Hiromi Tsuru, Bulma's voice actor, has passed away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Hiromi Tsuru, Bulma's voice actor, has passed away.

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:33 pm

KBABZ wrote:Image
This is actually one of my favorite shots of Bulma in the whole series (aside from the first shot of her in the Ma Junior-era ending credits). Heartbreakingly apt use for it right now. :cry: :cry:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Really tragic and unfortunate news. :cry: My sympathies to her family, friends and coworkers.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:[image]
This is actually one of my favorite shots of Bulma in the whole series (aside from the first shot of her in the Ma Junior-era ending credits). Heartbreakingly apt use for it right now. :cry: :cry:
Yeah. As I mentioned elsewhere, it feels appropriate given that right now Bulma doesn't have a voice. I have always wondered why it was changed to her putting down her pistol in the second credits.

My favourite shot of Bulma is the one a few shots later of her looking out the rainy window with a smile. The final shot of the credits in particular of the Capsule house at night whilst the music reaches its conclusion is also quite special for me, because it's the reminder of how I originally watched Dragon Ball for the first time: 8:00 on Saturdays eating pizza with my sister. We managed to watch almost the entirety of the show like that, with the exception of a break during the Muscle Tower arc since that bit was (and IMO still is) spectacularly boring in places, and we came in as they discovered the Pirate Cave.

I don't have a lot of familiarity with the third edition of the credits because A) I'm a dubby, and B) Our channel never actually got that far into the story in the first place, ending its run right on the one where Krillin dies.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Its so heartbreaking to see even Kunzait is at a loss for words here. I really dont want to even think how many more will we lose over the years.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:33 pm

KBABZ wrote:I don't have a lot of familiarity with the third edition of the credits because A) I'm a dubby, and B) Our channel never actually got that far into the story in the first place, ending its run right on the one where Krillin dies.
This is the shot I was thinking of.

Here's the full ending since you haven't seen it apparently.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:45 pm

That's such a beautiful ending, and it's a cryin' shame that FUNimation never used it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Oh yes I have seen it at this point, thanks to buying the DB Dragon Box. It helps a lot with sort of legitimizing the fact that the cast is now older, Goku and Krillin in particular, after so many episodes with them as kids, and it's a nice change of pace overall. It's a shame there wasn't a similar thing done for the intro!
Metalwario64 wrote:That's such a beautiful ending, and it's a cryin' shame that FUNimation never used it.
I agree, the evolution of the intros and outros is really cool, and even necessary considering the story moves away from the initial arc (which the first intro was crafted for) and into grander adventures. Or just different outfits, like Goku going from blue to orange.

I don't think Toei provided Funi with anything else though. I suspect the reason why the DB Dragon Box only has creditless versions of the first intro and second outro is because those happen to be the ones they made for Funi in the 2000s, which was quite close to when the Dragon Boxes were first made.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Very sad news indeed. May she rest in peace.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:13 am

You know, I just thought of something; and I think you'll like it. You guys know me as a person who likes the dub, and REALLY loves the Team Faulconer OST, right? Well, I can tell you this; while there were a lot of actors I liked better in the FUNi version, there were also a lot of others that I liked a lot better in the Original version; and Hiromi Tsuru's Bulma was one of the most striking examples of that.

Really; I don't know how she did it, but she actually managed to capture all of Bulma's most pre-dominant traits, while also putting in a sort of sweetness to the quality of her voice. She covered all the points that our English Bulmas had; but also was pleasant to listen to in a way that not even Monica Rial has managed. She was, therefore, one of the actors I have always enjoyed listening to the most.

Besides that, I could always tell she was a great actor, even with the language divide. Whether it was gag scenes, sweet scenes, angry scenes...all that other stuff, Hiromi Tsuru could do it all. I still remember that one scene with her trying to seduce Zamasu; that was absolutely hilarious :lol: !
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:23 am

also there is a song by Hiromi Tsuru in Hit Collection IV, here at 30:40
Fionordequester wrote: I still remember that one scene with her trying to seduce Zamasu; that was absolutely hilarious :lol: !

also her Seducing General Blue was hilarious.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 am

Ripper 30 wrote:also there is a song by Hiromi Tsuru in Hit Collection IV, here at 30:40
Fionordequester wrote: I still remember that one scene with her trying to seduce Zamasu; that was absolutely hilarious :lol: !

Timecoded link: https://youtu.be/WH5vPM4jOd4?t=1847

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 am

Kotaku snapped the image shown in Super's memorial to Hiromi Tsuru. Paid enough attention to detail to colour teenage Bulma's hair the same colour as in DB/DBZ, rather than her hair colour in Super.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 am

KBABZ wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:also there is a song by Hiromi Tsuru in Hit Collection IV, here at 30:40

Timecoded link: https://youtu.be/WH5vPM4jOd4?t=1847
do you know how to do timecoded link?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am

Ripper 30 wrote:do you know how to do timecoded link?
It's quite simple! Right-click on a YouTube video and click "Copy video URL at current time".

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:38 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:do you know how to do timecoded link?
It's quite simple! Right-click on a YouTube video and click "Copy video URL at current time".
i meant that f you knew how to put exact timing into the link on Mobile

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Here's a fragment of the video concerning some other anime. Hiromi Tsuru can be seen here for around 10 seconds talking and also throughout the video, but not saying much:

https://youtu.be/SsjPioSdceE?t=188

This was in May 1986 according to the video, so around the time the 21st Tournament arc was beginning to air. I don't know, I find comfort in searching for her pictures and videos from the 80's/90's when she was younger. I hope I didn't offend anyone on this delicate subject and sorry it's not very Dragon Ball related.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 pm

tronk21 wrote:Here's a fragment of the video concerning some other anime. Hiromi Tsuru can be seen here for around 10 seconds talking and also throughout the video, but not saying much:

https://youtu.be/SsjPioSdceE?t=188

This was in May 1986 according to the video, so around the time the 21st Tournament arc was beginning to air. I don't know, I find comfort in searching for her pictures and videos from the 80's/90's when she was younger. I hope I didn't offend anyone on this delicate subject and sorry it's not very Dragon Ball related.
Looks to be Gall Force. I also see Naoko Watanabe in there.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:37 pm

No way... at loss of words. I remember how sad I was having lost Daisuke Gori as voice of Satan... I still miss him every time I hear the new voice actor in Super or recent games...
I am always afraid that we will lose Masako Nozawa, as I can't imagine that at all, as she is still in her prime with voice acting tough being at grand age, but we lose younger people every day
and I am still in high hopes that everyone is doing well and wish them health...

But I've never expected this. Hiromi Tsuru was always sounding the same as she did being younger and as with Goku, Vegeta, Freeza and Piccolo, she is iconic voice of Bulma for me... for almost two decades now.
Wow... I can't imagine her being replaced :(
She was ony of my favorite actresses portraying strong women in anime and I loved her voice, suiting a powerful woman,there are not many like her in anime industry in Japan.

I will miss her, truly.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 pm

MCDaveG wrote:No way... at loss of words. I remember how sad I was having lost Daisuke Gori as voice of Satan... I still miss him every time I hear the new voice actor in Super or recent games...
I am always afraid that we will lose Masako Nozawa, as I can't imagine that at all, as she is still in her prime with voice acting tough being at grand age, but we lose younger people every day
and I am still in high hopes that everyone is doing well and wish them health...

But I've never expected this. Hiromi Tsuru was always sounding the same as she did being younger and as with Goku, Vegeta, Freeza and Piccolo, she is iconic voice of Bulma for me... for almost two decades now.
She was ony of my favorite actresses portraying strong women in anime and I loved her voice, suiting a powerful woman,there are not many like her in anime industry in Japan.

I will miss her, truly.
I wouldn't describe her bulma voice as strong or powerful when I think strong female voice I think of (18 or blonde lunch), but more cute and adventurous as teenage/young adult bulma and sexy caring and motherly around the cell arc. That's not to take away from her legendary status It's just my impression of her performance.

If Nozawa passes away during Supers run I would probably stop watching and maybe just watch online reviews.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:No way... at loss of words. I remember how sad I was having lost Daisuke Gori as voice of Satan... I still miss him every time I hear the new voice actor in Super or recent games...

I will miss her, truly.
I wouldn't describe her bulma voice as strong or powerful when I think strong female voice I think of (18 or blonde lunch), but more cute and adventurous as teenage/young adult bulma and sexy caring and motherly around the cell arc. That's not to take away from her legendary status It's just my impression of her performance.

If Nozawa passes away during Supers run I would probably stop watching and maybe just watch online reviews.
more like a sweet playful princess voice.