Anyone here live in Japan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Anyone here live in Japan?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 pm

I've often wondered how many members actually live in Japan?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Anyone here live in Japan?

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

The only person who I can think of who I believe lives in Japan is Cipher. I myself am planning to move there to teach English after my first degree (starting next year, finishing about 2023) so if my plans stay the same I'll live there in 2024.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 am

One of the founders of this site also lives in Japan and has apparently started a family there.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:13 am

dbgtFO wrote:One of the founders of this site also lives in Japan and has apparently started a family there.
Julian lives back in the US now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:14 am

kei17 lives in Japan, but he's stopped posting here.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:19 am

VegettoEX wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:One of the founders of this site also lives in Japan and has apparently started a family there.
Julian lives back in the US now.
Oh I see. Glad that my intel is outdated though.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:kei17 lives in Japan, but he's stopped posting here.
Indeed. Kei is actually Japanese originally, he just has good English.

I do wish he was still around; he was a fascinating fellow.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:45 am

I wonder why.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:11 am

I'm looking to move to Japan to study at Kyoko Seika in 2019 or so; I will hope to keep you posted about what it's like over there when I do go. d(>_・ )
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:04 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
I wonder why.
There's a story there, but now isn't the time or place to tell it.
Mainly because no one knows the whole story, everyone has a different take on it, and every time it gets discussed, there's a massive argument, which would be very off-topic from the aim of this thread.

So... Probably best if we don't get into that. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 am

I do, currently. It doesn't help you get the drop on hot, new Dragon Ball information, though, unless you're in a major urban area and can get magazines early or something.

Really, the only thing it means for me in relation to Dragon Ball is that I see references to it more often, and I can watch Super on my TV Sunday mornings if I'm free. I'm actually too embarrassed to pick up something V-Jump regularly (not to mention that's a ton of space and/or wasted paper just for one manga), so I just wait for the collected volumes of Super and read Viz's translations month to month.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Why do so many westerners decide to move to Japan just because they like anime? I never understood this. Real life =/= anime, and I don't get why it's so common.

I understand a lot of you become english teachers in Japan, but even then taking the time to learn, read, write, and speak Japanese fluently is so time consuming.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:39 pm

precita wrote:Why do so many westerners decide to move to Japan just because they like anime? I never understood this. Real life =/= anime, and I don't get why it's so common.

I understand a lot of you become english teachers in Japan, but even then taking the time to learn, read, write, and speak Japanese fluently is so time consuming.
You know, in basically every other not-in-the-stone-age country in the world, you actually have to learn other languages in school. It's considered a basic skill, not an extra-curricular thing. Just because the American educational system is incompetent, doesn't mean that it is a worldwide trend.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm

I wish they taught Spanish in elementary school in the U.S. I have fond memories learning it in middle and high, but I feel elementary is when that should really start because the younger you are the easier it is to learn a second language.

My Spanish knowledge is semi-decent, but I know I would be better if they'd taught it earlier.

Regarding living in Japan...the way the internet is now I can access they information and buy the goods I want without having to travel someplace specific, so it's like...it'd be a nice trip, but I'm happy living in the tri-state area I currently live.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
precita wrote:Why do so many westerners decide to move to Japan just because they like anime? I never understood this. Real life =/= anime, and I don't get why it's so common.

You know, in basically every other not-in-the-stone-age country in the world, you actually have to learn other languages in school. It's considered a basic skill, not an extra-curricular thing. Just because the American educational system is incompetent, doesn't mean that it is a worldwide trend.
Unless you're speaking of College courses, most regular High Schools don't teach anything outside spanish or french.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:11 pm

precita wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

Unless you're speaking of College courses, most regular High Schools don't teach anything outside spanish or french.
In America? Yeah, that's what I'm saying. That's a problem.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:48 pm

So what do they teach wherever you're from?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
precita wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: You know, in basically every other not-in-the-stone-age country in the world, you actually have to learn other languages in school. It's considered a basic skill, not an extra-curricular thing. Just because the American educational system is incompetent, doesn't mean that it is a worldwide trend.
In America? Yeah, that's what I'm saying. That's a problem.
Canada's the same; mostly Spanish and French as second languages with a couple high schools offering German or Italian or Mandarin and one (unfortunately not mine) offering Japanese.

I'm not planning to move there just because I like anime. I've been fascinated with Japan before I even started to like anime, and the country and its culture have a weird way that just draws me in. I'm learning the language at my city's Japanese community centre and I'm hoping to continue in university so I can at least speak it fairly well when I go to Japan.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:49 pm

precita wrote:So what do they teach wherever you're from?
I'm American.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:28 am

Ages ago, I probably did start to learn Japanese because I was fascinated by its media.

At this point, though, I hardly watch any anime and am just genuinely fascinated by its unique culture. It's also the language I'm learning, for whatever the initial reason was, and I'd like to be fluent in at least one besides English before I die. Living abroad is also generally a hell of a trip if you can deal with the challenges, and is something I'd recommend anyone try if the opportunity presents itself. In my case, it's through an exchange teaching program.

That said, definitely don't move to Japan just because you like anime. I can only imagine you'd be sorely disappointed.
Chuquita wrote:I wish they taught Spanish in elementary school in the U.S. I have fond memories learning it in middle and high, but I feel elementary is when that should really start because the younger you are the easier it is to learn a second language.
I actually did have Spanish classes in elementary school, and am a little ashamed now to be a U.S. citizen who knows so little of it. I took it until high school, but after switching to Japanese, most of it has gone away.

Learning Japanese has been fun and rewarding, but there's a bit of practical regret there as well. Being able to do two language classes would have been ideal. With an infinite budget and infinitely flexible scheduling, it'd be great if U.S. schools all taught Spanish as a core class and offered a second language as an elective.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.