go of it than they have had.

"Empathy" in other words.[/spoiler]
I'm happy I'm not the only one who noticed something wrong. After living abroad for so long I got the chance to go there for 6 months for English classes and I was VERY excited to finally be able to go to AMERICA but when I got there the first thing I thought was "this isn't what I was expecting, where's the American dream I've been hearing about all my life" ? I could tell right when I got off the plane that people had it really hard but couldn't figure out if they didn't notice or were just too broken down to care. The media is it full of sh*t. What I saw in commercials was the complete opposite of what I saw outside and at college.

One of my teachers asked if we'd support an expensive american company or a cheap foreign one, he said we should always support the american ones like Apple and I'm like "how does that help you" ? other teachers would complain about having to work too hard and complaining about social issues but they were clearly in the minority

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I shared on Facebook.

This is terrible news. Even though he's a stranger, he is in a nightmare situation and I hope and pray he can be rescued.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I think this should be on the front page as 'news', to make more people aware of what is going on.

I hope Chris Ayres gets the help he needs. This looks very serious. :(

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:13 pm

GTx10 wrote:Does Ayres have private health insurance? Or does his job provide health insurance? If the answer is yes to any of these questions then what is he struggling with? Paying the deductible or some of the co-pays?
To quote the page....

"In spite of being insured, the deductibles, and non covered expenses have been continuous, and are exhausting his and his family’s resources. While it’s hard to determine exactly how much assistance will be needed at this stage of the process, these costs have become a concern."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:13 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
To quote the page....

"In spite of being insured, the deductibles, and non covered expenses have been continuous, and are exhausting his and his family’s resources. While it’s hard to determine exactly how much assistance will be needed at this stage of the process, these costs have become a concern."
You'd think in this day and age a country like America would pay for this kind of thing but I guess not, if you're not rich then you die.