Hiromi Tsuru, Bulma's voice actor, has passed away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Hiromi Tsuru, Bulma's voice actor, has passed away.

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:19 am

31 years of a legend, gone after a long health decline. While I recognized her voice as Bulma and Bra, her tremendous work was amazing and I was shocked to see her tragic end.

I wonder Bulma's English-language voice actresses, Tiffany Vollmer and Monica Rial react to Tsuru's passing.

Godspeed Himori Tsuru. 1960-2017.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Found this image on facebook let me see if I can get it to work
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Figured I'd change up my avatar to my favorite look for Bulma to honor Hiromi Tsuru. Planning on using it till the end of the year.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:21 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:31 years of a legend, gone after a long health decline. While I recognized her voice as Bulma and Bra, her tremendous work was amazing and I was shocked to see her tragic end.

I wonder Bulma's English-language voice actresses, Tiffany Vollmer and Monica Rial react to Tsuru's passing.

Godspeed Himori Tsuru. 1960-2017.
From Ms. Rial's fanpage as she put it:
So sad to hear about the passing of Hiromi Tsuru. Even though we’ve never met, I’ve always felt a connection to her in the booth. She was an amazing actress and I was lucky to get to work off of her performance. I’m heartbroken. I will truly miss hearing her voice.
There was also a heart emoji after it.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:56 pm

I hope there would be a tribute or a moment of silence for the passing of Hiromi Tsuru on this week's episode of Dragonball Super. It's the least they could do.
The world is your's.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Gouri Daisuke didn't get anything when he died. I wouldn't hold out for any tributes to Tsuru Hiromi.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

"Everyone, good luck! We're counting on you, everyone."

If it's any consolation, I don't feel like these are the worst final words a person could possibly have. I mean...if I were a voice actor, and I was unknowingly saying my final words to everyone who's listened to me for 30+ years...I'd rather get to say something meaningful, rather than something like "where's the toilet paper?", or something mundane like that.

If nothing else, I'm sure Hiromi Tsuru is grateful for what she got to say while she was alive. I can't imagine she has any regrets about getting to say goodbye.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:48 pm

I came here just to find confirmation that this was a joke or something.........oh well :(

Rest in peace Hiromi Tsuru, you won't be forgotten.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:49 pm

There was a tribute message for the tragic passing of Hiromi Tsuru at the end of the latest episode of Dragon Ball Super (Episode 116):

Translated:

"Hiromi Tsuru-san, who voiced the character “Bulma” in the Dragon Ball TV anime franchise for many years, has passed away.

Tsuru-san gave her courage and kindness to countless people of all ages, and we sincerely pray that she rests in peace."

All credit to Herms for this.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:14 pm

I wonder if there was any tribute for Miyauchi and Gori, when they respectively died in 1995 and 2010?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 pm

DB1984 wrote:I wonder if there was any tribute for Miyauchi and Gori, when they respectively died in 1995 and 2010?
1995 is possible due to the end of Dragon Ball Z's run during that time. 2010 I think is more unlikely as there wasn't a major Dragon Ball production during that year; the JSAT special was 2008 and BoG was 2013.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:20 pm

KBABZ wrote:
DB1984 wrote:I wonder if there was any tribute for Miyauchi and Gori, when they respectively died in 1995 and 2010?
1995 is possible due to the end of Dragon Ball Z's run during that time. 2010 I think is more unlikely as there wasn't a major Dragon Ball production during that year; the JSAT special was 2008 and BoG was 2013.
Uh, Kai was airing that year.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Also, I wonder if they will actually retire Bulma? Didn't Hideo Kojima retire Colonel Campbell from the Metal Gear Solid series after Takeshi Aono's death?

And don't forget that both Tsuru and Aono worked on the Japanese version of MGS; Tsuru was the voice of Dr. Naomi Hunter.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Bulma's been too integral to all the arcs in Super until the start of this tournament; I can't see them back seating her. Maybe they'll work extra hard to get a good replacement, but I can't see her getting a smaller role.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Chuquita wrote:but I can't see her getting a smaller role.
Not smaller, switch roles with Chi-Chi. Let her get all this special treatment Bulma got over the decades. Let the viewers bear Chi-Chi's yelling over and over with Goku and Goten! XD
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:31 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Chuquita wrote:but I can't see her getting a smaller role.
Not smaller, switch roles with Chi-Chi. Let her get all this special treatment Bulma got over the decades. Let the viewers bear Chi-Chi's yelling over and over with Goku and Goten! XD
Chi-Chi's current voice isn't as fun as her previous one though; Mayumi Sho's Chi-Chi has the more likable voice compared to her current one, imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:50 pm

DB1984 wrote:Also, I wonder if they will actually retire Bulma? Didn't Hideo Kojima retire Colonel Campbell from the Metal Gear Solid series after Takeshi Aono's death?

And don't forget that both Tsuru and Aono worked on the Japanese version of MGS; Tsuru was the voice of Dr. Naomi Hunter.
I don't think Akira or Toei will retire one of the central characters of the franchise that appeared since the beginning. It's possible the writers will just "put her on a bus" until a new actress is cast.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:56 pm

Tian wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Uh, Kai was airing that year.
D'oh!!
Tian wrote:I don't think Akira or Toei will retire one of the central characters of the franchise that appeared since the beginning. It's possible the writers will just "put her on a bus" until a new actress is cast.
I think Bulma is one of those roles who can be put into a background character position until she's ready to be a speaking role again.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 am

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 pm

That post from Hujio hits home. The voices of Nozawa, Tsuru and Yanami are the heart and soul of Dragon Ball to me for close to 20 years at this point. They've been there from the very beginning and throughout the entire series, so this one really hurts.

Unfortunately I don't have any artistic ability whatsoever, so I can't draw any tribute art. However, I felt the least I could do is dedicate my weekly Dragon Ball Super youtube review this week to the memory of Hiromi Tsuru. I hope this doesn't come off as advertising for my channel or anything like that, I've avoided posting my reviews here in the past in fear of coming off that way. But I really wanted to share this with others. For this week's episode, I specifically disabled monetization on the video, as that didn't feel right to me. So I'm hoping the Tsuru tribute that I prepared, which plays for the first 2 minutes of the video, is not interrupted by ads for anyone.

The tribute/review video can be found here!

You will never be forgotten Tsuru-san!