Remembering the end of Dragon Ball GT 20 years ago (and a surprise for the hardcore fans)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Remembering the end of Dragon Ball GT 20 years ago (and a surprise for the hardcore fans)

Post by DB1984 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:33 pm

It was 20 years ago on November 19, 1997 that the 64th and final episode of Dragon Ball GT aired. It was titled Farewell, Goku... 'Till the Day We Meet Again. After Shenlong decided to leave earth and take the Dragon Balls with him, feeling that he can't allow everyone to overuse them again, he had Goku accompany him, entrusting Vegeta to become the new savior of the Earth. Goku then stopped by to stay goodbye to everyone, and became one with Shenlong, and vanished. 100 years later, a much elder Pan and Vegeta Jr.'s mother were seen watching a tournament with Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. Pan thought she saw Goku (now an adult again), but he was nowhere to be seen.

Then, Goku was shown walking through the crowd, and a montage of all of Goku's memorable moments were shown, set to Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku. A special set of credits scrolled from right to left, showing EVERY single Seiyuu involved with Dragon Ball (video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGJB5E-1pvM

After one last commercial break, viewers were then shown a preview of the first episode of The New Dr. Slump narrated by Goku and Arale, followed by one last playing of the 4th end credits w/ Wands' Rusted Machine Gun (video below; not seen on YouTube until a few months ago, and yes, this was the surprise I was alluding to in the title of this thread).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBb0li6peaY

And that was it. That was the end of the TV adaptation of Dragon Ball, after over 11 years of being appointment viewing for Japanese children on Wednesday nights, with a combined total of 508 episodes, 17 movies in theaters, and 3 TV specials. And it would certainly seem that way.

...Until 11 years later.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Remembering the end of Dragon Ball GT 20 years ago (and a surprise for the hardcore fans)

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 pm

With it being such a special date it would've been a good idea to release some book to celebrate it, going into things behind the scenes on how they came up with the ideas and what they would've done had the show went for longer.

Although it gets a lot of hate from fans which is understandable in some cases, I'll always give GT major credit for 3 things :

1- Telling a story first.

2- Not relying on Transformations.

3- Ending DB and Goku's story.

I am happy to see it getting pushed by Bandai for modern fans cause it's still a part of the franchise and I think it should be watched at least once. Sure it had issues doing what it wanted to do but no one can deny the efforts and passion behind it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Re: Remembering the end of Dragon Ball GT 20 years ago (and a surprise for the hardcore fans)

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:54 pm

These moments alone put GT's ending above Z's for me.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Plus, that amazing soundtrack? Gorgeous. I also thought Goku leaving with Shenron was a nice touch, even though it was open for interpretation on what exactly happened to Goku and what agreement he had with Shenron, anyways. I'll go for Toyo's idea, since it'll probably never be explained.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:These moments alone put GT's ending above Z's for me.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Plus, that amazing soundtrack? Gorgeous. I also thought Goku leaving with Shenron was a nice touch, even though it was open for interpretation on what exactly happened to Goku and what agreement he had with Shenron, anyways. I'll go for Toyo's idea, since it'll probably never be explained.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
But we already have an answer that Goku has entered a state of existence with which he is different from what we have known him before as. They did not say something like "he is neither dead nor alive" but still the interview that roamed kanzenshuu recently gives quite some revelation about the thoughts behind the scene.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Cetra wrote:But we already have an answer that Goku has entered a state of existence with which he is different from what we have known him before as. They did not say something like "he is neither dead nor alive" but still the interview that roamed kanzenshuu recently gives quite some revelation about the thoughts behind the scene.
Is that so? It's interesting. I have read the interview from Nozawa that dates back years ago which she said something along the lines of, "I thank them for not saying he outright died. I'd like to think he's training with Shenron in some the world."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:05 pm

DB1984 wrote:It was 20 years ago on November 19, 1997 that the 64th and final episode of Dragon Ball GT aired. It was titled Farewell, Goku... 'Till the Day We Meet Again. After Shenlong decided to leave earth and take the Dragon Balls with him, feeling that he can't allow everyone to overuse them again, he had Goku accompany him, entrusting Vegeta to become the new savior of the Earth. Goku then stopped by to stay goodbye to everyone, and became one with Shenlong, and vanished. 100 years later, a much elder Pan and Vegeta Jr.'s mother were seen watching a tournament with Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. Pan thought she saw Goku (now an adult again), but he was nowhere to be seen.

Then, Goku was shown walking through the crowd, and a montage of all of Goku's memorable moments were shown, set to Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku. A special set of credits scrolled from right to left, showing EVERY single Seiyuu involved with Dragon Ball (video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGJB5E-1pvM

After one last commercial break, viewers were then shown a preview of the first episode of The New Dr. Slump narrated by Goku and Arale, followed by one last playing of the 4th end credits w/ Wands' Rusted Machine Gun (video below; not seen on YouTube until a few months ago, and yes, this was the surprise I was alluding to in the title of this thread).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBb0li6peaY

And that was it. That was the end of the TV adaptation of Dragon Ball, after over 11 years of being appointment viewing for Japanese children on Wednesday nights, with a combined total of 508 episodes, 17 movies in theaters, and 3 TV specials. And it would certainly seem that way.

...Until 11 years later.
That preview was hardly a surprise...