Things you used to hate but now you love.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Things you used to hate but now you love.

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Just wondering, what Dragon Ball stuff you used to hate, but now you love?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Things you used to hate but now you love.

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Super Saiyan Rose.

When the form got leaked in some promo material, I went "wtf is this shit, pink hair??" And was pretty annoyed.
Then episode 56 came out and I more or less did a one eighty and loved it. The theme that played and Blacks character as a whole sold it for me

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:58 am

Like many who watched the show as a kid, I didn't care much for Mr Satan (or Hercule, for t'was his name). Why are we wasting time with this dumb weak guy? Can't we go back to the fighting?

Nowadays? More Satan. More Satan all the time every day! I actually wish he'd taken Buu's place in the Tournament of Power.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:31 am

Well.... Nozawa's Goku and the Kikuchi score
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 am

1. Mr. Satan and Fat Buu - I loathed them. I though both characters were annoying and a waste of time, but now I see how brilliant they really are. Toriyama is a genius.

2. GT - While it's still my least favorite of the animes, I like it a lot more. The Baby arc in particular is really solid.

3. Ending of the manga/Z - While I still don't care much for Uub, I think the ending fits Dragon Ball just fine. Back in the day I always got annoyed at how anti-climactic the ending was. I've learned to appreciate the open-endedness of it now.

Those are the biggest ones. There's a few others that I can remember, but they're mostly just small, nit-picky stuff.

Bonus - One thing I actually dislike even MORE now than I did in the past is the Cell arc, but that's not the point of this thread.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Future trunks arc,while i did not hated it,i just didn't cared for it now i'm starting liking it a bit more,i also shared this sentiment for the buu arc.
Mostly active on discord.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Mr. Satan - I disliked him in the Cell arc but grew to love him. I love when stories can do that - make you hate a character and then come to love them.

The 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai - While I didn't hate it, it was my least favorite of the first 3 Budokais, but now I love it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:34 pm

ABED wrote:Mr. Satan - I disliked him in the Cell arc but grew to love him. I love when stories can do that - make you hate a character and then come to love them.

The 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai - While I didn't hate it, it was my least favorite of the first 3 Budokais, but now I love it.
I also had a similar experience with the 22nd TB. I never really cared for it at all, but after I got done with watching the whole series start to finish, it ended up becoming my second favorite arc in the whole series.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:01 pm

I wouldn't say hate, but I never cared for the Japanese dub and had a basic aversion to it due to nostalgia glasses and how used to the Funi dub I was. Now I'm so used to it and it's harder for me to go back to the Funi dub. I'm beginnimg to prefer it.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Avenant wrote:I wouldn't say hate, but I never cared for the Japanese dub and had a basic aversion to it due to nostalgia glasses and how used to the Funi dub I was. Now I'm so used to it and it's harder for me to go back to the Funi dub. I'm beginnimg to prefer it.
You had an aversion to the original due to nostalgia glasses?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 pm

I never had any major changes in views of the series, although I do like characters such as Yajirobe, Master Roshi, Tien, Piccolo, etc. more after seeing Dragonball rather than coming in at DBZ like most of us did as kids.

It's easy to forget what a great character Tien was in Dragonball because in DBZ he's sidelined so much.

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:53 am

I hated Kikuchi's score in the early 2000s then I started watching Dragon Ball and became fan.
I'm still iffy on Nowaza as Goku's voice but I always loved her as Gohan's voice, I can't stand Kyle Hebert, he makes Gohan sound like a clown.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 am

4kids, I used to hate them for what they did to One Piece but I loved how they handled Dragon Ball and showed it to pintsized America again!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:10 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:4kids, I used to hate them for what they did to One Piece but I loved how they handled Dragon Ball and showed it to pintsized America again!
Yeah they even got Sonic the hedgehog to promote it how cool!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OTZ8Yt_15k&t=93s

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 am

Ariesx222 wrote:I hated Kikuchi's score in the early 2000s then I started watching Dragon Ball and became fan.
I'm still iffy on Nowaza as Goku's voice but I always loved her as Gohan's voice, I can't stand Kyle Hebert, he makes Gohan sound like a clown.
Your iffy with Nozawa's Goku, but how do you feel about her as Teenage/Adult Gohan since you dislike Hebert.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 am

A year ago, I used to detest the mini Copy Vegeta arc with a burning passion but upon rewatching it recently, I've somehow softened up towards it. For some reason, I actually developed some strange fondness of it this time around.

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:21 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ariesx222 wrote:I hated Kikuchi's score in the early 2000s then I started watching Dragon Ball and became fan.
Your iffy with Nozawa's Goku, but how do you feel about her as Teenage/Adult Gohan since you dislike Hebert.

I always loved her as Gohan and loved her portrayal as Black Goku.
She has versatility and I appreciate her talent

I'm iffy on Goku because compared to Gohan, Goku isn't as calm and sometimes the voice would rub me the wrong way

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:44 am

I down right hated SSJG, SSJB and especially golden Freeza when they where first introduced. But super saiyan blue(still wish it had a different name) really grew on me, especially when Goku and Vegeta wore the ROF outfits.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:48 am

Ariesx222 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:

I always loved her as Gohan and loved her portrayal as Black Goku.
She has versatility and I appreciate her talent

I'm iffy on Goku because compared to Gohan, Goku isn't as calm and sometimes the voice would rub me the wrong way
He does have a unique weird voice so that's not surprising, It would sound weird even if a male did a voice like it. Gintama did a DBZ parody were a male actor spoke with Goku's hick tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hefz44j_1z8 still sounds weird.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:03 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:4kids, I used to hate them for what they did to One Piece but I loved how they handled Dragon Ball and showed it to pintsized America again!
Yeah they even got Sonic the hedgehog to promote it how cool!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OTZ8Yt_15k&t=93s
I dont know if this is sarcasm but...

-If it is...
I dont really mind. OKAY OKAY, I did cringe but Dragon Ball Z Kai did gangbusters on the block and I'm happy of how it turned out overall. Also I love how much death and destruction was allowed for Saturday Morning Standards in that preview. Especially since the TheCW was so strict.

-If It isnt
I KNOW RIGHT. I dont really like Sonic but its really cool that 4kids used such brand synergy to promote Dragon Ball. It ensured its sucess.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: