Hiromi Tsuru, Bulma's voice actor, has passed away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mfwlegend3
Regular

Re: Hiromi Tsuru, Bulma's voice actor, has passed away.

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:25 am

precita wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:I could only imagine how Nozawa feels, considering Dragon Ball began with both her and Tsuru. Like everyone else, she must be very heartbroken.
Did Nozawa release a statement? I think she would definitely have something very touching and important to say.
Not that we know of, no. The only other seiyuu to comment has been Toshio Furukawa (Piccolo) and Ryo Horikawa (Vegeta).

Toshio Furukawa:
"Humanity is so sad, Lord, and the ocean so blue."
Ryo Horikawa:
"This is truly a bolt out of the blue! Absolutely unbelievable! It’s such a shame, since I’ve been in so many different series with her. My deepest condolences."
Last edited by mfwlegend3 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:26 am

Absolutely gutted by the news of Hiromi Tsuru passing away. I hope the best for her family and friends.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:29 am

Was wondering why there was a flood of Bulma posts on the dokkan subreddit, then saw one that said RIP.

I can't believe it, how unexpected...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:37 am

It shows that anyone can go, even someone this young. We were all thinking and worried about Nozawa then this happens. R.I.P.

They probably have Nozawa's replacement on standby but there's no way they could've expected this so we won't be seeing Bulma anytime soon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:02 am

Been listening to Romantic Ageru yo on repeat. R.I.P Hiromi Tsuru. :(

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 am

Wow this is awful she was great as Bulma. I loved how young sounding her voice was it's going to be weird not having her in Super anymore. I hope the community will welcome whoever unfortunately has to replace her with open arms. RIP Bulma :'(

Vorige Waffe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vorige Waffe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:21 am

Undoubtedly a great loss for this franchise. First time I heard Tsuru was on a VHS fansub tape back from the Android arc. She was pitch perfect as Bulma, and I know it's gonna be tough finding someone to fill in her shoes as Bulma, a character that's been tied to Dragon Ball right from the start over 30 years ago. Additionally, she also played key roles in some of other great stuff, like Leona Ozaki in Dominion Tank Police, Kiddy in Silent Mobius, and Lufy in Gall Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udqdYcinUW0

Probably my favorite example of her talent was in the first Dragon Ball movie. Her chemistry with Nozawa was just great. We've really lost one of anime's all time greats.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 am

Very shocking and sad news, the other actors she has worked with must be very torn up but still have to keep doing their job like normal, it must be heartbreaking for them, especially Ryo Horikawa who was in Ghost Sweeper Mikami with her as well as DB, and of course Masako Nozawa who has been working with her for over 30 years in this series. She never lost any energy in her role as Bulma, RIP.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:21 am

I'm at a loss for words on this one. 57 is WAY too young still. And she always came across IRL as one of the most youthful and vibrant people among the Japanese cast.

Tsuru, like the rest of the Dragon Ball voice cast, was an industry veteran and has a CV chock full of an impossibly dizzying array of classic, milestone anime and memorable roles.

Space Adventure Cobra, Arcadia of My Youth, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Kinnikuman, Cat's Eye, Maison Ikkoku, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Dominion Tank Police, Demon City Shinjuku, City Hunter, Gall Force, Ranma 1/2, Devil Hunter Yohko, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Silent Mobius, Trigun... Jesus fuck. The list just goes on and on and on and on.

Beyond just Bulma, my generation of anime fans will probably always remember her most fondly as Ukyo Kuonji, the hyper-manically enthusiastic and competitive kung fu chef from Ranma (and easily by far and away my favorite female character in that whole series); Leona Ozaki, the well-meaning and optimistic rookie officer and main character of Dominion Tank Police; Reiko Mikami, the money-minded, business-savvy title character of Ghost Sweeper Mikami; Sayoko Mano, the somewhat bitter and cringingly blunt mother of the title character in Devil Hunter Yohko; and Kiddy Phenil, the hardass, tougher than nails cyborg brawler from Silent Mobius.

Even just looking over some of her best known roles, she had a TON of incredible range as an actress. She was always an immense treat to listen to in every anime I've ever seen her show up in (which is an awful, awful, awful lot) since as far back as I can remember.

This really, REALLY sucks. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones. :cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP
3/29/60 - 11/16/17
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 am

Ouch! What a punch to the guts! Hisomi Tsuru is, if not the other big voice of the franchise and this really hurts. Her final line recorded carries a whole different meaning now. :(
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:The legendary voice actress Hiromi Tsuru has unexpectedly passed away. She was famous as a voice actress for Bulma since the original Dragon Ball began running in 1986. This is very heartbreaking news. Her last appearance as Bulma was Episode #96 of Dragon Ball Super just before the Tournament of Power began.

Source.

Translation from Herms:
At around 7:30pm on November 16th, Hiromi Tsuru was found unconscious in her car on the metropolitan expressway in Chuuouku, Tokyo, and was taken to a hospital where she was pronounced dead.

She was found with her seatbelt fastened, and there was no sign of an accident. The Metropolitan Police Department are investigating the cause of death, and say it may have been due to illness.
Such sad news. Dragon Ball will never be the same again.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:38 am

Never understood how some people could be affected by the death of celebrities until now. Rest in peace.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:05 am

Sushio, an animator for Studio Trigger who animated and directed anime such as Kill La Kill, honors Tsuru by drawing Bulma.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Yusuke Murata, artist for One Punch-Man, also pays respects with own small sketch of Bulma.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by mfwlegend3 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:06 am

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2100812/

Cause of death officially confirmed to be aortic dissection.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 am

it's so sad and Shocking to hear. she was one of the most recognizable female voices. RIP Hiromi Tsuru the Original Blooma. 57 is too young to die. condolences to her family and friends.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 am

This is heartbreaking.

Rest in peace.

My thoughts go out to her, and her family and friends.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 am

Damn. Not news I was hoping to wake up to today :( R.i.P. Condolences to her and her family.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:02 am

I made a video compilation of several Bulma-related music tracks in her memory. I didn't really know what to call it, so I just named it Bulma. The tracks are several pieces of Kikuchi's that do the Romanticu Ageru Yo theme, then Over the Star, followed by Kimi o Wasurenai. It concludes with the original Romanticu Ageru Yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hidqPyH ... e=youtu.be

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 am

Heard about the news a few hours ago, it’s a damn shame man, condolences to the family and may she Rest In Peace...

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:10 am

This is just shocking news to hear. Unlike most of the fandom, i was exposed to her through clips and most of the videos games. My condolences goes out to her family.
Rest in peace, Hiromi Tsuru
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/