The next generation of DB fans.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The next generation of DB fans.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:01 am

I know me and some others like to bring this up a lot to the irritation of everyone else. But one of the main aspects that I love of Dragon Ball is that despite being such an old property, it always finds a way to make new fans! Just put it on for half an hour and you will have youngsters glued to the screen! Its like magic! Now I made this new thread to ask people many questions like... Where do you think the next newbie boom of new DB fans will come? How do you guys feel about what I said about the Evergreen Quality of Dragon Ball? Do you feel annoyed? Or do you feel happy? I know Dragon Ball doesnt really need anymore fans but my heart will always be happy to see a new generation take to Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The next generation of DB fans.

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know me and some others like to bring this up a lot to the irritation of everyone else. But one of the main aspects that I love of Dragon Ball is that despite being such an old property, it always finds a way to make new fans! Just put it on for half an hour and you will have youngsters glued to the screen! Its like magic! Now I made this new thread to ask people many questions like... Where do you think the next newbie boom of new DB fans will come? How do you guys feel about what I said about the Evergreen Quality of Dragon Ball? Do you feel annoyed? Or do you feel happy? I know Dragon Ball doesnt really need anymore fans but my heart will always be happy to see a new generation take to Dragon Ball.
More fans are a good thing, but I'm saddened that this will be their introduction to Dragonball. It really does set the standard lower than the original, and sets the standard for popular anime lower as a whole (which has been a steadily increasing problem with modern anime).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:51 am

It doesnt have to be! Just rerun Z, Kai or the OG Dragon Ball. Telefuturo in Paraguay was airing the Z anime again! IT WAS AWESOME.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:52 am

I'm always happy to see DB bring in new fans and manage to stay relevant compared to other properties that die once their run is up.

I think we're already seeing a boom of new fans getting into the franchise with Super and the new games.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:24 am

Super is currently bringing in new fans..
Their comments "so goku is a martial artist now?" Drive the point home for me ( someone actually made that comment, best laugh I have had in a long time )
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 am

I watch, Dragonball Z with my kids and its been a hoot. My daughter is 5 and loves Gohan, while my son is 7 and loves Goku. Ironically they both hate my favorite character Vegeta because he's (mean).
We are watching the android arc and my daughter loves how nice and strong Gohan is so I think she's going to be in for a big surprise at the end. I really can't wait. As for my son, he really started disliking Vegeta when he punched Trunks in the gut. He was really confused on why Vegeta would do that to his own son. Also it was funny what they saw the reveal of Bulma and Vegeta having a baby together. They don't know exactly where babies come from yet but they know that the two people have to get along to some extent. In universe Goku falls out over the news and they imitated the action too when he did it so its obvious they picked up the cue that their union was considered abnormal.

We are watching the funi dub obviously so they really don't like freeza and can't understand 1) if he's a boy or girl 2) why he's naked. Anyway the reactions are super hilarious. I did try them on super too but they weren't engaged. I my opinion its because Goten and Trunks are as engaging. Previously I was watching the Buu saga which is when they first joined me and they really enjoyed the tournament and their shenanigans in that which is what prompted me to start the series from the beginning with them. Also they don't really see Piccolo as evil or mean because they don't have the context from DB. I would say they see Piccolo in the same way Gohan does, having never really seen his evil side they assume he's just a grouchy uncle who still really cares.

Anyway long story short it's amazing to see the reactions because I can remember the same feelings too. To be more specific on where we are in the series, the androids have just woken up and 17 kicked off Dr. Gero's head and then squashed it off screen (Thank goodness). There's a few violent parts like Gero impaling Yamcha but luckily he didn't outright die. After the 17/Gero screen. My daughter looks are me asks, did he step on his head? Is he dead now? I had to try and play it off by saying he's a robot so he wasn't alive to begin with and that seemed to pacify her so I'm thankful this arc is primarily about robots :).

Also the pacing and format. My kids seem to really enjoy the pacing and format of the show. It's slow and methodical so they can play with their toys as they watch periodically on the exposition heavy parts. If they have a question about what happened they will ask me. The dream sequences and flashbacks seem to be confusing them the most because its hard to tell if its actually happening, happened in the past, or imagined. I'm also not sure if they really understand the concept of time travel but they seem to get it because they think its weird whenever big Trunks and little Trunks are on scene together. My son asked how they can be the same person at the same time and he gets that he came from the future but for some reason he doesn't think they should be able to exist simultaneously.

Anyway this in anecdotal but man its a hoot to experience.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 am

AWWWWW! THAT'S SO ADORABLE!

Also, do you watch DBZ Funi Dub or Kai Funi Dub?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:42 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:AWWWWW! THAT'S SO ADORABLE!

Also, do you watch DBZ Funi Dub or Kai Funi Dub?
We watch the DBZ funi dub because it has a lot of Gohan and Goku filler.
For instance Gohan and the robot really hit home for daughter, and the episodes with Gohan and the tutor where the tutor is bad-mouthing Goku while he is away after the events of Namek was something my son really enjoyed.
It was really neat because the tutor scene went on for a while with the tutor actually using a whip and hitting Gohan until he finally stood up to him. They kept asking why doesn't he go tell his mother. Then when Chi-chi finally finds out about it she gets mad and throws the tutor out of the window, then jumps out the window and chases him away I could tell the kids were incredibly satisfied with that conclusion.

Its nice because for the kids the filler serves as mini-arcs in the larger arcs that they can easily digest and relate to. I think that tutor episode fulfilled their dream of one of their parents beating up and scaring off a bully so they like re-watching that part. I think they would enjoy kai, but the "filler" adds a lot of interesting story spliced between the larger arc. Right now we have several plot lines going simultaneously.

1) The main Android plot where Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, Vegeta, and Future Trunks are confronting 16,17, & 18 on the road.
2) We have Gohan traveling with Bulma, Yajarobi, and baby Trunks by carrying them.
3) We have Chi-chi and Yamcha looking after Goku.( Plus the dreams Goku is experiencing)
4) We have Marron at Kami house and the turtle trying to protect her from other guys while she waits for Krillin.

So watching the same story plod along doesn't get boring for them because every few minutes it will shift between intense drama to silly humor and helps keep it from being too intense for too long at that age. I really appreciate that with them being younger.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Your kids are sooooo awesome. I loved the robot filler! And while I hate the abusive teacher filler, I do get that the momement Gohan FINALLY stands up for himself is amazing. I cant wait till they get to the Buu Saga. LOL.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:37 am

Our fanbase will live on with the newbies. If we hope to get new media in the future, we need to balance out the nostalgia-seeking adults and teens (and the awkward internet discoverers such as myself) with kids that will grow up with Dragon Ball just like almost everyone here seems to have. I'm planning on purchasing all the DVDs when I grow up and I guarantee when I have kids (hopefully) that I'll sit them down and say, "Here me lad/lass, there's a tale to be told here. Watch and enjoy." If all goes well, there will at least be 1 or 2 kids in Canada (mine) who love Dragon Ball by 2030 or whenever I settle down.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 am

Dragon Ball to children is like candy. Highly addictive.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 pm

I think it's already here. Just a few months ago, i was procastinating by drawing Goku on a library and a lot of little kids aproached to see what was i doing. When they saw the drawings they were able to recognise him and even talked about how they "saw that strong dude in a series called dragon ball super" (this obviously surprised me as i thought that the show would actually fail in Spain due to some factors).
My little cousin started watching it with me a year ago and currently he's still watching it on youtube (thought he doesn't understand anything but hey he watches it for the fights so....).
And when i travelled to Cape Verde on august of this year, i found out that apparently, my other cousins in there had been keeping up with super to the point that they even knew who Goku Black was.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:06 pm

My cousin jumped in with the combination of Super and DBZ Abridged. Won't watch the original DB, DBZ, or DBZ Kai though, despite my urging him. Still, its a start.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:32 pm

I wonder if this new movie will be a success for new fans.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:46 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:My cousin jumped in with the combination of Super and DBZ Abridged. Won't watch the original DB, DBZ, or DBZ Kai though, despite my urging him. Still, its a start.
This makes me sad. It's cool that a lot of new fans are getting into DB because of Super but I'm disheartened by the new fans that won't go back and watch the older (and in my opinion, better) stuff.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:22 am

GamerSkull wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:My cousin jumped in with the combination of Super and DBZ Abridged. Won't watch the original DB, DBZ, or DBZ Kai though, despite my urging him. Still, its a start.
This makes me sad. It's cool that a lot of new fans are getting into DB because of Super but I'm disheartened by the new fans that won't go back and watch the older (and in my opinion, better) stuff.
With Kai being a bit new it has a better chance at getting new fans, it's a shame the original DB didn't get a Kai version as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:15 am

That's irksome. It's also irritating that many fans are more likely to watch Super and GT than to go back to the beginning. It's almost out of obstinance. I don't get the reluctance AT ALL. And FYI, regardless of my feelings about Abridged, it's not a substitute for DBZ or Kai. It's not DB, it's a parody. If you can get them to start the story from the beginning, then do so.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:22 am

So I was reading this Japanese blog of someone who reviews figures and they were talking about how their friends has a 6 year old kid who loves DBS and they were telling them about the time Goku went SS on Namek and the kid was like why are you telling me this SSGSS is the newest form why do I care haha and the blogger tried explaining that SS was seen as special back then when it happened!

Most of us as kids watched Z without prior knowledge to DB and it seems the same is happening here.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:58 am

ABED wrote:That's irksome. It's also irritating that many fans are more likely to watch Super and GT than to go back to the beginning. It's almost out of obstinance. I don't get the reluctance AT ALL. And FYI, regardless of my feelings about Abridged, it's not a substitute for DBZ or Kai. It's not DB, it's a parody. If you can get them to start the story from the beginning, then do so.
Its the new hotness/old and busted thing: They'LL watch Super because it's shiny and new but not DB because it's old and "corny"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:44 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So I was reading this Japanese blog of someone who reviews figures and they were talking about how their friends has a 6 year old kid who loves DBS and they were telling them about the time Goku went SS on Namek and the kid was like why are you telling me this SSGSS is the newest form why do I care haha and the blogger tried explaining that SS was seen as special back then when it happened!

Most of us as kids what Z without prior knowledge to DB and it seems the same is happening here.
I'm sure it's the shiny and newness of DBS, but one factor that's different is that DB in its entirety is far more easily accessible now than when my generation grew up. Did I just write "my generation" without being ironic or referencing the song by The Who? KUSO!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.