Android 8

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Android 8

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:19 am

Many phones are now upgrading to Android 8, so in honour of this, let's talk about everyone's favourite Frankenstein lookalike -- Eighter, AKA Android #8, AKA Cyborg #8, AKA Artificial Human #8, AKA Ha-chan, AKA #8...

Regardless of name, I've always quite liked this guy. Thought he was good fun in the series, and the filler episode with Professor Frappe that #8's presence lead to was rather fun, if a little weird in terms of canon. Still, that is generally the case with most filler, so it's about par for the course.
I always thought it was a little sad we didn't really see much of #8 after the Red Ribbon arc was done; it could have been a lot of fun to see him meet #16 in particular. Honestly, I'd really like to see him come back in Super and meet #17 and #18. Could be quite an emotional thing, given how similar he is to their lost brother. I realise we have technically had him back in Super, but that doesn't really count, I don't think.

So, what are your thoughts on #8?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Android 8

Post by Vijay » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:29 am

As a kid, felt dude's a weirdo. Who wouldnt?

Giant with scar & robotic mannerism. Total opposite of Chibi Goku

It wasnt after watchin Path to Power (thx to GT's superb art/animation) dat I started thinkin dude could've been more than generic deus ex machina

Rewatched Muscle Tower in original DB
. I actually liked his buildup. Suprisingly, dude was utilized more. My personal fav is when Goku, Suno & Android 8 trio visited Dr. Frappy or sumething to remove implanted bomb detonator inside Android 8 with Ninja Murasaki doin ROFL 80's comedic threats. Those were rollicking fun

As a whole, I find him okay. Another distinctly memorable character in Akira Toriyama's gallery

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am

Would like to point out that ol' Eighter (Hatchan, if you prefer!) did have a background-to-the-main-plot role in the King Piccolo takeover story where he helps Suno with the refugees. I personally never really liked their obvious insertion there, but the payoff is that we get the truly harrowing depiction of Suno witnessing Piccolo blowing up Central City. I really liked the allusions the anime makes to nuclear warfare, and it's particularly impactful when you remember that, at the time the episode in question aired, it had only been 43 years since Hiroshima, recent enough for the older staff to remember such a nationwide event clearly (in fact the episode aired only three days before the anniversary of it).

-ahem-, as for Eighter himself, I always found him to be a rather flat character (probably because of his monotone delivery in the dub), but I admired that he had a heart of gold (alloy) and that's made clear right from his first appearance, and he rebels without hesitation. It's also one of the earliest instances of Goku befriending a character who is presented to him as a villain, and gives him a chance at being someone better (which obviously reflects in the earlier Krillin, and the later Tien, Vegeta and Buu).

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:49 pm

In a part of the series with an awful lot of boring characters IMO Eighter was a nice highlight. The Frankenstein Monster design coupled with the gentle personality is a nice contrast and I'm found of the idea of a creation being the opposite of what its creator intended.

By the by, has it ever been answered if 8 is fully mechanical like 16 and 19 or a cyborg like 17 and 18?