Which character has the most rabid fanboys/fangirls?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Which character has the most rabid fanboys/fangirls?

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 am

I'm thinking it's between Gohan and Vegeta. Maybe Broly back around the mid 2000's.

What say you?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

sintzu
Banned

Re: Which character has the most rabid fanboys/fangirls?

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:47 am

Us vegeta fans are probably the worst as he gets everything yet we still complain about him not getting enough. :lol:
Last edited by sintzu on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 am

Broly used to be that. Now its Gohan

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:22 am

Was Goku. Is Goku. Will be Goku

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:13 am

I'm still thinking it's Broly
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:56 am

Vijay wrote:Was Goku. Is Goku. Will be Goku
I don't see much complaining about Goku not getting enough, if anything it's the opposite.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:01 am

sintzu wrote:
Vijay wrote:Was Goku. Is Goku. Will Goku
I don't see much complaining about Goku not getting enough, if anything it's the opposite.
Dat being said, I despise GT & Super's incarnation of Goku

Toriyama's soul + Nishio Daisuki/Tadayoshi Yamamuro's vision gave birth to universally likable protagonist Son Goku

Not just me. Long-time Goku fanboys (been his fan since him searching DB with Bulma heydays) expressed their disappointment over Super's "moronic" interpretation of Goku.

Goku's fanbase is intact for sure. But dat doesnt mean there arent haters of such ongoing interpretation.

@ Bebi Hatchiyack

I think Broly is John Cena/Hulk Hogan of DBZ. As character, Broly received wildly polarizing reaction: glorifying fans (often labelled as tards) & downplaying haters.

I actually think his popularity was monstrous since 90's. But Kale (again Super's fault) has significantly diminished his stardom
Last edited by Vijay on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am

Vijay wrote:Goku's fanbase is intact for sure. But dat doesnt mean there arent haters of such ongoing interpretation.
I'm one of them, I love him in the 3 original anime and even Super's manga but they've really done a bad job with him in the anime.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:17 am

sintzu wrote:
Vijay wrote:Was Goku. Is Goku. Will be Goku
Agreed.

I'd say its a close run thing between Gohan and Vegeta personally.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 am

I think the classic go-to answer would be Broli, but quite frankly I see more obnoxious complaining about the overeager/obnoxious Broli fans than I see from/of these supposed Broli psychofans themselves. Seems like a weird sort of kinda reverse self-fulfilling prophecy in some ways.

Other than that, I think I'm pretty immune and blind to character-specific favoritism in the general discussion areas I frequent (things like Kanzenshuu's own community here, and general/overall-franchise discussion boards elsewhere). That diversity provides enough... I dunno, I guess... uhh... diversity... to spread things out and never get too bogged down in the minutia and "protectionism", I suppose.

That of course changes when you venture out into character-specific areas (old character shrine fansites, pairing/coupling/shipping communities, etc.). One example I always remember is Meri taking constant shit from Vegeta fans for him being a dope in the "Feature Films" on her website. It was all in jest; she liked Vegeta a lot too, but for the specific type of stories and comedy she was going for, that's the role Vegeta played. I think it's a shame when people can't see the fun in having fun WITH the thing they supposedly like so much. While, sure, some stuff is, not everything is inherently a challenge or an affront or mean-spirited or personal. That was 20 years ago; it extended back before then and continues to extend forward today.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 am

sintzu wrote:Us vegeta fans are probably the worst as he gets everything yet we still complain about him not getting enough. :lol:
More or less, Vegeta fans are out of this world desperate for him to get his moment ""at least once"" and shit like that..
There's only a handful of Vegeta fans I have seen including sintzu who don't immediately jump all over the comments wanking Vegeta who curiously they never miss a chance to call royal blood, Prince of all Saiyans and how Toriyama hates him..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:53 am

It used to be Broly. But now I'd say Vegeta with Gohan a very close second.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:33 pm

My go to answer would have been Broly but, since DBSuper started airing my new answer has been Vegeta, even more so when he is not "performing well" in battle.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Vegeta's probably the most obvious example, followed by Gohan. It's not hard to see why. Everyone wants to see the secondary characters step up to surpass Goku, and these two have come the closest to achieving that. Vegeta didn't fall behind like every other rival, and Gohan was actually the hero for a brief wonderful moment. A lot of their fans are probably desperate to hold onto that glory.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Vegeta and Gohan fans are equally as bad in some cases. At least Goku fans can actually appreciate him in situations where he gets humiliated or even just loses a fight. Both of them come up with such strange speculation to try and prove their favourite character is going to get stronger, they've become memes. And while Vegeta fans have probably been more vocal the last few years (given Vegeta has actually had a role big enough that something could be worth complaining over), the Gohan fans ended up basically complaining over nothing. There's also the Piccolo fans. A smaller breed, but they have even weirder perceptions over what the character's role in the franchise is supposed to be.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Vegetards like seriously they are the cancer of dragon ball, they even made me hate Vegeta.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Well if it’s anything to go by Vegeta is my favorite character and I really like Broly too.

That being said, I really don’t care that Vegeta jobs all the time and it’s one of my favorite aspects of him. I will admit that Goku always having to be the one to save the day ultimately is rather annoying and upon watching the Trunks arc right now I can definitely feel it. In universe everyone is basically saying “I wish Goku” were here every two seconds and Future Trunks his own son keeps saying not to fight the androids and that they need to wait for Goku. Then Vegeta jobs to 18 in front of Trunks and really never gets a chance to prove or show he’s a worthwhile fighter. It’s reallt kind of sad, so I will say continuing the trend even in Super really makes it much worse for Vegeta to be so useless.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:46 pm

TheMikado wrote:Well if it’s anything to go by Vegeta is my favorite character and I really like Broly too.

That being said, I really don’t care that Vegeta jobs all the time and it’s one of my favorite aspects of him. I will admit that Goku always having to be the one to save the day ultimately is rather annoying and upon watching the Trunks arc right now I can definitely feel it. In universe everyone is basically saying “I wish Goku” were here every two seconds and Future Trunks his own son keeps saying not to fight the androids and that they need to wait for Goku. Then Vegeta jobs to 18 in front of Trunks and really never gets a chance to prove or show he’s a worthwhile fighter. It’s reallt kind of sad, so I will say continuing the trend even in Super really makes it much worse for Vegeta to be so useless.
Seriously, Vegetards like you are the cancer of dragon ball. Dude when did Goku win a single main fight in dbs, he lost the fight against. 1. Beerus twice 2. Freeza 3. Frost 4.Hit 5.Goku black 6.Merged Zamasu 7.jiren. Vegeta has more wins in his bag then Goku so dumbass do some research before posting such bullshit. I'm tired of you vegetards bashing and blaming Goku for no reason.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Khandom101 wrote: Seriously, Vegetards like you are the cancer of dragon ball. Dude when did Goku win a single main fight in dbs, he lost the fight against. 1. Beerus twice 2. Freeza 3. Frost 4.Hit 5.Goku black 6.Merged Zamasu 7.jiren. Vegeta has more wins in his bag then Goku so dumbass do some research before posting such bullshit. I'm tired of you vegetards bashing and blaming Goku for no reason.
Not to mini mod, but this really isn't an appropriate way to talk to someone.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Khandom101 wrote: Seriously, Vegetards like you are the cancer of dragon ball. Dude when did Goku win a single main fight in dbs, he lost the fight against. 1. Beerus twice 2. Freeza 3. Frost 4.Hit 5.Goku black 6.Merged Zamasu 7.jiren. Vegeta has more wins in his bag then Goku so dumbass do some research before posting such bullshit. I'm tired of you vegetards bashing and blaming Goku for no reason.
Not to mini mod, but this really isn't an appropriate way to talk to someone.
Sorry, I guess I should take a chill pill and calm my triggered butt down. :lol: :lol: :lol: