How do Dragon Ball fights compare to other anime fights?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

How do Dragon Ball fights compare to other anime fights?

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:49 pm

now that we have so many different battle animes we can experience so many different types of anime fights like the Ninja fights in Naruto, Sword Fights in Bleach or Rurouni Kenshin or Magical girls fight in Sailor Moon or even other martial arts fights in History's strongest disciple Kenichi.

I personally think Dragon Ball fights are great on their own but i wouldn't call them the Best because it doesn't compare to some of the anime Fights we got after it ended, be it due to better animation or direction which animes after it had but still Dragon Ball is a great Battle Anime/Manga, what are your thoughts?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Bullza
Banned

Re: How do Dragon Ball fights compare to other anime fights?

Post by Bullza » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:45 pm

They're usually much better because they actually do get on with it and actually fight.

They're not constantly screaming out the name of techniques every single time they do something. These other series are also very reliant on these techniques.

Its a constant red light, green light scenario, where one character will do a technique, then they'll stop fighting as everyone comments on the technique and what it does and all that, then we wait to see whether it either it had a big effect or no effect at all in which case the other character will do his technique and it all starts over again.

At least in Dragon Ball when they fight, it resembles a fight, they punch people in the face, they block kicks, move, dodge etc. Other series are like rock, paper, scissors most of the time.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Dragon Ball, as far as battle anime goes, wasn't even the best of it's era. That honor belongs YuYu Hakusho, in my opinion.

Dragon Ball fights (in any animated capacity) sure as hell haven't got anything on what many anime have produced since the Dragon Ball anime franchise winded down in 1997.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:03 pm

For the most part, they are terrible. Consistently, the fights are awfully-paced and filler-infested, and the "big" fights go on for waaaaaaay too long.

I was in a conversation with several other members about this the other day, and came to the conclusion that the Nappa and Recoome fights are the best in the series (or Z, rather.) If nothing else, these fights are dynamic, without constant wasted space that plagues other fights (Freeza noticeably stands out.)

While I'm a solid "meh" on the show in general, the big fight at the halfway point of Gurren Laggan manages to pull off a suitably epic, well-done fight in, like, 20 minutes. The DB anime is so bloated that by the time the fight is over, you're left feeling relieved to be done with it, rather than excited.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball, as far as battle anime goes, wasn't even the best of it's era
i agree .

but the og dragon ball's fights are amazing imo

what i hate about dbz's fights is the poor choreography most of the time .

there is either no tactics in the fights or the power difference between the characters that are fighting is huge .

but i still enjoyed them for what they are
My English is poor .

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:now that we have so many different battle animes we can experience so many different types of anime fights like the Ninja fights in Naruto, Sword Fights in Bleach or Rurouni Kenshin or Magical girls fight in Sailor Moon or even other martial arts fights in History's strongest disciple Kenichi.

I personally think Dragon Ball fights are great on their own but i wouldn't call them the Best because it doesn't compare to some of the anime Fights we got after it ended, be it due to better animation or direction which animes after it had but still Dragon Ball is a great Battle Anime/Manga, what are your thoughts?
I dont mean to promote my pet series too much but its Pretty Cure that has the most intense Magical Girl fights. From the mind of Daisuke Nishio himself even! (He directed DBZ and Futari Wa Pretty Cure.) They closely resemble old school DBZ fights animated with the best talent Toei can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHfSZn3USk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3yv9SjYoHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b19yWkHELRM
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:31 pm

I haven't seen many anime apart from the long running popular ones so I'm sure the shorter 12-24 seasonal anime have superior fights due to time and budget but compared to long running shows I think they're among the best.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:39 pm

sintzu wrote:I haven't seen many anime apart from the long running popular ones so I'm sure the shorter 12-24 seasonal anime have superior fights due to time and budget but compared to long running shows I think they're among the best.
Nearly all of the budgets for animes, whether they are seasonal or long running, are the same. It's the same deal with how much pre-production is given.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:43 am

King of its genre, during its time. Its been 30 goddamn years & still holds its own to any latest anime with similar genre

I'm talkin about DB & Z.

Toriyama's ability to infuse realistic hand-to-hand action choreography & fun techniques which later became signature movesets like Kamehameha, Masenko, Kienzan, Kikoho made DragonBall a standard-bearer for action show

The filler, staring-contest bla bla bla is generally used by detractors to degrade DB's merit and/or help aggrandize their preffered anime/series

YYH is a great series. It benefits greatly from its Filler-Free fights, but I wouldnt call it as great action seriez cuz Togashi lacks innovative skills in choreographing battle sequences on large scale with over 2 dozen characters revolving around the fight. 3 Kings Arc comes to mind. But hey, nothin comes close to Goku/Frieza battle dat scores epicness on biblical scale

I'd add Inuyasha as another great action series. It had pacing/filler issues, but the fights are generally great. On par to DB.

Nothin else comes anywhere close in DB/Z in my mind

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:11 am

Yuu Yuu Hakusho as pointed out showed what good fights can be in shounen. Exceptional storyboarding, interesting layouts and action animators going all out. The Dark Tournament is the pinnacle of consistently good action animation in shounen.

My personal favorite is magical girl fights. Girls punching and blasting the shit out of bad guys, hell monsters even is such an inherently cool concept. I love it. It helps that they are for the most part directed and animated by Toei's best.

That's not to say, Dragon Ball is entirely bad. Yama'uchi and Nishio episodes do have some genuinely good battle choreography. Some of the films like DBZ Movie #1, #2 and #12 are also nice. But, I wouldn't call them great.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:17 am

They're very intense and hot-blooded and have just enough fun to be enjoyable. I find them awesome and in a class of their own.

Of course, DB specializes in unbreakable limit-breaking warriors. Most action anime have fighters with weaknesses/limitations who come up with strategies and tactics in combat (Jojo, One Piece, Fairy Tail). DB does tactics too, but not so much.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Dragon Ball is easily at the top of the food chain when it comes to fights. The anime is poorly paced and tosses in too much filler and waiting around, but the manga is phenomenal.

Toriyama’s fights are beautifully choreographed and super smooth. You never have to stop and think about what’s happening on a panel because the art is so crystal clear. Every action comes alive on the page. Toriyama doesn’t get enough credit for how well he frames scenes and fights.

The Z-era fights tend to get a bad rap since there’s this notion that the martial arts aspect is phased out and, while there is a greater emphasis on Ki and signature attacks, the Z-era fights are just as good if not better.

Goku versus Vegeta is a flawless battle. The entire Freeza fight is an endurance match like no other. Goku versus Cell is a perfect showcase of Goku’s abilities and techniques. Even the Boo arc manages to have some of the slickest action in the series despite most of the fights falling on the short side.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:32 pm

The Freeza fight is an endurance battle, I'll give you that.

I've lost that fight every time I've tried for the last 5 years.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:34 pm

I absolutely love it. I always read it in one burst whenever I reread the manga. You really feel the struggle and there are some amazing character moments sprinkled throughout the whole fight.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:13 pm

One of the biggest issue with DB is that the fights go on for too long. In the manga, it's better but still could have been done better. Fist of the North Star, YYH and even The Guyver have handle it better with long epic fights in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:59 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:now that we have so many different battle animes we can experience so many different types of anime fights like the Ninja fights in Naruto, Sword Fights in Bleach or Rurouni Kenshin or Magical girls fight in Sailor Moon or even other martial arts fights in History's strongest disciple Kenichi.

I dont mean to promote my pet series too much but its Pretty Cure that has the most intense Magical Girl fights. From the mind of Daisuke Nishio himself even! (He directed DBZ and Futari Wa Pretty Cure.) They closely resemble old school DBZ fights animated with the best talent Toei can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHfSZn3USk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3yv9SjYoHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b19yWkHELRM
yeah i can see the influence of Dragon Ball fights in it.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

xarmyz

Post by xarmyz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball, as far as battle anime goes, wasn't even the best of it's era. That honor belongs YuYu Hakusho, in my opinion.

Dragon Ball fights (in any animated capacity) sure as hell haven't got anything on what many anime have produced since the Dragon Ball anime franchise winded down in 1997.
I vehemently disagree. The only consistently good fights in YYH were in the Dark Tournament arc. (which is also the only really great part of the series) The Spirit Detective arc fights were generic and forgettable as can be while the Sensui arc started with the interesting concept of Territory fights but that gets throw out the window for a very route and predictable DBZ-lite fight with Sensui that ends in an anti-climatic curbstomp and features the absolute worst asspull in all Shonen fighting series (Yusuke was a Yokai all along which is totally not a copy of Goku's being an alien revel!) And the Three Kings arc was even more pale intimation DBZ fights in an arc that Togashi was massively phoning in and that Studio Parrot could only make lemonade of the lemons they were given.

Dragonball fights at their very best such as Goku vs Jackie Chun, Goku vs Tenshinhan, Goku vs Piccolo Jr., Goku, Gohan vs Vegeta, Goku vs Freeza, Piccolo vs 17, Goku vs Cell, Goku vs Majin Vegeta, Goku, Vegeta and Fat Buu vs Kid Buu, Goku vs Beerus BoG-version and Vegito vs Zamasu or certain fights in the ToP blow Hakusho's out of the water and fair amount of others I could name too.

