Dragon Ball GT: A Personal Assessment (20 Year Anniversary)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball GT: A Personal Assessment (20 Year Anniversary)

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball - 9.5/10
Dragon Ball Z - 9/10
Dragon Ball Super - 8/10 (As of Episode 116)
Dragon Ball GT - 7/10
Funny thing is, aside from the fact I'd bump Super down to a 6/10(As of episode 103), this is exactly how I'd rate the shows too. :D

A very interesting read overall, although the use of "Nuova Shenron" instead of Si Xing Long really bothers me. :P ("Su Shin Long", and to a lesser extent "Su Shinron" and "Su Shenron" would also be acceptable)
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's recently been realising that the hate for GT is pretty undeserved. It's by no means a great show, and it's definitely a step down from DB and Z, but it's by no means bad, and there's a lot of really awesome stuff in it... It's a good show.

Plus, goddamn that music is amazing... Just... Wow, the music... Seriously... 10/10 music.

In regards to the Kai-ification argument, GT's issues couldn't be fixed with a simple fan edit. If you wanted to improve GT, you'd have to make entirely new replacements for a couple of episodes in the Black Dragon Ball arc, the Lord Lood material would need some reworking(Replacing the Don-Para brothers and Doltakki being the most obvious changes), put some heavy fixes on the couple or three episodes that had poor animation, pretty much completely rework the Super #17 arc, replace Liang Xing Long(The first dragon), Wu Xing Long(The lightning dragon), and rework Qi Xing Long(The one that absorbs Pan). (I think Qi Xing Long could be made to work, and I don't think his episodes are that bad. But yeah, I think he could have been much more interesting if handled differently)
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

DSB wrote:Well since you are a Big shot here we should just believe you...
It's just an opinion, you don't have to go with it just because he has more posts than you do.
Robo4900 wrote:In regards to the Kai-ification argument, GT's issues couldn't be fixed with a simple fan edit. If you wanted to improve GT, you'd have to make entirely new replacements for a couple of episodes in the Black Dragon Ball arc, the Lord Lood material would need some reworking(Replace the Don-Para brothers and Doltakki, put some heavy fixes on the couple or three episodes that had poor animation, pretty much completely rework the Super #17 arc, replace Liang Xing Long(The first dragon), Wu Xing Long(The lightning dragon), and rework Qi Xing Long(The one that absorbs Pan). (I think Qi Xing Long could be made to work, and I don't think his episodes are that bad. But yeah, I think he could have been much more interesting if handled differently)
Well if I could make the show even a little better with some edits, I wanna give it a shot.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:49 pm

KBABZ wrote:[Well if I could make the show even a little better with some edits, I wanna give it a shot.
Here's the thing; some stuff could be fixed be re-editing the existing footage(Episode 62, aswell as probably 7 and 8 could be edited down at least)...
But really, the only stuff that you could improve is a couple of skippable episodes, so I don't think a full Kai-ification is necessary.
Maybe re-editing a couple of specific episodes so one or two of the not-so-good episodes are shorter or maybe even totally gone could be cool, but you don't need to do the whole series...

You can do what you want, but I really don't think re-editing GT as a whole is a particularly worthwhile use of time or effort.

IMO, the only edit worth doing is an edit of episode 8(?) to match the one and only edit Blue Water's GT dub had in its entire run. This would mean BWGT would seamlessly sync up as an uncut dub for the entire series meaning the Funi dub could be dumped, and the one episode of GT that I outright dislike would be slightly shorter. ;)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Dragon Ball Z - 9/10
Dragon Ball GT - 7/10
Funny thing is, aside from the fact I'd bump Super down to a 6/10(As of episode 103), this is exactly how I'd rate the shows too. :D

A very interesting read overall, although the use of "Nuova Shenron" instead of Si Xing Long really bothers me. :P (Su Shin Long, and to a lesser extent Su Shenron would also be acceptable)
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's recently been realising that the hate for GT is pretty undeserved. It's by no means a great show, and it's definitely a step down from DB and Z, but it's by no means bad, and there's a lot of really awesome stuff in it... It's a good show.

Plus, goddamn that music is amazing... Just... Wow, the music... Seriously... 10/10 music.
I know that character is really called Si Xing Long, but "Nuova Shenron" just sounds a lot cooler. :lol:

And yes... the music is awesome. :)

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm

sangofe wrote:
DSB wrote:GT just being 1 point lower than Super is an insult to both Super and Z.
Why do you say so?
Just the mere fact that Funi decided to remove the first dozen or so episodes and start off with a special recap one makes it extremely clear that even Funimation knew but bad those first episodes sucked. People shit on Super having a bad start should consider that GT had an absolute garbage of a start.
Then the Baby arc. So Vegeta suddenly decides to go full fledged family man and almost give up fighting? His Goku #1 acceptance means that he believes Goku is rightfully the best but that doesnt mean he should just shut down. Super has captured both Fighter AND family man vegeta far better.
Next is Black Star Dragon ball concept. So ya Kami remembers most of the important things the Nameless Namekian did but he conveniently forgets the entire existence of BSDB? You cant say Piccolo doesnt know because he has Kami's memories and Knowledge.
Next is Pan and she is Ribrianne+Kefla in one package.
Super 17. A HF 17 and Andorid 17 "fusion" makes a character stronger than Super Vegito? Right.
The Concept of Shadow Dragons is really awesome and the only thing that i want to carry over in Super but FOR GOD SAKE Almost all the Dragons are so damn bland. People saying Jiren is bland probably never saw Omega Shenron.
SSj4 making Absurd gains all the time is really awful. And dont get me started on vegeta SSj4. I'm a HUGE Vegeta mark but that Blutz machine is the biggest asspull the entire franchise has ever seen and that includes Trunks' SSRage.
And i can go on but i dont wanna waste more time here. GT has NOTHING to show for. OG DB was pure Fun and Adventure and then started the high stakes storyline which continued to Z and took it to another level. Super is not the best at any of those but is the best at Hype. It is also fun and has had the 2 of the most daring arc in the Franchise history. The most deep writing and villain ever and a Multiversal Tournament that is just the best thing going on since probably the Freeza Arc. Not to mention nobody has actually defeated a threat in Super by Themselves since like end of Freeza arc and that is even more glaring in Super. GT is just a Goku [and Pan] show.

So ya if I'm being generous I'm gonna give GT a 5/10 and thats only because how good the Concept of Shadow Dragons is. A Super Shenron Shadow Dragon will literally be bonkers in Super. I wish they take it.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm

DSB wrote:
sangofe wrote:
DSB wrote:GT just being 1 point lower than Super is an insult to both Super and Z.
Why do you say so?
Just the mere fact that Funi decided to remove the first dozen or so episodes and start off with a special recap one makes it extremely clear that even Funimation knew but bad those first episodes sucked. People shit on Super having a bad start should consider that GT had an absolute garbage of a start.
Then the Baby arc. So Vegeta suddenly decides to go full fledged family man and almost give up fighting? His Goku #1 acceptance means that he believes Goku is rightfully the best but that doesnt mean he should just shut down. Super has captured both Fighter AND family man vegeta far better.
Next is Black Star Dragon ball concept. So ya Kami remembers most of the important things the Nameless Namekian did but he conveniently forgets the entire existence of BSDB? You cant say Piccolo doesnt know because he has Kami's memories and Knowledge.
Super 17. A HF 17 and Andorid 17 "fusion" makes a character stronger than Super Vegito? Right.
The Concept of Shadow Dragons is really awesome and the only thing that i want to carry over in Super but FOR GOD SAKE Almost all the Dragons are so damn bland. People saying Jiren is bland probably never saw Omega Shenron.
SSj4 making Absurd gains all the time is really awful. And dont get me started on vegeta SSj4. I'm a HUGE Vegeta mark but that Blutz machine is the biggest asspull the entire franchise has ever seen and that includes Trunks' SSRage.
And i can go on but i dont wanna waste more time here. GT has NOTHING to show for. OG DB was pure Fun and Adventure and then started the high stakes storyline which continued to Z and took it to another level. Super is not the best at any of those but is the best at Hype. It is also fun and has had the 2 of the most daring arc in the Franchise history. The most deep writing and villain ever and a Multiversal Tournament that is just the best thing going on since probably the Freeza Arc. Not to mention nobody has actually defeated a threat in Super by Themselves since like end of Freeza arc and that is even more glaring in Super. GT is just a Goku [and Pan] show.

So ya if I'm being generous I'm gonna give GT a 5/10 and thats only because how good the Concept of Shadow Dragons is. A Super Shenron Shadow Dragon will literally be bonkers in Super. I wish they take it.
Judging by your comments here it doesn’t sound like you’ve actually watched GT and are primarily parroting things you’ve seen on YouTube channels.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Your enjoyment of GT is going to be 100% dependent on why you liked the previous series.

For instance I didn’t like Dragonball because they had a ton of transformations but I liked it because they “could” transform. And that made the transformation somewhat more special.

The characterization for me is huge. Goku in GT is just so much more mature. Also Pans growth is appreciated but she really contributes little overall besides this basically being about her personal growth. Trunks is way too flat and blah to be like able and I wish Goten had made it on the trip for those two to play off each other a bit better.

Overall I have Super and GT closer as equals but because of the expansion of the Saiyan lore and SSJ4 which I love GT is going to be something special separate from DBZ.

As to the idea of Kai GT. Ehh it’s already short enough and the western one is even shorter.
They cut the parts they felt wouldn’t be popular in the West and that’s fine. The black star arc is my least liked while the Super 17 is one of my favorites but I’m a real sucker for nostalgia so seeing all the bad guys through out their career face these guys was meaningful. Vegeta taking out Nappa was probably one of my favorite parts in the series although I wish the scene were greatly expanded.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:29 pm

TheMikado wrote:
DSB wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Why do you say so?

Judging by your comments here it doesn’t sound like you’ve actually watched GT and are primarily parroting things you’ve seen on YouTube channels.
i did watch it. And all i could manage was to see the series one time. You cant even refute any of the points

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:39 pm

I like that Doltaki is creepy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:47 pm

DSB wrote: Next is Pan and she is Ribrianne+Kefla in one package.
No she isn't. Pan is actually acting like a human being.

Also Ribrianne is a good character so I'll take that as half a compliment.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Dragon Ball Z - 9/10
Dragon Ball GT - 7/10
Dude, haven't you watched Super since episode 103 yet?! If you don't bump it up after watching up to recent episodes then I don't approve of your tastes.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:17 pm

And this post is an insult to the thread maker who actually took the time to make a well thought out comment that also is not just full of claims but at first his very personal experience which he has the right to state. How can you even think him thinking GT is just one point lower is an insult? This might blow your mind but I think GT overall is even better than both Z and Super with Super having the best arc but GT having the best atmosphere, score and ending.

It wasa good post, Lord Beerus. I have yet to fully and slowly read it but just from flying over it it seemed very well worded and thought about.

For me personally: I think GT long enough was treated as the black sheep of the franchise. Now that more and more finally come out to parrot what fans always do with video games they hate as well after a few years, meaning saying "yaknow ... uhm ... actually (when no longer following the anti-hype hype train) ... it ain't that bad *insert random cannnnnnnnnon comment here*" I think GT would greatly benefit from a remake.
DSB wrote: i did watch it. And all i could manage was to see the series one time. You cant even refute any of the points
Considering everything you wrote was an opinion masked as factually formulated post he does not have to refute anything.

Or as the Dude says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:[Well if I could make the show even a little better with some edits, I wanna give it a shot.
Here's the thing; some stuff could be fixed be re-editing the existing footage(Episode 62, aswell as probably 7 and 8 could be edited down at least)...
But really, the only stuff that you could improve is a couple of skippable episodes, so I don't think a full Kai-ification is necessary.
Maybe re-editing a couple of specific episodes so one or two of the not-so-good episodes are shorter or maybe even totally gone could be cool, but you don't need to do the whole series...

You can do what you want, but I really don't think re-editing GT as a whole is a particularly worthwhile use of time or effort.
I guess I also see it as a sort of editing challenge? I've had so much fun making the Kai edit of DB, and doing one for GT is a great reason for me to seriously watch GT for the first time, and then see if I can't solve some issues about it. Even combining episodes more seamlessly than "we skipped a bit just go with it" would help a lot I think, and at the very least I myself get something cool for me to watch by the end of it.

(one of the other edits I wanted to do was reinstate the extra-long franchise-wide VA credits from the original broadcast of the last episode, but I have no idea what that even looked like)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm

DSB wrote:Well since you are a Big shot here we should just believe you...
It seems someone can't take different opinions very well.

Guess what, Super isn't that good and GT isn't that bad. Simple facts.
Robo4900 wrote:The use of "Nuova Shenron" instead of Si Xing Long really bothers me.
How do you even remember those names ? :crazy:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:32 pm

sintzu wrote:How do you even remember those names ? :crazy:
Same way people remember all the other original Japanese-version names: watching the series subbed instead of dubbed.

I mean, you realize that GT has existed and fans have discussed it for more than a decade before FUNimation ever got around to dubbing it and making up their own names, right? Plenty of people had no problems at all whatsoever using the original Evil Dragon names for the better part of 10 years before the "Omega/Oceanus/Nuova/etc." BS was concocted for the dub.

All it takes is switching over to the subs, and suddenly before long Yi Xing Long becomes as natural as Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Makankosappo, Kienzan, etc. Chinese names are no more harder to wrap one's head around grasping than Japanese ones, and I don't see a lot of regular/casual anime fans (of all ages, including small kids) having much difficulties with VERY Japanese names from other series like Kakashi, Sasuke, Yusuke Urameshi, Kuwabara, Innuyasah, Konata, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:18 pm

If it helps, you don't have to use the Chinese name. I just call them by their translated name (e.g. One-Star Dragon, etc.). The dragons names spelling out Shenron was pretty cool, though.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 pm

I'd like to apologize in advance for not using the original Japanese names of certain characters. I recognise it's a copout to use the americanized version of the naming of the Evil Dragons.

The sad thing is that I knew all the original names of the Evil Dragons while watching the show, but I kept getting them mixed up for some reason. I think I just lacked the focus needed to remember their names from spending countless hours watching GT. (And the many hours of lost sleep because of it). It didn't help that the arc was a drag for the first several episodes, making it even more hard to focus on the details like that.

Plus, I was in a bit of a rush to do this post, as I also had work and I wanted this to be posted on the forum on the 19th of November specifically for "anniversary" reasons. And I was really running out of time to do that when I got to this arc. So I just thought, "Fuck it. Let's just go with the FUNimation names and call it a day. Because there is still quite a bit more shit I want to write. And I need to fucking sleep now."

In a moment of desperation, I was so tempted to go straight to Dragon Ball wiki for the Evil Dragons original Japanese names. But I've had bad run-ins with that site in the past, so I decided against it.

I hope I did not offend and incur the wrath of our Wuxia Lord and Savior Kunzait_83. :shifty:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I know that character is really called Si Xing Long, but "Nuova Shenron" just sounds a lot cooler. :lol:
Eh, maybe. It just really bothers me that it completely ignores the whole point of the dragon names. (In case you aren't aware, their names are chinese for "[NUMBER]-Star Dragon", so Yi Xing Long = 1-Star Dragon, Si Xing Long = Four-Star Dragon, etc.)
Plus, I find it really hard to remember who you're talking about unless it's Yi Xing Long/Syn Shenron or Si Xing Long/Nuova Shenron. I grew up on the Blue Water dub, which basically used the original names(They used the Japanese approximations instead of the Chinese original words, and used "Shenron" instead of "Xing Long" or "Shinron"; thus Si Xing Long becomes Su Shenron, Liu Xing Long becomes Ryu Shenron, etc. Though this slightly confuses things with Yi Xing Long, where they used a double-"I" to write his name as Ii Shenron, which a lot of people misread as "Li Shenron"...), and nowadays for me I either watch Dragon Ball in Japanese, or in its Ocean/Blue Water dubbed forms, so I can never remember the Funimation dragon names. :lol:
Lord Beerus wrote:And yes... the music is awesome. :)
I don't think awesome even begins to cover it.

It annoys me to no end that Toei didn't bring him back for Kai and Super. Would have totally avoided the problem of Yamamoto's plagiarism, and Sumitomo's mediocrity.
Lord Beerus wrote:I'd like to apologize in advance for not using the original Japanese names of certain characters. I recognise it's a copout to use the americanized version of the naming of the Evil Dragons.

[...]
Sorry to hear that dude. Honestly, the dub vs sub name thing is just a nitpick, so no worries, man. :)
Hell, I myself still have a few dub-isms stuck in my head. I don't think I'll ever pronounce Goku or Saiyan right. :lol:
sintzu wrote:Guess what, Super isn't that good and GT isn't that bad. Simple facts.
I should put that in my sig.
sintzu wrote:How do you even remember those names ? :crazy:
As I say, I grew up on the Blue Water/Ocean dubs, and nowadays I either watch that or the subs(Usually subs, especially recently), so those are the names I'm used to. Took me a while to remember the order, and the correct spellings, but Kanzenshuu was very helpful with that.
If you don't like subs, seek out the Blue Water dub sometime; the scripts are a lot more accurate than Funimation's, and the different voices should be very interesting to hear. :)
Plus, how can you say no to this theme song. Good luck getting that out of your head this century. ;)
DSB wrote:i did watch it. And all i could manage was to see the series one time. You cant even refute any of the points
With the Funi dub, probably with the replacement score, I presume?

Also, I do agree that your points should be fairly refuted, so... Down the rabbit hole we go...
[spoiler]
DSB wrote:Just the mere fact that Funi decided to remove the first dozen or so episodes and start off with a special recap one makes it extremely clear that even Funimation knew but bad those first episodes sucked. People shit on Super having a bad start should consider that GT had an absolute garbage of a start.
They cut the beginning because it had a bad reputation among the fansub community, and it wasn't edgy enough for their vision of GT. If Funimation had any sense of quality, they wouldn't have put the awful rap song and Mark Menza score over GT, which actively made the show worse, and as a result of those and the edgy overall approach to their GT dub, Funimation basically ruined everything that was good in GT, and made a pretty good show with a few shaky periods into an outright abomination.
DSB wrote:Then the Baby arc. So Vegeta suddenly decides to go full fledged family man and almost give up fighting? His Goku #1 acceptance means that he believes Goku is rightfully the best but that doesnt mean he should just shut down. Super has captured both Fighter AND family man vegeta far better.
That's not even slightly what happened. GT Vegeta has simply matured a bit, and more openly loves his family, so he spends more time with them, and genuinely tries to be a good father. That doesn't mean he's not still training, and in fact, episode 55 very clearly shows he's still training, and while he's resigned to the fact Goku is his better, he's still very much going to keep training and getting stronger until he finally either reaches his peak, or dies. If you watch the episode, he outright says all of this. It's possible Funimation threw out some of this, but if you're watching Funimation's dub... Actually, you probably did watch the Funi dub, didn't you? That would explain a lot. Almost justifies why you're so unreservedly hateful of this perfectly decent show. :lol:
DSB wrote:Next is Black Star Dragon ball concept. So ya Kami remembers most of the important things the Nameless Namekian did but he conveniently forgets the entire existence of BSDB? You cant say Piccolo doesnt know because he has Kami's memories and Knowledge.
This criticism makes no sense.
First off, he hadn't been the Nameless Namekian for like a couple of thousand years, and since the Black Dragon Balls wouldn't have been active since then, he wouldn't have thought about them in a long time, meaning they wouldn't be at the forefront of his mind during the span of time the series takes place in. When Piccolo and God merged in the Cell arc, they had a lot on their mind, and the kinda crappy prototype Dragon Balls from thousands of years ago that are safely deep within the temple which no one aside from the main protagonists has ever been up to(Aside from some villains who were either killed before they could get anywhere within the temple, or in Super Boo's case, Piccolo personally guided him through it as part of the whole plan to get Gotenks to kill Boo) would be the last thing on his mind, and as far as Piccolo is concerned, there's no way anyone would be able to find out about these really old balls, and make it up there without anyone noticing, so if it did cross his mind, he would have dismissed it quickly. And, given the fact Piccolo decided to die with Earth, and requested not to be wished back so the balls wouldn't return, presumably destroying the Black Dragon Balls would be quite an ordeal, perhaps one that Piccolo wouldn't be able to undergo without dying.
And then of course, once the balls were used, it was too late for Piccolo to really do anything about it.
DSB wrote:Next is Pan and she is Ribrianne+Kefla in one package.
So you're saying Super ripped off something GT did? Cool, I'll add that to the list. :lol:

(But seriously, I don't understand this... Is this supposed to be a criticism?)
DSB wrote:Super 17. A HF 17 and Andorid 17 "fusion" makes a character stronger than Super Vegito? Right.
I would let you have that one; the Super #17 arc was pretty weak, and the logic was fuzzy at best, except, "Makes a character stronger than Super Vegito? Right."
... No. He's roughly on-level with Super Saiyan 4 Goku. We don't know how SS4 Goku compares to Super Vegetto. He could be stronger, he could be weaker. We may never know.

Perhaps this is a nitpick, and if this is just a simple mistake, I gladly concede this point.
DSB wrote:The Concept of Shadow Dragons is really awesome and the only thing that i want to carry over in Super but FOR GOD SAKE Almost all the Dragons are so damn bland. People saying Jiren is bland probably never saw Omega Shenron.
I'm gonna do these in no particular order.

So, we have Yi Xing Long -- A being so strong it takes a Goku and Vegeta fusion to fight him, anything less being a distraction at best. While all the dragons exist to cause general havoc, Yi Xing Long exists to put an end to Earth, and stamp out all resistance to the destruction the dragons bring. Not the most interesting character, but he exists in a meta perspective as a villain so powerful, the entire rest of the main cast can get together, and we can have a big damn finalé. He's not hugely interesting personality-wise, but he is still actually quite fun; he's a very straight to the point, almost business-like dragon, who just wants to get everything killed, and be done with it. Arguably that's not the most deep character of all time, but neither was/is Freeza(He's literally just a guy who is evil and really strong. Not saying that's a bad thing, quite the opposite).
San Xing Long and Si Xing Long -- So, the fire and ice brothers. One is an honourable warrior; unlike the previous dragons, this guy just appears, says hi, and asks Goku for a fair fight. Then San shows up, and you get to see Si being conflicted about his duties as a brother and an evil dragon, and his honour. These two are awesome.
Liang Xing Long -- Okay, yeah, this one isn't great. The concept of one of the dragons' main thing being ruining the ecology of the world around him is kinda cool, but yes, this one was poorly executed. You can have that one.
Wu Xing Long -- Again, not particularly great. IMO, this and Liang are the only bad ones.
Qi Xing Long -- This was a cool idea. A dragon who absorbs Pan, and then Goku can't bring himself to defeat him, as it will mean killing Pan; and since the Dragon Balls are the very things they're fighting, it's possible Pan wouldn't be able to be brought back! The actual two episodes themselves are not the best in the end, but the dragon himself is a pretty cool idea.
Liu Xing Long -- So, she's basically enslaved an entire town, and lives on vanity. She's pretty fun. Not the most interesting dragon there is, but she's a good one-episode dragon. (And unless I'm forgetting someone, she's arguably Dragon Ball's first trans character.)

So, that's only two that are bad(Liang and Wu).
Out of the rest of them, one that isn't very interesting character-wise, but makes for a pretty cool villain, and serves his purpose as a big bad who's big and bad enough for the entire cast to get together to kill him, and really the only criticisms with him could easily also be levelled at Freeza or Kid Boo(Yi), one that's pretty cool, but his two episodes aren't particularly great(Qi), one that's pretty good(Liu), and two that are outright awesome(Si and San).
DSB wrote:SSj4 making Absurd gains all the time is really awful. And dont get me started on vegeta SSj4. I'm a HUGE Vegeta mark but that Blutz machine is the biggest asspull the entire franchise has ever seen and that includes Trunks' SSRage.
Super Saiyan 4 happens, and is really powerful, then Goku runs out of power, and the others help him get his power back so he can continue fighting. No change in power there.
The only other time that transformation has any kind of real "Absurd gain" is when Goku, Gohan, et al give all their power to Goku in the fight with Super Yi Xing Long, which isn't the transformation, it's just everyone giving Goku a ton of power to work with...

