Hiromi Tsuru, Bulma's voice actor, has passed away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Hiromi Tsuru, Bulma's voice actor, has passed away.

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 am

This is rough. Along with Masako Nozawa, she has been part of the series longer than anyone, with it from the very beginning. The fact that she was only 57 too is a damn shame.

It's unlikely, but I hope she at least got to record Bulma and Bra's final lines for this arc of Super. If not that, then her final performance will be for FighterZ next year.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 am

Disbelief. Utterly unexpected. I don't know what to say beyond that. Just wanted to pay my respects.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 am

I... I... I don't know how to process this...

I just... I can't believe she's gone. This was so out of left field, and the worst kind of news to wake up to.

Rest in peace, Hiromi Tsuru. :cry:
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:18 am

This came completely out of nowhere and I honestly thought it was fake at first. This is probably the biggest loss yet and it's difficult to process. :(

I don't think this is going to be enough to drop Bulma from the series or end it or anything like that. Japan has a tremendous amount of great voice talent that could step up to the role. We will find out towards the end of the arc, I guess.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:30 am

Apparently this was one of the last lines she recorded or the last one:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:41 am

rereboy wrote:Apparently this was one of the last lines she recorded or the last one:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It just makes her passing all the more tragic. :cry:

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:51 am

Awful new to wake up to. Soul crushing. Bulma is in my top 3 all time DB characters. Hiromi Tsuru's voice is so iconic to me.

R.I.P. Thanks for all your work.

SsjRavi

Post by SsjRavi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 am

Horrible news to wake up to, both shocking and incredibly sad.

R.I.P. Hiromi, you will not be forgotten and will be missed.
"No. A sword is a weapon. Kenjutsu is the art of killing. Whatever pretty words you use to speak of it, this is its true nature. What Miss Kaoru says are the words of one who has never dirtied her hands. An idealistic joke. But, I like Miss Kaoru's idealism better than its true nature. If one can ask so much, I want the world to accept this joke as its true nature."
- Himura Kenshin

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 am

This is really sad, losing one of the originals. RIP Hitomi.

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:01 am

This is sad, especially since it was so unexpected. And to think it was not too long ago she began working on Dragon Ball in 1986. To commemorate, here's photo from that time:

Sorry for the low quality, my scanner isn't very good. It's from Weekly Shonen Jump Issue 12 from 1986 released on February 17, 1986.

She was a fine actress, and she was even able to voice baby Ma-Junior. Her convincing and memorable acting was the highlight of the first arc. I'm glad that we at least can hear her performance any time we want by revisiting the series. Rest in peace.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 am

And she was so young too, RIP :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 am

Her voice is all I hear if I see a picture of Bulma and it's been that way for quite some time. So sad.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 pm

This is shocking, tragic news.

I don't know which worse, her passing away at a moderately young age or the way she died (a heart attack while driving).

RIP Ms Tsuru. Thank you for Bulma, and for your other awesome roles.

While she was not a favourite of mine, Tsuru carved a definite place in seiyuu history. I think she greatly contributed to developing the princess stereotype in anime: a beautiful heroine who was vain and could be selfish at times, but who was strong and smart and kind, and could handle herself in serious situations. Some of Tsuru's best roles were on this role: Ukyo Kuonji from Ranma ½, Madoka Ayukawa from Kimagure Orange Road, Meryl Strife from Trigun (though she played this more straight), Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and of course Bulma.

God rest your soul Ms Tsuru.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

She's been there since the fucking beggining. She was there before Vegeta and even KRILLIN! This is just awful.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm

It's news that is certainly hard to process, even a day later. She was far, far too young and my condolences go out to her family and friends. She had an absolutely fantastic career and she will be missed. Rest in peace.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Bulma's Seiyuu Passed Away

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Makes you think how fragile humans life are and how tomorrow is never a guarantee.
May her rest in peace. :cry:
I was just saying this very same thing this morning to another friend of mine who knows someone with brain issues. :( that's why I spend as much time taking care of my grandparents as I can because my pappaw was always like a dad to me and when he got Alzheimer's I made it my goal that I want to take care of him when he needs me the most. I stopped caring about a lot of things in life when that happened. I know people will laugh at me and disagree with me and that's fine but I like to think she went to a better place with no suffering and she will live on for ages for fans for as long as the show is popular and longer.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I know people will laugh at me and disagree with me and that's fine...
There's nothing fine about people turning their back on others when they need them, that's for sure. people like you are hard to come by so I'm always happy to read about people willing to look out for others. So many social issues would go away if there were more like you around.
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Sad news for her folk and her fans. Can't really say I was a fan of her work, but I respect the years she put into it, and that's not counting her other projects.

I know that Tien Shin Han's voice actor has also passed away a few years ago. Are there any other members of the core cast who have passed away?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:13 pm

sintzu wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:I know people will laugh at me and disagree with me and that's fine...
There's nothing fine about people turning their back on others when they need them, that's for sure. people like you are hard to come by so I'm always happy to read about people willing to look out for others. So many social issues would go away if there were more like you around.
Well I meant Fine of them disagreeing with me on the religious aspect. I'm thinking of buying a bulma figure though in her memory so I can put next to my Goku statue. I don't buy many figures at all haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Really sad news, specially for how young she was and how unexpected her death has been for her loved ones.

I feel as if Bulma herself had died, and I had know her for most of my life. It's weird, because I didn't grow up with Tsuru's voice, but that's how it feels.
Last edited by Majin Jator on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.