There are some I could say have superior action like JoJo or Hunter x Hunter (when it decides to ACTUALLY have fights that is) or various action anime series done by Studio Bones but honestly that's like comparing apples and grapes and tomatoes to oranges in the end. But yes, I do believe that Dragon Ball is still a foremost king of the field some 30 years later.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 pm

xarmyz wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball, as far as battle anime goes, wasn't even the best of it's era. That honor belongs YuYu Hakusho, in my opinion.

I vehemently disagree. The only consistently good fights in YYH were in the Dark Tournament arc. (which is also the only really great part of the series) The Spirit Detective arc fights were generic and forgettable as can be while the Sensui arc started with the interesting concept of Territory fights but that gets throw out the window for a very route and predictable DBZ-lite fight with Sensui that ends in an anti-climatic curbstomp and features the absolute worst asspull in all Shonen fighting series (Yusuke was a Yokai all along which is totally not a copy of Goku's being an alien revel!) And the Three Kings arc was even more pale intimation DBZ fights in an arc that Togashi was massively phoning in and that Studio Parrot could only make lemonade of the lemons they were given.

Dragonball fights at their very best such as Goku vs Jackie Chun, Goku vs Tenshinhan, Goku vs Piccolo Jr., Goku, Gohan vs Vegeta, Goku vs Freeza, Piccolo vs 17, Goku vs Cell, Goku vs Majin Vegeta, Goku, Vegeta and Fat Buu vs Kid Buu, Goku vs Beerus BoG-version and Vegito vs Zamasu or certain fights in the ToP blow Hakusho's out of the water and fair amount of others I could name too.

There are some I could say have superior action like JoJo or Hunter x Hunter (when it decides to ACTUALLY have fights that is) or various action anime series done by Studio Bones but honestly that's like comparing apples and grapes and tomatoes to oranges in the end. But yes, I do believe that Dragon Ball is still a foremost king of the field some 30 years later.
That's you opinion and you can certainly maintain that. But I find YuYu Hakusho (the anime) to be far better directed, consistent (in terms of animation and artstyle), better paced and just an overall better show compared to Dragon Ball (in both animes). If we're strictly speaking in terms of manga specifically, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure also had better fights at its time.

Dragon Ball fights, in both the anime and manga, are good for their context, but their nowhere near the best. I could name twenty animes of the top of my head that have better fights than Dragon Ball.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
xarmyz wrote:

That's you opinion and you can certainly maintain that. But I find YuYu Hakusho (the anime) to be far better directed, consistent (in terms of animation and artstyle), better paced and just an overall better show compared to Dragon Ball (in both animes). If we're strictly speaking in terms of manga specifically, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure also had better fights at its time.

Dragon Ball fights, in both the anime and manga, are good for their context, but their nowhere near the best. I could name twenty animes of the top of my head that have better fights than Dragon Ball.
Yes, Direction, Pacing and Characterization wise Yuu Yuu Hakusho is definitely better than Dragon Ball. but, in my opinion it isn't vastly better, tbh. Aside from having some good character writing, the majority of it's plot focuses on a tournament arc pretty standard in it's execution, before degrading in quality every bit as much as the later arcs of DBZ from the end of the Chapter Black and entirety of it's Three Kings Arc, primarily through asspull power ups and the power creep it causes, made even more irritating by how the start of the Chapter Black Arc suggested a shift towards more strategic abilities. The flaws of Dragon Ball are just as present in Yuu Yuu Hakusho , not to mention that the series' best qualities and Togashi's exploration of ideas are far better done in Hunter X Hunter.
I'm not saying that YYH is bad, but that it isn't free from Plot Holes and just like DB/Z it also has them.
xarmyz wrote:There are some I could say have superior action like JoJo or Hunter x Hunter (when it decides to ACTUALLY have fights that is) or various action anime series done by Studio Bones but honestly that's like comparing apples and grapes and tomatoes to oranges in the end.
whats your Opinion on fights in Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood, Naruto and Bleach fights compared to Dragon Ball Fights?

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Bullza wrote:They're usually much better because they actually do get on with it and actually fight.

They're not constantly screaming out the name of techniques every single time they do something. These other series are also very reliant on these techniques.

Its a constant red light, green light scenario, where one character will do a technique, then they'll stop fighting as everyone comments on the technique and what it does and all that, then we wait to see whether it either it had a big effect or no effect at all in which case the other character will do his technique and it all starts over again.

At least in Dragon Ball when they fight, it resembles a fight, they punch people in the face, they block kicks, move, dodge etc. Other series are like rock, paper, scissors most of the time.
It sounds like you haven't actually watched any of those shows to be honest.