As for Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta, kind of the whole point of episode 55 is to say "Hey, Vegeta can go Super Saiyan 4 too. Here's how and why. Also, here's a quick recap of past events 'cause we haven't really done that in a while."
And the means through which they turn him into a Super Saiyan 4 were used in the Baby arc to turn him into a Golden Oozaru, so it's not an asspull; the ingredients were right there all along, and it was spelled out in episode 55 how it could be put together, then they did it when Vegeta showed up in the fight against Yi Xing Long.
DSB wrote:And i can go on but i dont wanna waste more time here. GT has NOTHING to show for.
Some of the best music in the franchise; beautiful animation which does have a couple of off episodes, but mostly stays consistently very nice; Super Saiyan 4 is still a very well-loved transformation that shows up in all the games even now that GT isn't in the mainstream continuity; even the people who have a hate-boner for GT love the ending; all the Japanese voices we love were back and doing some of their best work(Doesn't apply to the dubs, but Funimation's dub is awful, and it seems I'm the only one who cares about how great the Blue Water dub was)... I can go on, but I don't want to waste more time here. ;)
DSB wrote:OG DB was pure Fun and Adventure and then started the high stakes storyline which continued to Z and took it to another level.
Not really. OG Dragon Ball started out pretty lighthearted and adventurous, but always had some serious and/or dark elements to it. The attitude taken was overall quite whimsical, but the stakes were pretty high overall; if they didn't stop Pilaf from getting the balls, he was going to take over the world. The tone moved pretty smoothly to the darker style people associate with Z quite slowly, and the shift continues all the way into Z, with it all paying off at the end of the Cell arc. Only then does it relent, and we get the much lighter Boo arc, which kind of sets the stage for GT's approach to things.
DSB wrote:Super is not the best at any of those but is the best at Hype.
That's only because the show is airing right now. If the original three shows were airing right now, everyone would be super-hyped about what's going on with Freeza, and the cyborgs, and everyone would have lost their minds over Goku being the alien; that twist would probably have heavily divided the fandom.
DSB wrote:It is also fun and has had the 2 of the most daring arc in the Franchise history.
More daring than killing off Krillin(Remeber: At this point, no major character deaths had happened yet), massacring the martial arts community, the villain succeeding in gathering the Dragon Balls, then killing Shen Long, and Roshi, and Chiaotzu, and for the first time having Goku and the others be absolutely no match for the main villains?
More daring than revealing Goku had been an alien all along(For manga readers, that would have been 5 years in), and he has an evil brother who he has to team up with goddamn Piccolo to kill, which results in his death, then his son has to train with Piccolo otherwise Vegeta and Nappa will kill everyone, which they kind of do anyway, which leads them to have to go to space where they encounter space hitler, who'd enslaved Vegeta, and then after Krillin gets killed, Goku undergoes some kind of strange transformation born out of rage after Vegeta dropped vague hints about similar such things, thus fulfilling a legend, and resulting in Vegeta now being kind of with the goodguys...

I realise that, at this point, it looks like I'm just disagreeing with you for the sake of disagreeing with you, but that's not what I'm trying to do here. You're allowed to dislike GT, you're allowed to like Super, but just crapping all over GT, and praising Super as some kind of second coming is just silly. Many prefer Super to GT, and that's fine, but opinions are just that -- opinions. Expressing opinions as facts is highly annoying, and prevalent cases of this can ruin fandoms.
DSB wrote:The most deep writing and villain ever and a Multiversal Tournament that is just the best thing going on since probably the Freeza Arc.
The first two arcs don't count because they're just the last two movies, but even if they did BoG was basically just a fun cool thing that showed Dragon Ball is still viable in the 21st century, and RF was a bit crap.
So, that leaves the U6 tournament which was basically just a retread of the oldschool tournament arcs, but with a more modern sensibility, the Black arc which was "Hey, let's bring Trunks back and have him fight evil Goku!" The execution was a little more sophisticated than that at first, but then they completely skip over the training for the fight with Black, and travel through time a bunch of times, and shenanigans which make absolutely no sense at all result in the final fight in which Zamasu is the sky and everyone is dead, and then the universe too, and then there's another Omni-King, and oh no I've gone crosseyed.
Then we have the current arc, which is very good, but it's a pretty basic plot. Best thing since Freeza? Hell no, but probably the best arc of Super.
DSB wrote:Not to mention nobody has actually defeated a threat in Super by Themselves. Since like end of Freeza arc and that is even more gflaring in Super. GT is just a Goku [and Pan] show.
On Imegga, they had to work together to avoid the authorities. Sure, the actual fight with Ledgic was Goku vs Ledgic, but that was just the fight at the very end. Much as I don't like the two episodes with the guy with the whiskers, they all had to work together to get to the bottom of that, and when the Dragon Ball was stolen, Trunks was flying the ship they used to chase the guys, which lead them to the cult, where ultimately Goku and Pan had to time that hit to take the win. Granted, that does still qualify as "Goku [and Pan]", but having just two major characters has never been a problem before; most of the original series was just one or two main characters, a lot of Z was too(Freeza arc: Gohan and Krillin were the main characters, although it shifted to Vegeta in the middle, then shifted to Goku in the end. Ultimately, Goku was the only one who stood a chance against Freeza in his final form, so criticising GT for Goku taking the win once or twice if the rest of the buildup to it involved the other characters is weak, especially if it isn't just Goku who takes the win).
After the cult stuff, we got M2, where Goku was incapacitated for a huge ton of it, Gill and Pan were the main characters for a little bit, and ultimately Trunks took the win by planning everything very neatly. There wasn't even really any fight for anyone to win, it was a battle of wits, meaning Goku was entirely unsuited to winning it anyway. Of course, there was General Rildo after that, but that's not the main big bad, he's the miniboss. The real fight was with Baby, which lasted about 5 seconds. Speaking of Baby...
So, Goku completely fails to do anything to Baby, and ends up having to learn Super Saiyan 4. In the meantime, everyone else has to deal with Baby; Oob, most notably. So, although Goku wins the fight in the end, he wasn't the only one who annihilated the threat, and ultimately he did need the power from others to recharge to full-strength to beat Baby(Again, like the Freeza arc -- it all builds up to Goku appearing and kicking the baddy's ass, but it's what builds up to that that matters). And even then, that's not how the arc ends!! The arc ends with the evacuation and then restoration of Earth.
Then we have Super #17, who's technically defeated by Goku, but really the final win goes to both Goku and #18.
Then with the Evil Dragons, Pan defeats Liang, Wu just kind of dies, Liu is defeated by both Goku and Pan, Qi is defeated by Goku, San is defeated by Goku and Si, Si is defeated by Yi, Yi is defeated by the entire universe...
DSB wrote:So ya if I'm being generous I'm gonna give GT a 5/10 and thats only because how good the Concept of Shadow Dragons is. A Super Shenron Shadow Dragon will literally be bonkers in Super. I wish they take it.
You're entitled to your opinion, but don't get all high and mighty by saying you're being generous for calling one if its ideas pretty good. That'd be like giving Batman V Superman an above-average score simply because the idea of doing a film based on The Dark Knight Returns and The Death Of Superman was pretty interesting.
And no, Super redoing GT ideas would be utterly stupid.

First up, GT already told its stories, and while it had some spotty episodes, even its deniers are generally pretty positive about the Evil Dragons arc; it's a much better use of everyone's time to do new stories we haven't already seen before. Most of the appeal of Super right now is that people don't know what's going to happen, it's new serialised Dragon Ball for the first time since 1997, so we don't know what's going to happen next. If it didn't have hype behind it, and we already knew the broad strokes of the story it's doing, it would almost certainly be falling a lot more flat than it is.
And finally, are we so sure it would be better if they did it now? Toriyama wouldn't have a lot of interest in redoing stories that weren't his to begin with, so I doubt he'd really have much input on it, and even if he did, at most, he'd just revise the rough storyline as usual. This means it would be down to Toei, and right out the gate they have the disadvantage that the animation and music will be massively inferior to GT's... It'd be Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans all over again; people would still criticise the stories, but this time it would be a tired retread of something people were already pretty critical of.[/spoiler]

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:42 pm

As a dub fan, I personally appreciate that I won't have my feet held over the fire if I use those names over here.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 am

Robo4900 wrote:
sintzu wrote:Guess what, Super isn't that good and GT isn't that bad. Simple facts.
I should put that in my sig.
Go ahead. :mrgreen:

To be clear, I don't mean Super is terrable and GT is great, just that both are close to the same level so it doesn't make sense to say something like "how can you compare them to each other". It's not like GT was being compared and put on the same list as something like FMA Brotherhood, 2011's HXH or Attack On Titan.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.