How would you feel if Goku's outfit had varied more?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

How would you feel if Goku's outfit had varied more?

Post by Fizzer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Goku's orange and blue outfit is completely iconic. I can't imagine say the Freeza saga without it, even though he had no reason to be wearing a Turtle-style uniform at any point in Z.

I wouldn't have minded though there'd been more variety and casual clothing when he wasn't preparing to go into a big battle, for example in the first section of the Saiyan arc there was no reason to be hanging around in that outfit. Also, if say in the android arc that look had been switched out for something like the RoF or GT gi, rather than just removing the kanji, that would have felt like progression.

The only thing that really irks me is switching back to the traditional look after introducing the RoF costumes.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How would you feel if Goku's outfit had varied more?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Variety of outfits is something that would totally be welcome in the series. That's one of the major reasons why Heroes is this awesome, the game fixes many problems, in this case; it gives characters other outfits as well (and most of them are hella cool).

Only gods and angels know how I wished Goku and Vegeta kept their Movie 15's clothes longer. Not only it would be better due to those ones being cooler than the older outfits, we'd get Vegetto with other outfit as well.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:33 pm

I always feel like in any series, that a change in clothing is nice. I liked in Spider-Man the Animated Series when he swapped out between the pink and striped shirts. I liked in Batman The Animated Series when he finally started wearing a gray and then black suit instead of the brown and yellow suit. I know it's a pain in the ass to constantly draw different clothing, but I think at least a change in color would make things realistic. Nobody wears the same thing every day... well... Bruce Wayne wouldn't.

I get why Goku wouldn't wear casual clothing. He's a fighter. He never wore casual clothes. So I'm fine with him hanging out in his gi. I'm even fine with him keeping the Turtle gi because that's his homage to his teacher. I get it. I give Toei props, though, for that scene during the Cyborg arc where Goku was hanging around in the blue gi pants, harping back to his early Dragon Ball days.

I think that when Goku is going off to battle, he should wear his Turtle gi, but in his everyday life, I think he should be hanging out in his original blue gi. I think that would be cool.

I didn't really like the Resurrection F changes to the attires. I am not against the change itself, but I found the outfits to be strange. Goku's was fine, but Vegeta's was really weird. For one thing, I don't know why he'd be wearing any sort of armor at this point. The armor itself looked cool, though. I didn't like that gray undershirt that he had, though.

But, wasn't that Whis's training uniforms though? So it would make sense that they wouldn't wear them when not training under Whis. I don't understand why Vegeta would revert to his armored look, though. I think that Goku should have kept the kanji on his gis, maybe have the Whis kanji on the later incarnations.

I am in total support of attire changes, but I understand why Goku, Gohan, and the rest wouldn't change out their battle attires; they're mostly an homage to their teachers. I think that Gohan's gi should be purple with a blue undershirt with the "Go" kanji on the front and back to be dedicated to both Piccolo and his father (his only trainers).

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:44 am

I don't mind Goku wearing his gi throughout, he is a fighter so it fits him. Plus it's now really iconic.

The only times he's had to change his outfit was when he was in space (space suit), picked up by another people (Yadrat), or when he had a job (DBS Dr Slump crossover)

I do wonder though whether his gi can hold all the symbols of the mentors he's had (Turtle School, Kai, Whis).
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:10 am

I've always noticed that when Toriyama draws any of his characters in a non-canon art piece like a title page, the characters are wearing very different clothing from what they normally do. Perhaps that was his way of expressing a need to draw the characters in something different, yet keep the characters inside the pages in the same costumes so that they're always recognizable to the audience?

Goku keeping the same outfit on makes sense considering that he practically always has fighting on his mind, and it probably doesn't even occur to him to wear anything different during the day. Almost all the other characters like Yamcha, Bulma, Krillin, Gohan and such wear different outfits. Heck even Vegeta, a fellow Saiyan, wears casual clothes more often than him, because he's more successfully acclimated to Earth life than Goku has (in certain areas, at least).
DragonBallFoodie wrote:I do wonder though whether his gi can hold all the symbols of the mentors he's had (Turtle School, Kai, Whis).
That's what patterned boxers are for!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:45 am

I miss Gokû's RoF dougi. I default to it in fanart (and occasionally his DBH dougi which I think is a cool winter option).

I also really like his EoZ blue and teal dougi, but I feel like we'll never see that one in Super.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:48 am

He did wear casual clothing while hanging out with Gohan and waiting for the Cell Games to begin, but I'm unsure if that's filler or not so it may not count. Otherwise, I agree that it makes sense for Goku to wear fighting clothes all the time due to his obsession with fighting, but even a change in that appearance would be welcome. Honestly, I really liked his blue uniform at the end of Z. I wish they'd bring it back and make it his permanent outfit, especially since it'd match SS Blue. Maybe they can if they do a time skip or something.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Only problem I have with Goku's Gi is the coloring in the anime, and I would've preferred it if he just had the Kame kanji.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 pm

He and Vegeta should have stuck with their RoF outfits. I'd love it if Goku moved to his final Z outfit sometime soon.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:25 pm

I just wish they would have kept the ROF outfits for both Goku and Vegeta. SSJ blue not only looked the best in those outfits but it's also a refreshing but still familiar look for those characters.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:53 pm

The turtle school gi is iconic but I always kind of enjoyed seeing Goku in other outfits, e.g. battle armour in the time chamber and casual clothes in filler. I'm sure Goku owns clothes besides his gi (unless he just has 20 different gis that look the exact same) but they're only worn for extremely special purposes.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:44 am

We've had his farm job clothes seen quite regularly and some one off's like his baseball get up.

Also had track suit Goku for a tiny bit, wish he fought Beerus R1 in that at least.

Goku's old gi is fine, I just wish they went back to the Namek look of having the belt back at least. Maybe different Kanji too.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Absolute nothing, Goku (and his co) changing clothes is an overrated and overstated in this fandom.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Goku's old gi is fine, I just wish they went back to the Namek look of having the belt back at least. Maybe different Kanji too.
But that's harder to animate! :lol:

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Costume changes can give the same sense of progression that timeskips can. The outfit changes in Resurrection F were much welcome, and I'd be up for more things like that.

EDIT: I think my main grievance is with Gohan's clothes. Gohan never studied under Master Roshi. I think maybe he should have kept the Piccolo-esque style of clothing he wore from the Saiyan to Cell arcs.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:13 pm

As often as Goku sticks to some form or other of the classic orange & blue Kame dogi, I think people in here might also be taking a tad bit for granted just how many different various outfits and looks we've seen Goku sport over the course of the entirety of the series.

Going just off the top of my head from things we see him wear on-panel and on-screen in the main manga and anime series/films alone (as in not even counting looks that are exclusive to video games or cover art or advertising and whatnot):

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

I mean, for as often as he's in an orange & blue dogi, that's still a fair bit of variety all things considered.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Image
Huh, what episode is that one from? A Z flashback?

(also that reminds me of how much I dislike the Shu outfit)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:22 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Goku's old gi is fine, I just wish they went back to the Namek look of having the belt back at least. Maybe different Kanji too.
The belt? I don't see how since the RF gi had it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
The belt? I don't see how since the RF gi had it.
The loose strands of the belt constitute to secondary animation that would have to be drawn in. The sash is basically the belt without the loose stuff. I suspect that the symbol on the front of the gi was also removed because it was complicated to draw that all the time as well.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:29 am

Chuquita wrote:I miss Gokû's RoF dougi. I default to it in fanart (and occasionally his DBH dougi which I think is a cool winter option).

I also really like his EoZ blue and teal dougi, but I feel like we'll never see that one in Super.
I miss the RoF outfits too! They should have been kept at least through Future Trunks arc. I’m fine with Goku going back to his classic look for the ToP and considering he will be shirtless, that definitely looks better on his classic outfit.

As for the EoZ Blue gi, I like that one, though I also believe they will get rid of it if Super ever reaches that point. I would be fine with Goku using it for a long arc focused on his training with Uub/training U6 Saiyans. And if Goku ever gets retired, then he should stay in that dougi to give fans a visual clue that Goku has become a master.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical